The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #41
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yeah my children and I felt disappointed when we started season 6 too but we still watched it through.
Did you guys like season 5? I ask cause that was unpopular with some. I mean I wouldn't like the TMNT to be magical like that for the whole version but this was just an arc and the 'magic' came from somewhere else rather than they were just magic, I liked the arc.
Yes...we enjoyed season 5 enough. The mystic stuff is a little odd, but still it was an enjoyable season. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to say the same about Fast Forward though!!

One thing I did like about it was the fact that they introduced a "real" Shredder/Saki instead of him just being an utrom. I knew before watching the show that Shredder was an utrom (just by reading about the show over the years). I didn't however know that they eventually brought in a real Saki, so that was a nice surprise.

Hopefully, season 7 will be better than season 6. I know it still uses the uglier animation style, but I think having them back in their own time should be more enjoyable than the future stuff.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #42
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
Yes...we enjoyed season 5 enough. The mystic stuff is a little odd, but still it was an enjoyable season. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to say the same about Fast Forward though!!

One thing I did like about it was the fact that they introduced a "real" Shredder/Saki instead of him just being an utrom. I knew before watching the show that Shredder was an utrom (just by reading about the show over the years). I didn't however know that they eventually brought in a real Saki, so that was a nice surprise.

Hopefully, season 7 will be better than season 6. I know it still uses the uglier animation style, but I think having them back in their own time should be more enjoyable than the future stuff.
Yeah although they explored and interesting angle, for me Shredder is Saki the human, although the origin was still different I liked that he had existed to start.

As for 7, I too was waiting for them to return to their time, I think opinions are mixed with Back the Sewer as with FFW, some like neither, some like one and not the other. (wonder if there has been a preference poll previously) I didn't like the change in animation either, the face shaping etc.
In Back the Sewer there are a few re-designs, April being one and the TMNT have visible eyes. You may know that already. I liked that they were back but still found the first 5 to be the best part of the series.

Last edited by newfan; 08-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #43
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah although they explored and interesting angle, for me Shredder is Saki the human, although the origin was still different I liked that he had existed to start.

As for 7, I too was waiting for them to return to their time, I think opinions are mixed with Back the Sewer as with FFW, some like neither, some like one and not the other. (wonder if there has been a preference poll previously) I didn't like the change in animation either, the face shaping etc.
In Back the Sewer there are a few re-designs, April being one and the TMNT have visible eyes. You may know that already. I liked that they were back but still found the first 5 to be the best part of the series.
I remember reading somewhere, they had a re-design in the last season because the show was going to be cancelled and made to be based on the 2007 CGI movie, but instead re tooled the current show.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)

Last edited by TheBlueTurtle1; 08-07-2019 at 06:16 AM.
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #44
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah my children and I felt disappointed when we started season 6 too but we still watched it through.
Did you guys like season 5? I ask cause that was unpopular with some. I mean I wouldn't like the TMNT to be magical like that for the whole version but this was just an arc and the 'magic' came from somewhere else rather than they were just magic, I liked the arc.
We did enjoy Season 5. We finished Season 6..I wasn't a fan, my 7 year old liked it ok. Now in Season 7....I'm not a fan of TRON turtles or Cyber Shredder. The change in art style was a little jarring at first but I don't mind it.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #45
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

so where can we watch this show now? seems to have been taken off youtube

such a bummer as this is the best cartoon of em all
Old 11-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #46
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I been watching the show on Pluto and it MOSTLY holds up, emphasis on MOSTLY. So one of the things I love about this show is how diverse the episode are in terms of themes one of the reasons why I didn't like 2k12 is because it was mostly about mutants like every other episode is mutant with a horror movie homage(Rise also has this problem too don't get me wrong). Episodes range from the Foot, Mutants, Magic, Aliens, Lovecraft horrors, Superheroes, Fantasy(Heck i just watched an episode where the turtles helped a bunch of winged people) and etc. This show was basically a box of chocolates you have no idea what you are going to get next.

Another thing is the pacing which is almost ATLA level everything moves in an organic pace, plot points feel as long and short as they have to be and I also love how they got back to certain plot points take example the Tricorton arc which the 1st phase ended in the 5th episode of season 2 and concluded its 2nd phase in the 5th episode of season 3. They could have given us 10 episodes of nothing but Turtles in space but I do enjoy how they sort of spaced it out

The third is the evolution of the main antagonists one of the things I was disappointed about the villains in 2k12 is that they either got worse or stay stagnate. Not in the case with 2k3 where numerous of antagonist change and evolve, its almost amazing how in the span of the seasons characters change factions and allegiences I mean look at Baxter the dude worked for The Foot, Mob, Himself and Bishop or Hun who went from the Shredder's right hand man to his whipping boy to turning the Purple Dragons into a well trained private army.

Despite me hyping this incarnation it does have some problems, its tend to be called the 4kids version and man the voice acting is kinda bad, there are some good performances sure but there are a lot of instances of over acting and characters acting too melodramatic. The animation while not bad is sort of on the bland side and if I would compare it to 2k12 and Rise its definitely the worse out of the three. Hits feel weightless, there isn't a lot of interesting choreography(Except the Bishop fight) or camera movement.

Still though after all these years this show is still a solid 8 for me.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #47
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Despite me hyping this incarnation it does have some problems, its tend to be called the 4kids version and man the voice acting is kinda bad, there are some good performances sure but there are a lot of instances of over acting and characters acting too melodramatic. The animation while not bad is sort of on the bland side and if I would compare it to 2k12 and Rise its definitely the worse out of the three. Hits feel weightless, there isn't a lot of interesting choreography(Except the Bishop fight) or camera movement.
Fun fact. Susan Blu, who was the dialogue director for the 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon, was the casting director for the 4Kids 2003 cartoon. You can tell the voice actors were encouraged to show more diversity in range compared to their anime dubs. Some really amazing people who worked on this cartoon also worked on Batman The Animated Series and Gargoyles, and it definitely shows. There is a great article that talks about it more. https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...part-1-review/
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #48
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Thanks for some fun facts I honestly did not know!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #49
ABrown
Banned

Turned on Pluto TV today and the City at War episodes were on. Man watching this show never gets old.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #50
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Despite me hyping this incarnation it does have some problems, its tend to be called the 4kids version and man the voice acting is kinda bad, there are some good performances sure but there are a lot of instances of over acting and characters acting too melodramatic.
I first saw the show after starting with the 2012 version, and I did find the voice acting to be the weakest link of the episodes I saw. Wouldn't say it was a deal breaker (although I think it was one more reason I was never able to get into 2k3), but I don't think any of the other cartoons ever suffered from this problem.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #51
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I haven't watched it in years but I do plan to. My favorite set of episodes are the ones involving the battle nexus (yaaaas Usagi yaaaas). I only have good memories of this cartoon.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #52
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Def do not think the voice acting is weak in this series. I feel as though it is some of the strongest and makes the series better
Old 11-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #53
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
Def do not think the voice acting is weak in this series. I feel as though it is some of the strongest and makes the series better
You and I are very different people.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #54
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Despite me hyping this incarnation it does have some problems, its tend to be called the 4kids version and man the voice acting is kinda bad, there are some good performances sure but there are a lot of instances of over acting and characters acting too melodramatic.
Agreed, though I think the good outweighs the bad. The acting is at least better than in 4Kids anime dubs such as Yugioh.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #55
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You and I are very different people.
I suppose so, but I really enjoy the voice acting.
not sure what areas you think are weak. but to each their own mate
Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #56
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
I suppose so, but I really enjoy the voice acting.
not sure what areas you think are weak. but to each their own mate
IMHO, the lack of range in the voice acting was a problem. To me, it sounded like the characters spoke at a very specific pitch with little inflection. Raph and Mikey were esp. big offenders, IMHO.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but that's what it sounded like to me. (Bear in mind I was introduced to TMNT through the 2012 show, so I kinda compare everything to that.)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #57
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
IMHO, the lack of range in the voice acting was a problem. To me, it sounded like the characters spoke at a very specific pitch with little inflection. Raph and Mikey were esp. big offenders, IMHO.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but that's what it sounded like to me. (Bear in mind I was introduced to TMNT through the 2012 show, so I kinda compare everything to that.)
Oh my god Mikey was definitely the weakest of the four, something about his scratchy voice is just nails on the chalkboard. The worst character for voice acting however goes to Karai whose was pretty much everything wrong with the voice acting in the 2k3 series. She was melodramatic yet emotionless , her accent was cringe, and her evil laugh was god awful.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:49 AM   #58
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

That's just good old 4kids charm. But honestly while I do acknowledge Karai's terribad accent, I really think the voice acting was overall decent. Especially considering....the other stuff that was being dubbed by 4kids at the time. It's a Saturday morning cartoon though so its not like my expectations were immense.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 12-03-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #59
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
That's just good old 4kids charm. But honestly while I do acknowledge Karai's terribad accent, I really think the voice acting was overall decent. Especially considering....the other stuff that was being dubbed by 4kids at the time. It's a Saturday morning cartoon though so its not like my expectations were immense.
True. The acting did have a charm to it even at its worst to make it enjoyable.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #60
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I think most of the voice acting was great. I guess I can kind of agree that Karai was a weaker character in terms of range, but I think that was done with intent.
Mikey ? come on weak? are you serious. He was the epitome of what the character should be, it was an homage to the Fred wolf character
I loved it
raph came across as I feel he would in the Mirage comics