The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
How do you know this?
Because science is not meant to answer everything. Its simply a model we use to explain natural 8
phenomena via observation and experiment. Nothing less, Nothing More.

Suggesting it is capable of answering questions outside of its realm is ludicrous.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Because science is not meant to answer everything.
But assuming all pertinent data is collected surrounding something... what exactly wouldn't it be able to explain, ever?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #23
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior
 
Splinter the boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Because science is not meant to answer everything. Its simply a model we use to explain natural 8
phenomena via observation and experiment. Nothing less, Nothing More.

Suggesting it is capable of answering questions outside of its realm is ludicrous.
Well said.
__________________
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But assuming all pertinent data is collected surrounding something... what exactly wouldn't it be able to explain, ever?
The fact that not all entities are scientifically measurable. Only physical entities of matter and energy are.

All non-physical entities in the modern scientific framework of physicalism and empircism are disregarded as illusions, they are never explained. Its the opposite of solipsism.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #25
AT-Man
I SEEN IT
 
AT-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 1,908
There might be limits to what humans can do with technology, but there's no limit to what can be done with technology, as long as resources are there.
__________________

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #26
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist
 
Cryomancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,022
There are probably theoretical practical limits like trying to build something that requires more material than exists in the universe but essentially there is no real ceiling. Plenty of things we can't do YET, sure. But as long as we're still around and still advancing we can get a little closer every time.

Sure there are things we can't measure, but eventually we might come up with a way to do so. A caveman could use fire but he couldn't accurately measure it's temperature. Nowadays you can just order a device to do that for you from the internet, you don't even have to be a scientist.
__________________

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #27
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I think technology can evolve to do almost anything. It just takes a long time for it to get better. So I believe teleportation will be possible eventually.

I think we probably have a small understanding of how powerful technology could be.

People think we live in a really high tech world but if you look at everything around us a lot of things are still, at basics, the same as they were 80-100 years ago. They've just gotten smaller and more efficent.

Like cars operate much better but are still just 4 wheels on a platform and an engine. Laptops/PCs are smaller and faster but there's nothing revolutionary about the machines themselves without the internet.

Things we see in movies have only recently become possible like sophisticated AI, virtual reality and 3D printing but they're all still in their infancy.

Medicine is one of the things that's probably improved the best since most illness or injury can be treated and surgery is not medieval trial and error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yes, there are limits, but those limits lie very far from our current capabilities.
It's like y'all took the words right out my mouth.

I do wonder if time travel could ever happen. It's difficult to imagine what 200, 500 or even 1000 years in the future will hold as far as science and technology advances go. And I know people say 'well then why aren't we visited by time travelers?' But the invention might have its limitations and only allow for present2future&back2present type of travel. So no traveling to the distant past.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #28
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
It's like y'all took the words right out my mouth.

I do wonder if time travel could ever happen. It's difficult to imagine what 200, 500 or even 1000 years in the future will hold as far as science and technology advances go. And I know people say 'well then why aren't we visited by time travelers?' But the invention might have its limitations and only allow for present2future&back2present type of travel. So no traveling to the distant past.
Ive actually been reading about time travel and some say it's theoretically possible and others say it's not.

They say traveling back in time is most likely impossible. That even if you could send an object back through spacetime it wouldn't really be going back. It would just be moving backwards.

To go to the future requires traveling into space near the speed of light and back. The other way is to position yourself near a blackhole since time moves even slower the closer you get to one. Of course neither is technically possible.

This is not really time travel imo though. It's just leaving to wait out earth time.

In terms of actual time travel (the way we all think of it), I would say you never know. I agree just because we are not visited by time travelers doesn't prove anything. They could be sworn to secrecy so they don't mess up anything.

If time travel is not possible by some super technology then maybe by another kind of force? Like something supernatural. There's probably a lot we don't know about the universe. Again because our technology is limited to mostly us.

I totally believe in aliens. Earth can not be the only planet out of billions with intelligent life and unique species. There's gotta be at least a handful out there. Regardless if they're 100 times more advanced. I bet some are in some way.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #29
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
In terms of actual time travel (the way we all think of it), I would say you never know. I agree just because we are not visited by time travelers doesn't prove anything. They could be sworn to secrecy so they don't mess up anything.
Or maybe time travel makes you forget. Déjà vu could be the travelers brain fighting to remember. It's entertaining to think about.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 AM   #30
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Or maybe time travel makes you forget. Déjà vu could be the travelers brain fighting to remember. It's entertaining to think about.
Ya that's another way to think of it.

Even if time travelers could reveal themselves nobody would believe them with without 100% proof. Which they couldn't prove unless the machine or whatever they used came with them and that might not be possible. If they're from the future they'd have to predict something not far off with extreme accuracy.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #31
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Ya that's another way to think of it.

Even if time travelers could reveal themselves nobody would believe them with without 100% proof. Which they couldn't prove unless the machine or whatever they used came with them and that might not be possible. If they're from the future they'd have to predict something not far off with extreme accuracy.

Three words.Grey's Sports Almanac......
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #32
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 6,938
I am disappointed in this thread. I thought someone was going to post the obvious answer which is found in msmarvelduckie's signature! "Where science ends, magic begins" Spiral, UnCanny X-Men#491.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #33
ProphetofGanja
Mad Scientist
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Three words.Grey's Sports Almanac......
Ah, but who's to say that going back in time wouldn't allow all those games to play out differently? Sure, some match-ups were so uneven that they'd happened the same but in some cases it all basically comes down to flipping a coin, and it's anyone's guess whether it'll be heads or tails anytime its thrown into the air.

So yeah, I would be worried about altering the timeline if I went into the past, especially in unintended ways. Like that one Halloween episode of The Simpsons.
__________________
"Wait... what?"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #34
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I am disappointed in this thread. I thought someone was going to post the obvious answer which is found in msmarvelduckie's signature! "Where science ends, magic begins" Spiral, UnCanny X-Men#491.

Ah thank you for that! I have always felt they are two sides of the same coin. The boundries between the two can often appear immense until one realizes that just a few centuries ago many of our modern conveniences would have been thought of as "magick". Who is to day that things we currently still consider as being in the realm of the supernatural won't eventually become scientific fact as well?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Ah, but who's to say that going back in time wouldn't allow all those games to play out differently? Sure, some match-ups were so uneven that they'd happened the same but in some cases it all basically comes down to flipping a coin, and it's anyone's guess whether it'll be heads or tails anytime its thrown into the air.

So yeah, I would be worried about altering the timeline if I went into the past, especially in unintended ways. Like that one Halloween episode of The Simpsons.

I think that simply going back in time and predicting a game's outcome as proof of being from the future would have little chance of somehow affecting said game's outcome unless one were to attempt to influence it directly. I was talking primarily about revealing a game's outcome before it is over rather than being at said game and causing some kind of interference.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.