The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 03:50 AM   #1
Shellington
Foot Soldier

What do you want to see in the third film?

Let's talk about what we want to see in this proposed reboot. I'd like:
- a smaller, more crime-oriented (Mirage-inspired) focus, after all the Foot Clan are yakuza
- Baxter Stockman developing cyborg armor or fly mutations (maybe both)
- Hamato Yoshi appearing, either as Splinter's master or Splinter himself

That's all I got for now.
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why would it be "the third film"? It's not Platinum Dunes TMNT part 3. It's either "the new film" or "the 7th movie."

And wow. Crazy to think there will have been 7 movies by the time if/when this comes out. 7 TMNT movies. 6 mostly bad. 1 pretty OK.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

What do I want? Shucks, it'd be easier to list what I don't want.

I Don't want:
  1. April as a reporter, most people need to let go of that notion.
  2. Giant Turtles with super strength, because the mutant turtle angle doesn't require it.
  3. Pizza Jokes, since they're not funny, never were, never will be.
  4. Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady, they're not interesting and they usually come across as annoying.
  5. Humans mutating into animals, which is pointless and makes things more confusing even in the case of Splinter, no matter how you try to justify it.

Those are things I'd be happy if they ignored. Trying to figure what I'd actually want is trickier but it boils down to one of two things.
A) Adapt what actually worked rather than bait nostalgia.
B) Go back to the basic concept and rethink it.

Which to me basically means "A Mirage story restructured to fit a cinematic narrative" or "IDW's ideas in a new story that's less dense" or "Let some creative person read som TMNT comics and go nuts". Besides, TMNT as a concept isn't that hard to wrap your head around. Daredevil+X-Men+Animals=TMNT.

Maybe I come back with something more specific, but being vague here is the point. Unless you're heading the project yourself, you shouldn't want anything too specific, that's just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why would it be "the third film"? It's not Platinum Dunes TMNT part 3. It's either "the new film" or "the 7th movie."

And wow. Crazy to think there will have been 7 movies by the time if/when this comes out. 7 TMNT movies. 6 mostly bad. 1 pretty OK.
Well it is under the “Platinum Dunes” section of the board and it would be the third film from them.

It’s crazy the amount of bad luck we’ve had with tmnt films. Following the production of TMNT films, then winding up disappointed has been a constant in my life. Sure, I’m partially to blame for my own expectations, but that’s a harsh view of the situation.

And I’ll be following this one too, with optimism, for now. Statistically, we have to be in for something better than the last five or six.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, can we maybe discuss the actual topic and not nitpick what we're calling the third TMNT film project by PD. It's not like Shellington called is a "sequel" or anything. Calling it "the third" doesn't change what it will or won't be.

That said, honestly, I think PD would probably be best served and safer just to come up with an entirely original story of their own. One that is actually GOOD. Skip the dumb elements or boring things like fart jokes and evil businessmen (aka Eric Sacks). At least make new human villains more interesting than that... (Eric wasn't even a real threat to the Turtles, beyond draining their blood, just a threat to the city, but then never an actual threat at all. They never even directly interacted with him other than Leo speaking two words to him while captured.)

I'm kind of tired of repeating the same things over and over, and even more-so of having to go twisting those things up to try to make them new again. I'd be completely okay with an original tale of other events in the lives of preferably older Turtles; because most versions have not touched on their adult years, or just barely, and there is so much open ground to create something original...that still suits them. It would be a much safer bet for PD.

But it HAS to be a good, complete, in depth story, with heart and meaning and all that, so it can stand on its own as something that can draw an audience without having to rely on nostalgia to get cheap interest. I mean look how good Guardians of the Galaxy turned out; it drew a wide audience of both people who were familiar and those who were not, as well as those into comic book films and those who aren't so interested, because it was a fun, well done adventure. Take a script that good and there's no reason the Turtles can't pull it off if the film makers are willing to treat them as people and heroes rather than "talking animals" they have to make a joke out of. The story of OotS had a lot more potential, but they cut it off at the knees by simplifying it and focusing on the wrong aspects of the overall story. (Like turning it into a scavenger hunt for alien portal parts rather than the, albeit overdone, alien attack on Earth theme.)

Don't reboot from the origin... PD can't handle it and personally I feel no desire to see it from them. (I'll go pop in 1990 if I wanna see that retelling.) Time jump and lets just cover new ground. (Like to their 20s, not a future century.)

I'm a little tired of alien themes at the moment, but if you want to use existing characters from canon and make Krang an actual threat or try out the Triceratons... Eh, why not. Though I still say grab those weird would-be turtle-like alien designs and make them foes for our boys to tangle with.

And remember, the Turtles don't have powers. Under a different exterior they're just a bunch of normal guys just trying to do the best they can in life with the cards they are dealt, just like the rest of us. They didn't even ask to be heroes, but it's a fate that found them.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-24-2018 at 12:28 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There is every reason to believe if any lessons are learned by TPTB after the last couple of "films"... it will be the wrong ones.

i.e., like... "we went too edgy with the last two! We need to play things for an even younger audience!" "Too little Fred Wolf! We need to double down on camp and Bebop!" "We didn't individualize the Turtles enough... we need more accessories!"
Old 06-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Possible, which is a shame.

On the other hand, I hope the new writer will be able to view it from a better perspective since he wasn't involved the last two times and will consider what worked and what didn't. If he's willing to research and lurk around he's probably, hopefully, got no reason to dig in his heals against criticism of the last two films, and I hope able to recognize those previous guys' dumb decisions for what they were. (And the bits that did work okay according to viewers)

I recommend he watch both of those films several times and lurk around online and read up a lot on what the internet had to say.

Individualize the Turtles largely via their personalities, please. I kind of prefer them looking a little different from each other and having their own style, but keep it uncluttered. If they're still in pants, fine, but keep the rest to necessities. They don't need to be taking unnecessary junk with them when they're 'on the job.' Use it or lose it leave it home.

And please... no blue door. Do not do to them what that script did in the end or disconnected them from being fellow Earthlings.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-24-2018 at 04:46 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Possible, which is a shame.

On the other hand, I hope the new writer will be able to view it from a better perspective since he wasn't involved the last two times and will consider what worked and what didn't. If he's willing to research and lurk around he's probably, hopefully, got no reason to dig in his heals against criticism of the last two films, and I hope able to recognize those previous guys' dumb decisions for what they were. (And the bits that did work okay according to viewers)

I recommend he watch both of those films several times and lurk around online and read up a lot on what the internet had to say.

Individualize the Turtles largely via their personalities, please. I kind of prefer them looking a little different from each other and having their own style, but keep it uncluttered. If they're still in pants, fine, but keep the rest to necessities. They don't need to be taking unnecessary junk with them when they're 'on the job.' Use it or lose it leave it home.

And please... no blue door. Do not do to them what that script did in the end or disconnected them from being fellow Earthlings.
The problem with this is that "new writer" is meaningless. This isn't going to be allowed to be some passion project for someone with something to say... it is the Viacom machine wanting another Turtle movie product to justify their investment and the biggest chance of return.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I would like to see the return of Bebop and Rocksteady. Some new villains like the Purple Dragons. Maybe introduce Agent Bishop as the villain. Some more mutants. Maybe Leatherhead?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
Powder
So tired of this place

We've had this thread 1000 times but alrighty.

Film 1:

-Ninja Assassin meets TMNT, in that it's purely martial arts goodness, flashing back & forth between the past/present & JP/NY, with The Foot Clan being the primary focus.

-We get a nice chunk of Saki/Yoshi's origins, but not much of the turtles'. I think it'd be far more interesting to get background on Saki/Yoshi as opposed to an April O'neil side story. There can be a quick oozed in the sewer overview at the very start if need be, but where we're dropped into the story, the turtles already know April/Casey & have been at odds with The Foot Clan for some time now.

-The Foot in the modern day are a Yakuza outfit with ninja mercenary stuff as their primary gig, though they pass themselves off as businessmen or whatever. The streets know what's really going on, though. We see how they operate in two different countries, with Saki as the leader of one (NY) & Karai as the other (JP). Shredder works overseas as he'd been banished from the clan for being too brash & having little to no sense of honor, whereas Karai is old-school.

-Have your various fight scenes, like Saki VS. Yoshi (flashback), TMNT VS. petty thugs (Purple Dragons?), TMNT VS. Foot Clan (several times, each on a different scale), & TMNT VS. Shredder. Throw Casey into one or two of the fights, have April be on the sidelines in some capacity. Keep it New Yorky, have 'em duke it out in the subway, the sewer, alleyways, rooftops, etc. High octane combat. These guys ain't Steven Segal, they're Jackie Chan.

-That said, think Jackie Chan is a good starting point. The stunts, the slapstick, fast moves, using the environment as prop fodder, fun humor that isn't overly idiotic. The tone being in line with his late 80's & early 90's stuff would be ideal. Think Police Story, Rumble In The Bronx, etc. mixed with the original Henson turtles flick.

-Have a scene where at some point Leonardo learns of Karai's existence, & come back to it later. Like, once Shredder is bested, they reach out to her to resolve things. She can absorb or takeover the NY Foot Clan, make sure there are no beefs with resentful members, etc. She'd not be all too much of a friend, necessarily, but she's honorable & doesn't want any BS that doesn't benefit her.

-Personally, I'd like to see a new film series take place in the 80's or early 90's. No smart phones, no internet culture, no PC sh*t, just that grimy punk/hip-hop grit from the days they were created. Folks into the TMNT largely are so due to nostalgia anyway, might as well milk it.

Film 2:

-Baxter Stockman X Mousers X Rat King. You can see where I'm going with this. A war in the sewers between rats & mousers, with the turtles at the center of it all. Splinter is at risk, harmed or kidnapped or whatever, as both Baxter & Rat King alike, now aware of his unique existence, want him for nefarious purposes.

-April gets a gig at Stockman's place for the sake of gaining intel. Casey is mostly there in a Raph buddy capacity, maybe they go off to find Rat King together or something.

-In the end, the turtles defeat & make peace with both enemy factions, as both realize they're better off as allies than opponents. Baxter might turn on 'em at some point (like contacting the EPF to report the turtles' existence), but not Rat King, he's a sewer ally now.

Film 3:

-Space. I don't care how or why, but God, we need a GOTG-styled TMNT flick. Gimmie Triceratons, Battle Nexus, Utroms, Fugitoid, anything. Gotta have it. Tie in Bishop or Leatherhead, sure.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
dragonside
Hench Mutant

to throw in something fun....

I'd like something that continues the story from the PD, but actually is set in another universe. Let's say after Krang's failed invasion causes him to explore different universes and with each one he finds... turtles stopping him at every corner....then he decides he wants a crisis on infinite earths.......... Turtles Forever - live action edition. LOL

Unfortunately in this scenario the closest to mirage would be the original movie turtles and they do a cross over to save both dimensions.

The reason I'd like to see this is... the original movie turtles are getting so much love from NECA and exposure due to SDCC. It'd be awesome to use them now.... even though it would have to be a CGI version of them, which I think is okay. I'm sure it'll make them look half decent (i.e. kind of like injustice). If they can get Judith Hoag to be April.. and meet Megan Fox... but like... legit. Wouldn't that be crazy. I'd love a casey meets casey scenario here too because Stephen Arnell meeting Elias Koteas would be sick.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

“TMNT: Next Gen”

Introducing the offspring of the “O.G” turtles, sporting four brand new mask colors and an online presence as they lurk from the shadows of the sewer AND the internet, in a bid to gain subscribers and positive influence in the war against the tyrannical organization “TheFoot.com” and their mysterious CEO, known only as “Shred-Web”. Join the next gen of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in couch-surfing adventure like you’ve never seen before. And don’t forget the Pizza!”
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Honestly for a reboot not connected to the others I’d be happy with a simple action adventure movie involving Shredder to start things off.

I know some will hate me for saying this but I do want more Fred Wolf elements. Elements...not tone. They were poorly done in the last 2.

You CAN have a more serious movie with a turtle van and Bebop and Rocksteady. It depends how they’re used. They don’t need to be idiots and a vehicle that’s actually useful can work.

If Batman can drive around in a bat-themed rocket car and still be considered stealthy the turtles can have a shell-themed car.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #14
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Honestly for a reboot not connected to the others I’d be happy with a simple action adventure movie involving Shredder to start things off.

I know some will hate me for saying this but I do want more Fred Wolf elements. Elements...not tone. They were poorly done in the last 2.

You CAN have a more serious movie with a turtle van and Bebop and Rocksteady. It depends how they’re used. They don’t need to be idiots and a vehicle that’s actually useful can work.

If Batman can drive around in a bat-themed rocket car and still be considered stealthy the turtles can have a shell-themed car.
The difference is that Batman is well-known figure amongst his city whereas the turtles are creatures operating as ninjas that almost nobody are aware of because of their appearances. Big difference.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Old 06-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Come on guys. You can’t seriously tell me a Turtle van is too outlandish but a rocket car with batwings and get-out-of-any-situation features is perfectly fine.

Just because Batman is known to his city doesn’t matter. He’s still supposed to keep his identity hidden.

For all the public knows humans could be driving the turtle van. I’m not saying purposely reveal themselves. It’d be a way to navigate and protect themselves. It worked in 4kids and Nick ‘12.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 AM   #17
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Since the last film ended with the Turtles being recognized as Heroes who live in the shadows. We keep that, Vernon isn't used in the story anymore. Since he had revealed to the police that he was taking all the credit for the Turtles's defeat of the Shredder from the first movie, he is no longer getting the fame he once had.

So at best is a passing mention that he moved to Chicago or some other city and has been happy ever since. Kraang said he would be back and Shredder has been added to Kraangs collection, so have them come back in a movie or so.

Sachs does return he finds Bebop and Rocksteady but doesn't feel two incredibly strong mutants are enough to take on the Turtles and defeat them. Instead, he has them collect other animals for experimentation. The gruesome twosome goes to the zoo to collect some animals for Sachs all the while grumbling about how they know they could take on the Turtles themselves. The turtles show up to stop them, but the two mutant thugs make off with a jackal, a snapping turtle, and an alligator.

Sach injects mutagen into these creatures which mutate into Rhazar, Slash, and Leatherhead. Their directive is that they are to hunt down the Turtles and destroy them.

Bebop and Rocksteady try to act like leaders to these new mutants. But none of the new mutants are interested in following them or working with them. Rahzar suggests they cause a disturbance to draw the Turtles out of hiding. The Turtles find themselves forced into the open where they are seen by the populous of New York. The battle causes widespread panic among the populous of the city causing anti-mutant sentiment. Police Chief Rebecca Vincent, finds it difficult to quell the public outcry. The only advice she can give the Turtles is to lay low until this all blows over. However, an FBI group lead by Agent John Bishop arrives in the city to round up the mutant scourge in the city.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

Quote:
Come on guys. You can’t seriously tell me a Turtle van is too outlandish but a rocket car with batwings and get-out-of-any-situation features is perfectly fine.

Just because Batman is known to his city doesn’t matter. He’s still supposed to keep his identity hidden.

For all the public knows humans could be driving the turtle van. I’m not saying purposely reveal themselves. It’d be a way to navigate and protect themselves. It worked in 4kids and Nick ‘12.
Batman has money, employs countless engineers/scientists, owns several factories and can mask his operations through shell companies. That and he needs to keep up with Superman somehow, he is a member of the most well known superhero group in the world after all.

The Turtles are basically filthy hobos who need to keep their very existance as obscure as possible, otherwise it'll be a permanent stay at Area 51.

Is that a good reason why?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:45 AM   #19
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Batman has money, employs countless engineers/scientists, owns several factories and can mask his operations through shell companies. That and he needs to keep up with Superman somehow, he is a member of the most well known superhero group in the world after all.

The Turtles are basically filthy hobos who need to keep their very existance as obscure as possible, otherwise it'll be a permanent stay at Area 51.

Is that a good reason why?
Just talking about Batman himself, in general. Not the Justice League or the world knowing of superheroes.

The turtles could have a vehicle posing as something else but still turtle/shell themed (like in the 2007 movie but obviously not that direct). I do NOT mean a “TMNT” branded car with a logo.

Casey Jones could even be the primary driver for them in case they’re stopped or questioned.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #20
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I just want a competent movie that gives us a coherent story with some decent martial arts without amateurish camera shaking.

Y'know, a good movie.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
from nm to mw, seppuku