The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #241
Vicky82
Emperor

There is a new promo with old and new scenes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmrGO24j...ken-by=tmnt_hq

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #242
Chris
Mad Scientist

I've watched the first 3 episodes now (or 2.5 I guess) and I must admit it doesn't really feel like Turtles to me.

It's a fun distraction for 10-15 minutes, and I must say I think the decision to go with 2 mini episodes per episode does fit well with the type of stories they're telling, but overall it just isn't clicking for me at the moment.

I'll see how it goes, probably for at least the first season, but so far it's not for me.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #243
Galactus
Foot Elite

I had no idea this show had premiered, if it wasn't for this board I'd still be in the dark. There seems to be a complete lack of promo for this show, even the usual nerd-media sites are not covering this.

To be honest I think there's something of a TMNT burn out that a lot of people are experiencing right now. We've had a lot of TMNT stuff in the last few years and little of it has been actually good that people are kind of fed up with the franchise. You see this with the news that not only is a new movie in the works but it's been handling by the same guys who drove the last big screen iteration into a ditch you'd think more people would have something to say about that but there's been very little chatter about it.

Also there hasn't been a significant turnover over of young fans since the last show. Most of the kids that are watching this will be the same kids stuck with the previous Nickelodeon series and if most adult fans that have experienced multiple iterations struggle with change so will the kids who for them this is all brand new.

All this may account for the shows low ratings. I know, I know TV ratings are not the be all and end all, they never were and especially not now when people have multiple ways to watch their favourite shows but I just don't see a whole lot hype for this show. It seems to exist for the sole reason to keep the brand active when it should not be. My personal theory is that Nickelodeon assumed that Out Of The Shadows was going to be a huge hit and create a new wave of interest in the franchise ripe for a new with the movie's concepts but since it wasn't they retooled a few of their ideas and pushed one out anyway. I've never subscribed to the belief that some fans have that TMNT needs downtime but it could certainly do with some now.

Anyway what did I think of the show itself?

I didn't care for it (surprise). Admittedly it's not really for me, the animation style and tone are clearly done with a young audience in mind and I can't fault them for going in that direction but there's a lot of stuff in the show that just doesn't work no matter what age you are.

We just had a movie were audiences of all ages repudiated the idea that giant roided up turtles look cool or that the turtles have to ultra colour coordinated and be heavily accessorized so people can tell them apart. There's designs that just don't hit the eye right and concepts that just seem screwy. It's actually bizarre they keep making these decisions when it never seems to work.

It's like every attempt to make a new primary villain other than the Shredder. There's something very Lord Dregg and Dragonlord about Baron Draxum. I suspect that Draxum will be somewhat connected to the turtles origin in this new show but I can't help but think who is this guy and why is he the turtles enemy. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with the character or either of the two villains I mentioned, it's not like these are TMNT universe but it seems weird most of the world will revolve around him.

Defenders of show will likely roll their eyes and ask do we really want to see the same story over and over but to some degree TMNT has to be that. It's part of the same mass merchandising properties like Transformers, Power Rangers and Pokemon (at it's peak it was the king of them) but unlike those franchises it was not created to be one, it doesn't have regeneration built into it's concept. There can't be a TMNT: The Next Generation or TMNT: Beast Wars or TMNT: Time Force. You could try and it might be interesting but it would likely end up like Next Mutation or Fast Foward.

Now every version will inevitably branch off into it's own thing. Look at 2K3 which arguably did have villains that successfully replaced Shredder in Hun and Bishop but they were built up and made much more sense in the TMNT world. You could argue Null in the TMNT Adventures comic fitted with the environmental themes that were strongly represented in that book.

Throwing a bunch of failed concepts and an ultra kewl new villain just isn't for me and I don't think it's for many other people either.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #244
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
There is a new promo with old and new scenes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmrGO24j...ken-by=tmnt_hq

Oh my goodness ...

Spoiler:
Fred Wolf (1987) Raphael makes a background cameo.

I wonder if we'll get a crossover soon.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #245
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Oh my goodness ...

Spoiler:
Fred Wolf (1987) Raphael makes a background cameo.

I wonder if we'll get a crossover soon.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #246
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, if they went for a crossover anytime soon, esp within the first season, I'd really question if they even went into this show with enough ideas to even support a series.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #247
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep. so much for 'this show is so original, it can stand on it's own, because it's so different!'

Bull cough.

'We want something lighter!' 'But we don't have enough creativity to do it on our own!' 'Who cares! we'll figure it out as we go..'

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?

Last edited by Vegita-San; 08-20-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #248
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
yep. so much for 'this show is so original, it can stand on it's own, because it's so different!'

Bull cough.

'We want something lighter!' 'But we don't have enough creativity to do it on our own!' 'Who cares! we'll figure it out as we go..'
Big baby hate.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #249
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Something original will be having me killing the turtles and splinter in episode 1 and then rest of the series will be about me and my foot ninjas conquering new york while fighting and killing evryone who stands against me! Not the turtles fighting mutants only that ha nothing to do with me and foot clan baxter utroms e.t.c.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #250
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Meaning it could get canceled sooner. Good plan.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #251
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Much better plan than what it is happening now where the turltes fighting only mutants. While all 3 tv series and also the comics have some episodes where it is the turtles against mutants and not me and my henchmen it is happening after i have fought them some times. However this series is the first time where it begins with the turtles fighting some random mutants instead of me and foot ninjas. Worst of all it is 5 episodes already and not me or Stockman or Krang and the Utroms or anything!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #252
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post

Bull cough.

What is this even referring to? I'm sure the new directors have their plans for the first season mapped out even before they started animation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #253
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Here is a video of the main cast reading positive comments about the show. There is also some new footage from the upcoming episodes. For example, there is one where Donnie is hovering mid-air looking bored? Annoyed? Here we go again? All of the above and Raph says "I know isn't cool!"

Old 08-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #254
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nah, that didn't seem forced at all.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #255
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

New Info:

Michelangelo:

Quote:
“Michelangelo is the youngest of the four Turtles and has a wild and colorful personality. He finds the fun in any situation, and if there is no fun – he’ll make it! Mikey is an artist and spends his time tagging the Turtles’ lair with graffiti or decking out his shell with an ever-changing assortment of awesome stickers. Mikey is always gung-ho for adventure, which can sometimes get him into trouble. But above all else, he is an eternal optimist and kicks total butt at ninjutsu with his flaming kusari-fundo!”

Donatello:

Quote:
“Donnie is the coolest tech wiz you’ll ever meet. Understandably proud of his smarts, he MAY sometimes be accused of having a bit of a big head. Donnie uses his mechanical genius to construct a series of amazing battle shells and uses his transforming tech-bo staff and robotic drone S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. to take on any foe.”

Leonardo:

Quote:
“Leonardo is intelligent, clever, and hilarious. He can easily figure out any situation, and uses his quick-witted skills to beat opponents, clear obstacles, or land one of his many one-liners. Leo likes to think of himself as the “cool guy” on the team – a rascal with a wink in his eye and a sly grin. He’s a rebel through and through and isn’t afraid to break the rules when he thinks he’s right. He could be a strong leader, but he’d rather go for hi-jinx than take the high road.”

Raphael:

Quote:
“As the biggest and oldest brother, Raphael is the leader of the group. He thinks he can use his fists to get himself out of any situation, which is usually why he’s pretty much always covered in bandages. But while Raph’s muscles may be bigger than his brain, his heart is even bigger. He never backs down from a fight and always tries his best to save the day.”
Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #256
Vicky82
Emperor

There's a new Meat Sweats clip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnCBFhxHydD/?taken-by=tmnt

There is also some new footage of Splinter in it.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #257
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

New Footage:

The Turtles are dancing.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #258
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Had noticed that in the ads, but it's too quick to really take in exactly what all is happening. Had been hoping an image of it would turn up.

Did catch that it looked like they were mimicking the original movie Turtles a bit on a stage and that OT Raph face behind them... But, uh, so the Raph face is on a hippo... crapping cookies...?

Yeah, so there's that. Whatever that is. I mean, it's a little amusing given the film reference, but... just... what? But thanks for sharing the gif.

If their goal is to be absurd enough to the point that they reach the level in which there just are no words for it, so that people eventually just sit staring dumbfounded in silence, then I suppose they may well find the success they're seeking in that regard.

But I'm telln' ya, when the time comes that cartoons want to get a bit more real again and this brainless nonsense is no longer the thing (in cartoons in general), some future serious version is gonna crossover with this and own this show so hard, an advanced level of 'owned' the likes of which OT never saw in Turtles Forever. Because this trend is not going to age well.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #259
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise officially starts on Mon 17th Sept at 5:30pm (not sure if that’s eastern or Pacific time)

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tv/rise-...797?aid=arlrad

The Episode guide looks a bit jumbled up so it might not be quite right, but it looks like the 1st episode airing is

17th - Donnie’s Gifts
The Turtles have to fight their bad habits and a mutant chef.

18th - Down With the Sickness
The turtles must endure Splinter’s Rat Flu and the seven terrible stages that come with it.

19th - War & Pizza and Newsworthy

19th - Shell in a Cell
Leo unseats Raph’s idol as pro wrestling champion of the world.

20th - Repo Mantis

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...orShow&desc=on

Last edited by Vicky82; 09-07-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #260
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Rise officially starts on Mon 17th Sept at 5:30pm (not sure if that’s eastern or Pacific time)

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tv/rise-...797?aid=arlrad
Probably not Pacific. Arkansas based site which is in the Central time zone and normally shares tv airings with Eastern, which may very likely mean that it is at 6:30 Eastern. (With Mountain and Pacific probably repeating the 6:30/5:30 respectively later.) But the commercials will let us know soon.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-06-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Tags
rise of the tmnt