The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I found the 1990 Golden Harvest movie today

I was at this DVD store where I spotted it. And being a big fan of the 2012 series which referenced it so much and because I saw in the cinema when it came out, I wanted to re-familiarize myself with it.

So I bought it and just finished watching it. Here's my findings.

The Negatives:
- This was one of those video to DVD transfers, as such you couldn't select chapter and there was no making of feature, which I thought was a shame, I love learning how they went to it.
- The image quality was bad as was the sound quality, this movie would benefit from a complete remaster, perhaps there already is one but I haven't found it yet.
- The plot of the Foot Clan getting their soldiers through the dragon gang (The Purple Dragons for all of us familiar with the Mirage comics and the 2003 series) wasn't really worked out all that well, WHY did Danny rebel against his father, what was going on behind closed doors that he felt he had to join that gang? It was never answered.
- The Special effects, oh boy, even with the lousy image quality, green screen was so obvious with some scenes and some of the puppets were moving so unconvincingly, I am familiar with the Fact that Jim Henson's Creature studios did all the puppets but in some scenes, for example Splinter when he's learning his master's moves, the puppets had very little in actual articulation and most of the time it looked like somebody was just moving it back and forth.
- The Fight scenes were of early Power Rangers quality, they posed too much and moved too slow to really make it look convincing and the way that Casey Jones knocked Tatsu twenty feet back by hitting him with a golf club was just ridiculous.

The Positives
- They depicted the Northampton story line accurately from the Mirage comics and little details that were referenced in the 2012 Northampton episodes made me go "Ah so that's where that came from." Yes, I saw the movie but I saw it 29 years ago, so I forgot about those details.
* Michelangelo humming "Old McDonald"
* The way April does drawings of the Turtles during their stay and down to the way she goes "And then there's Casey Jones." Mae Whitman doing the dialog in "it came from the woods" and going "And then there's me April O'Neil." Whitman NAILED the way that Judith Hoag spoke the original line, the articulation is just DEAD ON.
* The Lame insult throwing scene when Donnie and Casey (Raph and Casey in the Mirage comic) are fixing up that old truck in the barn.
* The Blue fire and spiritual connecting with Splinter, that is such a glorious scene.
- I'm a guitarist, when they showed Danny going back to the Dragons' hide out, he walks past a Box which says "Crate" which is a nineties Amplifier brand, I owned one.

- But also the fight of Splinter and Shredder, I was sitting on the edge of my seat, just as I was when at 14 I saw the movie in the cinema.
- Casey going "Oops" when starting up that garbage truck when Shredder fell in. When I saw the 2012 episode "requiem" and they did that scene I was yelling like a school girl, because I knew that scene so well.

But in general I watched it with a big smile on my face, sure the special effects were bad and the fighting was terrible, who cares, that's part of its charm. I love those Asian movies where the production is really ragged: "Azumi" for example is one of my absolute favorites, even though you can so obviously see when cables were used to hoist actors into the air during a fight scene. Heck "Big trouble in little China" is on my list for that very reason.

It was a trip down memory lane and a pleasant one.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Should watch it again on a nice Blu-ray release.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
- The plot of the Foot Clan getting their soldiers through the dragon gang (The Purple Dragons for all of us familiar with the Mirage comics and the 2003 series) wasn't really worked out all that well, WHY did Danny rebel against his father, what was going on behind closed doors that he felt he had to join that gang?
Wait when was the gang called "The Dragon Gang"? I don't remember them being referred to as anything in the film.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Wait when was the gang called "The Dragon Gang"? I don't remember them being referred to as anything in the film.
This was never a thing in the movie. This entire post honestly confuses me.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
They had bandanas with Dragons and I heard them say "Dragons" a couple of times.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It’s been a while since I saw the movie, but the only instance I recall where the word Dragon was mentioned was then Shredder initiated new Foot members and he refers to their outfit as the "dragon dogi"

The kanji the foot use translate to demon
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The original New Line Cinema Foot Clan is in practise a combination of the Foot Clan (Japanese martial arts, ninjutsu) and the Purple Dragons (street gang style).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
It’s been a while since I saw the movie, but the only instance I recall where the word Dragon was mentioned was then Shredder initiated new Foot members and he refers to their outfit as the "dragon dogi"

Yeah, that's what I remember.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

I'm actually happy with those 'bad special effects'.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #10
Musashi
Foot Soldier

I find it difficult to be critical - in the true sense of the word - when it comes to this movie. Also the sequels - I know the faults, I just don't mind them. I second the recommendation above - The Blu-rays of the 90s movies are well worth owning.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I find it difficult to be critical - in the true sense of the word - when it comes to this movie. Also the sequels - I know the faults, I just don't mind them. I second the recommendation above - The Blu-rays of the 90s movies are well worth owning.
100% this.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
- The Special effects, oh boy, even with the lousy image quality, green screen was so obvious with some scenes and some of the puppets were moving so unconvincingly...
There wasn't any green screen work in TMNT 90.

Follow Andrew NDB's advice and seek out a Blu-Ray.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
There wasn't any green screen work in TMNT 90.
I mean would they have even used green screen for a movie like this back then?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm not sure green screens were already a thing in 1989. As far as I know they only use matte painting in the rooftop scene to show the New York skyline in the distance.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I'm not sure green screens were already a thing in 1989. As far as I know they only use matte painting in the rooftop scene to show the New York skyline in the distance.
Blue screen was the norm at the time, but the process had been around since at least 1940.

The painting you're referring to is more of background painting. Matte paintings were composited in post, background paintings are on location, photographed in-camera.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

"Only effort, discipline, loyalty earn the right to wear the dragon doji!"

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Me too... what is relevant about this? From what I can guess, is that the OP basically found an old DVD copy of the first TMNT movie.

I have this movie on VHS, DVD and Blu Ray. There isn't anything special about any of those formats that I can recall.....
I'm not being a smart ass, but I just don't get it.

What am I missing?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #18
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

OP is from the Netherlands, so English could be a second/third language.

OP found a TMNT 90 DVD, rewatched the movie after not seeing it for a while, and posted their thoughts. I disagree with their thoughts on the creature FX.

I can see where they're coming from on the Purple Dragon/Foot Clan thing. The young punker kids are reminiscent of the Purple Dragon members.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
OP is from the Netherlands, so English could be a second/third language.

OP found a TMNT 90 DVD, rewatched the movie after not seeing it for a while, and posted their thoughts. I disagree with their thoughts on the creature FX.

I can see where they're coming from on the Purple Dragon/Foot Clan thing. The young punker kids are reminiscent of the Purple Dragon members.
OHhhhh now I understand. Hence the "Mae Whitman" comment, whom I now assume is the netherlands actress who did their voicedub for April.

Got it. Cool thread.

Thank you.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #20
Powder
So tired of this place

Mae Whitman voiced April in the 2012 CGI show, which often made reference to this film.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote