The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

20th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Recently (In November 201 was 20 years since the release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know I should have posted during the anniversary but many probably associate its release with the 1998–1999 Christmas and holiday season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Le...carina_of_Time

(Spoiler below: Playthrough)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QvlxoX1GjI
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

Oh man. Ocarina of Time. I must have been 8 years old at best when my older brother came home with it back in the day.

The only Zelda game I had played until then was the very first NES Zelda game. I didn't get to play A Link to the Plast until after Ocarina, and didn't know of Link's Awakening's existence until many years later. So imagine what it felt like to go from the first ever NES Zelda game to Ocarina a couple of years later.

Ocarina of Time was probably the defining game of my childhood. It felt like video games had plateau'd with Ocarina at the time. never had I experienced a game like that before. Felt very cinematic and epic. Sure, Mario 64 was great, but it didn't have the same cinematic and epicness feel to it. Mario games are mostly about the gameplay and that's it. Saving peach is just something that happens at the end. I don't even think of that as I play Mario. I just want fun levels. But Zelda is different. I get involved in the quest and every step I take in it, and Ocarina was no different. I loved its world and cast of characters and it was the first game I played that was quite text heavy and where I developed some sort of emotional connection with its side characters.

For years I swore Ocarina was the pinnacle of gaming and the undisputed GOAT. Since then I played and beat it a few more times and I no longer think that. Nowadays I consider A Link to the Past superior to it. Ocarina was a very influential game at the time that introduced gameplay mechanics such as Z-targetting that improved the gaming experience tenfold. But nowadays I feel it's been surpassed. And that's not a bad thing. It's a good sign, in fact. Still a good game, but no longer an ultimate favourite of mine.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I got a good chuckle out of this image. It would been awesome if it looked more like the flasks in the game, but any player would know the intent.
Image is in spoilers due to size
Spoiler:

Otherwise, Happy 20th to a kick-ass game.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've still never played a single Zelda game. Ever.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You are missing out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You are missing out.
I KNEW I could get a comment outta you with that!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I agree the Zelda games are amazing
you are def missing out imho but then again who cares what I think
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I've been playing Zelda games in the order they came out since Ocarina of Time. (I actually got Zelda II before I got Zelda I.) Link's Awakening came out a month before I started my first year of high school and that's when I got it and started working on it. After that, and up to my second year of college, I had a lot of neat games to play, and then Ocarina of Time came out. I finally had a new Zelda game to work on after all that time. After that, new Zelda games have been coming out every other year without huge gaps in between those years.

I felt like a loser for not having enough money to preorder the game. I almost got this job at a computer store, but that fell through. I got enough money around Christmastime that year to buy a copy, but I missed my chance of getting a gold cartridge. Still, it was a fun game, even though I'm not sure where I'd rank it among all the other games, since I've enjoyed all Zelda games (although I don't care to touch the CD-i games).
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
We all miss big titles sometimes. Can't just play/watch/read/wtv everything. I've never played a Metal gear Solid game before, for example.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Legendary opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ohCKS_LUM
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Icebot
Foot Elite

I’ve never played ocarina of time but is this the same game released on the 3ds? I have that version but I didn’t get a chance to play it yet. I plan to though.

Happy 20th anniversary!
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
I’ve never played ocarina of time but is this the same game released on the 3ds? I have that version but I didn’t get a chance to play it yet. I plan to though.

Happy 20th anniversary!
I mean, it is the same game at core, of course, but obviously the 3DS remake is more polished graphically and gameplay wise to fit modern gaming standards. it's the best version of the game you can find, imo. The water temple, for example, is much more bearable in that version.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

Definitely wanna pick up the 3DS version one of these days. Haven't played the OG in ages. Had the Gamecube port but my Wii stopped reading discs.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 AM   #15
Shark_Blade
Emperor

My first Zelda was Ocarina of Time 3D on 3DS.

Breath of the Wild is better but OoT held it's own. If only I could rid of that annoying fairy hovering over Link all the time shouting "HEY HEEYYY LISTEN"
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 AM   #16
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I still say this is the best game ever made, from start to finish, the music, designs, gameplay and story, completely epic.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)

Last edited by TheBlueTurtle1; 01-19-2019 at 03:33 AM.
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Definitely wanna pick up the 3DS version one of these days. Haven't played the OG in ages. Had the Gamecube port but my Wii stopped reading discs.
The 3DS version of the game is probably the best version currently available.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The 3DS version of the game is probably the best version currently available.
I'd say it' by far the best one available. Not only it has the advantages I mentioned already, but it also has the icing on the cake which is being portable. I remember being a kid and wondering if we'd ever see 3D portable likes, like the N64 games at the time. It was pretty cool when it became a reality.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #19
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I am sorry, 20 years ago I was hook on Final Fantasy 8, which this year also turns 20 lol.

I am still am hook on FF8 because well I playing it again lol. On disk 2 and I am about to blow up that missle base. I played Zelda Ocarina of time much later though.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Gay.
----------

It's weird, Zelda was a series I tried getting into as a kid but it didn't take. I rented the original when I was like 6, despite not having any idea what I was doing. I somehow managed to get like half the Triforce pieces, I think, but not having a map or any idea at all about the burning bushes, secret rooms, etc., I could only figure out how to get so far within the couple days I had it. I later got Zelda II and played it a lot for fun, but again, didn't really know what I was doing, so I only got about halfway through the first Palace before I was gifted a book of walkthroughs and tips for all different NES games, and then I finally beat it somewhere around 1994. Despite being the black sheep of the series, I had a lot of fun with it as a kid but it wasn't one of my favorites just the same. Based on that, I somehow just skipped over "Link to the Past" entirely. I didn't think much about Zelda games back then.

That changed shortly before "Ocarina" came out for N64; I was at a friend's house and they happened to have LttP in their SNES, so I started messing with it and got hooked, and that finally made me a "fan" of the series. My Dad got me LttP and Ocarina for Christmas, and after that I was on a serious Zelda kick for a good long while. Both were great, obviously, but the transition to 3D with the N64 game really blew me away. Once I got done beating those games, I bought the original game at FuncoLand, finally beat it, then started doing runs of the entire series in order and all that. Great times.

I remember the following Summer, my buddy still hadn't played Ocarina yet, so he came over for almost a week and we just had an epic Zelda marathon, rotating between the first two games and Ocarina at our leisure, one playing while the other slept. Good stuff.

I've beaten it a bunch and have it on N64 and Gamecube; I haven't played it in a few years but I definitely plan to fix that soon. I love all the Zelda games I've played, but that one definitely raised the bar, not just for the series but for gaming in general. Remember when lock-on targeting was a novelty? Auto-jumping gaps? Context-sensitive Action Buttons? Maybe the game didn't invent any of those gimmicks, but it damn sure made them more of a standard by introducing them to a huge audience.

Between Ocarina and Metal Gear Solid 1, the entire landscape of video games was completely reinvented that fall, and I doubt any of us really expected that to happen. But it can't be over-stated, those two games completely changed everything.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote