The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #21
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Regardless of your personal opinion, objectively we live in the most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization.
Seriously. We all forget, because we've only ever known a peaceful Europe post-WWII and it's probably been years for most of us since history class, but that region really, really liked shooting each other. The hundreds of years prior to the EU are marked by consistent patterns of war.

On top of that, we've come a long, long way as a species, socially. Let's not forget there were times in human history when groupings of human beings thought raping and pillaging was totally rad. The last twenty or thirty years in particular have seen a lot of rapid advances in regards to a lot of things, too.

That said, I totally understand how easy it is to lose perspective, sometimes. It's happened to me too on occasion over the past year.

Quote:
Mostly it sounded like he just put out a bunch of keywords/phrases for the people to clap at. Relatively pointless speech.
That's been him at any gathering since he was sworn in, basically. He does these things, I think, because it's a comfort and seems to be the only part of the job, election to now, he actually likes. Trump's a showman, after all.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #22
Spike Spiegel
Long-Legged Mack Daddy
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post

That's been him at any gathering since he was sworn in, basically. He does these things, I think, because it's a comfort and seems to be the only part of the job, election to now, he actually likes. Trump's a showman, after all.
And Trump knows that when you talk to them the right way, those voters on the religious right give it up so sweet...

He doesn't even have to grab anything.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Regardless of your personal opinion, objectively we live in the most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization.
This seems like an interesting subject to learn more about. How are peaceful times measured? Links?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
This seems like an interesting subject to learn more about. How are peaceful times measured? Links?
Learn history + Use head = profit.

Most of the history of humanity was one war after another of big nations and empires against each other. We haven't those since WWII. And, arguably there were no big political changes, since crumble of USSR. Most of the modern changes in political landscape are consequences of it.

Local conflicts, of course, continue to exist, but their impact and size are not up to big wars of the past.
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #25
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Learn history + Use head = profit.

Most of the history of humanity was one war after another of big nations and empires against each other. We haven't those since WWII. And, arguably there were no big political changes, since crumble of USSR. Most of the modern changes in political landscape are consequences of it.

Local conflicts, of course, continue to exist, but their impact and size are not up to big wars of the past.
So basically...No world wars=most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization? I'm not challenging your definition just trying to understand it clearly.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Eh depending on the iteration they realize that mutants, demons, aliens, time lords or any other sentient organism aren't any much better
Fair enough, I suppose. If it's a sentient species, then it's probably in some way or another a bunch of jerks. lol

But how much would those Turtles facepalm at humanity... lol


Give if a few more years and half the country (or by then, more) will be purple as it is from doing it so much over Trump.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #27
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
So basically...No world wars=most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization? I'm not challenging your definition just trying to understand it clearly.
Well, basically yes.
Add to that advancements in civil rights.
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.