The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #21
newfan
Mad Scientist

I thought the show was a bit mutant heavy, (were there many in 2k3?) I just thought the writers wanted a mutant population in NY in the story.

I watch eps often but I think I need to re-watch season 1 and 2 in order as a few people feel it went down hill after season 1, I just didn't feel that myself.

When I very first heard Seth's Leo it felt off because it was noticeably different but I came to like it. I think it kinda suited Leo's 'grown' character later on (to me).
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Seth Green's Leo voice did seem a bit off in the Northampton arc but once they got back to New York he sounded fine. After that he also made his voice a bit higher pitched to fit Leonardo's character better and it worked.

As for other TMNT series, they generally filled the non-Shredder episodes with generic human enemies, robots, or aliens...so its not much different from a lot of mutants like what Nick did. The 2k3 series did add a ton of mutants as it progressed but they were mostly treated as mindless monsters without any character and they didn't speak. The only notable exception of course being Leatherhead who was a major character and the Turtles friend like this series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #23
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Seth Green's Leo voice did seem a bit off in the Northampton arc but once they got back to New York he sounded fine. After that he also made his voice a bit higher pitched to fit Leonardo's character better and it worked.

As for other TMNT series, they generally filled the non-Shredder episodes with generic human enemies, robots, or aliens...so its not much different from a lot of mutants like what Nick did. The 2k3 series did add a ton of mutants as it progressed but they were mostly treated as mindless monsters without any character and they didn't speak. The only notable exception of course being Leatherhead who was a major character and the Turtles friend like this series.
Yeah, the voice grew on me fairly quickly tbh.
So still a lot of mutants just used differently, just not so many humans (2012)

Last edited by newfan; 11-02-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #24
sdp
-

Vegita is not wrong in saying that the writers are more interested in writing horror homages than tmnt like episodes.

As for the too many mutants I complain about it but its fine as long as its only this incarnation and not all future TMNT incarnations. It reminds me of TMNT and other Strangeness RPG where it was full of mutants as well.

Seth Green isn't a bad Leo, I just think Jason Biggs fit this version of Leo so much better.

I'm watching the Renet episode now and well I remember we debated in this forum if there was only one "renet" in the TMNT multiverse but it doesn't make sense as I was watching this, it creates too many inconsistencies.

The new intro sucks, they should've kept the original one and only changed the Shredder villains part.

I don't think the show went hill after season 1, the show has plenty of flaws but most were present even in season 1, they just become more apparent the more you watch.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #25
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yeah, the voice grew on me fairly quickly tbh.
So still a lot of mutants just used differently, just not so many humans (2012)
once i started noticing less family guy and more leo, he had me.

it took a bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Vegita is not wrong in saying that the writers are more interested in writing horror homages than tmnt like episodes.
let me guess, I just got insulted from a previous post cause i dared to be critical? . I guess I should wait till the new show hits, then this series will be forgotten and i could be as critical as I like ;o).

I'm curious just HOW many horror episodes and horror movie elements where in this show. It's clearly far more than any other iteration.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

As for the too many mutants I complain about it but its fine as long as its only this incarnation and not all future TMNT incarnations. It reminds me of TMNT and other Strangeness RPG where it was full of mutants as well.
As I said before, it's not much different than how the original cartoon or 2k3 series just had filler villains be generic. This show uses mutants.

For the original cartoon everyone complained there were too many generic human villains, like all those mad scientists, the gangsters, or the dozens of robots they kept introducing in every episode.

The 2k3 series had crap characters like Garbageman, or various aliens or monsters that appeared in random episodes, etc.

All 3 TMNT cartoons generally had trouble filling the non-Shredder/Foot episodes with good recurring villains. The Nick cartoon chooses mutants, the other two characters had plenty of generic and throwaway characters too. You know this good and well, sdp, from watching them.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #27
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
once i started noticing less family guy and more leo, he had me.

it took a bit though.

let me guess, I just got insulted from a previous post cause i dared to be critical? . I guess I should wait till the new show hits, then this series will be forgotten and i could be as critical as I like ;o).

I'm curious just HOW many horror episodes and horror movie elements where in this show. It's clearly far more than any other iteration.
He sounded nothing like he did in family guy Thank goodness.

A season 4 ep often reminds me of a not very famous horror movie but we aren't there yet on this thread. I suppose all the shows have to be different in some way.....she says after moaning about the new show
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #28
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
He sounded nothing like he did in family guy Thank goodness.
I thought he did at the start. I heard more 'Chris' than 'Leo'. It wasn't until about 7 episodes or so in, that I started to hear more Leo coming through.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #29
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I thought he did at the start. I heard more 'Chris' than 'Leo'. It wasn't until about 7 episodes or so in, that I started to hear more Leo coming through.
Really? Chris has a real whiny voice, Leos was soft and ..well normal . I suppose being the same actor you may pick up something.. I just didn't.

Last edited by newfan; 11-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL, Seth Greens Leonardo voice sounds nothing like Chris from Family Guy. Vegita-san is still trolling.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #31
sdp
-

Finished watching season 3 besides the overdone horror stuff its alright.

April/Karai are still uninteresting to me and feel forced, the mutation angle had potential but not a fan of how they're dealing with it. The time travel episode made me both like the Shredder/Splinter rivalry less and more, kind of odd.

Only Donnie and Mikey got upgraded weapons right? Shame, the bladed weapons are ok, they're not overused. Hell I guess most of their weapons aren't used that much.

Have I mentioned I really liked Casey Jones this season, I hated him last season but he's gotten better.

Bruce Lee Hun I have mixed feelings on, it was awesome seeing a Bruce Lee character in TMNT but making him Hun who was this beefy gang leader was not the perfect choice. Wish we had seen more of him.

Russian Rocksteady is indeed awesome and I now like him and Beebop's dynamic, but I still feel the Russian guy was too interesting and had a way different role than just making him another goon of Shredder.

Speaking of Shredder's goon the Villain Decay we saw the first two seasons finally got balanced, well as balanced as an action show like TMNT can make it but yeah those first two seasons the villains felt like DBZ where the other character was just made useless as soon as the other arrived but they balanced that off.

Bishop being a Kraang is an interesting twist but also an Utrom? Awesome, finally my fanon theory of Kraang being Utroms is canon.

The Triceraton's invasion was pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As I said before, it's not much different than how the original cartoon or 2k3 series just had filler villains be generic. This show uses mutants.
But the other shows had a better mix, I do remember 2k3 and even early OT seasons needing a few more mutant episodes, and in the same way this show needs more crazy scientists/mobster episodes. But like I said the excess of mutants is not isn't a big problem for me.

The horror homages though, man pretty much every episode has them, it's a huge turn off by now, they over did it and I'm tired of it, wish they had kept it in a more subtle way but its always straight in your face
Old 11-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Utroms do exist in Nick, you'll see it further explained in Season 4. Bishop also appears a few more times in the following seasons leading the EPF so it's true to the character. I think him being an Utrom was a homage to 2k3 Shredder being an Utrom.

While I don't care for Karai's snake mutation, I love the fact that someone as cold as Shredder could raise his enemies daughter as his own. The fact that the writers showed us that Shredder does genuinely care for Karai makes it even better, because it shows how much he considers her to be his daughter since he raised her. Karai's arc gets a bit dragged out in Season 3 with the mutation and brain worm, but this is sorted out in Season 4 immediately when they get back from space so it's well done.

I also like how the Mutanimals helped out in the Triceraton invasion, and now we have other enemies outside of Shredder and his minions and the Kraang.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #33
sdp
-

When should I watch the Mega Blocks Half-Shell Heroes: Blast to the Past special? Is it in continuity with the show?

And what is the official order of season 5? Should I follow the one on Wikipedia or the one on streaming sites? I remember reading a debate here on what should be considered the series finale but I don't want to read that thread and find a bunch of spoilers.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Half Shell Heroes you can watch right after the space arc ends, it was written by Brandon Auman one of the main writers of the show and the Turtles and Bebop/Rocksteady all have their Nick personalities and voice actors.

I consider it canon, the only thing different about it is the designs to match the Half-shell heroes toys. It's also the only time the Nick Turtles go back in time to see dinosaurs in the prehistoric age, and that's a pivotal storyline every TMNT series does.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #35
sdp
-

Finished the first half of S3 and it was a blast.

I loved that the turtles went to space and we spent some time there, it feels like TMNT, I love "NY foot stories" the best but TMNT is not TMNT if it doesn't have crazy sci-fi and other things.

I liked it when they fought all three versions of Bradford, I'm a sucker for stuff like that. Also the fact that we got a Bradford show this season is great, I haven't mentioned it but the cartoons they watch each season are so awesome.

April is still annoying, I did like they gave her the yellow space suit that resembles the jump suit, even if it looks horrible on her. I prefer her original outfit tho. The horror sh-t continued even in space and that's a damn shame, even if its not super annoying it's distracting since every other episode is done as a love letter to horror films, it's too much.

I had already watched it but I can confirm that the crossover is amazing and better than turtles forever. It makes continuity problems with Krang being a Kraang and other stuff like Donatello not knowing earth prime but that's another discussion.

Talking about continuity problems that one episode where they mentioned a few seconds were months in Dimension X is sure causing continuity problems through out the show, since it would mean anytime they go there that would happen and in this case they only went back in time 6 months.

Some changes that the show has made have been horrible but others like monalisa are pretty great. I was so happy to finally see Armaggon and he was a threat so props. Seeing Lord Dregg was great and he was used very well through out the space arc, too bad he went out like a chump in the end

The intro sucks since they added the annoying dialog of them being stuck in space right after the theme begins. It was fine the first episode but no need to hear that every single episode.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #36
newfan
Mad Scientist

The interrupted intro was annoying but I guess they kept it up for people who missed some of the space stuff, glad when it was gone again.

So, was one of the horror eps you were referring to Wyrm ep? cause it reminds me of a not very popular horror movie whenever I watch it.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #37
sdp
-

I liked the wyrm episode, just find it annoying that every other episode begins or is themed on a horror movie, it's too much.

I forgot to mention, how is sending the "past" TMNT to space a fix? How did the OT deal with it when they met their past selves? So do we assume the other turtles didn't mind they took their Splinter?

I now watched the Heroes in a half Shell special, and boy did it suck.

I wanted to love it since I like the art style, I love dinosaurs and yes all TMNT incarnations should meet dinosaurs and they reference the caveman turtle toys from when I was a kid. But man is it boring.

I guess I'll consider it in continuity but it even ends on a cliffhanger, and a cool one too, I would've loved to see the Nick turtles go to an apocalyptic future, all other TMNT versions have done it as well.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Fred Wolf Krang being an Utrom kind of make sense, it's not like Utroms were ever name-dropped in the original cartoon. Perhaps the reason he had a body was he experimented with mutagen on him hence those Krangezoid clones in Season 7 of the original cartoon.

Kraang sub-prime is basically Nick's version of Fred Wolf Krang, they even said they were cousins. I like that we had a "leader" of the Kraang rather than them all being a hive mind. I remember when Season 1 was airing I was hoping there would be a leader of the Kraang and I got that. Kraang Prime and Subprime are like a mix of the original Krang split between two characters.

Last edited by CyberCubed; 11-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:21 AM   #39
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah I've tried getting my head around the other set of turtles existing still after the time change but then Figutoid did still turn up to take them to space. Generally, Splinter is both sets of turtles Splinter as they are the same turtles but yes, he is the other turtles time point. I always wondered what happens when they come back? I guess we were meant to forget about them

Edit: From an earlier point, I too liked that we got a character who looked like Bruce Lee, but also agreed that the character isn't much of a character.

Last edited by newfan; 11-04-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #40
sdp
-

Finished watching Season 4 and wow, amazing, easily the best season so far, I"ll try to finish S5 as quickly as possible since my free time is about to vanish, and I wasted it all on TMNT it's been worth it though.

I love Tokka, having a giant turtle Gamera homage was so cool and makes me wish we had a kaiju cg show like that.

Did they leave Fishface to die in the finale?

When did they de-age Leatherhead? He went from old gray to ambiguously gray in a few episodes but he was definitely green in his last appearance.

The show got pretty gruesome the last few episodes, I was surprised with how much they were getting away with, besides all the obvious ones it also seemed Shredder broke his arm on-screen though he was shown using it fine a few seconds later a la Mortal Kombat X.

Splinter dying didn't have a lot of emotion since the had just done that for feels last season, it's cool they had the balls to do it, I always thought 2k3 would do it but they never did but yeah the impact was lessened because of the last finale.

Super Shredder being featured for so long was really neat, I was always a fan of him. However pre mutated Shredder was beaten in a bit anti-climatic way after saving the world from the triceraton invation, 2k3 had the same problem with ch'rell IMO.

When did Shredder's mutants become so loyal? Especially Baxter, I mean he obviously hated them and just off-screen he now becomes the most loyal member?

Poor Tiger Claw was de-clawed, it's hard to take him seriously after the Alopex, not only do we see his origins which was rather weak, I would've preferred it remain a mistery, but in his origin we see that it's Alopex who kicked his ass, and then in the episode he kicks his ass again and maims him, I don't know if I"ll be able to take him seriously again, in the finale with the cool cybernetic hand he was used as fodder.

The black ninja outfits were cool but I don't know if they should've used them, they looked like Slash. Really cool to see Casey use his real mask tho.

Dark Phoenix Saga April reached the epitome of annoying, those psychic powers were the worst thing to happen to her, why couldn't they just let her be a kunoichi and leave it at that?

Now onto Season 5 or I guess it's called Tales of the TMNT? Or was the whole show retconned as Tales of the TMNT?