The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

And 2009 was already 10 years ago. What games were you playing at the time?

Yep, that long ago. What games were you playing at the time?

2009 was the year I fell a bit out of gaming for a while until I got back to it on a regular basis around 2012-2013. In the 2009-2011 period I still played games but often went through days and weeks without gaming much. 2010 in particular was a year where I barely touched video games at all.

That being said, I recall playing some things in 2009. I remember playing a bit on my brother's original DS at the time. Playing New Super Bros and Warioware, mostly.

I also bought Final Fantasy X for the PS2 in late 2009, but never got around to beat it. I need to replay that game one day and finally beat it. And I remember also buying the game Neo Geo battle Coliseum for the PS2 as well around the time. Damn SNK really loves hard as hell games, though.

Football Manager 2009 was definitely something I was playing at the time as well. But mostly in late 2008, iirc.

I also pondered getting either a DS or an Xbox 360. Ended up not getting either of them. I kinda regret never getting the 360 nowadays, but oh well.

So yeah, basically, I mostly gamed from September onward in 2009. Not so much in the spring and summer parts of the year. I was more interested in other things in 2009, such as heavy metal music and anime/manga.Also was busy for most of the year with other things going in my life, so games took a backseat to all of this.

What about you? What were you playing in 2009?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Cybercubed, is that you?

I was emulating SNES like crazy, heavily into Super Mario World hacks. Naturally, I played a lot of first party Wii titles, too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

2009 was around the time I didn't play as much video games again until 2011 more or less, I remember buying DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and then 3 and finishing them, still my favorite DBZ games, I remember playing all the beat em up TMNT games, Jurassic Park Builder on the GBA but no new 2009 games that I can recall, I bought MP Trilogy that year but never played it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

I don't remember what I played yesterday.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 AM   #5
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I'm pretty sure at the time I got heavily into God Of War games and some classics like Super Metroid, that I had never played before.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I also bought Final Fantasy X for the PS2 in late 2009, but never got around to beat it. I need to replay that game one day and finally beat it.
You bought Final Fantasy X almost a decade after it was released? Maybe you meant XIII, or XII? Anyway, yeah, you should check out the X/X-2 HD upgrade pack for PS4.

2009? Yeesh. I think I was still playing the crap out of Final Fantasy XI, but maybe I'd already stopped by that point. Maybe "Final Fantasy IV: The After Years." Almost assuredly slowly getting through Grand Theft Auto 4, which took me 2 years or more.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-02-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Yugioh 5D’s WC2009
Bowser’s Inside Story
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Pokemon Platinum
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was released in August that year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xQEarZzG4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You bought Final Fantasy X almost a decade after it was released? Maybe you meant XIII, or XII? Anyway, yeah, you should check out the X/X-2 HD upgrade pack for PS4.

2009? Yeesh. I think I was still playing the crap out of Final Fantasy XI, but maybe I'd already stopped by that point. Maybe "Final Fantasy IV: The After Years." Almost assuredly slowly getting through Grand Theft Auto 4, which took me 2 years or more.
No, man. I did not misstype it. It was truly FFX. Why did it take me ages to buy it? Well, first, I only got a PS2 in late 2005. A PS2 Slim, in fact. It was a Christmas gift. And I mostly played games like Pro Evolution Soccer, WWE games, Tekken, Canis Canem Edit(Bully in USA), etc. on it. I grew up in a Nintendo household and the PS2is the only Sony console I've had to this date.

Also, since I spent most of my youth playing and focusing on Nintendo stuff and some Sega stuff, I overlooked a lot of stuff for Playstation consoles. I'd hear or read about their notorious titles but that's it. In 2005-2007 I barely thought about Final Fantasy, and it wasn't a series I grew up with. I've only played FFX so far, in fact. I oughta try 6(3 in the West) one day, since I believe my brother owns it for the SNES. And I'd like to play 7 one day just to see what the fuss is all about, but the remake is taking forever, so I guess I'll have to find another way to play it one of these days.

Don't own a PS4, but plan on getting a Switch perhaps this year and I believe X HD is gonna be released for the Switch as well?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Don't own a PS4, but plan on getting a Switch perhaps this year and I believe X HD is gonna be released for the Switch as well?
Apparently.

I actually really like X, if not its linear, corridor-driven gameplay. It had me pretty riveted when it came out. Apparently Square-Enix did, too, so much that they basically recycled the story into XIII (i.e., the religion of the world and god that they worship is actually EVIL and needs to be FOUGHT and KILLED at the end).
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Apparently.

I actually really like X, if not its linear, corridor-driven gameplay. It had me pretty riveted when it came out. Apparently Square-Enix did, too, so much that they basically recycled the story into XIII (i.e., the religion of the world and god that they worship is actually EVIL and needs to be FOUGHT and KILLED at the end).
Well, I cannot compare it to other games of the series, since it's the only one I played to this day. But I can see why fans criticise the cast. Auron and Lulu are the only characters I truly like in the game. Don't care much for the rest. But other than that, the game plays well enough and is very visually appealing. Also, I really liked the skill map it had. Pretty creative. And tbh, I didn't find it very grinding. Maybe for the post game or close to the end of ti you need to grind more, but I don't recall grinding much in it.

Blitzball was fun but pretty hard, though.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well, I cannot compare it to other games of the series, since it's the only one I played to this day. But I can see why fans criticise the cast. Auron and Lulu are the only characters I truly like in the game. Don't care much for the rest. But other than that, the game plays well enough and is very visually appealing. Also, I really liked the skill map it had. Pretty creative. And tbh, I didn't find it very grinding. Maybe for the post game or close to the end of ti you need to grind more, but I don't recall grinding much in it.

Blitzball was fun but pretty hard, though.
It wasn't grinding at all. It's probably the easiest, least-involved Final Fantasy you'll ever play. I didn't mind the cast. Awful main character design... looks like Meg Ryan.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It wasn't grinding at all. It's probably the easiest, least-involved Final Fantasy you'll ever play.
So I guess that was a good pick for someone like me who was totally new to the series, then?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
So I guess that was a good pick for someone like me who was totally new to the series, then?
Depends on how you look at it. It's a good game to dip your toe into the series to get a feel for it to then play other ones (though #1, it didn't do this for you since you say that's the only one you've ever played, and #2, none of the Final Fantasy games' stories are connected and are all on different worlds so it doesn't really matter which one you play first), but it's hardly indicative of the best of what the series has to offer.

But probably no one really agrees on what that is. Most people would probably say VII. I don't. While I enjoy IV the most (it's like the best story ever... you explore the underworld, the moon, get the girl and become king!) I would say IX is the best introductory FF game. It's got a pretty classic story with classic character archetypes, big scope and some tough battles you actually have to work for. Also, plenty of bonus stuff you can do on the side and explore.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Depends on how you look at it. It's a good game to dip your toe into the series to get a feel for it to then play other ones (though #1, it didn't do this for you since you say that's the only one you've ever played, and #2, none of the Final Fantasy games' stories are connected and are all on different worlds so it doesn't really matter which one you play first), but it's hardly indicative of the best of what the series has to offer.

But probably no one really agrees on what that is. Most people would probably say VII. I don't. While I enjoy IV the most (it's like the best story ever... you explore the underworld, the moon, get the girl and become king!) I would say IX is the best introductory FF game. It's got a pretty classic story with classic character archetypes, big scope and some tough battles you actually have to work for. Also, plenty of bonus stuff you can do on the side and explore.
For the record, the only reason I haven't played other FF game yet was due to falling out of gaming for a while and sticking to Nintendo consoles. The only FF games you can find in Nintendo consoles are the NES ones and 3(or 6) for the SNES. I oughta play that one someday.

I know some of the FF titles are on Steam, but not sure if their ports are good. Have you tried them?

A bit OT now, but recently I played this Square Enix game called Dragon Quest VIII and liked it quite a bit. Ever played the DQ series?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
For the record, the only reason I haven't played other FF game yet was due to falling out of gaming for a while and sticking to Nintendo consoles. The only FF games you can find in Nintendo consoles are the NES ones and 3(or 6) for the SNES. I oughta play that one someday.

I know some of the FF titles are on Steam, but not sure if their ports are good. Have you tried them?
I haven't tried any ports. But I've played every FF.

Quote:
A bit OT now, but recently I played this Square Enix game called Dragon Quest VIII and liked it quite a bit. Ever played the DQ series?
Dragon Quest VIII was awesome. Yeah, I'm huge into the DQ series. I just bought Dragon Quest XI a couple week ago and have put about 12 hours into it so far. Also starting to play IX a little bit on emulator except it seems... a little crappy.

Even back when it was "Dragon Warrior" over here. 1-4 were really magical games to me, as a kid. 1-3 in particular.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I haven't tried any ports. But I've played every FF.

Dragon Quest VIII was awesome. Yeah, I'm huge into the DQ series. I just bought Dragon Quest XI a couple week ago and have put about 12 hours into it so far. Also starting to play IX a little bit on emulator except it seems... a little crappy.

Even back when it was "Dragon Warrior" over here. 1-4 were really magical games to me, as a kid. 1-3 in particular.
I'd like to play the biggest of them all. 7, I think?

DQ8 is an interesting game. it's hardly ground breaking or anything but it's a very solid game and the characters have a certain charm to them. Btw, I have the 3DS port/remake. Where you can see enemies in the overworld and can also quick save if you're too far from a church or need to put the 3DS down in the middle of a dungeon.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'd like to play the biggest of them all. 7, I think?
That's what I understand. I played it for about a week and kind of just lost interest in it and never came back to it. As I recall it came out very late into the PS1's life so it seemed rather... substandard, at the time.

I didn't like how Dragon Warrior/Quest moved away from the "legacy" storytelling of the first three games. I thought that was great, and set it apart from the Final Fantasy games. Dragon Quest IV-VI form the "Celestial Trilogy" but they aren't on the same worlds and don't have anything to do with each other. VII, VIII, and IX certainly have nothing to do with each other.

Apparently the brand new Dragon Quest XI serves as a prequel to Dragon Quest III (which, in turn, was a prequel to Dragon Quest I), though.

Quote:
DQ8 is an interesting game. it's hardly ground breaking or anything but it's a very solid game and the characters have a certain charm to them. Btw, I have the 3DS port/remake. Where you can see enemies in the overworld and can also quick save if you're too far from a church or need to put the 3DS down in the middle of a dungeon.
Yeah, Dragon Quest has done away with random, invisible monster encounters. XI has the same thing.

VIII had just as happy of an ending as FF IV, come to think of it. Great stuff.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
That's what I understand. I played it for about a week and kind of just lost interest in it and never came back to it. As I recall it came out very late into the PS1's life so it seemed rather... substandard, at the time.

I didn't like how Dragon Warrior/Quest moved away from the "legacy" storytelling of the first three games. I thought that was great, and set it apart from the Final Fantasy games. Dragon Quest IV-VI form the "Celestial Trilogy" but they aren't on the same worlds and don't have anything to do with each other. VII, VIII, and IX certainly have nothing to do with each other.

Apparently the brand new Dragon Quest XI serves as a prequel to Dragon Quest III (which, in turn, was a prequel to Dragon Quest I), though.

Yeah, Dragon Quest has done away with random, invisible monster encounters. XI has the same thing.

VIII had just as happy of an ending as FF IV, come to think of it. Great stuff.
I haven't actually beaten the final boss yet. And then there's a bit of post-game. The game is bigger than it looks. it sure is immersive. I know mroe or less what happens at the end though. Difference being, in the 3DS version:

Spoiler:
You can chose which girl you'll marry. The princess or Jessica.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I haven't actually beaten the final boss yet. And then there's a bit of post-game. The game is bigger than it looks. it sure is immersive. I know mroe or less what happens at the end though. Difference being, in the 3DS version:

Spoiler:
You can chose which girl you'll marry. The princess or Jessica.
Interesting.

Mostly I just remember (fondly) the big supporting character calling me "Gov" all the time and going, "COR BLIMEY!"