The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #3901
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
NECA is garbage, it goes both ways homie, and if you listened to interviews with B. Flynn way before production began on MM, you'd have known that he was made to not be water tight
How is NECA garbage? the Mutagen Man is based on the toon and is the only version that exists in toy form. Not to mention that it is 100% accurate to the show in which it is based on. Super7 is the one that messed up. They were trying to replicate the Playmates version, which was meant to be water tight (yes, I know about Brian Flynn's 'apology'). It would have been an easy feature to incorporate, especially with some prior planning (yet, they go out of their way to make a GITD version). Likewise, if S7 releases Ray Fillet without the color changing water feature, people will be somewhat disappointed.

NECA is NOT trying to reproduce the original toy line. Why is this so difficult for nostalgia warriors to understand?
They shouldn't be held accountable for unique quirks found in the Playmates toy line.

Last edited by Dask; 04-16-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #3902
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Oh yay, name calling. Nostalgia warriors, fanboys, this will help the conversation tremendously.

You like that toy line, and YOU like THAT toy line. "Toy" being the key word here. Unless ya'll are posting from the playground you should feel pretty silly.

I myself like both lines and ordered 2x pizza monsters and the Ace Duck/Mutagen Man set.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #3903
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post

Glad I'm collecting these WITH the Super7 line... cause Mutagen Man is absolutely an example where the Playmates version poops all over the toon design.
That's a subjective assessment on your part. NECA's toon version has fidelity with respect to the 80's show. MM was supposed to have a face (as opposed to the floating sack of organs and brain in the Playmate's version). Also, you are paying twice as much ($55) for the Super 7 version. At that price, it should have included the infamous water-tight feature.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #3904
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Oh yay, name calling. Nostalgia warriors, fanboys, this will help the conversation tremendously.

You like that toy line, and YOU like THAT toy line. "Toy" being the key word here. Unless ya'll are posting from the playground you should feel pretty silly.

I myself like both lines and ordered 2x pizza monsters and the Ace Duck/Mutagen Man set.
I knew that you would eventually succumb to the NECA line. It's just too good. Dismissing the entire line over something as trivial as brush strokes doesn't quite compute.

Let's not underestimate the value of nostalgia that leads one to say things like "there will never be a toy line in the past or the future that will beat the Playmates line" (paraphrased).
Old 04-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #3905
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I knew that you would eventually succumb to the NECA line. It's just too good. Dismissing the entire line over something as trivial as brush strokes doesn't quite compute.

Let's not underestimate the value of nostalgia that leads one to say things like "there will never be a toy line in the past or the future that will beat the Playmates line" (paraphrased).
Not sure who you're thinking of, I've been in on both lines since they started. They both have there negatives but as a lifelong fan it's been a bit of a dream come true to not only get the cartoon figures we never had but also an "adult" version of the toys I collected as a kid.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #3906
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

I find both lines have their strengths and weaknesses (Super7's loose joints and accessories that don't fit the figure's hands, NECA's stiff joints and somewhat nightmarish availability), but I like both overall. I am going to have to draw a line in the sand somewhere for both series, though, as the latter half of the toyline AND the cartoon series really don't hold much meaning for me.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #3907
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Not sure who you're thinking of, I've been in on both lines since they started. They both have there negatives but as a lifelong fan it's been a bit of a dream come true to not only get the cartoon figures we never had but also an "adult" version of the toys I collected as a kid.
I think I confused you with another mikey.

Agreed. I am currently focusing on the NECA and I simply don't have the funds to support two parallel lines. I admire Super7's efforts but will have to choose selectively. I ordered their GITD Baxter and GITD MM (I would like to see a GITD Muckman along the lines of the S7 Toxie) and will probably wait for their variant turtles (e.g. Undercover Don, Samurai Leo, Space Cadet Raph, and Sewer Surfing Mike). I will probably pick up a few of my childhood favorites as I think S7 will do justice to the Playmates vision. I am curious to see Leatherhead in a deluxe size. I'm buying the Neutrinos from any line (personal favorite). Panda Khan, Slash, Fugitoid, Hothead, Usagi, Triceraton, Chrome Dome (with metallic finish), Tokka, Ray Fillet are the ones that I am looking forward to from S7. I would love to see the makeovers for the Playmates designs with the much improved proportions and scale. Scratch, Half-court, Hot Spot, Shogun Shoate and Sandstorm should be worth getting for the collector's value.

Last edited by Dask; 04-19-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #3908
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
god mutagen man looks awful
It's 100% accurate to the cartoon. Looks great to me. If you don't like that design, though, that's valid.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #3909
teemu
Stone Warrior

Both lines are great. Mutagen Man are both accurate (Toy and toon). I don't get the whining
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #3910
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
That's a subjective assessment on your part.
Of course it is. And I stand by it
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #3911
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Of course it is. And I stand by it
Wish they would combine shipping with all the preorders
Old 04-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #3912
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
That's a subjective assessment on your part. NECA's toon version has fidelity with respect to the 80's show. MM was supposed to have a face (as opposed to the floating sack of organs and brain in the Playmate's version). Also, you are paying twice as much ($55) for the Super 7 version. At that price, it should have included the infamous water-tight feature.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this post, it seems like you're saying Playmates' figure was unfaithful... but Mutagen Man's toy came first (character created in '88 or '89, toy made in '90, featuring episode in '91), & was designed by Peter Laird, as a "floating sack of organs & brain". The cartoon is what took creative liberties, so it would be easier to animate, & less terrifying for kids. Glad to see that version in toy form now, though, of course.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #3913
oldmanwinters
Overlord

If I were to knock the concept art for NECA Mutagen Man, I think it would be that his mid-section doesn't match, texture-wise:

His mid-section is a tank with both ooze and his organs inside, but only the upper-half is transparent while the bottom of it looks to be painted bright green. Maybe it will look different in full-figure form, but it looks odd right now.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #3914
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this post, it seems like you're saying Playmates' figure was unfaithful... but Mutagen Man's toy came first (character created in '88 or '89, toy made in '90, featuring episode in '91), & was designed by Peter Laird, as a "floating sack of organs & brain". The cartoon is what took creative liberties, so it would be easier to animate, & less terrifying for kids. Glad to see that version in toy form now, though, of course.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...jKPtvusLMvSSQY
Sorry about the confusion. I meant that the Playmates figures were generally unfaithful to the cartoon as well as the comics (although, some of the influence creeps in from multiple sources). The designs can be downright random at times like General Traag. Mutagen Man has a face in the cartoon, articulated jaw that lets him talk (I believe he also has a jaw in the comics). What I was trying to say is that, at least the NECA product line, is using some known reference material (e.g. Mutagen Man in the 80's show). I wasn't aware of Laird's original sketch design for MM and I agree that it would be quite dark for the intended audience.

I realize that the show took creative liberties with respect to the comics. It's unclear what Playmates influences were as they appear to be a hodgepodge of elements. Master Splinter and Napolean BonaFrog seem to be based on literal designs of animals, a rat, and a horned toad, respectively. However, having said this, the Super7 is very faithful to the nostalgia toys, and dramatically improves upon the design and execution (with minor defects like joint tightness/balancing or not including a defining action feature).The thing I appreciate the most is that they fix all the hunched-back postures of the original.

Last edited by Dask; 04-16-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #3915
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

NECA and Super7 are both awesome in their own way.

They also each have their own flaws - with NECA's being more QC and esp availability problems (these preorders right now are great though - but I wish they could say that everything will be preorder-able from here on and save heartburn).

Super7's Mutagen Man does *not* disappoint. Who really fills their toys with water? I never even knew the vintage did that, wasn't something I was interested in anyways. He's huge and super cool.

I'm looking forward to this version too.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #3916
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
NECA is garbage, it goes both ways homie, and if you listened to interviews with B. Flynn way before production began on MM, you'd have known that he was made to not be water tight
Yeah because telling you beforehand totally invalidates just how pathetic
you are when your whole goal in the first place is to remake something.

Raph & Leo = wobbly legs, giant gaping hole at neck.
Shredder = feet reuse of foot soldier , not accurate gauntlet doesnt turn making it weird in certain poses.
Bebop = Mohawk isn't even purple face too pink can't even hold his shield lol.

And WTF are you even comparing Super7 to Neca?
The price is double that of Neca's...... and it's ****.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #3917
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
NECA and Super7 are both awesome in their own way.

They also each have their own flaws - with NECA's being more QC and esp availability problems (these preorders right now are great though - but I wish they could say that everything will be preorder-able from here on and save heartburn).

Super7's Mutagen Man does *not* disappoint. Who really fills their toys with water? I never even knew the vintage did that, wasn't something I was interested in anyways. He's huge and super cool.

I'm looking forward to this version too.
Tight joints are a thing of the past..... recent figures after
rock soldiers, especially triceratons, rat king/vernon have been better.
Neca also upgraded the hip joints making it more articulated.

You talk as if super7's figures are readily available and easy to get.
Not to mention there are only 4 figs a year, if that. Expensive, long wait and flawed??? wtf??

It's like selling you a burger with just the buns and patty. No cheese, no lettuce, no onions. That's what u wanted right? It's still a burger. So what if i don't like onions? I'd still like to have it!!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #3918
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Cheap, good or fast, pick 2.

Neca is definitely affordable with this kind of quality.
Do I even need to justify how good it is? It's the current best line.
And it's definitely fast, otherwise our wallets wouldn't be complaining.

If you can check at least 2 of the criteria above, I would consider you a good company.
Neca checks all 3.

Meanwhile super7 can't even check 1.
It's expensive, it's flawed and it's slow.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #3919
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I collect both lines, and here's my opinions.

As far as accurately depicting what they're trying to depict, they've all been pretty stellar. The only real screw up, I'd say, is NECA's cartoon April has very weird proportions, making her simultaneously look too short and too big-headed. But other than that figure, every character has been screen accurate.

Now, I think outside of that, it comes down to personal taste. There's a lot of characters whose toon designs I didn't care for, and Mutagen Man is one of them. But this isn't even a NECA vs. Super 7 thing, because I also don't like Slash's toon design, which is why I skipped on that figure and instead have the Turtles in Time Slash figure on pre-order, that Slash ALSO being from NECA.

On the topic of the game figures, though, I also gotta say I don't really like how they painted pixels onto those figures. I know other game figures NECA's put out, such as their NES Batman or the Alien vs. Predator Dutch and Linn 2-pack, don't have those weird painted pixels and I wish the TMNT game figures were like that, personally. This is subjective taste and whatnot, but I figured I'd mention it.

Super 7's got a few weird quirks of their own that I take issue with. Why does Raphael's belt have gun metal coloring for the metallic parts, but Leonardo's belt has them colored silver? It bothers me that they don't both have the metal be the same color. And from the looks of things, Michelangelo isn't going to come with a turtle com, even though the other 3 Turtles do. I also think there's a lot of missed opportunities. Shredder should have come with an alternate Oroku Saki head, instead of that jokey head with the eyebrows on the helmet (or both heads, considering the pricepoint for these figures). I think it'd be cool if Casey Jones came with an unmasked head, too, but I'm definitely not expecting it, and that's a real shame. I know Casey never took off his mask in the cartoon, but we've already established that the original toyline was different from the cartoon, and I also think there were plans for the original Playmates line to have an unmasked Casey figure... or am I completely dreaming that up?

I'm also really hoping Super 7 Mondo Gecko's skateboard actually ends up having the metal parts colored silver or similar, because the prototype shots showing it all solid green makes it look cheap... which these figures are anything but.

Super 7 does seem to have a few issues with loose joints, and NECA seems to have them with tight joints, putting them on polar opposite sides here. Loose joints can be bad for posing, while joints that are too tight can end up having you break the figure just from trying to pose it (which is a nightmare situation in and of itself, but especially for a figure that's so hard to find). Both issues CAN potentially be fixed (really depends on just how loose or how tight the joints really are), but even then it's inexcusable to expect the consumer to HAVE to do work just to have the figure do what it's intended to do out of the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Cheap, good or fast, pick 2.

Neca is definitely affordable with this kind of quality.
Do I even need to justify how good it is? It's the current best line.
And it's definitely fast, otherwise our wallets wouldn't be complaining.

If you can check at least 2 of the criteria above, I would consider you a good company.
Neca checks all 3.

Meanwhile super7 can't even check 1.
It's expensive, it's flawed and it's slow.
Ehhhh... if they were selling every figure on its own, I'd agree with you about NECA being cheaper. But often times, a person is forced to get a figure they don't want along with one they do want. Even right now, I only want Ace Duck and have no interest in Mutagen Man. I also had to get Vernon piggybacking along Rat King. I mean, this probably doesn't bother people that want to collect every single figure, but for a person that prefers to pick and choose, it still feels like you're paying more because you're only going for one figure. I'd like to have the choice of actually paying just $25 for one figure I want rather than $50 for one figure I want and one figure I don't want. So in this sense, I feel like I have to pay $50 per figure regardless of if I'm getting NECA or Super 7. Though it should be noted they're also different scales. But on that note... I think I do prefer the smaller scale of the NECA toon figures as compared to the bigger scale of Super 7's Ultimates.

Anywho, I know you said they're improving the tight joints on NECA figures. I hope you're right about that, but it's not something you should dismiss, either.

Not to mention how horrible distribution has been. Super 7 makes figures on a pre-order basis. You pre-order from them, and you can pre-order however many you want, and they'll make that amount. They may not be readily available and easy to get AFTER release, but BEFORE release they most certainly are. Granted, it does suck that they take a very long time to release the figures, in that it sucks having to wait. But on the other hand, waves coming out as slow as they do has been great for saving up for them, at least. I honestly don't know if I'd even be able to afford the figures I want from them if they came out with 3 or 4 waves per year. Still, this kind of also affects price, in a way. If you're prepared for a Super 7 figure, you can pre-order it without any hassle. If you're prepared for a NECA figure, you have to go hunting to find it without much in your favor, and then you're pretty much forced to pay scalper prices which can get downright stupid (just look at what's happening with the disguise 4-pack right now). It's good that NECA is starting to do pre-orders on their site, though, but this has been a very long, ongoing issue with them.

To summarize, though.

Both lines are flawed, neither is really cheap (maybe per figure NECA is, but that's not how they sell/package them), but both are good.

Though, admittedly, them being good is pretty subjective, but I do believe both of them to be good.

I hope I don't get called names or dragged into this little brand war. Like I said, I collect both lines and I like both lines. I do find that both have their advantages and disadvantages. And I've been collecting NECA TMNT figures since they first came out with the Mirage comic line. Please be gentle with me for sharing my opinions.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #3920
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Ehhhh... if they were selling every figure on its own, I'd agree with you about NECA being cheaper. But often times, a person is forced to get a figure they don't want along with one they do want.
It's really simple.
Just compare single deluxe Neca figures which are usually $30 or $35 if it's a huge figure
and you would still come to the conclusion that Neca is cheap.

Super7 being pre-order only is a nightmare 'cos I don't know what I'm getting
nor do I trust them with making a good figure. I have a couple super7 TMNT
and I also pre-ordered Mondo.....
BUT IT IS PURELY out of nostalgia. Not because I like super7's figures.

Last edited by Spidergreg; 04-16-2021 at 08:35 PM.