The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #7341
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Facebook on Charlie Gard: "This is why socialized medicine fails!!!"

Um...

No.

That poor kid's situation is tragic, as it is for his parents. But socialized medicine has nothing to do with it. The doctors made the right call not to prolong the suffering the family is going through, especially since he'd have no quality of life.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #7342
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Facebook on Charlie Gard: "This is why socialized medicine fails!!!"

Um...

No.

That poor kid's situation is tragic, as it is for his parents. But socialized medicine has nothing to do with it. The doctors made the right call not to prolong the suffering the family is going through, especially since he'd have no quality of life.
No thats ********. That kid MIGHT have had a chance if the doctors hadn't kept the parents from trying anything to keep him alive...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #7343
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
those tend to be the ones that for whatever reason don't wind up in the friend zone IRL. if you're nice and respectful you tend to either get ignored as boring, or put in friend zone real fast. at least my experience.

no height or beard doesn't help either
No doubt... too nice & you don't get taken seriously. Say you really care and want a shot t being their s/o and they laugh in your face...
Old 07-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #7344
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Dude's who think The Friendzone is a real thing that exists.
Guess it's just easier than accepting the fact that having romantic feelings for someone doesn't obligate them to return them.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #7345
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. There is nothing wrong with sincere LEGIT nice (not that fake 'nice guy' agenda crap), that kind of nice is great, but even if you're a really nice (or even straight up awesome) person it doesn't mean someone you're into is going to feel the same in return. If there is just no 'spark' or the looks just aren't what catches her eye (or his, I mean it does go both/all ways), it is what it is, you can't change that...
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #7346
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Guess it's just easier than accepting the fact that having romantic feelings for someone doesn't obligate them to return them.
Maybe chics shouldn't flirt with dudes they don't like... don't lead a dude on if you don't have any interest.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #7347
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, gotta agree with you there. There is nothing wrong with sincere LEGIT nice (not that fake 'nice guy' agenda crap), that kind of nice is great, but even if you're a really nice (or even straight up awesome) person it doesn't mean someone you're into is going to feel the same in return. If there is just no 'spark' or the looks just aren't what catches her eye (or his, I mean it does go both/all ways), it is what it is, you can't change that...
Exactly. Being nice to some one isn't a golden ticket into their pants. And if you're being nice to someone in order to get into your their pants, I've got news for you....you're not that nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Maybe chics shouldn't flirt with dudes they don't like... don't lead a dude on if you don't have any interest.
Maybe dudes should stop treating 'chics' like they're vending machines that you put nice into, and get sex out of.

XKCD is so great for this conversation:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #7348
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Yeah, apparently being regarded as a friend is punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
No thats ********. That kid MIGHT have had a chance if the doctors hadn't kept the parents from trying anything to keep him alive...
The therapy was not a cure. Nucleoside Bypass Therapy hasn't even been tested by any medical trial in the US nor been used on someone with the child's specific mitochondrial disease.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #7349
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yo, for real. You can tell dudes in this thread are suuuuuper salty about something like that. As if being nice and respectful is a reason to jump on someone's dick.
Like many things, I never knew it was a thing until people started moaning about it on the internet.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #7350
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

The therapy was not a cure. Nucleoside Bypass Therapy hasn't even been tested by any medical trial in the US nor been used on someone with the child's specific mitochondrial disease.
Americans pissed about this kid often times conveniently forget that the treatment the child has already undergone would likely bankrupt the family if they lived here.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #7351
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The biggest thing is that Charlie DOESN'T have a chance, which is why the UK doctors had to make the tough call to stop treating him. Because as sad as it is to let a literal baby die from his condition, it's barbaric to put him through a therapy that hasn't had any testing, and would only force him to grow up with no quality of life, having to depend on doctors and hospitalization until the day he dies. Which is happening anyway.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #7352
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah, apparently being regarded as a friend is punishment.
obviously it isn't, oy..

but being nice tends to mean 'boring' to most. and either mentally or subconsciously they tend to write you off romantically and go off looking for more interesting specimens that are less milk toast..
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #7353
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:

but being nice tends to mean 'boring' to most.
Because it is! If all you are is nice then you've got a terrible personality!

Also, I believe you mean milquetoast, not milk toast. Don't use words you can't spell.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #7354
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

First, it's "milquetoast". Second, it doesn't help you're "I'm a nice guy" argument when you whine about how women won't date you. Because if you were a truly "nice" person, you wouldn't be using that as a defining point of your personality...especially these days. "Nice guy" has become the 2010's "desperate", even if it was unintentional.

And as a woman, looking at men who say they're "nice guys" who "can't catch a break", I get suspicious. If you have to tell us upfront you're "a nice guy", we think the opposite. If we think a man is "nice", it's because we've determined it for ourselves without having to be told.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 07-24-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #7355
plastroncafe

The only common denominator in all our failed relationships is ourselves.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #7356
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunno... I never considered 'nice' and 'interesting' to be mutually exclusive. It's only boring if someone's main focus in life seems to be earning someone else's attention/affection and/or clinging to them rather than still also living their own life and having interesting interests, hobbies, passions, work, etc to bring to the table. (Not necessarily all required or in that order of course.)

If a person's friend asked them to tell her/him about the person they've been seeing/talking to and all they had to say was "he/she's nice," I think that would understandably sound pretty dull and "why bother" if there doesn't seem to be anything they could actually click over or admire/respect/appreciate in the other person.

edit: I'm not going to sit here and act like I'm all that interesting myself, I'm sure I'm pretty dull to plenty and I'm not even the sort that likes talking about myself much. I'm not really one for living a wild crazy life and I'm fine with it if a guy prefers a rather tranquil life too that isn't going to sound too interesting to some others. I do not however want to be his hobby nor the only thing he has going. There might be some high maintenance women who want to be the center of everything, but those who are not are prob going to be turned off by a guy trying to make her that. I'd far rather be able to tell friends about the things he's passionate about, the stuff he values, etc... and that he's a total sweetie on top of it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-24-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #7357
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I dunno... I never considered 'nice' and 'interesting' to be mutually exclusive.
Who said that they are? I said if that's ALL you've got going for you, then yeah, you boring as ****. But someone can be nice AND funny AND smart AND interesting. Let's be real, though, Vegita-San claims to be a nice guy, but we know he isn't due to all the complaining he does. He isn't funny either, and he sure isn't smart with his "milk toast" spelling. The most unique thing about him is being a 40 year old virgin.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #7358
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"Courteous" and "nice" aren't mutually exclusive either, which I think is what most "Nice Guys™" mistake for "nice". Which is another thing you never do when you anticipate getting a girlfriend. We can open our own doors. We can pull out our own seats. And it's yet one more thing that you never, ever verbally express to a woman.

You might not notice it if you spend an entire date complaining about things, but women do, and it's off putting.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #7359
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Who said that they are? I said if that's ALL you've got going for you, then yeah, you boring as ****.
Don't assume it was in response to you, it wasn't.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #7360
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

You right, homie, you right. My bad.