The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #15841
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Yeah, though I wonder how it would have worked if they bought the tapes, but not TNA
True. I considered that they could just refer to the early years of TNA performers as time spent affiliated with the NWA, since TNA used the championship from 2002 through to 2007, though at the same time, WWE like to pretend the NWA ceased to be an entity when WCW seperated from it, if their World Heavyweight Championship history is to be taken at face(palm) value.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #15842
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
True. I considered that they could just refer to the early years of TNA performers as time spent affiliated with the NWA, since TNA used the championship from 2002 through to 2007, though at the same time, WWE like to pretend the NWA ceased to be an entity when WCW seperated from it, if their World Heavyweight Championship history is to be taken at face(palm) value.
Well, the NWA title did split with WCW, who formed the WCW championship, so it's not like WWE has a lot of reason to acknowledge it existed past that point. It lost a lot of luster, too, especially since the split with TNA left it off TV entirely, so it's not like the belt means much anymore.

Though if they wanted to, there's nothing stopping them from doing what you say if they ever did get the TNA tape library assuming, like, Anthem wanted to start over with a fresh slate or whatever. WWE technically owns NWA, dating back to agreements signed when the NWA had their invasion angle on Raw in '98/'99.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #15843
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Well, the NWA title did split with WCW, who formed the WCW championship, so it's not like WWE has a lot of reason to acknowledge it existed past that point. It lost a lot of luster, too, especially since the split with TNA left it off TV entirely, so it's not like the belt means much anymore.
Remember when the NWA had a brief affiliation with the WWF itself 20 years ago? That was around the time UFC's Dan Severn was champion and was in the company helping Owen Hart feud against Ken Shamrock
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #15844
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Remember when the NWA had a brief affiliation with the WWF itself 20 years ago? That was around the time UFC's Dan Severn was champion and was in the company helping Owen Hart feud against Ken Shamrock
That's what I was talking about when I mention the NWA "invasion" angle they ran with briefly. WWE technically owns NWA because of that, given agreements signed at the time. I think it might have been on Jim Cornettes podcast where one of the guys involved in the decision making process at the time revealed that.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #15845
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Before I post this, I've never heard of this website and this article should be taken with a grain of salt. Their source is the Observer.

Roman Reigns Involvement In Purchasing Steroids Will Be Revealed In A Few Weeks

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:14 AM   #15846
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Sounds like they're just trying to keep that up as long as possible, so it would affect the Wrestlemania plans. If it were true, it would have been proven already.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #15847
ZariusTwo
Overlord

If they want to get a move on, they'd better do it now, the Chamber is on tonight, unless they just want to make the company look bad in the mist of Reigns big 'Mania push for added publicity.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #15848
The Deadman
Foot Elite

If the report is legit, they're obviously waiting for the Chamber to end so they can release it this week. If they dont Id be shocked.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 AM   #15849
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
If the report is legit, they're obviously waiting for the Chamber to end so they can release it this week. If they dont Id be shocked.
Guess it's money-where-their-mouth is time, Reigns won the chamber match
Old 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #15850
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Guess it's money-where-their-mouth is time, Reigns won the chamber match
That win was both funny and ridiculous, too. Braun trucked everyone, kicked out of multiple finishers and looked like he'd leveled up in toughness since Brock beat him last year. The entire talking point Roman has is that he's the guy who came the closest to beating Brock - which is revisionist history in action - and the only one who can do it, then he barely beats a man who survived everything anyone could throw at him and eliminated everyone else in the chamber. The guy who looked like he could do it last night was Braun Strowman. Even if it made sense on a basic level - Braun beat five guys by himself, so he was wore out - it still feels less like "Roman overcame him" and, in kayfabe, like he got lucky and doesn't deserve it or, out of kayfabe, like exactly the sort of insisting on Reigns fans always hated.

But the really funny part is that they know fans hate him. They know they won't accept him. That's the reason for the post match attack. If you know your decision is going to require a "send the crowd home happy" post match segment... why the hell are you doing it? Why don't you just go all the way and let Braun clear the entire chamber, then beat Lesnar? It's not like we're talking Daniel Bryan here, because Braun is wrestler type B that Vince McMahon loves.

But Reigns reigning all over the match was expected. At least it was done here, I guess, and Nak got the Rumble (though, jesus, they really need to put him back on TV immediately, don't let people just forget about your Rumble winner). This is just one of those stories WWE's intent on seeing through to the end, even if it means the guy the fans hate main events a fourth straight Wrestlemania.

As for Braun... I wonder where the hell we even go from here. I thought we were going with the IC strap at 'Mania, because that whole thing hasn't seen any sort of real resolution. But he got measures of revenge on the main people who wronged him recently. Miz was lambasted and eliminated with ease. Elias followed. Roman's the only one he's got real beef with, but Roman's going to the title match. Do they just continue a program with Miz, only now for the IC title despite Braun easily crushing him twice, having Braun just, I don't know, forget the Universal title? Or does he end up in the 'Dre again?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #15851
The Deadman
Foot Elite

So apparently Brock noshowed last night and they're taking the accusations of Roman a little more seriously

http://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/02/...ia-main-event/

Old 02-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #15852
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Meltzer also speculates Cena will face Nakamura at Fast Lane with the 'Mania title shot on the line...and that despite Cena's promo, Undertaker is still scheduled to face him at 'Mania

http://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/02/...ch-undertaker/
Old 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #15853
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Askua was supposed to pick her 'Mania opponent last night, but it got nixed

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/...om-monday-raw/
Old 02-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #15854
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So instead of The Miz being a face vs Braun Strowman its going to be a triple threat for The Miz's Intercontinental Championship with Seth Rollins and Finn Baylor? Also, Braun Strowman is possibly in the mix of some combination of Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and himself because of the guy spouting lies about his steroid ring? As much of a casual as I am, the Strowman vs Miz concept looked interesting. There is also Cena vs Undertaker? I did not even want Roman to beat Taker...
Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #15855
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I mean, he's not really lying about the steroid ring if he got convicted for it.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #15856
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I mean, he's not really lying about the steroid ring if he got convicted for it.
I meant those who allegedly bought from him. Of course I want my guy clean. However, while its more of a personal investment I prefer Roman and any of the fifteen others whomever they are didn't actually do business with the man. I just don't trust the guy making claims for attention or to see others defamed as he goes down. If on the of chance Roman Regins or any of the others did its a shame.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 AM   #15857
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
So apparently Brock noshowed last night and they're taking the accusations of Roman a little more seriously
I feel like Brock pulls this s*** every time his contract's up. It's a strongarm tactic, the kind you can only get away with in this business when you're on the demand level he is. The solution to the problem is simple; stop giving him the damn titles if he's still around after 'Mania.

I'll believe the Reigns stuff when I see it, but if fear ends up with Braun in the main event, I'm down with it. So long as that's the only multi-man title match (well, aside from the IC title, because it looks like that'll be one too). If the rest of them are one on one affairs, a multi-man match is fine, it's just that they load those things on cards too much. Just use the damn 'Dre for what it's there for and have a big womens tag on the pre-show to get the rest of them on the card.

I doubt Braun wins in such a scenario - unless they actually want a recent Wrestlemania to end on something other than a chorus of boos - but he'll have main evented, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So instead of The Miz being a face vs Braun Strowman its going to be a triple threat for The Miz's Intercontinental Championship with Seth Rollins and Finn Baylor? Also, Braun Strowman is possibly in the mix of some combination of Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and himself because of the guy spouting lies about his steroid ring? As much of a casual as I am, the Strowman vs Miz concept looked interesting. There is also Cena vs Undertaker? I did not even want Roman to beat Taker...
Miz would never be face against Strowman. Hell, I'll be surprised if they ever try to make him a face again. He's so good at what he does as a heel that he revived his career just off the back of the past two years of work. He'd do some things to piss Braun off, heel it up, then get murdered. I mean, that's basically how you play that. Which is fine and I wasn't upset at the idea of IC champ Braun Strowman, mind you.

I hated it in the moment, but I've sort of softened to Reigns beating 'Taker. Brock's the only other guy to do it and he's part time. You want to give that rub of beating Undertaker to someone else, an up and comer. I don't like Reigns - though I could be convinced if WWE would stop trying to force the issue - but if you're giving it to someone, he's probably the guy. Him or Strowman, though I'm not sure Strowman could carry 'Taker as much as 'Taker would need, especially the Strowman of early last year. So you give it to Reigns. Fair enough. It's not like the crowd didn't already hate him before, so defeating Undertaker won't make it worse anyway.

As for Cena and 'Taker, if it happens, I can't imagine Cena wins. It'll likely be one last hurrah, so the last image of Undertaker is a happier one than last year and so they can cross out the last Wrestlemania dream match left on the docket that's still possible, since Sting was forced to retire. That's if it happens. There's scuttlebutt that Rey Mysterio might be signed to face Cena at Wrestlemania and judging by last year 'Taker is finally too broken down to go at a high level anymore.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #15858
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"You either die a face, or live long enough to see yourself become a barely functional or partially embarrassing anything."

There really hasn't been any triumphant exits of any wrestlers that I can remember, ever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #15859
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"You either die a face, or live long enough to see yourself become a barely functional or partially embarrassing anything."

There really hasn't been any triumphant exits of any wrestlers that I can remember, ever.
I guess it depends on what you mean for triumphant? If you mean still somewhat together and healthy, HBK and Ric Flair walked away from WWE in a good way, though they lost the matches that retired them, of course (though Flair sort of ruined it elsewhere after, but that's another issue). If you mean winning, you're right, that's pretty rare. Even as much as the business has changed, the old school mentality to go out on your back and put over someone else still had a lot of hold. Edge got that, retaining the WHC at Wrestlemania, but it was mainly because they found out he had to retire immediately after due to injury.

I just remembered. Trish Stratus got one. She won the Womens championship in her retirement match. I think Lita did too?

It seems more common in Japan; you hear occasionally about farewell tours for legendary figures there.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #15860
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So Lesnar was given the night off to give Roman something for a promo that went well?

https://www.google.com/amp/thebiglea...stlemania/amp/

Is it wrong of me to think it is not good to have him repeatedly use profanity? I mean if he is to be over with children and it being TV-Y7. I admit my viewing is based around Reigns and Taker highlights so others could be the same. It just seems an odd choice when he is the top good guy.

Tags
armbar#, silverdome brother, wrestling