The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

How would you rank(best to worst) the different TMNT incarnations?

I apologize if this has been done before, but I have looked at the last 4 pages of both this section and the comics section and couldn't find it. But I am genuinely curious how everyone would rank the different TMNT incarnations(comics, tv series', and movies). I'm placing my rankings based mostly on personal enjoyment, but also how well I think it takes care of plot and character development...

TMNT 2003 series: I was nearly 19 when this series began. I loved the more serious take on the show and that it was closer to the source material(even though when the series had started I barely knew anything about it). Same as it Never Was is among my favorite episodes of any TMNT series.

IDW series: I personally really love the re-incarnation angle. Krang is portrayed as a far more serious threat than he is in the FW show, and even the 2K12 show. My wife is reading this series now and really enjoying it so far.

Mirage series: It was probably about 1993 or so when I first discovered the source material. I had my parents buy me a hardback collection(the first 7 issues I think). I remember really liking it, although I was confused about the Turtles killing people. Since the trade collections have come out under IDW, I have bought all of them up to this point. Aside from a lot of the "guest" issues, it's generally pretty high quality stuff. Although my own personal enjoyment with it is a bit low. I've read all of Volume 1 and some of 2. Nothing with Volume 4 and most of Tales yet.

2K12 series: Aside from Casey and that it suffers a bit from plot amnesia, this show is pretty well done for the most part. My wife's personal favorite incarnation(she's also seen the FW series, 2003 series, and all the movies at this point)

FW series: This is where it all started for me. I don't really remember specifics, but in the summer of 1989 a friend of mine brought some Turtle toys over and we played a bit with them. I started watching soon after. This quickly became my personal favorite cartoon(beating out DuckTales and Chip 'n Dale at the time) and I stuck with it until it ended. Loved that it became more serious during the "Red Sky" seasons. I had about a third of the episodes either owned or recorded before it came out on DVD.

Archie series: My first exposure with the Turtle comic books.

original movie series(1-4): TMNT III is my personal favorite.

Image series: I only read 3 of them but I really enjoyed them and eagerly awaiting it to be released in trade.

Bayturtles: Ok, I will admit to liking these to a certain extant and that the 2nd one is better by far. But there are just so many things wrong with them it's not even funny. Vernon in this version is by far the better of his 2 incarnations at least.

Next Mutation: For awhile, I couldn't decide whether to put this one at the bottom or Bayturtles. But honestly, this one would be the most challenge to watch when I start my TMNT marathon next year. There were some, I consider, great ideas that were poorly executed. Venus being one of them.

I know that some of you might consider a couple of these incarnations to be part of either the original movie series(Next Mutation) or Mirage(Image), but I consider them different enough that they're their own thing.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only two I didn't like or care for was Bayturtles and Next Mutation, everything else is good to various degrees with me.

It's hard to rank them because I like each for completely different reasons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

I definitely understand that. I have problems with ranking them too, but the order I placed is pretty accurate for the moment.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Well in not much of a particular order and mostly without bothering to argue why (because I don't want to think too hard on this and I want to keep the size of this post down, if you want to know my arguments just ask me):
  1. IDW and Mirage land on top of the list, leaning towards IDW being on the top.
  2. 4kids, the first movie and the fourth movie land in the second tier, leaning towards 4Kids being on the top here and the first movie being on the bottom.
  3. Archie and the Nickelodeon cartoon land in the third tier, leaning towards the Nickelodeon cartoon being on the top here.
  4. Second movie lands in the fourth tier on it's own.
  5. Third movie and first PD movie are in the fifth tier, hard to really feel my joy about either but I guess the PD movie is less boring despite all the flaws.
  6. The second PD movie and the FW cartoon land at the bottom, one makes my blood boil the other just bores and occasionally annoys me. I'm just just gonna put the second PD movie above the FW cartoon because I'd rather be angry for two hours than bored for seventy.

Next Mutation, Image, Dreamwave and the stage show falls into the "I don't have enough experience with them to judge" category.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Mirage/First movie
4Kids/movies 2 and 3/Season 1 of Fred Wolf
IDW
Platinum Dunes
The rest of Fred Wolf
TNM

I haven't really read the Image comic, so I can't rate it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Interesting ... let's try this.

1990 film
Mirage
2K3 Series
FW Cartoon
IDW
Nick
1991 film
1993 film
TNM

....literary anything else....

Platinum Dunes
Old 07-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I really just like IDW
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Mirage/Image
Original film universe
Nicktoon/Vintage Playmates universe (tie)
OT
4kids
Next Mutation
IDW
Archie
TMNT (2007 film)
Musical video series

Only the first 3 are concrete rankings. The rest you could kinda switch around without making too much of a difference.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Ask me today and my list looks like this but ask me in a week and it could be slightly different.

second movie
first movie
Archie comics
Original toon
IDW
Nick toon
2007 movie
Mirage
*Bayturtles

*only makes the list because I like some of the toy line
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
joshvox
Random Punk

Thought I'd make my first post here a reply to this topic. Thanks for having me.

#1 Mirage Volume One. Some of the best story lines I've ever seen in any sort of fiction.

#2 IDW. Some lows, but so many highs.

#3 1990 Movie. I still find it amazing that we got a movie of this quality. Especially considering the follow-ups.

#4 FW. A lot of fun and a lot of garbage. But I might not be a fan today without it.

#5 Nick. Waaay too many monster of the weeks, but I am often pleasantly surprised by the quality of this show.

#6 TMNT movie. Such an odd choice for a movie but I liked it.

#7 All other movies. Some good memories of Ooze and III, but they are just poor efforts. I will watch the Bay movies occasionally, but Peter Laird says they aren't really ninja turtle movies and I think he'd know.

I'm behind on cartoons so I haven't seen much of the 4kids show yet. Finishing up Nick first. Never seen next mutation. I'd like to read the Image books and more of the other volumes of the comics.
joshvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Let's see:

1: Fred Wolf Series/4kids Series--I have to rank these two together because honestly, I like them both about the same and they are the version I revisit the most. I like the characterization in the Fred Wolf Series and I'm fond of the wacky out-there adventures but I also love the more epic and darker tales in the 4kids series. I have my gripes with each series but I also have my joys so they are tied in my mind.

2: Original Movies 1-3--I probably watch Movie 2 the most but I love Movie 1 and Movie 3 as well. If I HAD to rank the movies, the first one is probably the best and 2 and 3 I would tie. Yes, 3 has its problem but I do enjoy it, especially since Mike gets a bit of a character arc in it.

3: Archie--Still catching up on some of these but these really took what I loved about the Fred Wolf series and evolved it into a more mature storyline, though without getting TOO dark. It introduced some great characters and I can't wait to get the rest of it.

4: TMNT--This just doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the movies so I rank it by itself. I love the animation here but unless you're Raph or Leo, you're kinda pushed to the sidelines which I never like. Likewise, I felt Leo came off as a pompous ass in this one.

5: NICK Series--I'm iffy on the Nick series. Some episodes are amazing but some are just down right horrible. I'm still not a fan of the animation style though I've gotten used to it. Season 5 has actually been my favorite season thus far. The way they write Mike in this series just bothers me, given he's my favorite.

6: IDW--I've only read a little of these but I did like the mixed elements. However, it almost works to its disadvantage at times where the stories almost feel crowded. However, since I have only read a few of these, this might change as I read more.

7: PD Movies--I definitely prefer the second one. I view these as an interesting idea that could have been done well had they had better writers. There is some interesting "starting" points here and I have to admit, there were a few scenes in the second one that I really enjoyed. First one, I liked once the turtles were introduced. I still can't see Megan Fox as April O'Neil. That's not April; that Megan Fox.

8: COOTS/Next Mutation-- COOTS is utterly cheesy but you know, I don't mind a bit of cheese now and then. It's not something I would watch routinely but given how high the turtle mania was when it came out, I can forgive it. And some of those songs will stick in my head. Next Mutation I give points for having some interesting ideas that just weren't executed well.

9: Mirage--Okay, first off, no, I don't think Mirage is bad. It has some great storylines and obviously, it started everything but it just isn't for me. I really can't even tell you why. It's just never sucked me in like the other incarnations have.

I've never read Image so I can't give any impression on that.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

There should be a special prison for the people who rank Mirage lower than the Platinum Dunes movies.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
There should be a special prison for the people who rank Mirage lower than the Platinum Dunes movies.
Yes and in said prison this would be the standard rehabilitation program. Only I couldn't find bayturtles so bayformers will have to suffice.

TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 AM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
Let's see:

1: Fred Wolf Series/4kids Series--I have to rank these two together because honestly, I like them both about the same and they are the version I revisit the most. I like the characterization in the Fred Wolf Series and I'm fond of the wacky out-there adventures but I also love the more epic and darker tales in the 4kids series. I have my gripes with each series but I also have my joys so they are tied in my mind.

2: Original Movies 1-3--I probably watch Movie 2 the most but I love Movie 1 and Movie 3 as well. If I HAD to rank the movies, the first one is probably the best and 2 and 3 I would tie. Yes, 3 has its problem but I do enjoy it, especially since Mike gets a bit of a character arc in it.

3: Archie--Still catching up on some of these but these really took what I loved about the Fred Wolf series and evolved it into a more mature storyline, though without getting TOO dark. It introduced some great characters and I can't wait to get the rest of it.

4: TMNT--This just doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the movies so I rank it by itself. I love the animation here but unless you're Raph or Leo, you're kinda pushed to the sidelines which I never like. Likewise, I felt Leo came off as a pompous ass in this one.

5: NICK Series--I'm iffy on the Nick series. Some episodes are amazing but some are just down right horrible. I'm still not a fan of the animation style though I've gotten used to it. Season 5 has actually been my favorite season thus far. The way they write Mike in this series just bothers me, given he's my favorite.

6: IDW--I've only read a little of these but I did like the mixed elements. However, it almost works to its disadvantage at times where the stories almost feel crowded. However, since I have only read a few of these, this might change as I read more.

7: PD Movies--I definitely prefer the second one. I view these as an interesting idea that could have been done well had they had better writers. There is some interesting "starting" points here and I have to admit, there were a few scenes in the second one that I really enjoyed. First one, I liked once the turtles were introduced. I still can't see Megan Fox as April O'Neil. That's not April; that Megan Fox.

8: COOTS/Next Mutation-- COOTS is utterly cheesy but you know, I don't mind a bit of cheese now and then. It's not something I would watch routinely but given how high the turtle mania was when it came out, I can forgive it. And some of those songs will stick in my head. Next Mutation I give points for having some interesting ideas that just weren't executed well.

9: Mirage--Okay, first off, no, I don't think Mirage is bad. It has some great storylines and obviously, it started everything but it just isn't for me. I really can't even tell you why. It's just never sucked me in like the other incarnations have.

I've never read Image so I can't give any impression on that.
Mirage below the stage show, Next Mutation and the Platinum Dunes movies, while IDW's comics rank right above them but below the Archie comic and literally all of the other movies...

...That's an unusual opinion to say the least, I know the Archie comic has it's defenders but it's odd to see someone rank it (along with TMNT III and the PD movies) higher than the two more critically acclaimed comics...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

The best issues of Mirage are the best of anything, but the rest of Mirage is just kinda there. As I said, the second volume of Tales has 70 issues and less than half of them are really memorable or important. Volume 2 and 4 also stretched out simple plotlines over multiple issues instead of telling a condensed story in half the time.

Still nothing beats Mirage #1-11, Return to New York, or City at War.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #16
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Well, I recognize my opinion is unusual. Though, I would like to reinterate that I ranked them based on personal enjoyment and how often I revisit them and not necessarily on which ones had the better plot/characters etc. For a franchise, if I'm ranking best to least best, that's generally how I rank it--rewatch/reread value.

I completely agree that Mirage has some of the best storylines but for whatever reason, I could never get into it. I'm not sure if it's the writing style or the tone or what but I just couldn't enjoy it as much as the others. It may be the overall buttersweetness of it; I've never been a fan of realistically sad endings.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote