The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #2121
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Why are you publishing Robotanimals? Is there a contractual obligation to release a certain number of Nick themed issues? Did you decide the Nick Turtles were worth one more series after the Batman crossover sold so well? Did you simply have a few completed issues that were postponed due to the crossover? Did you simply feel like it?

It just seems a little strange to me that you would publish a comic tie-in to show that's basically over when the last issue hits, especially when the previous tie-ins ended up getting outright cancelled. Don't mean to be rude, just a little confused
It's a mildly long, confusing tale. We had originally planned to do four mini-graphic novels centered around each Turtle, but publishing plans had to change in accordance with the new show coming out. In short, Robotanimals is a different form of one of those pitches that the company saw merit in printing.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #2122
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
It's a mildly long, confusing tale. We had originally planned to do four mini-graphic novels centered around each Turtle, but publishing plans had to change in accordance with the new show coming out. In short, Robotanimals is a different form of one of those pitches that the company saw merit in printing.
That's more interesting than anything I imagined, what were the pitches?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #2123
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Nothing I can get into, sorry!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #2124
CyberCubed
Overlord

So Robotanimals #3 will indeed be the final Nick era comic from IDW? Not counting stuff like trades or re-releases of course.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #2125
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

That is correct, unless we revisit that iteration at some point in the future. With the new Nick cartoon coming, that's a little hard to picture in the coming years.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #2126
neatoman
Emperor

By "the company" did you mean IDW or Viacom.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #2127
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Hello. Are the IDW TMNT comics that you work on published in languages other than English? If yes, what languages and what locations around the world are the comics sold? Thanks.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 AM   #2128
bushido
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Hello. Are the IDW TMNT comics that you work on published in languages other than English? If yes, what languages and what locations around the world are the comics sold? Thanks.
First four volumes were published in France by Soleil (owned by Delcourt) but then they stopped the publication. They publish the Nickelodeon comics time to time. The Batman/TMNT crossover was published here by Urban Comics because they publishing a lot of DC books.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #2129
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
By "the company" did you mean IDW or Viacom.
I meant IDW.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #2130
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I couldn't tell you, sorry!
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #2131
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
First four volumes were published in France by Soleil (owned by Delcourt) but then they stopped the publication. They publish the Nickelodeon comics time to time. The Batman/TMNT crossover was published here by Urban Comics because they publishing a lot of DC books.

Faut croire qu'en france, TMNT se vend moins...
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #2132
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Hey Bobby,

It's been quite awhile since we had any micro-series... could we maybe get a Mutanimals-themed micro-series sometime down the road, each issue focusing on a different member?

Also, how did IDW decide it could support two ongoing series, the main line and Universe as well? What were the criteria for success?

Finally, how on earth did you guys manage to pull off 2017? Two five-week mini-series, two ongoings, and the Usagi crossover? With so much material to write, draw, edit, and plan, it seems like this year must have taken some convincing for people to go along with it!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #2133
ChosenOne
Banned

Bobby,

Was Lord Dregg considered for an appearance in Trial of Krang/Dimension X? I feel that he would've filled in the part of the crime lord who puts the bounty out on Ace rather well.

Also, and I know this might be spoilery so I fully expect the usual noncommittal reply, are there any plans at all for Lord Dregg to appear in the future?

Apart from Armaggon, he's probably the only major name in the list of popular franchise villains that have yet to grace the pages of the IDW TMNT.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #2134
bushido
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
Faut croire qu'en france, TMNT se vend moins...
En France, la majorité des comics TMNT n'ont pas été publié donc pour la majorité, cette franchise c'est pour les enfants ou au mieux pour les geeks nostalgiques mais toujours liée au dessin animé de 87. D'ailleurs beaucoup de gens ne connaissent que ce dessin animé et c'est la seule vision qu'ils ont de la licence. Le pire c'est que certains connaissent l'existence des comics plus "matures" mais n'ont aucune envie de les découvrir peut être par peur de briser leur nostalgie d'enfance. Soleil/Delcourt n'a pas cherché à faire d'effort pour l'éditer correctement non plus. Vraiment triste...

In France, the majority of the TMNT comics haven't been released so for the majority, this franchise is for children or at best for nostalgic geeks but still related to the 87 cartoon. Moreover many people only know this cartoon and that is the only vision they have of the license. The worst is that some know the existence of comics more "mature" but have no desire to discover them maybe by fear of breaking their childhood nostalgia. Soleil/Delcourt didn't try to make an effort to publish them properly either. Really sad...

Last edited by bushido; 08-23-2017 at 01:57 PM.
bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #2135
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hey Bobby,

It's been quite awhile since we had any micro-series... could we maybe get a Mutanimals-themed micro-series sometime down the road, each issue focusing on a different member?

Also, how did IDW decide it could support two ongoing series, the main line and Universe as well? What were the criteria for success?

Finally, how on earth did you guys manage to pull off 2017? Two five-week mini-series, two ongoings, and the Usagi crossover? With so much material to write, draw, edit, and plan, it seems like this year must have taken some convincing for people to go along with it!
It seems like Universe is where we'd tell those sorts of stories now. (it's not a perfect fit, but TMNT U #11 with Sally and Ray sorta feels like a micro to me).

I think it was just a matter of realizing that whatever secondary TMNT title we do does well enough in sales that it just made sense to consolidate into a single new line. I go back and forth on this a lot. Sometimes I feel like we miss marketing attention on a great story like Karai's Path because it's not it's own mini-series. But at the same time we get to do single issue stories that we might not be able to find a place for (like U#5 or the aforementioned #11). So, it's a mixed bag in my opinion.

And thanks. Don't forget FCBD and that TMNT #75 is double sized! Haven't pulled it all off yet. Honestly, I would have had us do a lot less this year, feels like too much, but perhaps i'm biased. I'll just say that this year has not been pleasant in terms of work load. :howell: Anyway, the reason for the extra material is an odd mix of notable opportunities and milestones combined with business needs. 2018 should (I hope!) be much more low key, so don't get too spoiled with the amount of TMNT comics.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #2136
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Bobby,

Was Lord Dregg considered for an appearance in Trial of Krang/Dimension X? I feel that he would've filled in the part of the crime lord who puts the bounty out on Ace rather well.

Also, and I know this might be spoilery so I fully expect the usual noncommittal reply, are there any plans at all for Lord Dregg to appear in the future?

Apart from Armaggon, he's probably the only major name in the list of popular franchise villains that have yet to grace the pages of the IDW TMNT.
For Dregg in Dimension X #4, no, wasn't considered. At least not that I know of, that's a question for Ryan Ferrier. and indeed, can't say anything beyond that.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #2137
nimajneb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
En France, la majorité des comics TMNT n'ont pas été publié donc pour la majorité, cette franchise c'est pour les enfants ou au mieux pour les geeks nostalgiques mais toujours liée au dessin animé de 87. D'ailleurs beaucoup de gens ne connaissent que ce dessin animé et c'est la seule vision qu'ils ont de la licence. Le pire c'est que certains connaissent l'existence des comics plus "matures" mais n'ont aucune envie de les découvrir peut être par peur de briser leur nostalgie d'enfance. Soleil/Delcourt n'a pas cherché à faire d'effort pour l'éditer correctement non plus. Vraiment triste...

In France, the majority of the TMNT comics haven't been released so for the majority, this franchise is for children or at best for nostalgic geeks but still related to the 87 cartoon. Moreover many people only know this cartoon and that is the only vision they have of the license. The worst is that some know the existence of comics more "mature" but have no desire to discover them maybe by fear of breaking their childhood nostalgia. Soleil/Delcourt didn't try to make an effort to publish them properly either. Really sad...
Are sites like Comixology of any help to push international sales?

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 AM   #2138
bushido
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimajneb View Post
Are sites like Comixology of any help to push international sales?
Digital books aren't really popular here and people don't read them in english.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #2139
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:

That sounds awful to me.....I hope y'all get more access to these awesome books sometime soon.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #2140
Diorm
Hench Mutant

It's very very much the same over here in Quebec. Everything you just said. It's really sad.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz