The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #181
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I certainly understand what you mean and you are right to an extent although it kind of gets to the point where they are limiting the amount of people who actually want to be there.
Yup.
That is indeed a risk
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #182
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yup.
That is indeed a risk
I'm interested to see how far that goes. If they're going for one type of fan all it does is keep the prominent users there to bully newer members. I always see the same three or four people spamming the comments on Disqus.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #183
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:

Over at Ghostbusters Fans the mod there is very left wing and calls the Ghostbusters reboot very progressive. To speak ill of it or how films are made today seems to incur his wrath. I did enough of this that it took a totally separate conversation with someone else about something completely unrelated to get me banned. Although it's worth noting one of the main people there who loved the movie (who also dislikes me) referred to Paul Feig's filmmaking as 'avant garde'. This is the kind of people who are getting me banned.
well, in that case, these are just bad mods, and a bad, toxic site in general. And it always kind of has been.

I left almost ten years ago now and havn't looked back due to the amount of jerks there. it just wasn't fun.

But, the RPF was still ENOUGH fun that I wanted to stick around. it was just a few bad users who where 'my way or the high way' and who could get away with being jerks that the mods either agreed with, or let run wild for whatever reason that made the place unbearable enough for me to trash a mod via pm for not doing his job. of course, that was the end of me. but, after a few months I realize it's for the better. those few bad members had too much power for whatever reason, and it was becoming almost cult like because no one was brave enough to stand up against them. unless EVERYONE did it at the same time, and even that never lasted long.

But places like GB fans where so bad, it was a no thought moment to leave forever and never look back. I browsed a bit during the feigbusters debacle and saw it hadn't gotten any better either.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #184
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
well, in that case, these are just bad mods, and a bad, toxic site in general. And it always kind of has been.
The mod there Kingpin who has strong left wing ideals. He rather worryingly at one point compared Donald Trump to Hitler which blew me mind in terms of craziness. He didn't like the fact I had nothing good to say about the reboot movie as he saw it as a win for social justice. He was quick to judge me and because I expressed ideals that weren't left wing enough he immediately jumped on me for being right wing when I'm not. This is the mod by the way. I guess me moaning about the reboot movie constantly and it's propaganda coupled with me saying practical effects work better than CGI got to him. He liked only positive comments about the film, one lunatic Kingpin took sides with who kept gushing about the film called Paul Feig's films "avant garde".

Ultimately it was an arrogant Canadian called Richardless who got me banned when he jumped on me for getting the street date of Spider-Man 3.1 blu-ray wrong due to the fact I read a review by a store worker who got a preview copy. Didn't matter. Kingpin banned agreed with Richardless I must be wrong and banned me. After I got banned a number of people who disliked me said how happy I was that I was banned.

I haven't been back since to even look at the forum but I can't imagine it being any less tribal than it was before. A shame really because I liked offering my opinions there.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #185
plastroncafe

I would suggest you entertain the narrative that your behavior got you banned, and not the actions of other people.

If you did something that upset people, they didn't get you banned....what you did to upset them got them banned.

Even if you didn't intentionally mean to upset them, it's still on you.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #186
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
He rather worryingly at one point compared Donald Trump to Hitler which blew me mind in terms of craziness.
Doesn't seem that far off-base to me

Spoiler:

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #187
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Godwin's Law, as usual. They don't know what to do.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #188
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Except...in the case of MAGA folks, Godwin agrees.

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/statu...84949634232320
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #189
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

That's fvcking awesome.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #190
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Quote:

Normally I agree that comparing someone to Hitler or a Nazi is gross exaggeration, but in the case of these current events where people are literally adopting Nazi symbols and ideals then I think it's pretty fitting
Old 11-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #191
Vegita-San
Emperor

anyway, my initial point was..

as bad as this place can be at times due to some confrontational types,

there ARE worse places online that make this place seem like a day at a picnic in comparison.

probably why i've stuck around on and off for 20 years almost now.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #192
Powder
So tired of this place

The unnecessary politicizing of threads is a big toxicity point...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #193
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Doesn't seem that far off-base to me
There's a tendency to say that but to me it's just absurd. He's on the same level as Bush in just being incompetent and greedy. Then of course I bring up George Bush Jr being exactly the same but no in the mods eyes Trump is worse. Let's forget actual dictators like Robert Mugabe and Kim Jong, no Trump must be worse right? It just seems generally people who complain are very left wing people who have a bone to pick with white males in power so Trump and his incompetence is an easy target. What he sometimes says on Twitter doesn't help his case.

Quote:
as bad as this place can be at times due to some confrontational types,

there ARE worse places online that make this place seem like a day at a picnic in comparison.
From my experience it's about the same. I'm glad you had it better.

Quote:
I would suggest you entertain the narrative that your behavior got you banned, and not the actions of other people.

If you did something that upset people, they didn't get you banned....what you did to upset them got them banned.

Even if you didn't intentionally mean to upset them, it's still on you.
I remember your previous points and I do still agree with them. I am just a guest after all so it is my fault but honestly it's not really fault. Unless you count offering a differing opinion something harmful which for me I never did.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #194
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
From my experience it's about the same. I'm glad you had it better.

I ignore 85% of the nastiness. if more people used the ignore button, the jerks just talk to thin air.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #195
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Kind of seems to me... let's say for example, Vancouver, Canada. Beautiful town. Super clean, like a shinier but more down-to-earth version of Seattle (it's always been my experience, anyway). Friendly people, strong economy, great city. About 95 out of 100 people love it there. Still, there will be those 5 people that can't help but wander off the main streets, poking around into the back alleys and point at some graffiti they find in some remote spot and go, "See? SEE? This city is a mess!" What? No, it's not.

It's like, stop going into back alleys and pointing at graffiti. Stay in the nice parts of town, you know you like those parts. If you're looking for graffiti or whatever in a city, you're probably going to find it if you look hard enough. Save yourself the calories. Be happy.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #196
Vegita-San
Emperor

would be possible if the spray painted area's didn't constantly re appear after you paint over or cover them .

sometimes you have to nip the spray painters in the bud to keep the town nice .
Old 11-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #197
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
would be possible if the spray painted area's didn't constantly re appear after you paint over or cover them .

sometimes you have to nip the spray painters in the bud to keep the town nice .
There's "graffiti" and then there's "public art", like murals.

If you don't like the murals in a certain part of town, maybe don't go there. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #198
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The unnecessary politicizing of threads is a big toxicity point...
I completely agree, I realized that by "fighting" it I was doing the very thing I hated. I decided to completely avoid it as it's usually been my policy with an exception or two but generally keep it politic free.

Obviously there'll be some topics that are going to be political such as "Black April the thread" but no reason it should be everywhere else. It's also quite difficult since if the very geek news sites which are often linked here are already politically charged. Def. avoiding the Current Events forum tho.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #199
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:

So it's ok to call 63 million people Nazis just because you disagree with them politically?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #200
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
So it's ok to call 63 million people Nazis just because you disagree with them politically?
Godwin was specifically referring to those who attended/marched at the white supremacy rally in Charlottesville as Nazis. So that raises a good point. What do we call those who didn't march at the rally or actively engage in similar actions, but still support an openly white-supremacist political movement? Nazi sympathizers?

Last edited by Bry; 12-02-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i_need_a_adult, sumac vs plastroncafe, toxicity