The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This is a good thread, but there has been plenty of TMNT that has had it's own identity but also been well received by the fanbase. The '00 show, TMNT '12 are perfect examples that had their own identity even if they paid homage or crossed over with Fred Wolf.

And I know I'm in the minority on this part, but I thought that the TMNT CGI cartoon/movie thingy was pretty good.

And there was enough reinvention in those three examples that FW didn't choke them out. I think the real problem is that many of the other examples are truly poor takes on the franchise. Rise, the Bay flicks.... not good by any comparison.
Agreed. To be fair, it can be hard for people used to one version to get into a new version of something. It took me a while to get into the 2003 series, for example.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:17 AM   #22
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Why are you still fixated on the idea that he favors IDW when that literally has never been stated? Watching you desperately try & throw stones at what you assume is his favorite iteration is both petty & sad. Why are you posting on Tuesday? Did you sneak into the ward's rec-room?
Reported!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #23
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
We obviously don't need Donatello to have an oversized head, and goggles, and thick glasses, and wrist gadgets, and a tech staff, and some proton pack all at the same just to tell him apart from his brothers. At that point, there's almost reason for the purple mask anymore, other than tradition I guess.
Nice thought, never seen it from this point of view.
Let's add Rise of TMNT Donatello to the exaggerated designs.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Reported!
Perhaps this simply isn't the place for you. Ever consider that?

If every single person you meet is an asshole, it's usually you yourself who's in the wrong. Food for thought.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #25
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I love the old series. I was watching Turtle Tracks yesterday. It was goofy and fun in that 80's-90's SatAM way.

I also caught a clip of Shredder attacking Rat King and it was pretty funny.

I dunno. I think the FW series should be respected for what it is. It gave a lot of people their intro to the TMNT. It also added to the lore.

If there's an iteration that you prefer more, great! Enjoy it. But "hate" for the FW series seems a bit extreme to me.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:47 AM   #26
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I love the old series. I was watching Turtle Tracks yesterday. It was goofy and fun in that 80's-90's SatAM way.

I also caught a clip of Shredder attacking Rat King and it was pretty funny.

I dunno. I think the FW series should be respected for what it is. It gave a lot of people their intro to the TMNT. It also added to the lore.

If there's an iteration that you prefer more, great! Enjoy it. But "hate" for the FW series seems a bit extreme to me.
I never said that I hate it.
I just wanted to open a thread about how much of an influence has been to the turtles in general.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If every single person you meet is an asshole, it's usually you yourself who's in the wrong. Food for thought.
Oh, pferreira. And just when I thought he and I were getting along. Yes, it's a bit like the guy or girl who talks about their many exes who were all psychotic monsters. At a certain point... it's you.

Unless he meant "Reported" with the winky face like he meant to say, "Reported... just kidding!"
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 AM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

I've been an eye-rolling observer for many years now. It just isn't cute anymore.

I'm a fan of my share of things that aren't beloved by consensus, so I do get it. But on one hand, there's something to be said for picking one's battles, or at the very least knowing well enough when to put the drum down. And furthermore, when someone is saying something that's factually provable, then you have no argument in that case just because you disagree or it hurts your feelings or whatever. "Opinions" don't weigh anything next to Facts; if you're putting them on a scale, Facts are bricks and Opinions are feathers. You can't override the former by shouting the latter over and over again, no matter how strongly you feel about it.

At the end of the day, such pathological defense of a kids' cartoon that's 25 years dead and buried is unhealthy, and derails any actual debate and conversation that anyone tries to have. People can't talk when some hyperactive kid is running around yelling "Nuh-UH! That's YOU!" every time someone says something they don't like.

I'unno. Not in a great mood lately and my patience for nonsense is at its absolute nadir. I've held my tongue in the past but I'm kinda tired of this sh*t from that guy. Most people here can seemingly have a conversation or debate and at least pretend to remain objective even if they admit to a personal bias. That one, not so much. Tiresome.

"What's 'tiresome' is when people here go out of their way to trash the OT despite forum rules and people love it and it shaped my childhood and blah blah!" Okay, whatever. We've all heard it by now and nobody caaaaares. Nobody's even "trashing" anything. It's silly.

Last edited by Leo656; 04-01-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #29
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Childhood nostaliga obsession is a problem affecting far more topics than just TMNT.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #30
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Difference between being an asshole and being you which is an elitist asshole.

Quote:
At the end of the day, such pathological defense of a kids' cartoon that's 25 years dead and buried is unhealthy,
So we can only respect Rise of TMNT and the IDW comic since those are current. Yikes that's kind of shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Why do I get the feeling neatoman and Leo656 forget what this website was built on? I had to ask Michelle Ivey over on Facebook to confirm you're allowed to have civilised discussions about this series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

You're exhausting. Go away.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Childhood nostaliga obsession is a problem affecting far more topics than just TMNT.
While I personally thrive in nostalgia, I would say I’d agree with this post in that this particular franchise is not unique when it comes to people wanting the old over the new.

By the same token, while I’m trying my hardest not to make mention of the drama also going on in this thread, I will say that I see both sides of the issue. While the apparent consensus that most are only familiar with the 87 cartoon is probably true, those who are familiar with the other eras seem to usually care only about what’s current (even if that’s another problem not unique to this franchise). Those skeptical of this observation of mine need only see how inactive the subforums of the 2003 cartoon and especially the 2012 cartoon are, even despite I personally prefer both of them over what’s current.

Also, for the record: surprisingly, as much as I love older stuff, my interest in the original cartoon was short lived, and I was a kid when the interest was present.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #33
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I don't understand why this is so hard. People love Zelda. LoZ is literally the same story over and over and over and over just remixed a bit.

Ocarina of Time probably don't get as much hate on a Zelda fan forum as 87 TMNT gets hate on this forum. Do people even really talk about 87 TMNT that much on here? I don't think so.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:51 AM   #34
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
inactive the subforums of the 2003 cartoon and especially the 2012 cartoon are
Some people like bashing and hating more than appreciating.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 AM   #35
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Yeah sure, but since this is a TMNT forum.
I could talk about the childish Pokémon community, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Some people like bashing and hating more than appreciating.
Most of the times yes, but I think that can even just be lack of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp
By the same token, while I’m trying my hardest not to make mention of the drama also going on in this thread, I will say that I see both sides of the issue. While the apparent consensus that most are only familiar with the 87 cartoon is probably true, those who are familiar with the other eras seem to usually care only about what’s current (even if that’s another problem not unique to this franchise). Those skeptical of this observation of mine need only see how inactive the subforums of the 2003 cartoon and especially the 2012 cartoon are, even despite I personally prefer both of them over what’s current.
True, true. I have to pray to get an answer to one of the various 2003 threads, for instance.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-04-2020, 03:53 AM   #36
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I don't understand why this is so hard. People love Zelda. LoZ is literally the same story over and over and over and over just remixed a bit.

Ocarina of Time probably don't get as much hate on a Zelda fan forum as 87 TMNT gets hate on this forum. Do people even really talk about 87 TMNT that much on here? I don't think so.
I've never seen pure HATE on the 1987 series, and I especially never HATED the 1987.
Heck, my profile picture is based off a scene from that cartoon!
I just don't really like it because it's abit too childish, but who cares actually? Every adamptation has it's pros and cons.

The point here is that the 1987 gets too much attention, and newer things that deserve to be atleast in the spotlight of real critics, are not.

Also, the forum is generally pretty quiet, nothing exaggerated. But if you watch closely, there are more posts on the 1987 adamptation instead of the "newer", just as 80gmrp said.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #37
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
Also, the forum is generally pretty quiet, nothing exaggerated. But if you watch closely, there are more posts on the 1987 adamptation instead of the "newer", just as 80gmrp said.
The site beginning life as a shrine to the 87 TMNT series has everything to do with that. Although we've had many eras of the franchise since, The Technodrome has never exactly 'evolved' past it's present purpose: To be a community for fans who grew up on the classic series, hence why a vocal minority of purists here get annoyed that conversation doesn't exactly grow beyond the love for that show.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #38
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post

To expand on this example, I don't really think that the two franchises are the same, and I would even go as far as to say that Zelda is an example of the opposite.

Yes, people still love Ocarina of Time, along with Link to the Past and Majora's Mask, which seem to me to be the games that are most referred back to. However, the franchise and the fanbase also adapt to new games. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, all the way up to current times with Breath of the Wild, the series has expanded to include many different interpretations that are mostly beloved and all have their fair share of fan art/merch/discussion and whatnot.

Unfortunately, that just seems like it isn't the case with this franchise. The idea of TMNT is dominated by the 1987 show. Almost every time the franchise is seen represented, it's based off of that specific interpretation. (I could go off onto a separate tangent about all the bland merchandise using the same stock art that's not even accurate to the show or original Turtle Mania designs - but that's for another time.) Outside of this forum, I barely ever see anything related to the 2003 or 2012 shows. Even Rise doesn't seem to have much of a presence. If it wasn't for the occasional time I am on these forums, I would barely have any idea it was still on. (is it still on? Did it get cancelled? I honestly have no idea...) And the comics, whether it be Mirage, IDW, or the others, are the most obscure of them all.

To use a different franchise as an example, imagine if the Batman franchise was pretty much only known by the 1966 show with Adam West, and everything else just passed by. The Nolan trilogy, B:TAS, the Arkham games, the original 90s movies, the recent Affleck portrayal... all just forgotten soon after they released. Just constant references to climbing up buildings and throwing giant bombs for most of the public knowledge of Batman. That is a similar situation to what I am seeing from the TMNT franchise now.

One of the things that made me happy recently was seeing the love that people showed to the 1990 movie last week as it seemed to go against this trend, so I won't say that things are impossible to turn around. It just seems like without something major, like a new movie that's actually good/great, most people won't let go of the grip on the 1987 show, or even the image of it.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #39
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27
Unfortunately, that just seems like it isn't the case with this franchise. The idea of TMNT is dominated by the 1987 show. Almost every time the franchise is seen represented, it's based off of that specific interpretation. (I could go off onto a separate tangent about all the bland merchandise using the same stock art that's not even accurate to the show or original Turtle Mania designs - but that's for another time.) Outside of this forum, I barely ever see anything related to the 2003 or 2012 shows. Even Rise doesn't seem to have much of a presence. If it wasn't for the occasional time I am on these forums, I would barely have any idea it was still on. (is it still on? Did it get cancelled? I honestly have no idea...) And the comics, whether it be Mirage, IDW, or the others, are the most obscure of them all.

To use a different franchise as an example, imagine if the Batman franchise was pretty much only known by the 1966 show with Adam West, and everything else just passed by. The Nolan trilogy, B:TAS, the Arkham games, the original 90s movies, the recent Affleck portrayal... all just forgotten soon after they released. Just constant references to climbing up buildings and throwing giant bombs for most of the public knowledge of Batman. That is a similar situation to what I am seeing from the TMNT franchise now.

One of the things that made me happy recently was seeing the love that people showed to the 1990 movie last week as it seemed to go against this trend, so I won't say that things are impossible to turn around. It just seems like without something major, like a new movie that's actually good/great, most people won't let go of the grip on the 1987 show, or even the image of it.
I couldn't agree more.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #40
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The Technodrome has never exactly 'evolved' past it's present purpose: To be a community for fans who grew up on the classic series
Uh, that's not even remotely true.

While the site is based upon the Original Cartoon, it is by no mean just a community for those people who grew up with that show, especially in the year 2020.

We have people here who grew up with other versions, and even people who embrace the franchise as adults.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote