The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #21
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 6,653
Hmm, so good flicks on that list! Out of those, I've seen:

Casablanca (mentioned earlier)
Grapes of Wrath (was for high school English)
Maltese Falcon (already mentioned)
Arsenic and Old Lace
Peter Pan
Singin' In the Rain (one of my faves!)
It's A Wonderful Life (and really, who HASN'T seen this? It's played almost to death every year at Christmas, LOL!)
To Kill A Mockingbird
Spartacus
King Kong vs Godzilla (hubby and I both love the old Kong and Godzilla movies!)
A Hard Day's Night
Batman: The Movie
Bullitt
Ghost and Mr. Chicken
Support Your Local Sheriff


And I'll add a few more of my own:

The Ten Commandments
Dracula (Lugosi original)
Nosferatu (the silent/first vampire film)
King Kong (original)
Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein/Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman(we are big fans of the old Universal Monster movies!)
Phantom of the Opera (the silent film)
The Invisible Man
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein(hilarious stuff!)
1,000,000 BC
Caveman (the Ringo Starr stinker lol!)
The Blob
Yellow Submarine (Beatles animated movie- trippy!)
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla Against Mothra- Battle for Earth
Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All-out Attack
Godzilla vs Rodan

Lol obviously there are a lot of old sci-fi/monster/horror movies in there. We are fond of watching Svenghoulie on Saturday nights to enjoy some fun classic horror and sci-fi flicks.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,720
Thanks to my aunt I've seen quite a few classic movies, most musicals. When I was very young I would visit her. With nothing to do at her house I would be stuck watching these old movies on VHS.

State Fair 1945
The Sound of Music 1956
Carousel 1956
The King and I 1956
Oklahoma 1955
Mary Poppins 1964
South Pacific 1958
The Music Man 1962
The Wizard of Oz 1939
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 1954
Giant 1956
Paint Your Wagon 1969

South Pacific is probably the worse and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers the best as far as the musicals go.

I've also seen a lot of Elvis movies thanks to my moms collection. Around my teenage years I went through a James Bond phase and have watched most of the films from 1960's-70's.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #23
DestronMirage22
Mad Scientist
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MO
Posts: 1,603
Not really a fan of older movies (I usually stick to stuff from the 70's to the present) but I do have a couple that I enjoy:

*The Godzilla movies (very entertaining movies that can provide a good laugh and that have good plot and effects for their time)

*The Wizard of Oz (a timeless classic)

*Marry Poppins (another classic)

*A Trip To The Moon (I've always really liked this one for some reason. Ever since I was little I liked the image of the Man in the Moon and being older now I can really appreciate the film as a whole)
__________________

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #24
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,847
Have not seen very many movies from the 60s/50s/40s. The majority are Lucille Ball movies because I love I Love Lucy and wanted to see what they were like. A few I really enjoyed were the first Annabel, Next Time I Marry, Two Smart People and The Long Long Trailer. Others ranged from ok to dumb imo.

Others from then Ive seen are The Haunting, 13 Ghosts, Old Dark House (the 60s remake), Send Me No Flowers (Rock Hudson comedy), The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (a Don Knotts comedy), a zombie movie I can't remember the name of and some Godzilla movies.

To be honest though I'm not that into these kinds of movies. I have nothing against them and I'll watch any I find interesting but from what I've seen you kinda had to be there to appreciate them because some things don't seem to have the affect they intended now.

I'll probably get criticized for this but the lack of even moderately convincing effects in action sequences really takes you out of the movie imo. I'm sure some could have done more, even for the time, but I guess budgets were a factor.

I'm more into old tv like Lucy, Munsters, Brady Bunch, Kotter, Sanford and Son, cartoons and game shows.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #25
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,832
One "classic" movie I recall seeing is called Father Goose, rented in the early DVD days of Netflix.

From what I recall, it was a comedy about a naval officer who goes to an island for reasons (spying reasons?) and ends up coming across a school teacher and her group of girl students. The officer and the teacher fall in love over the course of the movie.

This is one scene I have some vague memory of
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 AM   #26
drgon78
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,204
Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Wizard of Oz
The Wolfman
The Mummy
The Thin Man
Murder on the Orient Express
Rear Window
North by Northwest
Forbidden Planet
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Big Sleep
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Singin' in the Rain
It's a Wonderful Life
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Planet of the Apes
2001 A Space Odyssey
Ben-Hur
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Sabrina
Roman Holiday
Paris When it Sizzles
My Far Lady
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Duck Soup
Gone With the Wind
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
biganimefan
Foot Soldier
 
biganimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post

And I'll add a few more of my own:

The Ten Commandments
Dracula (Lugosi original)
Nosferatu (the silent/first vampire film)
King Kong (original)
Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein/Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman(we are big fans of the old Universal Monster movies!)
Phantom of the Opera (the silent film)
The Invisible Man
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein(hilarious stuff!)
1,000,000 BC
Caveman (the Ringo Starr stinker lol!)
The Blob
Yellow Submarine (Beatles animated movie- trippy!)
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla Against Mothra- Battle for Earth
Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All-out Attack
Godzilla vs Rodan

Lol obviously there are a lot of old sci-fi/monster/horror movies in there. We are fond of watching Svenghoulie on Saturday nights to enjoy some fun classic horror and sci-fi flicks.
lol, I honestly haven't seen that many of those...


The Ten Commandments-9.5/10

I think I was pretty tired and slept through most of Dracula when my Dad had it on a few years back.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
One "classic" movie I recall seeing is called Father Goose, rented in the early DVD days of Netflix.

From what I recall, it was a comedy about a naval officer who goes to an island for reasons (spying reasons?) and ends up coming across a school teacher and her group of girl students. The officer and the teacher fall in love over the course of the movie.

This is one scene I have some vague memory of

Loved Father Goose! One of my favorite Cary Grant movies. 9.5/10



Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Wizard of Oz
The Wolfman
The Mummy
The Thin Man
Murder on the Orient Express
Rear Window
North by Northwest
Forbidden Planet
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Big Sleep
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Singin' in the Rain
It's a Wonderful Life
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Planet of the Apes
2001 A Space Odyssey
Ben-Hur
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Sabrina
Roman Holiday
Paris When it Sizzles
My Far Lady
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Duck Soup
Gone With the Wind

Wizard of Oz-8/10. Not a bad movie at all, nice fun adventure.

The Thin Man-8.5/10-William Powell and Myrna Loy are great together and this wasn't a bad start.

Rear Window, North By Northwest, Casablanca, and The Maltese Falcon I talked about in an earlier post.

The Big Sleep(depends on which one you mean)-8/10. Probably the weakest and my least favorite of the Bogart and Bacall team-up but still quite good. Don't remember too much about the Robert Mitchum(1978 ) version.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre-7.5/10

It's a Wonderful Life I mentioned earlier up.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington-10/10. Honestly, Jimmy Stewart should have gotten the Oscar for this one rather than The Philadelphia Story the following year. 1939 was some seriously tough competition though.

Planet of the Apes-8.75/10

2001 A Space Odyssey-6/10. To be fair, it has been quite awhile but I remember it being very confusing to me.

Ben-Hur-9.75/10. Just saw this about a few months ago.

Breakfast at Tiffany's-8.5/10

Sabrina-8/10

Roman Holiday-10/10. Honestly refreshing that Hepburn and Peck didn't have a happily ever after together.

Duck Soup-?/10 Been too long since I've seen this.

Gone With the Wind-8.5/10. Don't get me wrong, great movie. Unfortunately Vivien Leigh's character is seriously annoying a lot of the time and probably didn't learn much by the end.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
To be honest though I'm not that into these kinds of movies. I have nothing against them and I'll watch any I find interesting but from what I've seen you kinda had to be there to appreciate them because some things don't seem to have the affect they intended now.

I'll probably get criticized for this but the lack of even moderately convincing effects in action sequences really takes you out of the movie imo. I'm sure some could have done more, even for the time, but I guess budgets were a factor.

I'm more into old tv like Lucy, Munsters, Brady Bunch, Kotter, Sanford and Son, cartoons and game shows.

Honestly, that's perfectly fine that you don't care much for old movies. For good action ones though, even though the effects may be lacking, try out some of the movies that were made during World War 2 about World War 2. Some great drama in some of them and if you can get into the mind set of the time period, can be quite scary with the prospect that the Nazis or Japanese could still win by the point some of these movies were made.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,622
My cut-off for old movies is about 1965 or so. For some reason I can't sit through older movies than that without getting bored. Old movies are just so, "slow" where it feels like it takes forever for the plot to get moving. I have no idea why that is.

I have watched through a bunch of old 50's movies at some time or another, and I can appreciate them for what they are and what they did for the movie industry, but they're difficult to watch now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.