The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Batman-The Adventure Continues (The DCAU Returns To Comics)

Quote:
EW has exclusively learned that DC Comics is launching a new six-issue miniseries called Batman: The Adventures Continue in April. Set in the world of the beloved show, the digital-first series is written by the show’s producers Paul Dini and Alan Burnett and illustrated by Ty Templeton, who worked on the show’s old tie-in comic series Batman Adventures.

For many people, the Emmy-award winning Batman: The Animated Series is the definitive adaptation of the Dark Knight. Over the course of 85 episodes, Dini, Burnett, and Bruce Timm produced mature and emotional stories that not only streamlined the Caped Crusader’s mythology but also introduced new elements into it that eventually made their way to the pages of DC Comics, like Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya, who are both featured in the new live-action film Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Not only that, but the show also birthed several movies, a popular video game franchise (the Arkham Asylum games), and an entire shared universe that included shows like Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and several more.

Batman: The Adventures Continue is part of an initiative to introduce new characters into DC Collectibles’ Batman: The Animated Series line of toys, with Templeton designing these new additions in Timm’s style. So, the comic will feature many familiar faces from the DC Animated Universe like Superman and Lex Luthor and some that never appeared in that world until now, like Jason Todd.

“We’d gone from Dick Grayson to Tim Drake, and we had left out Jason. What we’re doing with this is looking at this as a chance to go back and actually acknowledge that was a part of the animated Batman’s history,” Dini tells EW. “For the first time, you’re going to see that story and you’re going to see what happened in that relationship. So, it’s our chance to not only to do Jason Todd but also the Red Hood. There are other characters like Azrael, who was popular in the comics around [the time of the show], and Deathstroke, who we never used in the animated series.”

Templeton adds: “It’s fun that it doesn’t feel like we have to deal with the 15 year gap since we told stories with these characters. We can just feel like we just stepped into these things yesterday, because the shows and comics are always out there. They never go away. I didn’t want it to feel like there’s a big gap and Batman was old and Tim was in his 30’s or anything like that. I’m really happy it just feels like the next day.” (To clarify even further, the comic takes place before the traumatic flashback events in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker).

In the first issue, Batman and Bruce Wayne are dealing with two mysteries. First, a giant robot breaks into Wayne Enterprises and steals an entire laboratory. Second, there’s also Lex Luthor’s mysterious return Gotham City.

“We’re kicking off with the Bruce-Lex relationship in a semi sequel of [the Batman and Superman crossover] ‘World’s Finest’ because the events of that are touched on. Where did that leave Bruce and Lex after they were busted by Batman and Superman? It’s interesting to see the little dueling that goes on between them,” says Dini.

The first issue also introduces a mystery for the reader: “Who is the mysterious character in the shadows observing all of this?” says Templeton. Dini adds, “There’s a stranger in town who has staked out the Batman family, who knows them very well, and is watching them from a distance with a mixture of amusement and deep hatred. That’s gonna be a challenge and concern for them at some point. The guy is so good that even though Batman and the others get glimpses of him, they have no idea who he is or what he wants, and that’s a mystery for them to solve.”

Looking ahead, Dini also offers up a tease for the “intense” Azrael storyline: “[He comes] to Gotham on a mission of death to recover something that’s been stolen from the Order of St. Dumas and that brings him into conflict with Batman. Batman has to keep him murdering members of the Gotham underworld as they try to put together this mystery of who took it and why. I think it’s one of the coolest reveals we’ve done and it makes perfect sense given the lore of our series. That’s one of the issues I’m most jazzed about.”

The legacy of Batman: The Animated Series continues to live on today elsewhere to. In addition to Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya’s appearance in Birds of Prey, Tom King’s forthcoming Batman/Catwoman comic will introduce Andrea Beaumont, who was created for the Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm film, into the main DC Comics universe. The continued relevance of some of the characters he helped created keeps Dini inspired.

“It gives me a feeling of pride and satisfaction to know there are certain elements I introduced to the world that have gone on to become iconic. I guess I feel the same way that Bill Finger, Denny O’Neil, or Jerry Robinson felt when they would introduced a character that would click and it would go on to have this history. As far as the characters themselves go, I always get a little bit of a secret smile on my face when I see somebody cosplaying as Harley Quinn or all the attention paid to her. I really, really love the movie. I love Margot Robbie’s version of her. It’s almost like, ‘Oh, I knew her way back when and see she’s still working,'” says Dini. “On a personal level, it just makes me more determined like, ‘Alright, now the next time I’m working on is going to be just as big,’ So it’s very encouraging for me as a creator to get some positive feedback and keep going.”

Batman: The Adventure Continues — which features a cover by Dave Johnson and a variant cover by Dan Mora — hits shelves May 6, 2020. Digital-first chapters will be released in April.
https://ew.com/books/2020/02/13/batm...-ty-templeton/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-05-2020 at 11:08 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eh. We need a cartoon instead.

You know it was always very odd to me the DCAU was never revived after all these years. Yeah we got stuff that could "sorta" fit into the DCAU like that Harley Quinn DTV they made a few years back, but nothing truly official. You'd think with all the revivals lately that B:TAS would get a new season (or rather a second season of TNBA with Tim Drake/Nightwing/Batgirl, etc), but I guess not.

TNBA was only 24 episodes, I always felt it needed at least a 52 episode run. Would be nice if we get a second season of it with another 26 episodes someday.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
2K3
Foot Soldier

I'm so happy about this; not only do we get to expand the stage of TNBA (underrated gem in the DCAU), but we get to see characters that were either off-limits or never got to see the light of day.

And, the fact the Dini and Burnett are writing makes me really happy (best writers of the DCAU; shame good ole' McDuffie passed away, would have loved to see him contribute. No offence to Timm, but I'm glad he's staying away from this; wasn't a fan of his Batman/Batgirl shipping, and the animated Batman/Harley Quinn film left a lot to be desired)
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

I really don't want to sound like I'm raining on the parade, but as someone who loves both comics and B:TAS, I really don't care about this. It may be great in it's own right, but it can't capture everything I love about the show itself - the music, the voice acting, the animation. I'm not sure I really see the point of doing this, as opposed to any other "Batman" comic.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Kind of like how animated movies aren't "real" movies to me... comic book continuations of TV shows (Buffy season 8+, Star Trek, etc.) don't really register for me. Plus if the Batman: Animated Series comics couldn't sell at the height of the cartoon, what makes anyone think they will now?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Kind of like how animated movies aren't "real" movies to me
I'm not entirely sure, but I think there might be some academic kind of conversation to be had about how - from within the film industry - things are defined as "features", "feature films", "movie", etc.

I know that's not your point but now I wish I knew more about that sort of movie making lingo because I think that validates some of this a bit. Like, it could be that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a legit "feature film" whereas something like Superman/Batman: Pubilc Enemies is a "movie".

I just made that up to make the point, but I'd be curious to know what's true and why.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Sign me up! I love the DCAU. I'm a total junkie for this stuff. I loved Dini and Timm's stuff in Batman Black and White. I'm glad we're getting more.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

It’s not real unless it’s adapted to movie form or a short mini series.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It’s not real unless it’s adapted to movie form or a short mini series.
The Batman: Harley Quinn Timmverse movie. Canon or not canon?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The Batman: Harley Quinn Timmverse movie. Canon or not canon?
It's a tricky one that...Harley's left The Joker and is an ally in that one, but is back with him prior to the Beyond movie torturing Tim and willingly going along with brainwashing him all to have a child of her own. Bit jarring,
Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #11
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It's a tricky one that...Harley's left The Joker and is an ally in that one, but is back with him prior to the Beyond movie torturing Tim and willingly going along with brainwashing him all to have a child of her own. Bit jarring,
Who was paying attention to the plot of that movie, all I really remember about that movie was the Harley panty booty shot lol.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Harley’s terrible voice in the movie ruined it.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
2K3
Foot Soldier

Pretty much around the halfway point of the series and so far:

1) Loving the serialized format of the story: Jason's observations, the fallout of the Batman/ Luthor showdown.
2) Seeing the evolving story of Batman's Rogues (Mad Hatter's new "Wonderland Gang", Clayface mocking Robin's connection to Annie, and Firefly's link to Kobra)
3) The New versions of Slade Wilson/ Deathstroke and Jean-Paul Valley/ Azrael are impressive in both design and personality
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
sdp
-

Didn't they also release a Batman Beyond comic recently that was in the DCAU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Eh. We need a cartoon instead.

You know it was always very odd to me the DCAU was never revived after all these years. Yeah we got stuff that could "sorta" fit into the DCAU like that Harley Quinn DTV they made a few years back, but nothing truly official. You'd think with all the revivals lately that B:TAS would get a new season (or rather a second season of TNBA with Tim Drake/Nightwing/Batgirl, etc), but I guess not.

I'm also surprised with how popular revivals of cult and well remembered shows/cartoons that B:TAS the granddaddy of them all hasn't. Many would get a crappy HBO Max or DC subscription for that alone.

But yeah what surprises me more is that after like 15 years of animated movie releases, not even a DCU animated movie, Harley Quinn is clearly DCAU but wasn't "official" not even sure why, so they didn't feel the pressure? I'ts alright but nothing special, perhaps it's pressure that they can't match that level? After all most movies are produced by Bruce Timm of BTAS and none have matched BTAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Kind of like how animated movies aren't "real" movies to me... comic book continuations of TV shows (Buffy season 8+, Star Trek, etc.) don't really register for me.
I mean, while I might consider them what would've happened if they're good, at the end of the day you know it doesn't have the same "canon" status as a real continuation would, even if the season X comic might be better than a real life season. But yeah, I agree. I do like to read them just for kicks though, better than nothing.

Quote:
Plus if the Batman: Animated Series comics couldn't sell at the height of the cartoon, what makes anyone think they will now?
Disagree, the batman adventure comics original run sold very decently and lasted longer than most comics. That's the original run, I mean it lasted as long as the cartoon did.

Then again it got a revival in the 2000's during the JLU era which was fantastic however at the time they were considered as comics for "kids" since they weren't actual main DC comics and sales were good and it was only cancelled to not have two "kid" Batman comics and they wanted a comic for The Batman, the new cartoon, not one for the old cartoon that hadn't had new episodes since the 90s.

Now that "geek culture" is cool and everyone in this new "cool" geek culture idolizes B:TAS when before it was only animation geeks and a few fans, so yeah the comic can sell as decent as well comics can sell now.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I love the classic Batman Adventures comics (and all the successive tie-in comics based off the DCAU). Many of those issues are par excellence in terms of self-contained story-telling with excellent artwork that fits the tone and style of the source material.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:10 AM   #16
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Some of Timm's work in Batman Black and White was really fun. While I understand the hang-up of the comic format vs. toon, I'm not so much a stickler for medium as I am for good story.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Some of Timm's work in Batman Black and White was really fun. While I understand the hang-up of the comic format vs. toon, I'm not so much a stickler for medium as I am for good story.
I think the main reason comics 'don't count' is because if we ever do some new Batman Animated Series cartoon is ever made, it has no real obligation to acknowledge the comic (nor won't it, most likely), so the comics end up being kind of a waste of time in the end.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
sdp
-

Exactly, but you can still enjoy them. The 90s Batman adventures comic before S:TAS and the DCAU was formed were popular enough that we got the adventures in DC Universe which was a DC universe set in the B:TAS world, but it was a different more B:TAS inspired DC universe and it was cool. The JLU Adventures comic featured heroes in a different way than how JLU eventually introduced them in other comics but it was still cool to see them before and that we got to see some heroes on JLU comic that never were on the JLU show.

Like any expanded universe it's "canon" until proven otherwise and it's cool to see more adventures in the universes we like despite knowing they could be contradicted.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #19
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Batman: The Adventures Continue#8

Spoiler:
Oof, Jean Paul roughs up Penguin and learns that his client needed the Shall to revive a recently departed person...Alfred informs Bruce that there's been a recent grave robbing. Jean Paul tracks down Penguin's client's base address and finds the corpse in question...it's Nora Fries. Victor confronts Jean Paul and we learn Nora's body had finally rejected the treatments that had cured her. Freeze puts Jean Paul on ice but Bruce arrives in time and defeats Victor and thaws out Jean Paul. Afterwards Bruce and Jean Paul light a candle in Nora's honour and patch up. Meantime we find Jason Todd is at an amusement park keeping tabs on The Joker
Old 07-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

AFAIK, in Batman Beyond, Freeze saved his wife, but his body was destroyed.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote