The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #21
Wesley
Mad Scientist

In Ireland, the OT was called Ninja Turtles and unedited until the name was changed to Hero Turtles starting with season 2. Maybe the Irish censors just started following the UK censors? Oddly enough, season 1 was placed between three and four, so I’d guess 2 was the first season to be aired on RTÉ Two.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I do always wonder however why other European countries censored the show like Germany. Did they have the 'ninja' ban as well?
In Sweden, the cartoon aired over TV 3 Sweden who had to air from London to avoid stupid Swedish government politicians. TV 3 Sweden was launched in December 1987 and from 1924–1925 until 1991, the public services of SR and SVT had monopoly on all radio and television in Sweden.

When the monopoly had been broken, Sweden instead banned advertising to children under 10 and Sweden in general had stricter television advertising laws. So TV 3 Sweden still aired from London to avoid it.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
He uses them in the Technodrome laundry in "The Dimension X Story".
I had no idea. Thanks for correcting me.

Quote:
In Sweden, the cartoon aired over TV 3 Sweden who had to air from London to avoid stupid Swedish government politicians.
From London? Do you mean through a dedicated TV station or from Sky One's DJ Kat Show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
In Ireland, the OT was called Ninja Turtles and unedited until the name was changed to Hero Turtles starting with season 2. Maybe the Irish censors just started following the UK censors?
That's interesting. I tend to think the change in Mikey's weapons was probably partly due to Fred Wolf realising the show was being produced around this time in Dublin where it was as you say already being censored.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Wesley
Mad Scientist

In 2007-2008, episodes were aired on RTÉ Two in their unedited US form, interestingly enough.

In addition to the usual edited stuff (Mikey’s nuchucks and the word ‘ninja’), Shredder saying in Get Shredder “Or your friends at Channel Six will be no more” and the closeup scene of one of Earth’s major cities burning in Turtles to the Second Power was cut. Don’t know about the other edited versions.

Just wanted to make a correction also. The OT was partially edited in Ireland until the second episode of season 2 (Mikey’s nuchucks were edited out, though the word ‘ninja’ was used). The show was fully edited after that.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #25
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
From London? Do you mean through a dedicated TV station or from Sky One's DJ Kat Show?
For many years, TV 3 Sweden had its headquarters and studios in London, while broadcasting towards Sweden, too avoid Swedish laws.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
For many years, TV 3 Sweden had its headquarters and studios in London, while broadcasting towards Sweden, too avoid Swedish laws.
Ah, that's interesting.

Quote:
Just wanted to make a correction also. The OT was partially edited in Ireland until the second episode of season 2 (Mikey’s nuchucks were edited out, though the word ‘ninja’ was used). The show was fully edited after that.
I can't remember if Season 1 edited out Mikey's weapons in the UK. Like I previously said I believe the episodes were shown on Sky One unedited at least for a while otherwise I wouldn't have known Mikey used nunchucks so obviously I would have to have seen them in the cartoon.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #27
Sumac
Banned

I think the first TMNT stuff have appeared here in Russia in about 1990. It were small books and toys, but without any packaging. 3rd channel have started to broadcast OT in 1991.
Turtles were extremely popular in Russia. Along with Disney afternoon cartoons, TMNT WERE the childhood for kids here.

OT was broadcasted by 3rd channel, the first commercial channel in USSR / Russia. The episodes were dubbed, though quality of the dub was not the best. I don't think there were any official home releases were available in 90s.

Only Archie's TMNT were published. But I am not sure how many of them. I know that they have been published up until Future Shark Trilogy.

I don't think getting official toys and merch was easy. There was only one official shop in Moscow and it was closed in the middle of the 90s. Other toy shops had plenty of bootlegs.

TMNT movies haven't been in cinemas at all.

Turtlemania went down somewhere in the middle of the 90s and was replaced with Pokemon and anime craze. OT series was broadcasted until season 7 on 3rd channel. In 2000 it was reborodcasted by another channel until season 9. Season 10 was never dubbed or translated into Russian and broadcasted on TV.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
Overlord

1 October 2012

Quote:
Don’t remember when ‘12 started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...ies)#Broadcast

1 October 2012