The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #21
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Since we're talking about documentaries... does anyone care that they are often full of s**t? I ask because I don't really. I love King of Kong, but from what I hear it plays pretty fast and loose with the truth, and Pumping Iron may as well be scripted... but I don't care as long as they're well made and entertaining.

I don't know what that says about me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Any good documentary has to twist an angle and edit it so there can be a narrative, that doesn't mean "bad" for them to do it since it's what you have to do to make it more compelling.

But yeah you have to take it with a grain of salt and know that it's not all "one sided" like documentaries make it out to be, whether it's blackfish or even an inconvenient truth which are both excellent documentaries and I'm on "their" side of the issue, you have to know that they choose the interview scenes to make people look "bad' or "good" depending on their narrative.

Using King of Kong as an example, the "bad guy" Billy Mitchell is actually one of the the "good guys" in "man vs snake". He was really mad how he was portrayed in King of Kong but he made such an excellent villain there, not to mention that even if that angle was played out, you can tell from interviews that Mitchell even if not the huge Jerk that he is in king of kongs, definitely has a "strong" personality and likely a Trump voter but he isn't a huge ****ing bad guy as much as Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows plays in the background and with your feelings.
Yeah film makers do have a point of view in which they focus the story. I don't watch thinking the films are completely accurate. I understand most film makers shape the movie through their partial experience of the subject, and that this partial knowledge is often translated into a complete truth. I watch for entertainment and to be informed of another's perspective. It doesn't bother me that the films have a message or agenda. It also doesn't bother me if scripted or one perspective is left out. I understand there are two sides of the story and try not to let my own opinion be shaped to much by the film. Blackfish did make me hate Seaworld.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #22
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yeah film makers do have a point of view in which they focus the story. I don't watch thinking the films are completely accurate. I understand most film makers shape the movie through their partial experience of the subject, and that this partial knowledge is often translated into a complete truth. I watch for entertainment and to be informed of another's perspective. It doesn't bother me that the films have a message or agenda. It also doesn't bother me if scripted or one perspective is left out. I understand there are two sides of the story and try not to let my own opinion be shaped to much by the film. Blackfish did make me hate Seaworld.
I agree. You have to go in with your eyes open, but a good movie is a good movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Using King of Kong as an example, the "bad guy" Billy Mitchell is actually one of the the "good guys" in "man vs snake". He was really mad how he was portrayed in King of Kong but he made such an excellent villain there, not to mention that even if that angle was played out, you can tell from interviews that Mitchell even if not the huge Jerk that he is in king of kongs, definitely has a "strong" personality and likely a Trump voter but he isn't a huge ****ing bad guy as much as Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows plays in the background and with your feelings.
I've heard Billy Mitchell is pretty cool; he still comes off as a bit of a tool in other things I've seen him in though. I do feel bad for Brian Kuh. The way they edited that whole Funspot section made him look like a total creep, but apparently a lot of it was used out of order and recontextualized. The story needed him to be LeFou to Billy Mitchell's Gaston, but that was mostly created in editing. Still a great movie though.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #23
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 6,940
Is there a way to watch Batman and Bill without a Hulu account? I have been wanting to see that one.

Ken Burns Baseball(1994/2010), the ten inning(part) documentary series truly captures the spirit of the sport.

Ken Burns Civil War(1990)is a great insight look at what the average person was going through.

America: The Story of US(2010)is an engaging series that can unterest the average viewer. I can attedt to that through showing parts in class. The downside is it skips over WWI and has four commenters that would go on to become infamous a short while later.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,826
Your Inner Fish - A three-part documentary covering the most primordial traits of humans that goes back millions of years to the first fish to develop spines

Nine Months that Made You - Not really talking about fetal development, but more about the genetic "ticks" that can change in the midst of fetal development. Like how extra fingers develop, or how someone's organs can be "opposite" of how they are for others.

I'm currently watching Morphed: When Whales had Legs....and I just can't with the narrator's voice . It's so deep!
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #25
ProphetofGanja
Mad Scientist
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Your Inner Fish - A three-part documentary covering the most primordial traits of humans that goes back millions of years to the first fish to develop spines

Nine Months that Made You - Not really talking about fetal development, but more about the genetic "ticks" that can change in the midst of fetal development. Like how extra fingers develop, or how someone's organs can be "opposite" of how they are for others.

I'm currently watching Morphed: When Whales had Legs....and I just can't with the narrator's voice . It's so deep!
All those sound really cool
__________________
"Wait... what?"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #26
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,826
They really are cool. Though, the best part of the Inner Fish is just the fish part. There's also two parts after that, but they're not nearly as fascinating. The others being Inner Reptile and Inner Monkey.

I've found that when things get into Ape Ancestry on human biology, things get a little more "meh". It happened in Walking with Cavemen too.

Speaking of which...

Walking with Dinosaurs, though obviously outdated by now, is a classing. But Walking with Beasts (post-dinosaur mammals) and Walking with Monsters (pre-dinosaur arthropods/reptiles) are also great. Walking With Cavemen is the last installment, but starting with the absence of the original narrator, it's just missing something that the other three had.

I personally like to watch them in "chronological order"
Monsters, Dinosaurs, Beasts, and Cavemen if I'm bothered.

9 Months has some portions that are extremely fascinating, such as a population in the Dominican Republic where there's a high rate biological boys are born looking like biological girls, called "Guevedoces", who don't develop their...maleness...until around the time they start puberty. Another is a separate East Indian population where the entire population is literally colorblind, seeing the world in black and white. Which of course means enormous complications during daytime, and tremendous advantages at night.
__________________

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 07-26-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #27
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Is there a way to watch Batman and Bill without a Hulu account? I have been wanting to see that one.
Hulu is how I watched it so I am uncertain if it's available other places. Wish I was more of a help. Worth tracking down forsure.


Seen 'Back In Time' which was mentioned previously in this thread. Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed it. Surprising that Ernest Cline was in parts of it considering I had just found out who he was from the 'Ready Player One' threads.

Also watched 'Deep Web' (2015) it explored the events surrounding Silk Road, bitcoin & the issues around the dark web.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #28
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,403
I loved Walking with Dinosaurs when it came out but watched it like 3 years ago and it didn't hold up, it's still good but I remember thinking it was the best documentary ever. I remember finding walking with monsters a bit boring, I need to check out the other ones though. I remember around 2010 I think we got a few Dinosaur documentaries but don't remember their names.

Deep Web is not a great representation of the deep web and what those services are, it's ok but it can mislead people.

I've been tempted in watching Back in Time and Ghostcorps but if I'm a fan of those movies I just don't see what I could find interesting in those documentaries.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #29
Spike Spiegel
Welcome Back, Samus!
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Your Inner Fish - A three-part documentary covering the most primordial traits of humans that goes back millions of years to the first fish to develop spines
This was one of the final nails in the coffin as I was deconverting from a fundamentalist, Biblical-literalist Christian to a more secular, science-based viewpoint. The bit about why human testicles are located outside the body particularly surprised me.

After recently viewing them, I recommend:

Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story

Quote:
Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story is a 2008 U.S. documentary on the campaign tactics used by Lee Atwater, while working on the George H. W. Bush's 1988 presidential election campaign, and how those tactics have transformed presidential campaigns in the United States.
The Central Park Five

Quote:
The Central Park Five is a 2012 documentary film about the Central Park jogger case, directed by documentary filmmaker Ken Burns, his daughter Sarah Burns, and her husband David McMahon.[1] It was released in the US on November 23, 2012.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #30
Storm Eagle
Saved by
 
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,426
For those of you who might be fans of The Clash, I just remembered I'm currently borrowing a documentary about Joe Strummer from the library. It's called The Future is Unwritten.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.