The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #21
pferreira
Foot Elite

I'm pretty certain if the 80s cartoon failed that Eastman and Laird would have gone back to the comics. We would have got some dark, gritty revival in the mid-90s and maybe a gritty live action movie in the late 90s starring Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo that would have flopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
During the upcoming years, I guess.

*No Biker Mice from Mars
*No (western) Power Rangers
*No Extreme Dinosaurs
*No Street Sharks
*Maybe no 1990's Batman?
No Squat Kats
No Samurai Pizza Kats
No Bucky O'Hare

Quote:
Do you really belive we would get western Power Rangers? It felt they tried to ride the TMNT wave of successes.
Nah I do feel Power Rangers was a separate thing. It had more in common with Captain Planet which was a massive success at the time.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Bucky O'Hare

Bucky O'Hare debuted as a comic in May 1984 (the same time as TMNT), so maybe we would get animated Bucky O'Hare. Maybe som years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #23
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The comics were never popular to the point of getting a movie. If they were popular then more than 1% of the world's population would know of them, certainly... Hell, I don't think even 1% of the world's population has heard of the Mirage comics, let alone read them.
They were popular to the point of getting a cartoon/toy deal in the first place. The idea that the Mirage comics were some kind of failure is a myth that hardcore FW fans like to perpetuate, but it really doesn't make sense. Yes, it was mainly the cartoon (and the movie, video games, etc.) that made TMNT a huge mainstream worldwide phenomenon, but that only happened because Mirage TMNT was already a hit with comic fans (which is a smaller audience but much more than 1% of the worlds population), and that attracted Playmates attention.

Whether or not the movie deal was related to the toy/toon deal, it started development at around the same time the cartoon did, so unless the cartoon flopping would have cancelled the movie in mid production the movie would still probably have come out.

Though, it probably would not have been as successful without every kid in the world wanting to see it.

Also, it's a fact that they got movie offers before the cartoon's success, but they were mostly stupid ones like the idea where they were played by famous comedians and fighting naked nuns. So, it might have been the cartoon that attracted a good movie deal. But, I remember reading that the movie deal that led to the movie we got coming at around the same time as the cartoon/toy deal, not sure if they were directly related.

As for other shows...

Bucky O'Hare comics would have happened, but I'm not sure about the show.

Swat Kats, I'm not sure. They don't seem too TMNT inspired to me.

TMNT was a big part of a big wave of anthropomorphic animal heroes at the time, but I'm not sure they were the source of that wave.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #24
Overlord

I can imagine if TMNT failed by 1989, series like this would become a bigger success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ures_of_He-Man
Old 12-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #25
sdp
-

Saban had been pitching Power Rangers for years and would've continued until he succeeded, partly what helped Power Rangers be picked up is that that year's Sentai Team had dinosaurs and it was thought it'd be good for American audiences and boom history was made.

TMNT had little influence on TMNT outside the name, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" sounds influenced by the overly long name Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had, but I don't think the "martial arts" craze the TMNT started had much of an influence on Power Rangers, a little bit sure but yeah Power Rangers made it on their own and the reason they took TMNT's popularity is because they were doing their own original thing while other shows mentioned here were only copying TMNT.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #26
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Saban had been pitching Power Rangers for years and would've continued until he succeeded, partly what helped Power Rangers be picked up is that that year's Sentai Team had dinosaurs and it was thought it'd be good for American audiences and boom history was made.

TMNT had little influence on TMNT outside the name, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" sounds influenced by the overly long name Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had, but I don't think the "martial arts" craze the TMNT started had much of an influence on Power Rangers, a little bit sure but yeah Power Rangers made it on their own and the reason they took TMNT's popularity is because they were doing their own original thing while other shows mentioned here were only copying TMNT.
So, did Karate Kid inspired for fiction based on Japanese martial arts?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #27
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Bucky O'Hare debuted as a comic in May 1984 (the same time as TMNT), so maybe we would get animated Bucky O'Hare. Maybe som years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
Yeah I know but it was the success of TMNT that got Sunbow or whatever studio to cash in by making the cartoon series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
They were popular to the point of getting a cartoon/toy deal in the first place. The idea that the Mirage comics were some kind of failure is a myth that hardcore FW fans like to perpetuate, but it really doesn't make sense. Yes, it was mainly the cartoon (and the movie, video games, etc.) that made TMNT a huge mainstream worldwide phenomenon, but that only happened because Mirage TMNT was already a hit with comic fans (which is a smaller audience but much more than 1% of the worlds population), and that attracted Playmates attention.

Whether or not the movie deal was related to the toy/toon deal, it started development at around the same time the cartoon did, so unless the cartoon flopping would have cancelled the movie in mid production the movie would still probably have come out.

Though, it probably would not have been as successful without every kid in the world wanting to see it.

Also, it's a fact that they got movie offers before the cartoon's success, but they were mostly stupid ones like the idea where they were played by famous comedians and fighting naked nuns. So, it might have been the cartoon that attracted a good movie deal. But, I remember reading that the movie deal that led to the movie we got coming at around the same time as the cartoon/toy deal, not sure if they were directly related.

As for other shows...

Bucky O'Hare comics would have happened, but I'm not sure about the show.

Swat Kats, I'm not sure. They don't seem too TMNT inspired to me.

TMNT was a big part of a big wave of anthropomorphic animal heroes at the time, but I'm not sure they were the source of that wave.
In no means was I trying to take a knock on Mirage comics, for the record.

I mean, "failure" isn't the right word since I doubt Laird and Eastman expected the Turtles to become as big as they were. The comics were independent, after all. If anything, they probably had a cult following or something.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #29
dragonside
Hench Mutant

just for fun.

Let's say it didn't make it in America, but the kids in Japan ate it up.

I would say the super mutant legend style may have exploded and they would be quite different with humor equivalent to Beast Wars II & Beast Wars Neo, Saint Seiya style.

We'd have toys based on the Turtle Armors and .. it would slowly come back to North America in that form kind of like Power Rangers.

Peter Laird would not have done 2003 in that way. Maybe just do a full story about the Super Turtles (akin to DC Marvel shows), thinking Ninjas wouldn't make it in the market.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #30
Overlord

I would like to see some alternate timelines
Old 12-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #31
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Question

Quote:
I would like to see some alternate timelines
I always saw FW tmnt as having an alternate timeline in Japan after Mark Pellengri on tmnt entity proposed the idea.

Basically, The Old Cartoon only got dubbed for a total of 104 episodes in Japan until Donatello's Badd Time, after which the 2 part OVA was aired and the series ended.

I see the OVA as canon to the Japanese dub only, while everything else post season 5 is not canon to it.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #32
Overlord

Animated Disney series was a major hit during the late-1980's and early-1990's (Ducktales starting in September 1987). Maybe they would grow larger without the turtles.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #33
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That and Jurassic Park was a hit of that year, so it was just lucky timing for them.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #34
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT-Leonardo View Post
That and Jurassic Park was a hit of that year, so it was just lucky timing for them.
The dinosaur hit years began in 1987 with Dinosaucers, continued in 1988 with Denver, the Last Dinosaur, Dinoriders and the Land Before Time before culimating with the 1993 film version of Jurassic Park. Still in 1997, the Dinovengers and Extreme Dinosaurs tried to play on it.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #35
sdp
-

Quote:
The dinosaur hit years began in 1987 with Dinosaucers, continued in 1988 with Denver, the Last Dinosaur, Dinoriders and the Land Before Time before culimating with the 1993 film version of Jurassic Park. Still in 1997, the Dinovengers and Extreme Dinosaurs tried to play on it.
I don't know about that, yeah Dinosaurs have always been popular and we had a few shows in the 80s. As a kid my OTL before TMNT was dinosaurs and while I had plenty of toys and whatnot of dinosaurs, not many seemed to share my humongous love for dinosaurs until Jurassic Park, after that everyone wanted to be an paleontologist.

So the Dinocraze really was because of Jurassic Park, obviously dinosaurs were popular before then but not to that extent. If you think about it Denver was only seldom popular, Dinoriders didn't last too long as awesome as it was and Dinosaucers wasn't able to top transformers and faded away after one season. Only Land Before Time was a huge hit, and even then it didn't start getting annual sequels until Jurassic Park came out.

Similar in the 00's we've seen a few years were we've had some dinosaur content but it's never been a huge craze. When Jurassic World came out and became a huge hit that toppled Avengers and gave Star Wars a run for its money I thought a second wave of dinocraze would begin but it seemed not even Universal was prepared for it. For Jurassic World 2 Universal does seem better prepeared, let's hope we can get a new dinocraze again
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #36
dragonside
Hench Mutant

what if TMNT failed

but somebody decided to write about kung fu frogs?
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #37
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
what if TMNT failed

but somebody decided to write about kung fu frogs?
Then there would be a cartoon one day where some street thugs mistake the frogs for ninja turtles.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #38
Overlord

Invasion of the Punk Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Then there would be a cartoon one day where some street thugs mistake the frogs for ninja turtles.
Invasion of the Punk Turtles
Old 12-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Here's an interesting thought, if TMNT never existed or failed, what big franchise do you think you'd be into now instead?

As I said since I grew up in the 80's and early 90's, I'd probably be a much bigger Batman fan than I am now. The Tim Burton Batman film came out in 1989, then B:TAS in 1992...so it was the perfect time for kids at that point to become big Batman fans. I love Batman, but I never got into the comics. I wonder if I'd be a huge DC fan right now if TMNT never existed.

Another one is Star Wars. Always loved it, but never got into the comics/novels. It was mostly just the movies, toys, and videogames for me. I wonder if I'd be a huge Star Wars nerd right now.

The other stuff like Pokemon and Dragonball Z didn't come till the late 90's, so that's far removed from the TMNT era and I got into this after TMNT "ended" anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Batman TAS, Xmen TAS, Spiderman TAS, then Saint Seiya, Dragoball and Sailor Moon.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote