Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylord View Post
Woah wall of text there buddy.
I'm sorry, I just have to go on a tangent here, because things like this just irk me. Sorry in advance, I'm sure you didn't mean anything significant by it.

Why is it that people will often claim that other people are spouting "baseless negativity", and then when they give a thorough breakdown of their point of view they're confronted with "WOAH, wall of text"? They were literally challenged to defend their point of view, and simply did so in a very thorough fashion leaving nothing to supposition.

People come at me with that very often as well, and always have, and I gotta say, it's annoying. If a person's "sincere and heartfelt" opinion fits within the limitations of a Tweet, then it's vapid. People who can actually articulate their viewpoint and give an in-depth breakdown of why they feel the way they do should be celebrated, not ridiculed.

I for one would like to see MORE people be able to clarify their position on any number of topics in such a fashion as Powder has above, rather than lean on "Well *I* like/dislike it and if you think differently, then Go Screw", as is the standard anymore.

It's not just here, by the way, nor is it about your post specifically, I see it everywhere. "HAH, wall of text, what an idiot." As if being articulate and thorough made a person LESS intelligent rather than more. It's really frustrating.

I know you didn't call him an idiot and probably weren't trying to start anything, I'm just saying. Yes, he made a long-ish post but did he need to be "called out" for it? I'unno. It was "attack language", whether intentional or otherwise, is all. If a long post sincerely isn't a problem then it doesn't need to even be pointed out, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I respect your perspective and don't think you're coming across as unpolite or disrespectful (frankly, I don't think any of us who've engaged in this discussion today are),
I can certainly try harder!

Jokes aside, I agree, this has gone better than expected. Everybody gets a free Tab. They're almost gone, y'know.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #42
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You know good & well what I mean. Shipping, OC's, weird stuff that goes against what came before, etc. It was a dismissive blanket term to use, I'll grant you that.

I love "taking a breather" in comics & other works of media, especially with TMNT. Standalone stories that are introspective & character driven are the very foundation of TMNT, as they were Mirage's greatest strength & what makes the characters so relatable. But back then, the themes surrounding their age & identity were more broad, & poignant, whereas now it's channeled through petty interpersonal beefs, hitting the city for punk shows, falling for college girls, etc. That's not the "teen" part anyone should ever hone in on. The Mirage turtles ate hummus pockets, walked around in the nude, & were cooler than cool without having to fit anyone's mold. Now, with the outfits, motorcycle bullies, heart-throbs, it's trying a bit too hard, & feels like a John Hughes movie, with the heavy handed self-discovery & smoochy stuff.

It's very self indulgent in that it feels like Campbell's idealization rather than what the organic direction was or would have otherwise been. As a fan work, I'd be all for it, but not as the continuation of this series, whose identity was, as far as I'm concerned, very different from where we are now. I'm a big fan of Sophie's art work, always have been, but I think their creative control on a whole is a bit too much. I can't see much of what once was, in this, anymore. From what I've seen of other series' she worked on, it's a pattern. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've probably been or will be unintentionally disrespectful along the way, & if I've offended her in the process, I'm sorry. She knows I've long been a supporter, we used to chit-chat a bit, & I even made my own cringey fan comic years ago directly inspired by her style & Northampton arc. It's just tough to feel a complete disconnect with something I've held dear, knowing that if I voice my opinion, not only will the official staff see it & feel contempt, but that my view points will also be seen as baseless "negativity" & thrown in the bin as some kind of alt-right derivative. That goes for anything, nowadays, I guess.

As for a more general, bullet-point style breakdown of what puts me off, here goes:

-Radical design changes
-Tons of OC's out of no-where
-Too much importance assigned to said OC's
-For example adding ANOTHER new, female turtle, who is apparently now about to be some sort of bad-ass time traveling savior, going by January solicits
-Melodramatic, drawn out dialogue
-Lots & lots of crying
-Most of the cast getting paired up with a love interest (shipping)
-Overall very soft & "furry" feel
-Emphasis on female empowerment
-Goth concert shenanigans
-Too many mutants, taking away what makes the TMNT unique (this was already a problem but now it's ridiculous)
-Issues that low-key parallel the modern American social/political climate (would rather escape this stuff than be reminded)
-TMNT going about in 'public', leading 'normal' lives

While that may be the case for some, it's not for me. I've been rocking this Rise avatar for like two years, c'mon, 'nuff said. I champion that, The Next Mutation, Super-Mutant Legend, & Soul's Winter more than most people do. I love change, just not this change.

Generally speaking, I prefer self-containment over serialization, hangouts over action, so the shift from action to character building doesn't bother me at all. It's a TMNT mainstay, everyone knows that. Other than one guy, I've not really seen people make a fuss about the lack of "ninja stuff" but rather the same things I'm bugged by.

Complaints about fan-work tropes & brush-ups with identity politics have never really come up until this arc, don't act like that's a recurring theme when the combat stops. It's people like you, saying that any opinion you deem unkind is purely 'buzzwords' or 'vitriolic' or when it isn't, that prompts actual vitriol to come out, though I think even the harshest opinions have thus far been presented civilly, barring the exception of TommyT, who was banned months ago.

Also, I find it really interesting that you roll your eyes at us & dismiss these viewpoints when you haven't touched the book in Heaven knows how long & lack the proper context. Plus, you're not without bias, as you yourself are a self-confessed furry.
Like it or not TMNT needs to go in a direction where it has to constantly evolve and not be stuck in the same tired old clichés.

I love the amount of world building this comic is doing.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

.........And then we have people who speak often, yet consistently say nothing at all of consequence.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #44
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
.........And then we have people who speak often, yet consistently say nothing at all of consequence.
Yeah... Usually what stops me from calling him out all the time is that I'm tired of seeing him spew forth these empty staments...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #45
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'd like to ask all the post-#100 naysayers to take a good, long look at that cover. It's called "build-up" for a reason.

Also, the way all the characters behind Lita are presented makes me think they're dead in her future.
Slow burn isn’t for everyone (I say this as someone loves a good slow burn story) but not everyone has the patience to wait 12 + months for a satisfying conclusion .
Old 10-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #46
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
So I've done some hunting around and I can't find anything on the Best of Michelangelo collection that's supposed to be before the Leonardo issue above, which the cover number and description indicate is #4 of 4.
It's also odd that the Leo issue is releasing two months after the Don issue which in turn is two months after the Raph issue, so the bi-monthly pattern is continuing.
I don't know if it's got something to do with the Mike macro also being in the Volume 12 hardback which is also releases in January, but the Leo Macro is going to be in it too.
The solicitations for Leonardo indicating it will be the last in the "Best of" are incorrect. Also incorrect is the Leo cover image showing #4. Leo will actually be issue #3 and Michelangelo will be #4, planned for March.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:02 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

(Delete, not sure why this happened)
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

For me, IDW TMNT in a pinch:

I gave them my trust to start with. Started OK. Figured maybe they'd integrate this or that. No biggie (who knows? Maybe they can make a badass Krang while staying away from the other camp stuff). Then wham... the bandannas around #5. But even then that wasn't a killswitch. I kept reading. But more and more it seemed to confirm what I feared early on -- that it was going to become jambalaya that would increasingly favor like the Fred Wolf kind of take.

Which isn't to say there is bad writing here. These are all awesome people. It's just not for me. Without the Nickelodeon bicycle assists/handicap... maybe I'd be deep into it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #49
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Oh now I get it. What is turning you off is the lack of real violence?
Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I'm getting.
I think that's a fair point since I don't remember the last time an iteration of TMNT was really bloody violent. When there was blood it was really light.
The number of time IDW TMNT was really getting gory was always hidden in the shadow or cut with a well thought layout.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #50
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

TMNT to me wasn't always about the violence. Its more about the characters. The violent stuff is just second nature to me.

I been desensitized by the violence you see on TV and the movies that it no longer affects me. So I enjoy the parts of TMNT that are character driven.

I'm fine with a little bit of violence here and there. But when it becomes excessive its too much for me to handle especially when it gets really gory.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #51
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

If we were allowed to have the Turtles kill, I would absolutely have them be murdering fools left and right. I've done a lot of gore and dismemberment and blood & guts in my comics over the years, sometimes it sucks I can't bring that to TMNT but it is what it is. TMNT isn't ABOUT violence, per se, so there's a lot of other probably more worthwhile stuff to dig into working on the book (like crying and feelings), but it sure would be fun to have Leo slice off an arm or two or Raph gouge out some eyeballs.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #52
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
If we were allowed to have the Turtles kill, I would absolutely have them be murdering fools left and right. I've done a lot of gore and dismemberment and blood & guts in my comics over the years, sometimes it sucks I can't bring that to TMNT but it is what it is. TMNT isn't ABOUT violence, per se, so there's a lot of other probably more worthwhile stuff to dig into working on the book (like crying and feelings), but it sure would be fun to have Leo slice off an arm or two or Raph gouge out some eyeballs.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #53
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
TMNT isn't ABOUT violence, per se,
Well, it kinda was from the beginning with the first issue of Mirage. It sure as changed over time. Especially with the Fred Wolf cartoon.
I kinda wonder why they just cant let the comics go more the violent way and keep the cartoons clean. I mean, they still publish the old TMNT comics with the violent parts with no disclaimer.
So if some parents ended up finding too much blood in those old comics, IDW would just say something like: "oh those are old comics, we didnt have anything to do with them." (But you ARE republishing them...). I just cant seem to grasp them.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #54
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
Well, it kinda was from the beginning with the first issue of Mirage. It sure as changed over time. Especially with the Fred Wolf cartoon.
I kinda wonder why they just cant let the comics go more the violent way and keep the cartoons clean. I mean, they still publish the old TMNT comics with the violent parts with no disclaimer.
So if some parents ended up finding too much blood in those old comics, IDW would just say something like: "oh those are old comics, we didnt have anything to do with them." (But you ARE republishing them...). I just cant seem to grasp them.
Even in Mirage #1 it was about things beyond just the violence, like revenge, loss, etc. There was other stuff going on that accompanied or propelled the violence.

Yeah I don't quite get the disparity with re-publishing the Mirage material, either, I'm not sure where the line is drawn. You'd have to ask Nickelodeon.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #55
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Even in Mirage #1 it was about things beyond just the violence, like revenge, loss, etc. There was other stuff going on that accompanied or propelled the violence.

Yeah I don't quite get the disparity with re-publishing the Mirage material, either, I'm not sure where the line is drawn. You'd have to ask Nickelodeon.
My best guess is that it's bad look to come across like you want to "bury" the source material, especially when there might be a demand for it. The new comics are probably an easier story, children might be more likely end up buying them instead of 50$ reprints.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #56
hypered1
Hench Mutant

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't IDW TMNT technically aimed at a teen market which is what Nickelodeon's older demographic has always been?
Up to this point, the content of the series has been pretty much what you'd expect to see in a PG-13 film.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #57
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

We never seen any of the Turtles swearing. You'll never see them dropping any F bombs even though teenagers tend to do in RL.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #58
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
We never seen any of the Turtles swearing. You'll never see them dropping any F bombs even though teenagers tend to do in RL.
I've been trying to push the envelope on profanity but it's tough going, haha. I'd love to have Raph with a foul mouth.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #59
hypered1
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I've been trying to push the envelope on profanity but it's tough going, haha. I'd love to have Raph with a foul mouth.
I'm pretty sure there's been at least a couple of instances of cursing in the series, albeit in a censored fashion with symbols replacing the word itself.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #60
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
I'm pretty sure there's been at least a couple of instances of cursing in the series, albeit in a censored fashion with symbols replacing the word itself.
I find that annoying, at least be a little more creative with the symbols. Here's an example of when someone is actually taking advantage of the limitations:

This one at least adds some flare to it.
Hahahaha!