The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #7941
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Woohoo!

I knew there was good reason I wanted to put an Eagles flag by dad's headstone. If there's something after this life and it can come with free seats to any game/event you want, then somewhere my dad is losing his mind.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #7942
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I feel inspired to draw or write at times, often browsing at the art supplies in stores but don't have talent there, still, always the option for classes or just practice.
I think talent with reference to drawing is just an innate understanding of how to translate thoughts into images. That’s how some people draw – they see what they want to draw in their mind and put it on paper. When people I know have told me they have no artistic talent, they usually mean that they don’t understand how to go about it; it doesn’t make sense to them.

Not everyone does it that way, and you don’t need to intuitively know how to do it – you can learn. There are a lot of artists who take a more structural approach by using techniques to plan and execute drawings, so you can learn to draw technically even if visualisation doesn’t come naturally to you. You can find a lot of information on the net these days, and there are loads of YouTube tutorials that you can study to give you some grounding in technique and theory – the rest is motivation and repetition.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 AM   #7943
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quite often, drawing what I have in my head rarely works out. Especially when what I want to draw is a little trickier than I anticipated. Or I don't know how to make it work because Utroms are surprisingly pains in the butt to draw, contrary to one might think
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #7944
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That's the part that drives me crazy... I can visualize it really well. And then when I wish I could translate that into a drawing my hand however sits there like, "I have no idea WTF you're talking about, woman!"

I want so much to be one of those people who just has that instinctive knack for it, and I don't. And while I have a lot of patience for many things, I just don't have a whole lot of it for that. Having to practice and learn for a long time before I can finally translate onto paper/computer what I actually see in my head (and even then it may very well never match it enough) just isn't all that appealing.

Worse, I'd want to be able to do more realistic stuff, too, not just cartoony stuff, and no way in hell is that ever happening. lol

Once in a while I can do slightly okay-ish with Photoshop, but even then it's never what I wish it was.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #7945
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
That's the part that drives me crazy... I can visualize it really well. And then when I wish I could translate that into a drawing my hand however sits there like, "I have no idea WTF you're talking about, woman!"
same here. well, minus the woman part ;o)

I'm a TAD better at it in CGI, oddly, but not by much. the computer does half the body work, the rest is just making the shapes into a mold that is needed.

but pen to paper, forget about it.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #7946
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I'm better with the 3D programs as well, though I'm better with objects rather than characters, which kind of kills me too.

Even there I want to be one of those people who can blur the lines between CGI and reality, being able to make something believably real, but so far I can't.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 AM   #7947
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I think talent with reference to drawing is just an innate understanding of how to translate thoughts into images. That’s how some people draw – they see what they want to draw in their mind and put it on paper. When people I know have told me they have no artistic talent, they usually mean that they don’t understand how to go about it; it doesn’t make sense to them.

Not everyone does it that way, and you don’t need to intuitively know how to do it – you can learn. There are a lot of artists who take a more structural approach by using techniques to plan and execute drawings, so you can learn to draw technically even if visualisation doesn’t come naturally to you. You can find a lot of information on the net these days, and there are loads of YouTube tutorials that you can study to give you some grounding in technique and theory – the rest is motivation and repetition.
Yes some people have natural ability to express their thoughts, through both/either art and writing than others... but as you say, techniques can be learned. It's just putting the time in if you have it. I thought that being a dreamy type person this would be easy for me but actually it doesn't flow out by itself. (for me)

Last edited by newfan; 01-23-2018 at 12:23 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #7948
Vegita-San
Emperor

boss baby gets an oscar nom?

can hollywood be any more transparent?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #7949
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, I'm better with the 3D programs as well, though I'm better with objects rather than characters, which kind of kills me too.
yep, same here. objects turn out better than people...frustrating as heck.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #7950
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Some companies give out $1000 bonuses others give out blankies.

Guess it's time to dust off the ole résumé.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #7951
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've been having a really weird period of feeling down.

Mostly my portfolio revisions not being completed because not everything is together. And having to depend on other people for rides to places - first because I don't have my own car and that it's been a year since I've driven myself anywhere.

All of those together making job hunting difficult.

And then there's the issue of missing my international friends and wanting to spend time with them. But because they're international friends, my time with them is generally going to be limited.

Drawing and writing have been difficult; I've felt some self-consciousness about my ability to make complex backgrounds and I have a lot of ideas for writing that haven't been able to come out.

I think I'm just having a bad, static month.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #7952
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I've been having a really weird period of feeling down.
Welcome to my world.

It hit an apex this time last year and I'm REALLY hoping not to have a relapse. so far thanks to medication it seems to be going a little better. never live ten years + with OCD and Anxiety unchecked.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #7953
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Grinds...

When your crackers are too weak for your spread cheese and keep breaking too easily while trying so spread it...

Bonus grind... when you want to try to make a gif out of those TMNT sticker frames to go along with above grind, but in the process of trying to get rid of background color it just ends up with messy edges.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-24-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:19 AM   #7954
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
There is an H R, but I’ve gone down that road on a different matter and it was basically career suicide. I was a fast up and coming “star” in the company before that. Now, stuck in career quagmire.

I’ve been looking for another job since late 2016, but there isn’t anything comparable around here and I have an aging parent that I need to stick close to. At the end of the day I am the sole income for my family. I’m kinda stuck for now.
Welcome Katie to the actual reality of reporting and fighting against toxic work environments, in which a strong pursuit toward reporting and fighting against it, leads to career risk. As much as the media loves to blame and portray "the workplace culture created by widespread numerous bigoted individuals" and virtue signal about it, as you have most likely seen, all it takes is a few individuals in power (in the right power structure) to create a toxic work environment for many, in which harassment can abound. Even if a superior isn't bigoted or narcissistic, no superior wants to be known as the one who "created waves" in the company, and sink their own shots of career advancement in/outside the company when it comes to pulling up their personnel file/references.

On that thought, you'd be surprised just how many people have tried to "fight the good fight" and speak out, and the subsequent career backlash they have received.

As you have probably already experienced, don't fully trust the HR department in a company/workplace. They are not there to mediate and resolve workplace relationships on any type of virtuous pedestal that they portray their company values stand for, but rather they are a legal and public relations division of the company that pursues the company's best interests. Let's not forget who's paying the HR department's salaries now...

Quote:
What was relayed to me as an “example” of my hard opinions was when I got frustrated at my cube-mate for some very racist things he was saying. “People infringing on my European privledge”. I sh!t you not. At work.

I told him I didn’t care to hear such things because even though I look white, I’m not. I’m biracial. I was not mean or agressive and I said it in as even s tone as I could. Now I am a “snowflake” and “Pocahontas”.

And when I take it to my boss....I need to soften my opinions. And Cube-mate continues his nasty remarks everyday.

Good times.
Quote:
Yeah, Fuzzy ethics in this company. EEOC my a$$.

I’d love to take that guy out. Like, if I had nothing else to lose, just punch the crap out of him. But. Gotta. Be. Soft.
Quote:
Heh, those comments were the topic of conversation today.

Sad thing for me is that I 100% know that when I tell people I’m from Alabama, they judge me just as if I say the things this guy does. All because that’s all anyone ever sees from here.
Are you sure, he's that racist... outside of work? Or is he deliberately saying these things in front of you, knowing you'll be upset and hot-tempered, trying to affect your work performance and appearance, so it makes him look better? It wouldn't be surprising since you were a rising star in the company, where his motivations are based more on envy rather than his inherent bigotry. Office politics can run deep... very deep...

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 01-24-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #7955
Katie
Just...way too serious.

No he is. He had no way of knowing what my actual political beliefs were when he said those things. I don’t talk politics at work. It’s rude and causes problems. I had enough after SEVERAL conversations which I ignored, so he probably thought he was safe saying that stuff. I am not hot tempered and I wasn’t loud or rude. I told him to stop saying that stuff around me.

He doesn’t affect my work quality, I still do my thing and clean up his lazy work daily. That’s the other thing. He constantly asks me for help doing his work and doesn’t bother to learn what he’s doing. He’s a failed manager from another department and because my company won’t fire people he got reassigned and is bitter about it.

He constantly talks to his college age daughters and says the same stuff to them.

He’s not messing with me. Even if he was that’s a dick move. He’s really just a scared old white dude who thinks all brown people are out to kill him or steal his job/kids/life. He says that stuff all the time.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #7956
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

We should be allowed to deport such crappy citizens...

Grind...

Customer stops me on the way to take my break, asking if I can check a price. Sure, no problem. Customer halfheartedly holds item up and doesn't bother to even just turn it around so I can scan the damn thing, let alone hardly get to the bar code.

Before I leave him, he asks if I can also check the price on the kitchen knife he had. Why in gods name would you at least not turn it over so the bar code is visible, facing up, so the person can scan it? Is it stupidity or the epitome of laziness? Or purposeful inconsiderateness toward 'lowly retail workers.' His wife literally had to take it from his hand to turn it over. If the man was blind or something I could understand, but no way did that appear to be the case...

And given that I only have two hands, one to hold the gadget we use to scan stuff, etc, and the other holding onto my water bottle and food... Eesh. Those are the only two hands I have, sorry.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-24-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #7957
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
No he is. He had no way of knowing what my actual political beliefs were when he said those things. I don’t talk politics at work. It’s rude and causes problems. I had enough after SEVERAL conversations which I ignored, so he probably thought he was safe saying that stuff. I am not hot tempered and I wasn’t loud or rude. I told him to stop saying that stuff around me.

He doesn’t affect my work quality, I still do my thing and clean up his lazy work daily. That’s the other thing. He constantly asks me for help doing his work and doesn’t bother to learn what he’s doing. He’s a failed manager from another department and because my company won’t fire people he got reassigned and is bitter about it.

He constantly talks to his college age daughters and says the same stuff to them.

He’s not messing with me. Even if he was that’s a dick move. He’s really just a scared old white dude who thinks all brown people are out to kill him or steal his job/kids/life. He says that stuff all the time.
Sucks. Sometimes you just have to ride the wave. I worked under a total sociopath for three years who was hell-bent on getting rid of my department, but couldn't do it outright for various political reasons. They did their best to erode any sense of stability we may have had, and then started pitting us against each other.

Just after we were downsized, this individual was fired. The environment is a lot better now, even though a lot of damage was done.

Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel you're in right now.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #7958
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Grinds...

When your crackers are too weak for your spread cheese and keep breaking too easily while trying so spread it...

https://i.imgur.com/eQx9aj5.gif

Bonus grind... when you want to try to make a gif out of those TMNT sticker frames to go along with above grind, but in the process of trying to get rid of background color it just ends up with messy edges.

https://i.imgur.com/hqoIvgh.gif
I actually kind of like it. makes it look like TV static.

When you get filled in with some user info and then suddenly don't feel so bad about the childish reaction that was gotten. smh...
Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #7959
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Welcome Katie to the actual reality of reporting and fighting against toxic work environments, in which a strong pursuit toward reporting and fighting against it, leads to career risk. As much as the media loves to blame and portray "the workplace culture created by widespread numerous bigoted individuals" and virtue signal about it, as you have most likely seen, all it takes is a few individuals in power (in the right power structure) to create a toxic work environment for many, in which harassment can abound. Even if a superior isn't bigoted or narcissistic, no superior wants to be known as the one who "created waves" in the company, and sink their own shots of career advancement in/outside the company when it comes to pulling up their personnel file/references.
I have a story that kind of goes against that.

Local Radio station had a show called Scott and Todd. Todd was a complete a hole, and pretty much wanted his own show once he got popular enough. He first tried an 80s show, and the ratings on that tanked fast, and it didn't last long. After that, he got a new agent who told him he should be the star, as the story goes.

So, long story short, he started making the work place miserable for people. Talking about a persons divorce on air so much it became uncomfortable and that person loyal to scott quit. Then he targeted the next person loyal to scott, and the next, and brought in one of his own people to even things out. Eventually, the show became so nasty and unlistenable, many people where dropping it and it was at this time, he finally went after the host, scott and managed to either get him fired, or not get his contract renewed and out the door the guy who hired him went.

Needless to say, none of us listening where shocked the show was ending it was so miserable. but, like all people in the dark, we thought it was amicable splits. and trusted them to tell the truth a bout what was going on. Later on, the truth came out. Scott and Todd was a steady #10 in the ratings for 23 years. When the truth popped out, the new 'todd show'dropped to #23 in about 3 months and ALL his listeners went over to Scott's new station. and most of that happened a little bit before the truth came out because the Todd show was un listenable.

So, some people WILL risk damaging career and advancement elsewhere to get ahead in their current spot. although in this case, it thankfully didn't work out, and now they might all get let go due to bankruptcy. so karma may yet work out in the end.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #7960
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Current pet peeves I want to vent about:
  • People who drive too slow in the left lane
  • People who are picky about the miniscule amount of vegetables that come on a burger
  • People who stop in the middle of pathways or aisles at the grocery store
  • Just people in general sometimes
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote