The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #21
pferreira
Foot Elite

I don't think I ever had any although there was confusion at the time. I wondered how everybody knew Baxter was a fly in Bye, Bye, Fly but that ended up being down to the BBC showing the episodes out of order by not showing Return of the Fly first. To this day I still get events of Return of the Technodrome and The Big Break In mixed up, especially the shrinking part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That it was any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It wasn't any of those since I've never cared about any tmnt toys at all.
I mean I had the main four but I was never crazy for a toy collection. In my opinion TMNT never relied exclusively on toys to impress me which is why I never got into Transformers.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
Lazy_BerZerker
Mouser

I thought when the turtles met Usagi Yojimbo this samurai Rabbit refused to fight with the foot clan robots, afraid he would harm living creatures, so he got beaten up a little, but only until when the turtles showed him they were robots (by destroying one), he then easily destroyed all of them.
Lazy_BerZerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #23
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_BerZerker View Post
I thought when the turtles met Usagi Yojimbo this samurai Rabbit refused to fight with the foot clan robots, afraid he would harm living creatures, so he got beaten up a little, but only until when the turtles showed him they were robots (by destroying one), he then easily destroyed all of them.
Perhaps you got that mixed up with the Leonardo is missing episode?

It also involved creatures (humanoid dinosaurs in this case) who opposed violence but started happily destroying foot soldiers when they found out that they were robots.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

That it was more action packed and had more fighting that it really did. Like when I was watching the live action 90's movies, I was thinking more like 'whoa, they're kicking ass just like the cartoon' instead of 'wow, they actually fight in the movie!'

Looking back, even with holding the weapons back in the sequel, I'm glad they still allowed the turtles to do flips and kicks and whatnot and not resort to busting fire hydrants and throwing manhole covers and whatever.

You don't think about these things as kids, but sewer covers are heavy as **** and in the cartoon even April could move one. Then the video games not only have characters throw them at you as if they were weightless, you could literally smack em with your weapon and send them flying back. Silly times.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #25
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Then the video games not only have characters throw them at you as if they were weightless, you could literally smack em with your weapon and send them flying back. Silly times.
I hate to nitpick but the video games were based on the FW cartoon series. Sorry, I'll go now...
Old 03-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #26
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I remembered season 2 being better than it actually was. Tried rewatching seasons 1+2 again on dvd a few years ago and couldn’t get through 2. I guess nostalgia was clouding my judgment the first time I rewatched it. “The Mean Machines” is still one of my favourite episodes, though.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I remembered season 2 being better than it actually was. Tried rewatching seasons 1+2 again on dvd a few years ago and couldn’t get through 2. I guess nostalgia was clouding my judgment the first time I rewatched it. “The Mean Machines” is still one of my favourite episodes, though.
Any particular reasons it's worse than you remember? Is it the drop in animation quality?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #28
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I personally prefer seasons 1 and 3 overall.

Seasons 1 is much more action packed and tight, while season 3 has some of the most funny and memorable episodes of the series.

Season 2 is one of the "big 3" great seasons of the original cartoon in my opinion before it went downhill in season 4, but its the weakest of the first three because it was more transitional and middle of the road.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Season 1, I can pretty much watch anytime, but most of the rest of the series, I have to be in the mood for.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Any particular reasons it's worse than you remember? Is it the drop in animation quality?
It’s not the drop in animation quality. I still love Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and that cartoon had atrocious animation at times. Just found some of the writing too kiddish. Or maybe I wasn’t in the right mood for it.

Quote:
I personally prefer seasons 1 and 3 overall.

Seasons 1 is much more action packed and tight, while season 3 has some of the most funny and memorable episodes of the series.

Season 2 is one of the "big 3" great seasons of the original cartoon in my opinion before it went downhill in season 4, but its the weakest of the first three because it was more transitional and middle of the road.
Agree about seasons 1 and 3.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-10-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #31
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Season 2 in my opinion was awesome. It was one of the shorter seasons and had some good story arcs. The main problem with Season 3 is that at 47 episodes there was more space to mess up and as a result that did indeed happen. This is also where the series became much more comedic in tone which is a shame. Having said that Season 3 still had a number of great episodes. Season 4 had its moments but yeah it was underwhelming in places like Season 5 and 6.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

I get fuzzy, was Season 2 the one with the Eye Of Sarnath stuff or whatever? That was pretty good.

I vividly remember really digging that kind of storytelling and quickly being disappointed that the show stopped being like that before very long.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #33
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I keep remembering this episode when Shredder's nephew moved in and declared himself prince of Dimension X. Shredder couldn't stand it. It was hilarious.

Can't find it for the life of me.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題

I swear to everything that Baxter's computer companion was called "Z" but I re-watched the episodes years later and I never heard it stated. The official website's synopsis called him Z, though, so I guess it was some sort of official name? But how did I remember it before reading it if it never happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Always had weird memories of a mutated car creature, but that was never in the original cartoon. Instead it's from the UK TMNT Adventures comics based on the cartoon. I don't even know how I saw those as they didn't come out in the U.S>
Are you thinking of Motorhead? Because that comic was released in the U.S.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:19 AM   #35
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I keep remembering this episode when Shredder's nephew moved in and declared himself prince of Dimension X. Shredder couldn't stand it. It was hilarious.

Could it possibly be the episode with Vernon's nephew?

The kid seriously almost destroyed planet earth from what I remember.

Your memory also sounds similar to the episode Shredder's mom, in which Shredder couldn't stand his mom one bit.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 03-10-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #36
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I get fuzzy, was Season 2 the one with the Eye Of Sarnath stuff or whatever? That was pretty good.

I vividly remember really digging that kind of storytelling and quickly being disappointed that the show stopped being like that before very long.
I agree about the Eye of Sarnath.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #37
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post

Quote:
Could it possibly be the episode with Vernon's nephew?

The kid seriously almost destroyed planet earth from what I remember.

Your memory also sounds similar to the episode Shredder's mom, in which Shredder couldn't stand his mom one bit.
Definitely sounds like a memory conflation of "Shredder's Mom" with "Too Hot to Handle," with perhaps a little bit of "My Brother, the Bad Guy."

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #38
Galactus
Foot Elite

Season 2 felt like a big move to a more generic Saturday Morning kids action cartoon. The Eye of Sarnath 'arc' was an excuse blow through every plot that every other 80s toon did. The shrinking episode, killer plants, machines revolt and of course the imaginary things come to life episode.

It's not bad or anything but I've always had the suspicion that they had originally planned the whole thing to be four episodes. Baxter off screen accidentally throws one of the eyes out, the appalling animation of Mean Machines at times is appalling that I can't help but think that was a rush job tacked on to make it a five episode arc.

The second half to me has some great episodes. Enter The Fly, Splinter No More, Return of the Technodrome. I'd even include Invasion of the Punk Even the others are actually pretty good but not great. I also like that it kept the smidgen of seriousness from the first season and there's a certain sense of foreboding with the Shredder upping the ante until the Technodrome returns.

Season 3 is all over the place. The show overall could be said to be five or more different shows in one, well season 3 basically three shows in one season.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #39
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I actually watched Return of the Shredder, New York's Shiniest, Splinter No More, and Invasion of the Punk Frogs this morning just due to being in the mood for the show, which is often. But as Galactus said, you really start to see the shift to a Saturday morning cartoon. You really have to be in a 80s/90s mood to watch this cartoon, otherwise it really shows it's age.

I don't know if this counts as false memory of this series, after this and the Next Mutation have been off the air and before the 2003 series came, the only times I got my turtles fix during those times were the movies. Due to this, I had completely forgotten that Raphael in this show was more of a wiseguy who loved joking and breaking the fourth-wall. You could say the movies and Archie comics have completely changed or wiped out my perception of Raphael. I forgot how funny Raphael was in the show, even though some of his jokes fall flat as an adult. I can't recall the other turtles ever taking a shot at him besides Don twice in Raphael Knocks 'em Dead and the one episode in the beginning where he dressed as a pirate.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is Krang being in charge of Shredder. As a kid, I always thought they were either both in charge or Shredder was the head honcho since he's considered the main villain.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Always struck me how the Toxic Crusaders followed the same formula. Both Shredder and Killemoff were the 'main villain' but it's revealed they either rely on or answer to someone else. Both have 5 part intro seasons and the final ends in a way that now the main villain will be reduced to following orders from the other character.

Now they get a full series and the main villain is now stuck in the bitch role, taking orders and being bitched out every time they fail.

Finding out the turtles were based on a comic made it weird in retrospect. Can you imagine them making a cartoon where Doctor Doom answers to someone else and then gets bitched at for failing all the time?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote