The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Corona deaths have now surpassed 1 million people worldwide

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Technically it most likely passed a million deaths awhile ago since we know some countries like China, Russia, India and North Korea aren't accurately reporting deaths. But this is more or less an estimate.

More than 1 million people are now dead worldwide. Kinda crazy a new disease could pop out of nowhere in less than a year and claim over a million lives.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

And now, the "official" story says that the virus is mutating to the point where masks and social distancing have no effect. "If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it, there's literally nothing you can do."

The Bad: There's nothing we can do.

The Good: If there's literally nothing we can do either way, can we please put the overabundance of "precaution" to bed? Hopefully.

You can't "stop" a virus. You never could. It's like when you go to the doctor and they say they can't give you anything, it has to run its course.

The only way forward is to lift the shackles, go back to normal as best we can, let those who want to mask up do so, and let the chips fall where they may. If the virus has mutated to the point where masks don't help, what then? Hazmat suits? How about NO?

People are gonna die no matter what anyone Does or Doesn't do. C'est la vie.

Also, another recent study strongly suggests that smoking cigarettes, taking opiate medication, and being a cocaine user are all highly contributing factors to whether you display the most severe symptoms and/or end up dying.

SO, let's see... don't smoke, don't be a cokehead, don't be a junkie, don't be a fatass, and you'll PROBABLY be perfectly fine, says "The Data"? I like those odds.

Enough Is Enough. Personally I'd love to go back to work someday. And I'd love to do so without having to dress like a goddamn spaceman on account of someone who doesn't take care of themselves is afraid of catching a cough.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 09-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Some interesting reads out there about cigarette smoking and COVID. It doesn't inherently make you more at risk:

https://www.rehabs.com/pro-talk/does...inst-covid-19/

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-27-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I've also read many that say it absolutely does increase the risk. And still others that say smoking marijuana "protects" you from it. Which I doubt, but if true, means I'm virtually bulletproof.

But that's the thing. With such an abundance of conflicting information, is it any wonder why people don't trust what they read? Whatever they see today will be contradicted tomorrow.

Common sense is common sense. Wash your hands and don't let anyone cough on you, and you should be alright. The rest of this is just... well, "Overkill" is being too polite.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
ABrown
Banned

So the actual number is somewhere around 60,000 since only six percent of the deaths are actually caused by covid.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You can't "stop" a virus. You never could.
Quote:
People are gonna die no matter what anyone Does or Doesn't do. C'est la vie.
Quote:
Common sense is common sense. Wash your hands and don't let anyone cough on you, and you should be alright.
So, after all, there IS something that can stop the virus from spreading further and it's called common sense. People are NOT gonna die if you do your part and behave accordingly.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
So the actual number is somewhere around 60,000 since only six percent of the deaths are actually caused by covid.
Pre-existing conditions usually contribute to the people who get covid to pass rather than recover.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
And now, the "official" story says that the virus is mutating to the point where masks and social distancing have no effect
I read that too and I wanted to go slap the manipulator who wrote it. Stating that the virus is evolving to defeat masks is a manipulation on how these things evolve that is mean to terrify and scare people who have a lowest common denominator thinking about these things and it's infuriating.

Basically it's assigning an intelligence value to a virus as if it strategically discovered that we were wearing masks and is taking action on it's own to overcome this in it's "attack" on humanity. This is not how these things work.

The whole thing regarding how that nuance was delivered and reported is another sign of the real problems in society nowadays. People are more educated than ever but stopped their education on the cusp of understanding. So instead of real information people are just pencil whipping the easiest ideas that they "learned" somewhere. Ironically, this greater rate of education has actually created people that are actually dumber than they have ever been. "Duhhjhhh durp viruses do da evolve! I learnt this so dis means durp that they do da evolve to beat the masks next cuz dey evolve!"
Old 09-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I personally don't take much stock in any of it. There's been too much conflicting information since the beginning and it all changes by the day. Nobody knows what's "really" going on with this situation. Y'know who knows? China, who started it. The guys in the lab over in Wuhan know what the deal is because they made the damn thing, everyone else is just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
So, after all, there IS something that can stop the virus from spreading further and it's called common sense. People are NOT gonna die if you do your part and behave accordingly.
Nonsense. Every year, millions of people get colds or flu despite washing their hands and doing their best to avoid people and germs. That doesn't mean "don't wash your hands" of course, but it does mean, "When it's your turn, it's Your Turn" and it's ultimately not in your hands. You can never smoke in your life and still get lung cancer. You definitely shouldn't smoke, BUT you still might be f*cked anyway.

Everyone should be washing their hands and trying not to cough on people. That's common sense and common courtesy, and we all should be doing that ANYway, pandemic or no.

But the masks and the shutdowns are all just as "effective" as airport security. It's theater. "The Illusion Of Safety". If your "destiny" is to get sick, then you're gonna get sick. Whether it's Corona or Cancer. That's Life. Sometimes people do everything right and they STILL get sick and die.

Therefore, it needs to be about Personal Choice. Let people who want to walk on eggshells stay home in their bubble wrap cocoons and pretend that germs stop at their front door. We've done all we can do and supposedly it didn't work. I'm not putting on a goddamn space suit to go to work, in the unlikely event I ever actually find a job again. It's horse sh*t.

If masks actually work, it's enough that YOU wear one. I shouldn't have to anymore if I don't feel like it. "Better safe than sorry, therefore everyone has no choice?" Those people wear condoms to masturbate, I promise you.

I wash my hands, and I don't get close to people. That's common sense, and that's plenty. We are not going to "beat" this thing by hiding from it. Viruses don't "disappear", people gradually develop immunity. Which requires exposure. Avoiding exposure weakens resistance.

Nothing about the way this situation was handled after the first month has been correct. Once it turned out that most people who get it don't even display any symptoms, then that's it, show's over, Back to Work. I feel bad for the unfortunate ones who actually suffer and die from it but again, That Is Life. Every now and then there's a purging fire and the sick and the weak die off. So it's been for the entirety of human history.

There's such a thing as compassion overriding common sense and simple logic. And that's what's been going on. "But people MIGHT get sick and die!" Yeah, some. Most won't. "Needs of the many, etc. etc." And the "Needs of the many" are to go back to work, because most people's unemployment benefits are gonna run out before Christmas.

And then you're REALLY gonna see some sh*t.

People can get mad if they want, this is The Way It Is. We tried it "Their Way" and all it did was wipe a bunch of people out financially. Barely made a dent in the virus. Time to switch gears.

Also... anybody else think it's "interesting" that so many areas have various restrictions marked in place until Election Day? C'mon. Pay attention.

The government's never cared about whether or not people die. Not even the Democrats, I hate to tell you. They Don't Care. It's never been about "public safety". This is about conditioning people to accept UBI as a way of life. That's all its ever been about. "Stay Home, Stay Poor, Stay Afraid, and Wait For Your Check. We Own You." That's been Endgame since Day One.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #11
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
???????????
Old 09-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #12
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

also fyi i am fighting covid right now...... **** sucks......
Old 09-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Hang in there buddy.

I've briefly wondered a few times if I had it at any point, but I live with three other people and nobody's had any issues so I guess I probably didn't or I certainly would have passed it to them, and two of them are older and ex-smokers so they'd definitely have symptoms if they caught it.

I had a bad lingering cough in Feb./March that hung around for weeks and I sometimes felt a bit feverish, but I never missed any work and nobody around me got sick at all either at home or at work, so I guess it was just my body adjusting to the weather change a bit more harshly than usual. But when all the news started coming out at that time I did start to wonder and worry a bit. Then one day it just vanished. But if what they say is true, I doubt I had COVID or else these other people here absolutely would have gotten visibly sick, or at least one would assume they would.

Like two weeks ago when the temperature dropped sharply from high 80s every day to high 60s with no transition, I started waking up really scratchy and bringing up a lot of mucous. And every time that happens, I admit, I'm like "Ahhhh, crap." But nah, just the weather. So far, at least. But damn if this whole thing doesn't have me second guessing every cough that comes with a prize, now.

((Knocks Wood))

Old 09-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like everyone is dropping like flies in your state, Leo.

https://www.app.com/story/news/healt...se/3566475001/
Old 09-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

That's a bit south of us, I live in Middlesex County. Actually, if the state of NJ were arranged like a dartboard, I'd live pretty much in the center of the bullseye.

Again, most of the people I talk to on FB also live in NJ and nobody I know of has caught it or knows anyone who has. Very weird. Zero in real life, too.

Once more, they can report whatever numbers they want but if it doesn't match what people see in front of their face, they're not going to believe it's the truth. NJ is small but very densely populated, and everyone is wondering where these supposed stats are coming from. "You know anyone?" "Nah, you?" "Nah." "....Then how is everybody dying?" "I'unno."

Obviously there's bound to have been a few cases, but that many? I'm gonna say "Nah." There'd be more chatter.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Not that there needs to be another coronavirus topic but you guys seriously need to stop downplaying it. You guys seem like smart people. You cannot possibly believe the numbers are drastically off or it’s part of some election conspiracy.

It was already a big problem in China before spreading. The outbreak starting in March is clearly not enough time. 5-6 months is all we’re gonna put effort towards something like this? That’s funny but sad.

When there’s a legitimate vaccine things will gradually return to normal. Not after the election or when the calendar turns to 2021. I wonder what the conspiracy would have been if there’s was no election.

It really seems like you’re only saying this because it’s inconvenienced you. Which is understandable but everyone has been inconvenienced. Movies and entertainment don’t count.

Wearing a mask and such is up to the individual I guess but complaining about it is whiny. Saying it does not matter because “it’s you’re fate” is a horrible attitude in general. No they don’t guarantee safety but precautions exist for a reason.

For the record I found out today a cousin of mine and his family had it and were sick for a month. The “do you actually know anyone” argument is ridiculous. I don’t know anyone who drives a Ferrari either. See how silly that sounds?

You cannot downplay the WORLD telling us there’s a problem. The numbers might be inaccurate. As in not exact but around there. Information changes because everything happened so fast. Who was supposed to be a coronavirus expert by now? It takes years just to become a doctor.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
You cannot possibly believe the numbers are drastically off or it’s part of some election conspiracy.
C'mon, sure I do! I absolutely believe both of those things, far more than I believe that half of my state is keeling over and we all just haven't gotten The Memo about it yet. I'm sure all the perfectly healthy people walking around would be tickled to know that they're ACTUALLY falling down like dominos, because that's what the TV and the computer says. C'mon.

Me no-selling the situation because I don't personally know anyone dealing with it, and you over-selling it because you know a couple people who are, are just opposite sides of the same coin. You're gonna call what you see, as will I, as will anyone. And that's fine. I respect people saying, "Here's what's happening in front of my face" even if it conflicts with what I'm seeing and saying Over Here. I do NOT respect people blindly believing everything they see on MSNBC or the internet. Or Fox News, for that matter. When you turn on your TV or click on your internet machine, you're paying people to lie to you. Bottom line. They're selling you a product. In this case, the product is Fear, and it comes conveniently wrapped in a little face mask that may as well be stamped with the words "I Believe Anything Anyone Tells Me."

I'll believe the Boogeyman is on my doorstep when I actually see it. What I see instead is a bunch of people walking around with no masks on for 4+ months and not a single one of them getting sick. Surely their number would've come up by NOW. Where does the Magical Virus stop being spooky and dangerous? The edge of Middlesex County? The parking lot of the flea market? The entrance to my cul de sac? Is the virus afraid of my "Beware Of Dog" sign? Seriously, like WHY is nobody at all within a 20-minute drive of where I live getting sick if it's so easy to catch and people aren't wearing masks as much as they should? My wife has family in the Carolinas, and even THEY say that the situation where they live is being trumped up by the media. Oh, they're taking basic common sense precautions, same as regular flu season. Wash your hands, don't get coughed on, don't share a glass. Simple. But on TV it's supposedly that everyone is getting infected and keeling over and for the most part, except for the big cities, that simply is not what's really happening in my and MANY people's experience. And it makes sense that it would travel faster and easier in cities because cities are filthy and people don't practice basic hygiene there. Just like of course it's going to affect people with respiratory issues or drug problems, because their systems are already overtaxed. But not all situations are equal.

All I or anyone who thinks in a similar fashion as I do is saying, is that the entire situation at this point is like trying to swat flies with a bazooka. Is there a virus out there? Sure! Is the media describing the situation accurately? Absolutely not. They're using scare tactics to get people socially conditioned to UBI in the event their preferred candidate wins the election. That's all it is. It'll be a much easier sell to convince people, "Never leave your house again, we'll pay you half of what you were earning (or less) to just stay home, forever!" if they've already been conditioned to living that way for months (or years) the way we are now. You gotta look at the Big Picture. A bunch of ideas these same people were pushing last year, only to be told "That's lunacy, you're outta your damn mind" by MOST Americans, all of a sudden don't look crazy at all. "SURE, pay me to sit at home, that's what I'm stuck doing anyways." And of course, it's a lot easier to get and keep people on government assistance when their entire industry simply doesn't exist anymore and they have no jobs to go back to anyway.

It's attrition. Drag the situation out, wear people down, and eventually, they'll be too exhausted to give a sh*t and you can pass anything you want by them. That's how it went in Cuba, Venezuela, and a bunch of other countries that tried Socialism only to have their people flee to America because their country sucks so bad thanks to all those "Sounded good on paper" bleeding-heart policies like UBI that did nothing but bankrupt their infrastructure. The Left-leaning in government want UBI. Most people didn't want it. NOW, they don't have any choice. Dots are right there, connect 'em.

"The World" got over the virus in a few weeks because they don't have a big nasty election this year with a bunch of "Anybody But This Guy" loons on TV who've hitched their cart to a child-sniffing loony-toon as our only hope of survival. You gotta look at the Big Picture, man. Sumac claims that over where he's at, they've pretty much licked it. I can't say that's true or false, but I'm not gonna call him a liar, either. I'm willing to at least entertain the notion that he's telling the truth even though I can't verify it, but I also wouldn't sign my name on it unless I saw it for myself. I just find it VERY suspect and convenient that in countries or areas that don't have a hate-boner for the Big Bad Orange Demon, the whole ordeal seems to have passed like rain with only a few lingering showers.

You're absolutely entitled to call the events you see around you with your own eyes, as am I. But I'm a worker, bro. Locker Room Rule #1: "Believe HALF of what you see and absolutely NONE of what you hear." I listen to what people say. But if it doesn't match what I see in front of my face, then out the window it goes. "Junk Mail". Bad Intel. I don't believe words on a screen and I don't listen to talking heads. Doesn't matter what "The Forecast" says; it might say "Severe Thunderstorms" on the TV, but if I look out my window and it's bone dry outside, guess who's right? Doesn't matter what the "official story" is; if it ain't raining, it ain't raining, period.

I feel bad for everyone who's sick and I feel bad for everyone who died. Just like people who get Cancer or the flu or anything, I wouldn't wish it on 'em. And I take basic common sense precautions to protect myself. But as trite and worn-out as it sounds, I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. And I'm way past over this sh*t. I probably will get it, out of Cosmic Spite, and it might even get bad. Oh friggin' Well, by this point, if it happens it happens. And if I get it and pass it to my wife? "Oh well, that's life" she says. It's not half as bad as losing the job I worked my ass off for 10 years and having no reasonable prospects for the future, all because a few people are terrified of some invisible Boogeyman that's leaving most people completely the hell alone.

I remember people trying to call out fo work because of Swine Flu, and I remember their bosses saying "Don't be stupid, get your ass in or get f*cked, I don't care." And a lot of people were dropping dead then, too. Probably more Then than Now. All that changed was the attitude. NOW everybody's got two vaginas and they're sitting around wrapping themselves in bubble wrap, waiting for some talking head on the idiot box to tell them it's "safe" to go outside. It's "safe" right now, just don't be a goddamn idiot about it and you'll be fine. And if you're not, Oh Well, you could've gotten sideswiped by a drunk driver or had a jet engine fall out of the sky and land on you. Sh*t Happens.

My entire adult life, I was afraid of my Dad dying, on account of he had a bad heart and didn't take care of himself at all, not even a little. I'd beg him to take care of himself so he wouldn't die young. And he always, ALWAYS said, "When your number's up, it's up. I might live to 100, I might get hit by a bus tomorrow. Either way... I'm fine with it. But I don't waste time worrying about it." And he definitely checked out way too early, but at the same time, I really admire that attitude, looking back on it now. He definitely would be laughing at all of this, were he still here. He'd tell them to stick their masks up their collective asses on account of "I'm too old for this bullsh*t." And he'd be in the highest of High-Risk category, on account of his heart and lungs. And he'd still be laughing at it. He pretty much laughed all the way to the grave any damn way. He may have been a putz, but he was never afraid of anything, not even getting sick and not even dying. And I have to say that as much as we butted heads and I wish he was still here, I still find that admirable.

"When it's your turn, It's Your Turn. Ain't sh*t you can do about it. No sense being Chicken Little." That's what he always taught me. And most of what he tried to teach me was garbage and bullsh*t. But THAT, I find, is very much valid.

But anyway. Call it as you see it from Over There, and I'll call it as I see it from Over Here. That's all I, you, or anyone can or should do. Look out the window and see for yourself. That's "real." Words on a screen are words on a screen. And it's mostly all just to scare people. Nothing new. Same As It Ever Was.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way. The "smartest" thing about me, I'd say, is that I refuse to let people throw numbers at me and lead me where they want me to go based on things I can't touch, taste, see or measure. If I see it, then it's real. Otherwise it's rumors and hearsay.

Last edited by Leo656; 09-29-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 AM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Forgot to mention: My Dad died of a common cold, by the way. More accurately, he died in his sleep after he caught a very mild cold and his heart seized one morning in mid-sleep cough around 6am, rather abruptly. "Oops". He was up an hour earlier walking around like everything was fine. See what I mean? See why I don't get so bent about any of this nonsense? You can do everything possible to avoid the Big Bad Wolf, and at the end of the day you just as well might get taken out by the sniffles. Why worry about it? It's Not In Your Hands. You can play it safe, and that's fine. But it's not up to you. You get a Birthday and a Death Day and neither of those things are your decision whatsoever. So don't waste time sweating the small stuff. You'll feel stupid if you go through all this panic over a virus and then keel over dead from a spider bite or some nonsense. What'd you accomplish in the meantime? It's silly.

Life is for Living. Not being afraid. That's my attitude and I won't waver nor apologize.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:20 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
When there’s a legitimate vaccine things will gradually return to normal. Not after the election or when the calendar turns to 2021.
Again, there's pretty good odds there never will be one. Where's the universal vaccine for the common cold? Or a flu vaccine that doesn't change every year? Or is the idea that every year we show up for our yearly, mandatory COVID vaccination for the latest strain (I'm sure that will go swimmingly)?

Earlier the CDC said COVID doesn't mutate and a vaccine is imminent... now -- apparently -- it is mutating like crazy? OK. So time to go back to work and less with the wishful thinking. It's been the better part of a year now.

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy at play as much as the left using their existing power to usher things to their favor... which is getting people used to the universal benefits and Green New Deal model. Since when they tried to trot it out proper it was laughed out of the hall. But with the aid of a "pandemic"? Different ballgame.

Like, let's by all means take basic safeguards to return to normal... but liberty isn't supposed to be safe. It never was. Not in this country.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-29-2020 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:32 AM   #20
Galactus
Foot Elite

Maybe I shouldn't comment on US politics but this comment though...

Quote:
It's attrition. Drag the situation out, wear people down, and eventually, they'll be too exhausted to give a sh*t and you can pass anything you want by them. That's how it went in Cuba, Venezuela, and a bunch of other countries that tried Socialism only to have their people flee to America because their country sucks so bad thanks to all those "Sounded good on paper" bleeding-heart policies like UBI that did nothing but bankrupt their infrastructure. The Left-leaning in government want UBI. Most people didn't want it. NOW, they don't have any choice. Dots are right there, connect 'em.
You really think a country whose majority of the liberal media and even the establishment of the Democrat party denounced Bernie Sanders as a far left radical and did everything to make sure he did not secure the nomination are suddenly going to advocate for Universal Basic Income?

I've heard some US politicians float the idea even on the Republican side I mean this is going to be with us for a while so some ideas have to be put forth to how people who can't work afford to eat but seriously neither major party is going to do anything like that.
Closed Thread