The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #2981
CyberCubed
Overlord

So with the news from comic con that Tom/Kevin, etc. taking a bit of a break after issue 100, what does that entail exactly? Is the creative team going to remain largely the same and still share ideas and pitches together, or is there going to be a new head writer after Sophie's arc? And will you, Bobby, still remain as head editor for the forseeable future?

Obviously we know with other series sometimes when the original creative team changes some series can go downhill (although not all the time, it depends), so I'm wondering if everyone will remain largely in tact for everything issue #101 onward. I feel like IDW TMNT would lose its vision if things change too much.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #2982
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So with the news from comic con that Tom/Kevin, etc. taking a bit of a break after issue 100, what does that entail exactly? Is the creative team going to remain largely the same and still share ideas and pitches together, or is there going to be a new head writer after Sophie's arc? And will you, Bobby, still remain as head editor for the forseeable future?

Obviously we know with other series sometimes when the original creative team changes some series can go downhill (although not all the time, it depends), so I'm wondering if everyone will remain largely in tact for everything issue #101 onward. I feel like IDW TMNT would lose its vision if things change too much.
Things are still being developed and figured out but here's how it is looking: Sophie will be what I'm calling "lead creative" in 2020 (well, starting in December's #101), meaning she'll be writing and drawing the first story arc. TBD on if she continues to draw beyond that for the rest of the year, but she'll at a minimum be involved in guiding the story for the rest of the year. Tom/Kevin and I will be giving notes on outlines, making suggestions and helping to develop the big picture story as always.

That doesn't mean Tom is out of scripting either. The idea is that Tom will still script 5-6 issues a year, either as extra issues of the ongoing or in the form of a mini-series. That's TBD until Tom finishes #100 and takes a much deserved little break.

Then, when 2021 comes along, we'll likely have a new 'lead creative', ideally a writer/artist. But again, with Tom/Kevin and I contributing. We'll see. I'm struggling to see much beyond #100 at this point as that's taking up most of my Turtle day-to-day duties.

The general idea with this approach is to allow Tom and us to recharge a bit after 100 issues, and inject some new blood/ideas into the series from trusted TMNT creators, while still maintaining consistency and continuity. I'm sure the series will feel different to a degree, but it's my hope that it will be consistent enough that folks who have been with us for a while won't be put off. We don't want to make #101 a jumping off point.

If our series has a motto, it's "Change is Constant" so you're going to get some of that moving forward. But I know Sophie is as excited as I've ever seen her, and we're all excited for folks to see what we have planned for #100.

(And yep, i'm staying on as editor)
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #2983
ChosenOne
Banned

I know you probably can't give a detailed answer to this question, but while TPB solicitations and the SDCC panel have mentioned all the villains directly involved with City at War, we've yet to hear anything on Bebop and Rocksteady since they were recruited by Karai at the end of their second mini. Are they going to be a (major, minor, whatever) part of the arc? I mean, it would feel weird if we got that scene only for them to later be forgotten... Right?

(Sorry, my D&D Game of Thrones PTSD is acting up.)
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #2984
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I know you probably can't give a detailed answer to this question, but while TPB solicitations and the SDCC panel have mentioned all the villains directly involved with City at War, we've yet to hear anything on Bebop and Rocksteady since they were recruited by Karai at the end of their second mini. Are they going to be a (major, minor, whatever) part of the arc? I mean, it would feel weird if we got that scene only for them to later be forgotten... Right?

(Sorry, my D&D Game of Thrones PTSD is acting up.)
I can't really answer that question, sorry! But I will use this as an opportunity to say that someone expecting us to pick up all loose end from the past 90+issues (not counting on the side series) will be a bit disappointed. Some narrative doors we open so we have the option to go through them later if we want, but we don't always due to various circumstances.

But we're making a real effort to cover as much ground as we can and I think most will be happy! (sorry to not directly answer the question, and I want to be clear i'm not necessarily talking about Bebop and Rocksteady!)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #2985
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I can't really answer that question, sorry! But I will use this as an opportunity to say that someone expecting us to pick up all loose end from the past 90+issues (not counting on the side series) will be a bit disappointed. Some narrative doors we open so we have the option to go through them later if we want, but we don't always due to various circumstances.

But we're making a real effort to cover as much ground as we can and I think most will be happy! (sorry to not directly answer the question, and I want to be clear i'm not necessarily talking about Bebop and Rocksteady!)
Thank you anyway! So long as you don't have some random EPF goon harpoon them out of nowhere and never mention them again, only for Karai to set New York on fire in retaliation, I think we're good!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #2986
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Things are still being developed and figured out but here's how it is looking: Sophie will be what I'm calling "lead creative" in 2020 (well, starting in December's #101), meaning she'll be writing and drawing the first story arc. TBD on if she continues to draw beyond that for the rest of the year, but she'll at a minimum be involved in guiding the story for the rest of the year. Tom/Kevin and I will be giving notes on outlines, making suggestions and helping to develop the big picture story as always.

That doesn't mean Tom is out of scripting either. The idea is that Tom will still script 5-6 issues a year, either as extra issues of the ongoing or in the form of a mini-series. That's TBD until Tom finishes #100 and takes a much deserved little break.

Then, when 2021 comes along, we'll likely have a new 'lead creative', ideally a writer/artist. But again, with Tom/Kevin and I contributing. We'll see. I'm struggling to see much beyond #100 at this point as that's taking up most of my Turtle day-to-day duties.

The general idea with this approach is to allow Tom and us to recharge a bit after 100 issues, and inject some new blood/ideas into the series from trusted TMNT creators, while still maintaining consistency and continuity. I'm sure the series will feel different to a degree, but it's my hope that it will be consistent enough that folks who have been with us for a while won't be put off. We don't want to make #101 a jumping off point.

If our series has a motto, it's "Change is Constant" so you're going to get some of that moving forward. But I know Sophie is as excited as I've ever seen her, and we're all excited for folks to see what we have planned for #100.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this, Bobby. I essentially asked the same question last week, but apparently a mod deleted it or something. No idea why.

It's good to know you will be staying on as editor, and I hope to see more artwork done by Kevin, even if it is just covers. Obviously, I'm only one person, but the change has me excited, and I'll be picking up issue #101 to consider jumping on again monthly.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #2987
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks! Hope you enjoy. And yes, the plan is for Kevin to continue with covers.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #2988
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:

Thanks so much for the details on #101 and beyond!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #2989
daggio
Foot Soldier

Now with Null, Zodi, and Krisa back in the story, can we expect the Gang of Four to reappear again?
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:01 AM   #2990
Damo
Random Punk

Way back, Jennika said "before I joined the Foot, my family called me Jenny."

Was Jenny her birth-name, or Jennika? Did the Foot give her the name Jennika? Just wondering if "Jenny" was her original name, or just a nickname she stopped using in the Clan.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #2991
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post

Was Jenny her birth-name, or Jennika? Did the Foot give her the name Jennika? Just wondering if "Jenny" was her original name, or just a nickname she stopped using in the Clan.
Jenny is hardly ever a proper name, typically a nickname for Jennifer or other similar names. So probably a nickname.

And if an organisation from Japan were to give her a new name, I doubt it would be one of Finnish origin.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #2992
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Quote:

Dear Bobby, thank you very much for sharing with us this information. As I've read it for the first time yesterday, I had the thought that "this is how IDW TMNT ends" (after amazing TMNT2003 and surprisingly even better TMNT2012 - everything else, except IDW, is mediocre at best - my POV). I know that everything ends once, but IDWTMNT became a gold standard for how a comic should be - a masterpiece!

Today in the morning I've realized, that the changes you've proposed are not bad at all. Looking back at 8.3 years of the run, I thing Sophie is the best storyteller and artist of the team. I have enjoyed very much each and every one of her (fairy) tales, actually they are my most favourite chapters of TMNT lore (Leonardo micro, Turtles in Time chapter 1, Karai's Path).

Therefor if Tom/Kevin and you are going to give your input into the TMNT, I'll stay a strong follower. You team (including Sophie, Mattheus, Andy, Michael and others) are doing everything right - keep it strong!

I lve beeing a turtle!
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:40 AM   #2993
Chet
Thug

Any chance IDW could print collections of the TMNT newspaper strip? I would love to get those.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #2994
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I believe at some point someone asked me about the out-of-print TMNT IDW Collection Vol. 4... it will be back in stock sometime in August.
This is good news. I also hope that IDW will reprint all of Mirage's Tales... vol 2, though I'm still at a loss as to why they continue to colourise the B&W originals ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #2995
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggio View Post
Now with Null, Zodi, and Krisa back in the story, can we expect the Gang of Four to reappear again?
No spoilers, sorry!
Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #2996
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post

Jennika is her proper name.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #2997
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Any chance IDW could print collections of the TMNT newspaper strip? I would love to get those.
Maybe one day! Though I don't know that it's strongly on anyone's radar at this time.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #2998
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Thanks Mr Curnow for all of the info you share with us and taking the time to participate in these boards!

I'm loving the IDW series and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sophie brings to the books and how Jennika evolves into her new character.

All of the titles in my pull list are IDW titles. Anything else I read is digital only, but I still get hard copies of every TMNT and GB book that comes out. Love what you guys do!!

--Rick
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #2999
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks very much!
Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #3000
Ninjinister
無問題

I don't know if it's been asked before, but how old, approximately, is Jennika?

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz