The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #121
AquaParade
Banned

I'm having a difficult time holding on to this version of Peter while trying to process all the crap he has been through. I really want to find mental peace with this, but the fact that Peter has been Spider-Man for so little time and has had his reality bent out of shape to such an extent, well, it's sort of ****ing with my perception of the character.

I'm hoping I can get this all sorted out mentally.
I like cosmic mind-bending storytelling, so why does it throw such a wrench in my mind, when it comes to Spidey? Maybe because I expect him to be more relatable? At least early on in his "career"? Perhaps, I am just having trouble trying to frame his story or character arc.
Part of me realizes I should be excited to get something fresh, that I wouldn't have expected, but I also wonder if it's stretching my stagnated and tired (?) idea of what Spider-Man should be

I can't really pinpoint why I am hung up on it, but does anyone else share these feelings? Regardless, I've got so much love for this version of Spider-Man.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #122
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'm having a difficult time holding on to this version of Peter while trying to process all the crap he has been through. I really want to find mental peace with this, but the fact that Peter has been Spider-Man for so little time and has had his reality bent out of shape to such an extent, well, it's sort of ****ing with my perception of the character.

I'm hoping I can get this all sorted out mentally.
I like cosmic mind-bending storytelling, so why does it throw such a wrench in my mind, when it comes to Spidey? Maybe because I expect him to be more relatable? At least early on in his "career"? Perhaps, I am just having trouble trying to frame his story or character arc.
Part of me realizes I should be excited to get something fresh, that I wouldn't have expected, but I also wonder if it's stretching my stagnated and tired (?) idea of what Spider-Man should be

I can't really pinpoint why I am hung up on it, but does anyone else share these feelings? Regardless, I've got so much love for this version of Spider-Man.
I completely understand and empathize with you. Characters need to be grounded some more than others. Spider-man is not really a character who deals with such cosmic/sci-fi stories. I have felt like this with the TMNT comic in the past especially recently with the over-arching pantheon storyline. Or also TMNT 2K3 season 5 with the Ninja Tribunal. Sometimes characters feel out of place within their own stories.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #123
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Spider-man is not really a character who deals with such cosmic/sci-fi stories.
Sure he has. "Secret Wars" comes to mind right away, how he gets the Venom symbiote to begin with.

Quote:
I have felt like this with the TMNT comic in the past
Nonsense. One of the biggest things I like about the TMNT is their ability to transcend genres. i.e., a bit of urban ninja stuff over here, some sorcery stuff over there, a time travel story, an adventure in space, etc.. All of it works.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #124
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nonsense. One of the biggest things I like about the TMNT is their ability to transcend genres. i.e., a bit of urban ninja stuff over here, some sorcery stuff over there, a time travel story, an adventure in space, etc.. All of it works.
To me, the Turtles in space arc in Mirage Vol 1 was probably my favorite part of the series
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #125
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I think what he meant was that it's not the setting per se, but more the SCOPE.

TMNT don't defend the universe or the galaxy or all of humanity. They just get caught up in $hit, whether it's a ninja clan blood feud, or two governments going to war in space, or palling around with a fugitive android, or some mystic $hit, or whatever.

Send the TMNT to space? Absolutely. Send the TMNT to space to fight Thanos or Galactus? That's more than likely going too far. I think it is, at any rate.

They're not superheroes.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #126
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

TMNT don't defend the universe or the galaxy or all of humanity. They just get caught up in $hit, whether it's a ninja clan blood feud, or two governments going to war in space, or palling around with a fugitive android, or some mystic $hit, or whatever.

Send the TMNT to space? Absolutely. Send the TMNT to space to fight Thanos or Galactus? That's more than likely going too far. I think it is, at any rate.

They're not superheroes.
Yeah, I was wrestling with both of their points, but I think you nailed it.

But for Spider-Man, I don't know. I think he fits well into all types of stories, but I think I am stuck on the idea that his early years should be cemented down with more grounded stories. Trying to shake that limited view of the character from my mind though.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #127
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, I was wrestling with both of their points, but I think you nailed it.

But for Spider-Man, I don't know. I think he fits well into all types of stories, but I think I am stuck on the idea that his early years should be cemented down with more grounded stories. Trying to shake that limited view of the character from my mind though.
True, but this is gonna be an interesting take to see how he reacts back to being safe on Earth after being stuck in space for a while. It's the kind of comic books madness Toby and Andrew didn't get to relate with.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #129
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Man...they are really setting up Mysterio to be "New Tony"...

I hope Peter's trust in him isn't misplaced...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #130
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Also, post-credit scenes have been revealed

Spoiler:
JK Simmons returns as J. Jonah Jameson. Spidey is labelled a menace by the Bugle

Fury and Maria Hill are revealed to be Skrulls, they're covering for the real Fury who's out in space
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #131
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Spoiler:
JK Simmons returns as J. Jonah Jameson. Spidey is labelled a menace by the Bugle

Fury and Maria Hill are revealed to be Skrulls, they're covering for the real Fury who's out in space
You're sh*tting me. Is this for real? Both of those sound AWESOME!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #132
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
You're sh*tting me. Is this for real? Both of those sound AWESOME!
I've seen it verified on various spoiler gossip sites, and multiple accounts from people on reddit and twitter, additionally

Spoiler:
Peter is outed publicly as Spider-Man in the post-credits, a final revenge reportedly from Mysterio after he's defeated
Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #133
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Spoiler:
Peter is outed publicly as Spider-Man in the post-credits, a final revenge reportedly from Mysterio after he's defeated
What? That's dumb.
Spoiler:
They really want to strip away his secret identity this early into... everything? And why bring in Jonah if everyone knows who Peter is?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #134
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
What? That's dumb.
Spoiler:
They really want to strip away his secret identity this early into... everything? And why bring in Jonah if everyone knows who Peter is?
Spoiler:
We don't know if Simmons is committed to a third one as Jonah or not, this might be his only appearance, and the idea of spending the big Jameson reveal on him exposing Peter is something that hasn't been attempted before in any Spidey medium

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-21-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #135
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yeah those sound ridiculous. I believe it when I see them...

Old 06-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #136
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well, this DOES tie in to the comics during JMS's run, where Peter publicly came out just before the Civil War rift and the whole One More Day debacle. They might be adapting that arc, though I have to say it is a bit misplaced, if so. His public outting as Spidey and siding officially with Tony on the SHRA was a big part of what caused his Aunt to get shot and his eventual deal with Mephisto to undo it all. So, not entirely implausible, but it seems a bit out of place as things stand right now in the MCU. If they really wanted to go that route with him, they should have introduced him much sooner and used his public announcement as part of what sets off the Accords and Civil War. But that's just my two cents.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #137
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Sure he has. "Secret Wars" comes to mind right away, how he gets the Venom symbiote to begin with.

Yes I know Spider-man has done cosmic quest/fights in the past, but isn't like 90% of his stories self contained to New York??? You know friendly neighborhood spider-man. I could be wrong I am not a spider-man savant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

They're not superheroes.
This.....this exactly. To me TMNT are more anti-heroes than actual heroes. They very rarely act like super-heroes and save the day for the sake of good and justice.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #138
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Also, post-credit scenes have been revealed

Spoiler:

I'd be good with both of those, especially the latter.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:46 AM   #139
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah those sound ridiculous. I believe it when I see them...
How do they sound ridiculous exactly? They fit the MCU's tendency to do things their way to a tea.

This is the same company behind Obese Surfer Thor remember. THAT was ridiculous, so par the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Well, this DOES tie in to the comics during JMS's run, where Peter publicly came out just before the Civil War rift and the whole One More Day debacle. They might be adapting that arc, though I have to say it is a bit misplaced, if so. His public outting as Spidey and siding officially with Tony on the SHRA was a big part of what caused his Aunt to get shot and his eventual deal with Mephisto to undo it all. So, not entirely implausible, but it seems a bit out of place as things stand right now in the MCU. If they really wanted to go that route with him, they should have introduced him much sooner and used his public announcement as part of what sets off the Accords and Civil War. But that's just my two cents.
I think it's better that it'd be beyond his control to be outed, many fans feel Peter doing it himself in the comics was poorly justified and went against his whole responsibility kick

Perhaps they're going to have to adapt OMD's sequel One Moment In Time, which is the company's in-universe "official" non-Mephisto explanation of how Peter had his identity restored and it involved Doctor Strange and even Reed Richards. Tony was involved in the original comic story, but obviously that's a bit impossible for the MCU right now.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-22-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #140
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Maybe ridiculous was the wrong word. They seem to specifically formulated to be EXACTLY what fans want...too good to be true.

Tags
cybercubedmilfhunter, far from sjws, make it stop, marvel's crapshoot ideas, spider-cuck, spider-man