The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Bone: Coda by Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith will be working on a new "Bone" graphic novel set to be released this July: http://blog.boneville.com/post/14348...coming-in-july

Quote:
Ride along with the boys and their friend Bartleby the Baby Rat Creature as they brave the dangerous journey across the desert back to Boneville in their rickety cow cart. Written and drawn by creator Jeff Smith.
Also included in this new graphic novel is the complete text of The BONE Companion fully illustrated for the first time! Written by award winning comics historian Stephen Weiner, author of 101 Outstanding Graphic Novels, Faster than a Speeding Bullet: The Rise of the Graphic Novel, The Hellboy Companion, and The Will Eisner Companion.
All this plus rare behind the scenes photos & memories (find out what band Jeff listened to most while working; hint: there’s a hidden clue on the image above!), and an afterword by the author thanking the comics community and the readers, all add up to make this a truly special commemorative volume of BONE to add to your collection!

Read More: Jeff Smith Announces New 'Bone' Graphic Novel | http://comicsalliance.com/jeff-smith...ckback=tsmclip

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Ahhhhh! Super excited!
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Woah, NICE!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Bone was probably my first real hook into comics. And I'm a pretty big fan.

I have the nine Scholastic books, the Scholastic takes on the two spin offs ("Rose" and "Stupid Stupid Rat Tails"), the three-part novel "sequel" written by Stan Sneigoski (which is "meh"), six of the original issues, and The Art of Bone...as well as the first book in German. I still have the shirt I got for Christmas in 2009 (now out of stock), and my friend got my a Bartleby plush for last year's Christmas. My parents took me and my brothers out of school for a week one October in 2010-ish so we could go camping in Hocking Hill's, Ohio (near where my dad grew up), because they realized Old Man's Cave was a thing in Bone and in all the times we had been to Ohio to visit my dad's family, we had never gone to see any of the natural landmarks...like Old Man's Cave. And it was no wonder Jeff Smith wanted to include it as a holy site in Bone, because it was really neat.
What Utroms are to me now, Rat Creatures were to me in high school.

So when I say I'm excited, I say I'm excited!

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 04-29-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
TheSkeletonMan939

I remember there were plans for some sort of Bone film, and I guess I'm glad that hasn't really materialized. Not only is the comic almost flawless, and would require a very talented & dedicated team to bring that to the big screen, but what would probably happen is the studio would dumb it down to include fart jokes and stuff... because it's a cartoon and has to pander to the kiddies, right?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I had wondered what was happening with that. The original movie with Nickelodeon tanked in production, but I know there was another set of plans more recently, and I don't know what happened with those. Jeff Smith seemed pretty excited about it at the time.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
TheSkeletonMan939

He tried I think around the '90s (so, before the story was even over!) to get a Bone film started, and he HATED working with Nickelodeon. They were really excited about putting pop songs into the film, which Smith of course was entirely against.

Last I heard Smith had seen some CGI tests of the Red Dragon that he was pleased with, but I also remember him saying he'd only loosely be involved in a film since that wasn't his area in expertise... that worries me.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
He tried I think around the '90s (so, before the story was even over!) to get a Bone film started, and he HATED working with Nickelodeon. They were really excited about putting pop songs into the film, which Smith of course was entirely against.
I think they also wanted kids to play most of the characters, and tried to take things in directions away from where the main story was going.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I remember reading Bone, I am so glad a new graphic novel is in progress.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I only ever read the first TPB (Out from Boneville), but now I'm reading through the series in earnest. In the middle of "Rock Jaw."

Loving it. Great stuff. In a word, "charming."

Also...

STUPID, STUPID RAT CREATURES.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Yeah, the Bone series is amazing. I hope you enjoy the ending. I'd go into more detail, but, of course, don't want to spoil anything.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Yeah, the Bone series is amazing. I hope you enjoy the ending. I'd go into more detail, but, of course, don't want to spoil anything.
Just finishing the Ghost Circles and moving into the sacred burial ground of dragons.

Didn't see Briar's role at all. Loved it when Thorn said "We didn't have a nursemaid." Great cliffhanger ending to that issue...
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Huh.

Not what I hoped for the ending, but I guess it fits. Sigh. A satisfying ending, just not the ending I wanted.

Also, would've liked to see a little more of Mim versus everyone else at the end.

Oh, and the thing with Lucius... that ending makes sense. Poetic justice.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The last chapters are quite hectic.

I was only able to read the last few books before the scholastic release, because I got the complete black and white edition (1004 pages!). A friend replaced it for me because she couldn't rebind the original for me.

Personally, I was a little disappointed that the coda was mostly made up of a "how it was made" instead of a mini-book for one last adventure. It was just like a regular single chapter instead of a big story. Which was okay, I guess.