Notices

Old 10-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #41
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

With 1 Hour left and 37 votes. 2012 = 41% 1987 = 38% 2003 = 22% and 2018 = 0%
Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #42
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Well. The Final Results are 1987 and 2012 are tied with 38%. 2003 is 23% and 2018 is 0%
Old 10-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #43
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
My comparison isn't "all of a sudden" nor do you have to agree with me for my feelings on the show to be valid. I've watched everything that's been released or aired so far multiple times and, "This is like a reincarnation of the '87 toon for kids in 2018," is what I got from it.

If you don't get the '87 vibe from a colorful comedy show that's full of mutants and has Leo literally wielding a sword seemingly inspired by The Ninja Sword of Nowhere, then that's totally on you. Don't act like I'm somehow "wrong" for my interpretation of the material.

You're just repeating the same "new version hate" that happens every time this happens. Mirage to '87. '87 to 2k3. 90s films to the 2007 film. 2k3 to 2012. 2012 to Rise.

Every time. Like clockwork. And you're being a jerk about it, too.
Nah, he's not being a jerk. The shows have almost nothing in common other than the TMNT brand. Rise is really really terrible.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #44
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
Nah, he's not being a jerk. The shows have almost nothing in common other than the TMNT brand. Rise is really really terrible.
I don’t want to join a fight here, and with all due respect, I fail to see how somebody can adore the 87 series but absolutely loathe Rise. The original cartoon (in my opinion) is very, very cheesy. It’s also dull and every episode is the same Mutant of the week plot. Rise is just as childish and colorful as the OT and even has decent humor and a loose storyline, but it’s hated because the turtles look different and nostalgia goggles.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:51 AM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

There's a bit more to it than that, man.

Even at its silliest, the original cartoon wasn't full-blown Tex Avery/Looney Tunes. That's exactly what "Rise" is: TMNT by way of Looney Tunes. Some people dig that, I guess, but it's about the furthest thing away from what I'd ever want to see, and apparently a lot of others feel the same.

The original show and the newest one are completely different types of "goofy"; the word definitely applies to both, but there are totally different degrees. It's completely understandable why some people can appreciate the original and not the new one. They're both comedic; otherwise, they're nothing alike at all. "Nostalgia Goggles" really is over-simplifying it, in this case.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #46
asfaloth12
Thug

This show reminds me of Spongebob in a way. Very, very silly, but entertaining at times. That said, I can totally understand why fans would dislike it. If you can't stand dumb humor, then this show is not for you. It's extremely unlikely to ever be one of my favorite versions of TMNT, and I can't imagine myself ever buying any of the DVDs.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

I love dumb, random humor. I thoroughly enjoy Aqua Teen and 12 Oz. Mouse, while fully acknowledging that, at the very least, 12 Oz. Mouse is terrible.

I just don't want to see TMNT anywhere near that kind of thing. I fully acknowledge that the brand has a lot of diversity woven into it, and you can pretty much present it however you want and get away with it, but THIS kind of TMNT is, to me, pretty much the Worst-Case Scenario, and there's nothing to counter-balance it in the mainstream. That's ultimately my problem with it; not that it's "dumb, random humor", but because A. I don't think that's the best way to present TMNT, and B. We also get no alternative, it's This or Nothing.

Before anyone "corrects" me, I don't consider the comic books mainstream. The tiniest fraction of people who are aware of the TMNT brand read the comics, but "everyone" watches the cartoons and movies. Therefore, it's THOSE adaptations, in my mind, that have the greatest responsibility to present the brand with dignity and respect.

If we at the very least ALSO had another show or a movie that was, y'know... "better", I doubt I'd even know this one existed, let alone be in a position to have an opinion of it.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #48
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Before anyone "corrects" me, I don't consider the comic books mainstream. The tiniest fraction of people who are aware of the TMNT brand read the comics, but "everyone" watches the cartoons and movies. Therefore, it's THOSE adaptations, in my mind, that have the greatest responsibility to present the brand with dignity and respect.
I'd like to think that's the case for all comic book properties especially in Marvel's case. It's weird since you get some fans of superhero films referencing the comics despite the likelihood that they get their information on the internet. Could one say that comics is a small market compared to cartoons and movies? Not just for TMNT but for others as well?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #49
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The issue with Rise is that its made for the short attention span generation. those that don't want deep stories and plot. and just want something simplistic to follow.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #50
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Follow? More like, "Just entertain me for a few minutes with flashy colors."

Seriously, Hypnotoad will someday be the thing. (Oh god, we've already got a hypnopotamus, we're getting close.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #51
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Follow? More like, "Just entertain me for a few minutes with flashy colors."
Yep. Those with short attention spans.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The 87 series appealed to all ages. And it had stuff that adults could enjoy.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #53
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The 87 series appealed to all ages. And it had stuff that adults could enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah I'll have to agree with Andrew on this one, the only adults who enjoy that show are those who grew up with it and don't want to be critical due to nostalgia.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #54
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah I'll have to agree with Andrew on this one, the only adults who enjoy that show are those who grew up with it and don't want to be critical due to nostalgia.
I am an adult who didn't grow up with it, and I still enjoy it

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #55
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah, my parents both thought the original TMNT cartoon was hilarious.

...They both smoked a looooooooot of pot, but, they were in their 40s and thoroughly thought it was a good show. So, there's that.

Then agaaaaain... they ALSO were huge Grateful Dead fans... which is like, the biggest determining factor of all time in whether or not you have terrible taste and nobody should acknowledge your opinions. So maybe they were just stupid and liked stupid things.

Yeah, no, that's what it was. Grateful Dead fandom is 100% inexcusable. You guys are right; rather than being an exception to a rule, my parents simply liked awful things.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 AM   #56
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
I'm a huge TMNT fan, as are my 6 and 9 year old boys. I absolutely hate this show!! You would think my boys would like it but NO...they don't! Their first comment watching it was "why did they take off the other show to put this on!?".
I can get past the visuals of the show if it was even remotely entertaining story-wise. I find the writing is terrible, especially for Splinter and April! I could care less that they changed April's ethnicity, but does she have to speak like a stereotypical ghetto girl? The sad thing is, the actress who plays her sounds nothing like that. She's a very beautiful and talented actress and would come across much better if she just used her normal voice. And don't get me started on Splinter...what's the point of this bloated, tv watching, juvenile acting idiot?!
Ok.... I've griped enough. I enjoy collecting TMNT merchandise and have a HUGE collection, but I will not be supporting this show. When we first saw the figures in the store I asked my 6 year old if he wanted a set of the turtles and he quickly responded with "no thanks"!

Last edited by rickwj324; 11-03-2018 at 09:57 AM.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #57
Cowa
Random Punk

Location: I'm pretty sure I'm living somewhere inside my mind
I'm also a new member (although I've been reading The Technodrome forums for years now) and I don't want to be rude, but may I be honest? I agree with almost everything that was said here.
I'm not very found of the design and all the changes they made concerning this new series, but I could easily get past this if the story was good enough. The thing is that I find this show so... dumb. I know it is aimed for small kids, but I don't think this is a valid excuse since there's plenty of good kid's shows that are far from being dumb, like the last series for example.
In a nutshell, I'd say my problems with ROTTMNT are:
-Plot and storytelling are confused and too fast paced
-They are trying too hard to be funny. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy dumb humor but in my opinion in this case the "dumb" isn't followed by the "humor"
-Voice acting is dull and awkard
-The turtles are a softer version of their 2012 counterparts mixed with plain innocence and stupidity
-April is more OOC than Leo and Splinter is simply disgusting
-Character design is ugly and weird.
-And lastly, villains aren't that much memorable
Now for the good points I'd say I like the collors and the fact they decided to make Donatello a grump guy is the best thing of this show.
I'm sorry for the rant but I love TMNT and it's kinda sad to have an animated series going on and not be able to enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #58
TMNTmousers
Thug

1987 series was great had great episodes like Night of the Rogues, Legend of Koji, characters -The turtles, Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady etc

2003- A new take on tmnt great episodes Return to New York, Hun on the Run, Big Brawl arc, characters Bishop, Hun, Dark Turtles etc

2012 another great series with Shredder, Rahzar, Fishface, Tiger Claw, Slash, great eps Slash and Destroy, Requiem, Owari etc

2018 I personally don't like anything about this series.
TMNTmousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #59
TheShredder777
Random Punk

1987: This series gets a lot of flack for being cheesy. It had some bad moments, mainly due to the censors, but overall I think it's great. To me, the pilot episodes will always be what that show was and they are my favorite TMNT thing on film. I dare anyone to find anything in the pilot episodes that are as cheesy as headless ape robots with butt cannons.

2003: I love this show as well. I appreciate it more now than I did when it aired and can thoroughly enjoy re-watching the whole series.

2012: This show had it's ups and downs as well. From stealth, ninja sequences and straight up murder, down to the aforementioned butt apes. It's a show I sat down and watched with my children and gave us something we could share and enjoy together.

2018: Meh

TheShredder777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 AM   #60
dragonside
Hench Mutant

i feel like this show has some good things.

Animation quality is amazing.

I think based on a few of the episodes I've seen ,it has potential to be good. I'd like them to get into a real story arc rather than the one off villains and episodes so far.

I just hope it doesn't get into that "beware the batman" syndrome. I worried that the TMNT 2012 series would be like that, but i genuinely enjoyed the show. I would say generally the toys had decent sales.

Now for Rise, its not even just about the show, its about the toy sales.... so let's see how they do. If it goes the way of next mutation.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote