The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise Official Episode Discussion S1 EP16 Shadow of Evil

As the Turtles try to lure Baron Draxum out, Splinter tries to get to the bottom of odd goings-on at April's new job.

Here's a clip

https://tmntvicky.tumblr.com/post/18...te-tmnt-foe-be

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Bebop and Rocksteady fakeout, that's kinda funny.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Vicky82
Emperor

Wow, that was really good episode and got a lot more backstory.

So Shredder is a demon that was banished 500 years ago by scattering his armour.

Splinter finally reveals he's Lou Jitsu and his ancestors were the ones who banished Demon Shredder and make sure the Foot Clan don't get hold of the armour again but Lou Jitsu didn't believe in the story and decided to become a movie star.

It was funny seeing April and Splinter together while the Turtles fighting the mutated bird in the background.

Loved the Bebop and Rocksteady reference.

Splinter fighting the turtles was pretty good, Splinter is a good fighter.

Last edited by Vicky82; 04-20-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

"Our destiny begins tomorrow and we are way behind."

Yup, and that totally sums up this series so far. And perhaps intentionally? Hopefully that suggests we're finally at a turning point to some extent.

Pretty decent and glad they threw some backstory in there to try to explain this sudden revelation. I really wasn't too sure this show would hardly bother enough.

Mystic/demon Shredder... predictable, but not in a bad way, and fitting. And helps that this is probably (I assume) pulling from the old Tengu Shredder idea. (And I'm kind of wondering if that was the initial inspiration to even go in this mystic direction in general...)

My only real complaints about this one is needing to tone down some of the overdone hyperness a few notches -- some of that level of crazy is just distracting in a way that doesn't help it -- and just the nonsense, often common to today's cartoons unfortunately, that is a waste of precious storytelling time that it could have done without. (e.g. The going back and forth with Splinter to convince each other of what they were each up to and the overly long and unnecessary cover removal from the "pump sandals.")

Other things... haha B&R, the giant bird was kinda cool.... but why the hell did April not question or appear confused and/or shocked when Splinter was telling her about his life and fame when she and the Turtles had all been oblivious of this? Though I'm glad it was revealed to the Turtles. After April being unfazed I thought maybe we were just skipping it and pretending everyone already knows...

While there is still plenty of room for criticism, for what it is this show really is at its best on the rare occasion it gets back to its supposed theme. I hope that last line from Splinter did suggest it might finally make eps focusing on that theme a little more equal portion of the series now.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Prediction time, Shredder won't appear till season final in what I'd love an hour episode for once * sigh*

Still that ending got me hyped. Maybe will get a hint of Shredder in next weeks episode because the foot and recruit are credit for it I guess along with Leo and Donnie so they could get defeated by Shredder in the ending scene.

I'd love it if next season focused more on actual plot and development for Leo becoming the leader. One thing that's confusing, guys said this was a pre sequal to the later shows, as in Leo will become leader soon and Shredder popping up so and so on. Shredder we knew wasn't reborn this way, maybe to some extent in the 2003 version. Guess they wanted to change a few things but.

Over all not bad, at least you finally can understand Splinter's character in this series, wonder if he will try to get his boys into shape now? Would love to see Splinter notice things about his sons, like Leo being more fit for leadership while training them but guess will see.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
Vicky82
Emperor

No new episodes for 3 weeks, I guess it's because almost everyone will be at the cinema watching End Game.

Last edited by Vicky82; 04-20-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Out of all the 4Kids things to stick, I didn't think the ancient demonic Shredder who can be revived by reassembling parts of his armor would be one of them. Even the last show and the IDW series did variants on this concept. What is it about this idea that appeals to writers so?

Aside from that, I guess it was nice to human foot ninja aside from the crackhead. I guess it also makes sense for the Foot to use a shoe store as a front.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
matteso586
Stone Warrior

1) What are the odds that one of the women in Splinter's flashback is Tang Shen? She was name dropped in Hot Soup: The Game.

2) April must be crazy if she doesn't recognize the "paper thieves".

3) I wonder who's going to voice the Shredder.

4) Has Draxum considered the possibility that the Foot Clan might double cross him as soon as Shredder is brought back?

5) Still think that Lou Jitsu is a stage name.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
1) What are the odds that one of the women in Splinter's flashback is Tang Shen? She was name dropped in Hot Soup: The Game.

2) April must be crazy if she doesn't recognize the "paper thieves".

3) I wonder who's going to voice the Shredder.

4) Has Draxum considered the possibility that the Foot Clan might double cross him as soon as Shredder is brought back?

5) Still think that Lou Jitsu is a stage name.
  1. Pretty likely.
  2. Yeah, that's kind of bad in terms of continuity.
  3. I guess he's going to have a "scary" voice, so maybe Ron Perlman or Mark Hamill.
  4. It's pretty obvioius that they will, he's just going to be kids' show dumb and not realise it until it's too late.
  5. Yes, obviously it's a stage name.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Given the still frame fight scene and the sword my initial thought was Karai, but that would actually be pretty awesome to see Shen made into a fighter, rather than just an innocent bystander who dies as a result of others conflicts.

If we're talking one among the starlets/celebrity hanger-ons he was dating... oh god, please no.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

And you were saying that i will not be on this but iam coming!
Old 04-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
matteso586
Stone Warrior

I can't help but notice that on the diagram that made Splinter freak out, Shredder's hands don't look like the gauntlet in Warren Stone's possession. And didn't the Foot Clan already collect Shredder's left hand?
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
No new episodes for 3 weeks, I guess it's because almost everyone will be at the cinema watching End Game.
Operation normal aired on Nick Toons today, and airs again tomorrow if you want to record it.
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #14
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo2003 View Post
Operation normal aired on Nick Toons today, and airs again tomorrow if you want to record it.
Wait, it aired already? And on NickToons Tv of all places? Did you see it? What was it about?
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #15
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Wait, it aired already? And on NickToons Tv of all places? Did you see it? What was it about?
I know there’s a synopsis on it on Turtlepedia, but I missed it today. I have it recorded for its airing tomorrow morning. In about 6 hours I think
Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

EENT. Tv listings lied.

Saw it listed for the 11am block along with Sparring Partner, which played first. And the one that really played after it... Portal Jacked. So maybe Operation Normal really hasn't been on yet. (Which would have been kinda random for NickToons to air it itself sans ads anyhow.)

Not overly suprised though, seeing as how the listings, or at least mine, still after many months list Origami Tsunami as Original Tsunami.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-21-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
ninjawolf10
Random Punk

This episode sounds so good, but we've still not had any new episodes since Christmas in the UK
ninjawolf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjawolf10 View Post
This episode sounds so good, but we've still not had any new episodes since Christmas in the UK
Wow, that’s tough. This one was my favorite one yet.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #19
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjawolf10 View Post
We are getting new episodes starting May 4th.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #20
Powder
So tired of this place

Overall, I liked this episode, but considering it sort of introduced Shredder, let alone such a seemingly bad-ass one, I wish it had been handled a bit more seriously. I'm usually the last guy to be critical of this series 'cause I know it never marketed itself as anything other than what it is, this is the first time I've taken issue with an particular entry's tone, or choices, I guess. I think it's mostly just April that ruined it for me. She's the only character/thing in this series I can't stand. Both her level of involvement & her personality. Granted, I have very particular notions of what she should be as a character, & few more than Mirage's & 4kids' meet my approval.

No problem with the shoe store front, that was funny as heck. I like Splinter taking things into his own hands and going undercover in the clan, too. His temperament, laziness, & general vibe reminds me a lot of Mark Martin's Splinter, & I love kung-fu master tropes, too, so I love him. I know people gripe about how he's played up to seem useless, goofy, or uncaring, but that's obviously not true, nor is his coming off that way entirely unprecedented. Human Foot ninja, hell yeah, an exciting prospect, even if I was already completely sold on the origami versions. Shredder's design, from what we can see of it, looks amazing. I really like the background on it so far, too. I wasn't terribly excited for his inevitable return, as part of this series' charm is how it does its own thing, but I'm definitely eager to see where they go with that now. Mystic stuff rules.

The side-gag of the turtles dealing with that crow mutant was amusing. I don't mind them playing the background once in a while one bit, it's fun. That's another part of what I like about this show, how they're not afraid to give one particular turtle their own episode, or have the whole gang off on their own while we see Splinter's day unfold.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote