The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #2941
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicexct View Post
Not because it’s ready. The licensor has to give approval for them to release it and they haven’t been able to before because Playmates put out a wagon.

Super 7 isn’t Hasbro or Mattel. They are a boutique company that has the ability to get some really big licenses. Their products will always be more expensive and at a lower capacity. I’ve never seen another company be so transparent about pricing and their plans. It’s honestly refreshing.
Yeah. I honestly really like Brian. He’s very candid. Unlike others he honestly seems like he loves making toys and seems just as annoyed or hurt when things go wrong as well.

Randy from neca may be the next person that’s as candid as Brian is w behind the scenes issues and industry things. You’d never get this kind of honesty from hasbro or Mattel.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #2942
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

All the people buying into Brian's BS probably hasn't seen
the thundertank interview so you don't realized he's just regurgitating
excuses but it's fine, you can have your opinions.

But i just hope you've pre-ordered your party wagon.
It's one thing to say you believe him, but you need to support with your wallet
cos that's what counts.

Last edited by Spidergreg; 11-20-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #2943
Otter
Stone Warrior

I'm on Team Brian. But I'll follow his own advice and buy the product that I like. If his vanity projects resonate with me, I'll purchase. I don't feel any obligation.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #2944
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I'm on Team Brian. But I'll follow his own advice and buy the product that I like. If his vanity projects resonate with me, I'll purchase. I don't feel any obligation.
Then i can't take what you say seriously.
'cos if you believe him, then it also means you believe the price
he is asking is fair. And if it's fair, why aren't you buying it?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:00 PM   #2945
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

$500 is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. If you're into collecting figures, i'd also like to think you have disposable income and can drop $500 on a dime on things that you like. But it's the value that a lot of us have a problem with. We do not think it holds the same worth as a current gen console say the PS5.

'cos i'm definitely in the market for a ps5 if i can only find one. It doesn't mean i can't afford the party wagon. I just don't see the value in it. But if i think it's a fair price heck yeah i'll buy it!
Old 11-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #2946
SleepDrifter
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
I mean… he literally just told you why…? Lol
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 PM   #2947
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I just look at the price and compare it to previous releases.

$500 Henson Prime 1 Turtle. Deal.
$500 Cartoon PCS statue. Deal.

$500 plastic slightly oversized toy vehicle. Nah.

But I respect everyone’s decision to get this, just not for me. If it was a $500 Technodrome, I’d prob be in no argument. But this feels like a “let’s see how much we can rape these fans” kinda price.

As for the price hike of figures, I’d be done if they jumped to $75. That’s insane.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #2948
Dask
Mad Scientist

This is the best opportunity for a company like the Loyal Subjects to release a $39 Party Wagon!
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:19 AM   #2949
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Brian is threatening possible higher prices for ultimates too next year...possibly to $75
I didn't like the price hike from $45 to $55, but I was like, "Sure, okay, toy prices are going up all around. $50 would have been more reasonable, but I'm still in."

But... $75? I really hope this doesn't happen, because I'll be forced to abandon ship. I won't be able to buy anymore Ultimates at THAT price. Sorry, can't justify it, no matter how cool these figures are. Not when they come out in waves of four (or more) and not when they're in a scale that I had to force myself to get into (I always actively avoided 7 inch scale before I started buying Ultimates).
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:19 AM   #2950
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
As stated previously, I have precious little connection to the Playmates line. This item holds no appeal.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:30 AM   #2951
Hans Flying Turtlenecker
Thug

I personally love the design for the Party Wagon, I think it looks great, and I love the little accessories that comes with it. Sadly though I neither have the economy nor the living space to be able to get this

I am gonna nit-pick a little though when it comes to one of the desing choices for the wagon that I think it kinda odd.
Super7 themselves says that the wagon can hold up to six figures. Two in the front, and four in the back. Simple enough.
But then, why have they sculpted the seats in the back so that it looks like it can house up to six figures there? There are six seat belts.
I just think that's a really odd designs choice.

Hans Flying Turtlenecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:27 AM   #2952
AquaParade
Banned

So you can choose where to sit, my friend.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #2953
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
I didn't like the price hike from $45 to $55, but I was like, "Sure, okay, toy prices are going up all around. $50 would have been more reasonable, but I'm still in."

But... $75? I really hope this doesn't happen, because I'll be forced to abandon ship. I won't be able to buy anymore Ultimates at THAT price. Sorry, can't justify it, no matter how cool these figures are. Not when they come out in waves of four (or more) and not when they're in a scale that I had to force myself to get into (I always actively avoided 7 inch scale before I started buying Ultimates).
I don't understand why they can't just simply get rid of the extra heads, hands, accessories (most of these items stay in ziplock bags and are only useful for toy photographers on Instagram) and sell the figures at $30. There would be less tooling involved, less molds, less plastics, less quality assurance checks, less man power, less individually hand-painted pieces etc. I really don't think Nickelodeon or Playmates is still enforcing a deluxe price tag.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #2954
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I don't understand why they can't just simply get rid of the extra heads, hands, accessories (most of these items stay in ziplock bags and are only useful for toy photographers on Instagram) and sell the figures at $30. There would be less tooling involved, less molds, less plastics, less quality assurance checks, less man power, less individually hand-painted pieces etc. I really don't think Nickelodeon or Playmates is still enforcing a deluxe price tag.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you are drinking the kool-aid that these companies want you to drink. They've trained you. And honestly, that's not a dig on you - that's what every retail/selling company tries to do. Years back some retailers wanted to "train" their customers to use internet ordering so as to reduce their own costs, for example.

The point? Your whole premise about getting rid of small accessories for price changes is actually the industry strawman manipulation. "Our price point includes this and that accessory". It's a lie. All of that could be included every time and they could still charge 20 bucks a figure as compared to what they are doing.

As support to help anyone having a hard time tracking with this, or maybe has that knee-jerk Dromer reaction to argue this? Hasbro is doing it right now with their newest Haslab. They solicited a Star Wars Rancor. Then they "add value" with each tier. Their added value? First tier was some "skulls and bones" stuff that could be molded in mass for probably .10 for each grouping. The second tier? A re-pack of a small figure from a previously released exclusive. The third? Another re-pack of a Gamorrean Guard that already exists on the market. Yet these are "stretch goals" as if they are adding extreme value to their "right at cost" project that they hope will just go unnoticed by the low-information buyer. It's all Bull $#!(.

It's the same thing with "hands and heads" and all of that crap. At some price point it becomes true that they can or can't include that stuff, but if you believe their nonsense that it's anywhere near 50 bucks at retail then you are just fulfilling their corporate need for "peasant thinker buyers", man.

It's the industry bull $#!( that I take offense with. And it's the consumer who blindly fall into line with the lingo without computing it who actually continue the problem when they buy this stuff. These companies are lying to you. There was a point where these things were indeed ways to "add value" but it's been exploited by boutique companies for some time now. I don't begrudge these companies a profit, but we've entered a threshold where they are simply outright jacking up the pricing and lying about it.

They'd be better off making pennies on the dollar and reaching a wide audience or one that won't go away than this cash-grab "triple your money" nonsense they are going for. Smart buyers aren't supporting these. It's the "peasant thinker buyers" doing it.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-21-2021 at 04:48 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #2955
Dask
Mad Scientist

Maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid, but I was accustomed to how Mattel packaged their ThunderCats figures for $30. No excessive packaging, no additional sculpts. Perhaps, a weapon or two. It was great, granted they could probably sell for $20. Then S7 came along and added all these extra heads, accessories and started selling them for $45-55. Now, I'm obviously brainwashed into this type of set-up. I've been waiting a few decades to have the perfect ThunderCats figures (I skipped out on LJN because I was an astute kid who could easily discern cartoon fidelity when others couldn't, not that the current TC toy adaptations are exactly "Filmation"), and I've been burned by Bandai (and, Toonami for canceling the reboot just when it was getting good), and Mattel (Mezco doesn't count because I don't generally collect that scale but I do sometimes make exceptions) so voting with my dollars is not a philosophy that I can embrace. However, with the Turtles, I suppose there is an option. I lean towards NECA and they seem reasonable for the price tag. However, I recently collected S7 but I only have 5 from their line.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #2956
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Quote:
This man enjoy selling things at a premium.
10characters
Old 11-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #2957
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid, but I was accustomed to how Mattel packaged their ThunderCats figures for $30. No excessive packaging, no additional sculpts. Perhaps, a weapon or two. It was great, granted they could probably sell for $20. Then S7 came along and added all these extra heads, accessories and started selling them for $45-55. Now, I'm obviously brainwashed into this type of set-up. I've been waiting a few decades to have the perfect ThunderCats figures (I skipped out on LJN because I was an astute kid who could easily discern cartoon fidelity when others couldn't, not that the current TC toy adaptations are exactly "Filmation"), and I've been burned by Bandai (and, Toonami for canceling the reboot just when it was getting good), and Mattel (Mezco doesn't count because I don't generally collect that scale but I do sometimes make exceptions) so voting with my dollars is not a philosophy that I can embrace. However, with the Turtles, I suppose there is an option. I lean towards NECA and they seem reasonable for the price tag. However, I recently collected S7 but I only have 5 from their line.
I'm sincerely hoping for both myself and the fandom at large that the upcoming BST AXN line gets us what we want and maintains a better price point, man.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #2958
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I'm sincerely hoping for both myself and the fandom at large that the upcoming BST AXN line gets us what we want and maintains a better price point, man.
Isn't that kinda apples and oranges? I can't say it feels comparable at all, nor have I really felt any desire to own any of those figures.

Quote:
Besides what's already been said about those things not really being something that should impact the price so drastically, the extra heads and hands are actually a big draw for me, and I often get upset when Hasbro cheapens out on not including those things with their figures.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:32 AM   #2959
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Isn't that kinda apples and oranges? I can't say it feels comparable at all, nor have I really felt any desire to own any of those figures.
That's exactly what it is.
And they cater to different segments of the market.
And that's perfectly okay.

Deep cuts, specific references, obscure characters/properties (smaller production runs) and multiple display options aren't everyone's thing. But if they are, expect to pay more.

I really do want more than mass-market product from the figures I add to my collection. Others want EXACTLY that. And neither ought be judged nor disparaged by the other.

Collect what you like.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #2960
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

I think people forget how absurdly small the TMNT Ultimates audience is - when the first wave came out, Super7 re-used some cases for shipping.

Wave 1, first release, there were 8504 Foot Soldiers got made (1063 boxes). That's it.

I would be shocked if they sold more than a thousand of these vans *total*.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote