The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #21
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,261
I'm pretty certain if the 80s cartoon failed that Eastman and Laird would have gone back to the comics. We would have got some dark, gritty revival in the mid-90s and maybe a gritty live action movie in the late 90s starring Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo that would have flopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
During the upcoming years, I guess.

*No Biker Mice from Mars
*No (western) Power Rangers
*No Extreme Dinosaurs
*No Street Sharks
*Maybe no 1990's Batman?
No Squat Kats
No Samurai Pizza Kats
No Bucky O'Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Do you really belive we would get western Power Rangers? It felt they tried to ride the TMNT wave of successes.
Nah I do feel Power Rangers was a separate thing. It had more in common with Captain Planet which was a massive success at the time.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,830
Bucky O'Hare

Bucky O'Hare debuted as a comic in May 1984 (the same time as TMNT), so maybe we would get animated Bucky O'Hare. Maybe som years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The comics were never popular to the point of getting a movie. If they were popular then more than 1% of the world's population would know of them, certainly... Hell, I don't think even 1% of the world's population has heard of the Mirage comics, let alone read them.
They were popular to the point of getting a cartoon/toy deal in the first place. The idea that the Mirage comics were some kind of failure is a myth that hardcore FW fans like to perpetuate, but it really doesn't make sense. Yes, it was mainly the cartoon (and the movie, video games, etc.) that made TMNT a huge mainstream worldwide phenomenon, but that only happened because Mirage TMNT was already a hit with comic fans (which is a smaller audience but much more than 1% of the worlds population), and that attracted Playmates attention.

Whether or not the movie deal was related to the toy/toon deal, it started development at around the same time the cartoon did, so unless the cartoon flopping would have cancelled the movie in mid production the movie would still probably have come out.

Though, it probably would not have been as successful without every kid in the world wanting to see it.

Also, it's a fact that they got movie offers before the cartoon's success, but they were mostly stupid ones like the idea where they were played by famous comedians and fighting naked nuns. So, it might have been the cartoon that attracted a good movie deal. But, I remember reading that the movie deal that led to the movie we got coming at around the same time as the cartoon/toy deal, not sure if they were directly related.

As for other shows...

Bucky O'Hare comics would have happened, but I'm not sure about the show.

Swat Kats, I'm not sure. They don't seem too TMNT inspired to me.

TMNT was a big part of a big wave of anthropomorphic animal heroes at the time, but I'm not sure they were the source of that wave.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,830
I can imagine if TMNT failed by 1989, series like this would become a bigger success.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ures_of_He-Man
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,804
Saban had been pitching Power Rangers for years and would've continued until he succeeded, partly what helped Power Rangers be picked up is that that year's Sentai Team had dinosaurs and it was thought it'd be good for American audiences and boom history was made.

TMNT had little influence on TMNT outside the name, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" sounds influenced by the overly long name Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had, but I don't think the "martial arts" craze the TMNT started had much of an influence on Power Rangers, a little bit sure but yeah Power Rangers made it on their own and the reason they took TMNT's popularity is because they were doing their own original thing while other shows mentioned here were only copying TMNT.
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Saban had been pitching Power Rangers for years and would've continued until he succeeded, partly what helped Power Rangers be picked up is that that year's Sentai Team had dinosaurs and it was thought it'd be good for American audiences and boom history was made.

TMNT had little influence on TMNT outside the name, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" sounds influenced by the overly long name Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had, but I don't think the "martial arts" craze the TMNT started had much of an influence on Power Rangers, a little bit sure but yeah Power Rangers made it on their own and the reason they took TMNT's popularity is because they were doing their own original thing while other shows mentioned here were only copying TMNT.
So, did Karate Kid inspired for fiction based on Japanese martial arts?
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #27
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Bucky O'Hare debuted as a comic in May 1984 (the same time as TMNT), so maybe we would get animated Bucky O'Hare. Maybe som years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
Yeah I know but it was the success of TMNT that got Sunbow or whatever studio to cash in by making the cartoon series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #28
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
They were popular to the point of getting a cartoon/toy deal in the first place. The idea that the Mirage comics were some kind of failure is a myth that hardcore FW fans like to perpetuate, but it really doesn't make sense. Yes, it was mainly the cartoon (and the movie, video games, etc.) that made TMNT a huge mainstream worldwide phenomenon, but that only happened because Mirage TMNT was already a hit with comic fans (which is a smaller audience but much more than 1% of the worlds population), and that attracted Playmates attention.

Whether or not the movie deal was related to the toy/toon deal, it started development at around the same time the cartoon did, so unless the cartoon flopping would have cancelled the movie in mid production the movie would still probably have come out.

Though, it probably would not have been as successful without every kid in the world wanting to see it.

Also, it's a fact that they got movie offers before the cartoon's success, but they were mostly stupid ones like the idea where they were played by famous comedians and fighting naked nuns. So, it might have been the cartoon that attracted a good movie deal. But, I remember reading that the movie deal that led to the movie we got coming at around the same time as the cartoon/toy deal, not sure if they were directly related.

As for other shows...

Bucky O'Hare comics would have happened, but I'm not sure about the show.

Swat Kats, I'm not sure. They don't seem too TMNT inspired to me.

TMNT was a big part of a big wave of anthropomorphic animal heroes at the time, but I'm not sure they were the source of that wave.
In no means was I trying to take a knock on Mirage comics, for the record.

I mean, "failure" isn't the right word since I doubt Laird and Eastman expected the Turtles to become as big as they were. The comics were independent, after all. If anything, they probably had a cult following or something.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
dragonside
Hench Mutant
 
dragonside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 335
just for fun.

Let's say it didn't make it in America, but the kids in Japan ate it up.


I would say the super mutant legend style may have exploded and they would be quite different with humor equivalent to Beast Wars II & Beast Wars Neo, Saint Seiya style.

We'd have toys based on the Turtle Armors and .. it would slowly come back to North America in that form kind of like Power Rangers.

Peter Laird would not have done 2003 in that way. Maybe just do a full story about the Super Turtles (akin to DC Marvel shows), thinking Ninjas wouldn't make it in the market.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,830
I would like to see some alternate timelines
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #31
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 2,075
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I would like to see some alternate timelines
I always saw FW tmnt as having an alternate timeline in Japan after Mark Pellengri on tmnt entity proposed the idea.

Basically, The Old Cartoon only got dubbed for a total of 104 episodes in Japan until Donatello's Badd Time, after which the 2 part OVA was aired and the series ended.

I see the OVA as canon to the Japanese dub only, while everything else post season 5 is not canon to it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #32
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,830
Animated Disney series was a major hit during the late-1980's and early-1990's (Ducktales starting in September 1987). Maybe they would grow larger without the turtles.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.