The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #121
Vegita-San
Emperor

yeah. agreed. they used their weapons all the time, just not on living opponents...

and the stupid humor about the sewer grates being heavier, and the fire hydrants being stronger...ugh....don't get me started on pushing over light empty boxes and laughing...
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #122
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I liked how Nick Bebop and Rocksteady were so scared of the Shredder's reputation that the 80s Shredder was initially able to beat them both, only to then later get beaten himself.

Speaking of 80s Shredder, he might always be losing because of his arrogance but the guy can take one hell of a beating and still stand up, making him pretty persistent and durable. He got beaten by B&R, had Krang's android body fall on top of him twice, got beaten by Karai, had both Leos kick him at full force, even endured a smack on the head by Leatherhead and still got up. Toonforce I guess.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #123
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

So my review time

Let's start with the positives. The OT has the original cast back save (James Avery R.I.P.) and it's nice to hear them again sounding much better than Transdimenional Turtles, just needed to clear the rust off it seems? I like how Bebop & Rocksteady played off of OT Shredder at times and there ever so colorful string of insults are always a joy to hear.

As strange as this might sound the Turtles complaining about the complacency in their lives is very similar to the beginning of City at War. Even down to Leo being dissatisfied to being downsized to neighborhood watch. Odd place to have that reference but I'll take it all the same.

I see the universal constant of Bebop & Rocksteady ruining Shredder & Krangs plans still rings true even in another dimension, although my gripe is this being the same way the Turtles we're saved in Turtles Forever. Inside jokes were a plenty such as OT Leonardo being the only one taking being a ninja seriously (but then he doesn't, more on that later) All and all I liked what I liked.

Now for the negatives...
Seems like none of the crossovers can get the OT Turtles completely right. It started well with them being in character right until after they get captured. Then the only one who stayed in character was OT Raphael.

OT Leo shouted out his catch phrases at the most random of times instead when he is about to lead them into battle. Like yelling it out when he was locked up was just dumb. Not taking offense to the fact another set of Turtles question their skills when in Turtles Forever they did.
Spoiler:

Was right there with the other three on taking a pizza break when usually he is the wet blanket straight man of the show. Not that OT Leonardo wasn't silly just less so than the other three. I get the joke that he's never used his Katana's on humans but he's never had an issue swinging it in their direction and has stabbed plenty of things that weren't robots. So Nick Raph's comment about it being a glorified pizza cutter should've rub him a little wrong.
Spoiler:

OT Don While he wasn't ragged on by his counterparts as much he was a lot less grumpy than usual. OT never quite lost his temper but he always seem to be grumpy about a lot of things, usually about the other three doing something or feeling underappreciated. He got the better treatment other than looking like a joke in nearly every fight. Or even training...

OT Mikey Was actually sort of bland. Like he wasn't entirely in character? It's a little hard to describe. Nothing he did wasn't something I didn't expect from the guy but it's almost like he wasn't doing things I should expect from him?

OT Shredder may be a pushover but he was never really cowardly, that's about the only complaint I have against him.

Now to my biggest issue with the entire special. The Turtles needed to train to be competent fighters. Look I get that their method of fighting is orthodox and at times downright silly but even Turtles Forever never said they were incapable. In fact the only thing that bother them in that special was that they thought the Turtles were too goofy. The Training montage made no sense to me given I've seen the OT Turtles pull of basic forms. And the hackney sacks at OT Michelangelo was a missed opportunity to recreate this moment

props to having OT Raph be lazy when they were going through movements as he was rather lazy in the show. But OT Leonardo not being able to recreate such simple forms seemed out of character. Not being able to take down simple Foot bots who were really competent in this special for some reason? Not trying to fight Shredder was another thing I found weird as OT Leo always left the henchmen to the other Turtles to pursue the ring leader of any fight they were in.(But that is a nitpik) My final grade for this special would be a 6/10.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #124
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Since Krang had his own rock soldiers in Dimension X, why does he need to borrow from the Kraang?

Welcome to the Kraang's Dimension X rock soldier service.

Rent a rock soldier for hire. 20 Dimension X dollar.

Kraang's Dimension X rock soldier service. Rock soldiers for hire!

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 09-16-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #125
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
Now to my biggest issue with the entire special. The Turtles needed to train to be competent fighters. Look I get that their method of fighting is orthodox and at times downright silly but even Turtles Forever never said they were incapable. In fact the only thing that bother them in that special was that they thought the Turtles were too goofy. The Training montage made no sense to me given I've seen the OT Turtles pull of basic forms. And the hackney sacks at OT Michelangelo was a missed opportunity to recreate this moment
http://i.imgur.com/YP7Kiak.gif.
That one got me a bit miffed. We've seen in the opening credits that Mikey can totally bash those sacks, but they made him inept for little reason.

I'd love to go back and find the episodes of the FW series, probably all pilot mind series stuff, that was "borrowed" for the 2D stuff.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #126
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I don't understand why people think this was disrespectful to the 80s turtles, if anything it glorified them.
A big part of it is that the Nick turtles here acted like the 4kids turtles. Barring Mikey, they came off as if they were totally serious alllll the time. I mean, come on, they shoot sewer lids & garbage balls at their enemies, fight with food, use junk/clutter/environmental hazards to their benefit, run around in plain sight, etc. Tactics no different than the Fred Wolf turtles. But then they go & make their predecessors look like dopes for doing the same. & now they not only don't know how to fight, but have to be trained by these guys? C'mon, son. I get the joke, but there's a certain arrogance to it that I'm not entirely sure they've earned. Turtles Forever's treatment of this sorta thing felt a lot more justified because their universe was more serious, a Mirage offshoot which didn't really have any wackiness in it. Of course they'd be less tolerant of the happy-go-lucky characters/actions, & find humor in contrasting the two series' different tones. The Nick series on the other hand is a lot more similar to the Fred Wolf one than it thinks it is, if you ask me. That's not to say I don't love this version, it's my favorite of all the animated shows, but this particular arc didn't sit right with me on a whole.

Like Jester said, they couldn't even get through an homage to the opening sequence without making a fool of Michelangelo. We know he's got lightning fast hands which can bat away most projectiles, but here he can't even manage a few bean-bags? It's like revisionist history.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #127
Shredder_Fan
Foot Soldier

Are there screenshots of The Technodrome ??
Shredder_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #128
Overlord

Did Nicelodoen April lose her abilities after being zapped by Krang?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #129
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Did Nicelodoen April lose her abilities after being zapped by Krang?
No, she just fell unconscious and we didn't see her again until the end.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #130
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
No, she just fell unconscious and we didn't see her again until the end.
We don't see her using her abilities again after being zapped.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #131
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
We don't see her using her abilities again after being zapped.
She was unconscious, so by the time she woke up it was over so she didn't need to use them.

There was no indication of April losing her powers.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #132
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
She was unconscious, so by the time she woke up it was over so she didn't need to use them.

There was no indication of April losing her powers.
I still hope that's what happened.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #133
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
I still hope that's what happened.

I say this 1 more time

SHE DID NOT LOSE HER POWERS

SHE GOT ZAPPED BY KRANG AND FELL UNCONCIOUS

SHE DID NOT APPEAR AGAIN UNTIL THE END.

THE BATTLE WAS ALREADY OVER SO THERE WAS NO REASON FOR HER TO USE HER POWERS.

IF SHE LOST HER POWERS THEN IT WOULD OF BEEN MENTIONED.

Now can you stop with the stupid question, thanks.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #134
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Idk. It weird to me to nitpick the inconsistency of the OT turtles when the OT show was ridiculously inconsistent about almost everything lol. Yeah, they may be highly skilled in their world but they just aren't in the 2K12 world.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #135
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardshell View Post
Looks like The World's Finest (the guy who posted the screenshots) has two copies of the DVD to give away:

https://twitter.com/worldsfinest/sta...76143767183366
Thanks so much for sharing this! I actually won a copy from him, so I get to see this officially without paying ridiculous amounts for four episodes!
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #136
CyberCubed
Overlord

- I really enjoyed this, and I'm kinda surprised how Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady were the "real" main characters and all the Turtles were supporting characters. This was the Bebop and Rocksteady show, and that was pretty nice and surprising.

- I thought the original Turtles were fine. They have never been as good as fighting as the other Turtles, and Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady would of course be tough for them to take down. But when they did start fighting seriously they took out the Foot, the Rock soldiers, etc. Even Shredder had a competent moment.

- Shredder/Krang's banter was pretty good. It's almost as if they went through a checklist of all the ridiculous things they've done in the show. Krang in the shower, Chrome Dome shampoo, their gloating, Krang's fighting and Shredder calling them names. Lots of funny jokes there, "It's not 1987 anymore, we're in the union!" and a lot of other old funny references and jokes.

- Considering this is the last time we'll see them due to the 50 year timeskip, I have to say it was nice seeing the present April, Casey, Karai, Shinigami, Slash, Leatherhead and Mondo Gecko one last time. Pretty good sendoff for all of them.

- The original Turtles fight scenes when they got better was really good. Loved them going crazy on the Foot Soldiers.

- Bebop/Rocksteady saving the day and "turning good" was a great direction for them. As said they may join the Mutanimals. Pretty good sendoff for them considering what happened to Rahzar. Ironically enough between Tiger Claw calling a truce and Fishface going back to petty crime, and Baxter just being demutated....all of Shredder's henchmen in this show either turned good or gave up except for Chris Bradford who was the only death.

Lastly I enjoyed the ending. The original characters go back to their universe, I imagine eventually the Technodrome is zapped back over there too. It was damaged and not destroyed, so I can see how Shredder/Krang fix it up again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #137
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Ok, I just watched it and I can honestly say I'm disappointed. Can't any one from the new shows write the 80s turtles right? I could have sworn 80s Leo was a good swordsman
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #138
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Ok, I just watched it and I can honestly say I'm disappointed. Can't any one from the new shows write the 80s turtles right? I could have sworn 80s Leo was a good swordsman
He is a good swordsman in his own world, he just wasn't used to the Nick show's fighting style at first. But even then, the 80s turtles all learned to perfectly adapt to the Nick universe fighting style VERY quickly, because they are skilled fighters at their core.

Compare this to Timothy/Mutagen Man, whom Donnie trained for a long time and still sucked.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #139
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also I found a lot of Bebop/Rocksteady's dialogue pretty damn funny in this episode. I'd oddly say this is the funniest Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady have ever been.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #140
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also I found a lot of Bebop/Rocksteady's dialogue pretty damn funny in this episode. I'd oddly say this is the funniest Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady have ever been.
Yeah, part of that is because they were interacting with 80s Shredder and Krang alot which created a funny dynamic while they barely interacted with their own Shredder and never even met any Kraang I think.