The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #101
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 5,190
Add a transgender actor to the diverse cast of Characters in this movie

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spide...-movie-a165911

Barack now becomes the first transgender actor to be cast in a big-budget superhero movie and opens the door for a more inclusive landscape moving forward.
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #102
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,250
Trying really hard to avoid spoilers. Is this one of those trailers that spells out the whole three act structure with bullet points?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #103
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,299
I used to think I was weird, because I genuinely don't give a crap about spoilers, find people who get genuinely upset about them to be insufferable, at times (anyone who cusses people out over it is a baby), and have almost always enjoyed movies just as much, if not more, when I already knew what to expect.

Then I read a bunch of studies that conclusively prove that 1. People actually hate being surprised, 2. People nonetheless love to insist that they're the minority who do like being surprised, and 3. People who go out of their way to avoid "spoilers" are almost always cranky about the entertainment they consume, for not being what they expected or wanted. So NOW I know that I'm actually the one doing it properly, while everyone else sets themselves up for disappointment.

I mean, it's whatever, I just think it's weird how seriously people take stuff like that, to the point where they won't even watch a trailer. What if the trailer looks like sh*t to you personally, and watching it would potentially save you from an unpleasant experience? Like, I ALMOST went to see "Homecoming", but then I watched the trailers, got a bad feeling, read the spoilers and decided (strongly) that what they were selling wasn't what I wanted. I could have gone out, blown money, and come home annoyed, but because the trailers already gave me a heads up, and I'm not "afraid" of spoilers, I was "saved" from a crummy night out. There's a strong chance I won't ever see it, but I'm genuinely fine with that.

((Shrugs)) I'unno. I'm frugal. Spoil everything, I say, so I know what I shouldn't bother wasting money on. The further in advance, the better.

"Ragnarok" was another one. "Answer The Call". Every "Transformers" movie after the first one. Thank GOD I watched those trailers, and read those spoilers. I can say with 100% certainty that I'm a better person for not seeing those movies in theaters (or at all). But in every case, there was at least an outside chance I was gonna, until some noble soul decided to save me from it. Bless them.

I'unno. Trailers are advertising. You're supposed to watch 'em. It's like someone offers you a free sample of wedding cake, but you'd rather wait until the wedding so it's a surprise. Free cake! I'unno.

What's really annoying is when I'm trying to get answers out of my "No Spoilers" friends, and they're being obstinate. "Nah man, I don't wanna ruin it." "I am plainly begging you to." "Nah, man, you'll see, it's too cool to spoil." "Well I heard a rumor, and it actually sounds kinda dumb, so just tell me so I know." "Nah man, I hate spoilers." "I love 'em. Now tell me what I want to know before I strangle you with garrote wire."

Good people, but piss poor at following simple directions.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Last edited by Leo656; 01-19-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #104
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I used to think I was weird, because I genuinely don't give a crap about spoilers, find people who get genuinely upset about them to be insufferable, at times (anyone who cusses people out over it is a baby), and have almost always enjoyed movies just as much, if not more, when I already knew what to expect.

Then I read a bunch of studies that conclusively prove that 1. People actually hate being surprised, 2. People nonetheless love to insist that they're the minority who do like being surprised, and 3. People who go out of their way to avoid "spoilers" are almost always cranky about the entertainment they consume, for not being what they expected or wanted. So NOW I know that I'm actually the one doing it properly, while everyone else sets themselves up for disappointment.

I mean, it's whatever, I just think it's weird how seriously people take stuff like that, to the point where they won't even watch a trailer. What if the trailer looks like sh*t to you personally, and watching it would potentially save you from an unpleasant experience? Like, I ALMOST went to see "Homecoming", but then I watched the trailers, got a bad feeling, read the spoilers and decided (strongly) that what they were selling wasn't what I wanted. I could have gone out, blown money, and come home annoyed, but because the trailers already gave me a heads up, and I'm not "afraid" of spoilers, I was "saved" from a crummy night out. There's a strong chance I won't ever see it, but I'm genuinely fine with that.

((Shrugs)) I'unno. I'm frugal. Spoil everything, I say, so I know what I shouldn't bother wasting money on. The further in advance, the better.

"Ragnarok" was another one. "Answer The Call". Every "Transformers" movie after the first one. Thank GOD I watched those trailers, and read those spoilers. I can say with 100% certainty that I'm a better person for not seeing those movies in theaters (or at all). But in every case, there was at least an outside chance I was gonna, until some noble soul decided to save me from it. Bless them.

I'unno. Trailers are advertising. You're supposed to watch 'em. It's like someone offers you a free sample of wedding cake, but you'd rather wait until the wedding so it's a surprise. Free cake! I'unno.

What's really annoying is when I'm trying to get answers out of my "No Spoilers" friends, and they're being obstinate. "Nah man, I don't wanna ruin it." "I am plainly begging you to." "Nah, man, you'll see, it's too cool to spoil." "Well I heard a rumor, and it actually sounds kinda dumb, so just tell me so I know." "Nah man, I hate spoilers." "I love 'em. Now tell me what I want to know before I strangle you with garrote wire."

Good people, but piss poor at following simple directions.
No study can tell me that I dont enjoy going to a movie and being surprised.

That said, I agree with a lot of those points, and yes, I often enjoy a movie more after I've seen it multiple times and the expectations have been washed away by the appreciation for the actual craft of the movie itself.

I was so hyped for Infinity War, that i felt disappointed after my first viewing, because, inevitably, it wasn't everything I wanted it to be. It was something else. Now that I've come to terms with what it is, I enjoy the hell out of it.

I've never been one to throw a fit about it and I agree the spoiler-culture has gotten out of hand.

But there's nothing wrong with looking forward to going into a movie and being surprised. I laugh at the notion that there's a "right or wrong" or "proper" to go about it, when it comes to the personal side of things.

As for the cake analogy, it is more like you can have a few bites of your piece of the cake now or save your whole slice for the wedding. Eh, I'll probably wait and save my whole slice for the wedding, unless it's just a very tiny sample size for now.

The only small thing that annoys me is when you hear someone spoil something and then go "oh, spoilers" right after. Just shut up and people may not even notice.

I also think if you get spoiled while browsing the net and have a fit, you're probably acting like a baby, if you're hanging around the discussion anyway.

But yeah, end of the day, nothing wrong with enjoying a surprise.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #105
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,299
Absolutely not, but some people act like being surprised is the entire point and that the whole experience is "ruined" if they find out too much. That kinda thing is silly, to me. Like, the internet is a thing, spoilers are unavoidable unless a person just doesn't go online, watch TV, or leave the house until the movie is out. And that seems to be a lot of hassle.

I've read about people going ballistic because it's "confirmed" that Spider-Man isn't dead anymore after the next Avengers movie. Like "No sh*t". Those kinda people drive me nuts. Like, no, it was never a certainty... Just a 99% chance.

The phenomenon you described is extremely accurate with regard to me. I generally enjoy any given movie a lot more on the tenth viewing than the first, both due to constantly finding new layers and also anticipating the stuff I already liked previously.

Surprises can be fun but for me they're hardly mandatory. Sometimes, I actually think some movies could have done less work to be secretive and stuff, and more to just be better. Like "Dark Knight Rises". It's alright, but the whole second half was twist over twist to the point of being ridiculous. Entirely too much of that movie relied on Shyamalan-ing the audience when it should have just told a better story.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #106
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Absolutely not, but some people act like being surprised is the entire point and that the whole experience is "ruined" if they find out too much. That kinda thing is silly, to me. Like, the internet is a thing, spoilers are unavoidable unless a person just doesn't go online, watch TV, or leave the house until the movie is out. And that seems to be a lot of hassle.

I've read about people going ballistic because it's "confirmed" that Spider-Man isn't dead anymore after the next Avengers movie. Like "No sh*t". Those kinda people drive me nuts. Like, no, it was never a certainty... Just a 99% chance.

The phenomenon you described is extremely accurate with regard to me. I generally enjoy any given movie a lot more on the tenth viewing than the first, both due to constantly finding new layers and also anticipating the stuff I already liked previously.

Surprises can be fun but for me they're hardly mandatory. Sometimes, I actually think some movies could have done less work to be secretive and stuff, and more to just be better. Like "Dark Knight Rises". It's alright, but the whole second half was twist over twist to the point of being ridiculous. Entirely too much of that movie relied on Shyamalan-ing the audience when it should have just told a better story.
Gotcha. Some people out there def get out of hand with it. If you are worried enough to throw a fit when someone brings up something they saw in a trailer, than just stay out of the conversation rather than try and control it to such a fine point.

The epiphany for me was that the surprise factor and enjoyment of the craft can actually be two separate entities. Will the surprise effect how much I truly enjoy the film?
No.
But do I like to enjoy surprises?
Yes.

They don't have to necessarily mix, in my mind.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:36 AM   #107
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,294
There's also a huge difference between Spider-Man "confirmed" alive post-endgame cause he's getting a new movie versus someone screaming "Snape kills Dumbledore!" At the queue waiting to buy the book.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #108
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,299
True story. I still wouldn't threaten anyone with violence over it though. Facebook is a scary place.

Spoilers are something of an "equalizer" for me. If I see two different films, both fully spoiled, I know that whatever feelings I have about either are "Real"; I'm not overreacting to how clever they tried to be, or how they "got me", or even all the hype that comes with being in a packed theater opening night. I'm simply reacting to the material being presented and whether or not I enjoyed it, not letting any of that data be skewed by intangible forces. I am a fan of many things, but I strive to be objective above all else.

Like, I went into Dark Knight Rises completely cold, and was gushing about it to an embarrassing degree after seeing it in a packed house on opening night. Then I saw it a few more times and noticed that, when you know all the "surprises" and aren't flying on excitement, it's really a pretty absurd movie. Sixth Sense is another good example. Some Good Movies are only "Great" the first time, when they can "trick" you, and afterwards aren't anywhere near as entertaining because too much of the story relied on surprises. Which implicitly means, if the surprise is MOST of the fun, the story isn't very good.

I know many people would disagree with that. Most of them are currently working on the next "Saw" movie, so... Y'know.

But yeah, spoil or not but don't be a crybaby either way, would be my general advice to people.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #109
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 15,664
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #110
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,385
Fury makes this trailer for me.

"But I'm a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man..."
"&!%(# please, you've been to space!"
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #111
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 14,654
It's criminal how underused Nick Fury has been in the MCU since Avengers 2.

I get not having him in Civil War, but reducing him to an end credit scene in Avengers 3? No presence at all in Black Panther? Nothing in Ant-Man and the Wasp? Just kicking it at the funeral in Avengers 4?

This is MotherFvcking Samuel L Jackson, Feige. Why's he just prequel costarring with Captain Marvel!?
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #112
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,385
Yeah, seems like when Cap 2 blew up SHIELD they forgot about him and Hill for the most part.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #113
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's criminal how underused Nick Fury has been in the MCU since Avengers 2.

I get not having him in Civil War, but reducing him to an end credit scene in Avengers 3? No presence at all in Black Panther? Nothing in Ant-Man and the Wasp? Just kicking it at the funeral in Avengers 4?

This is MotherFvcking Samuel L Jackson, Feige. Why's he just prequel costarring with Captain Marvel!?
good point if Black Widow can get his own movie why not Nick Fury
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #114
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, seems like when Cap 2 blew up SHIELD they forgot about him and Hill for the most part.
Both of them showed up in Agents of SHIELD a couple of times but... yeah. Weird.

I think the general idea is that they felt like Fury was the "training wheels" on the Avengers then once they were established... no need for them. But that's dumb.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #115
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Both of them showed up in Agents of SHIELD a couple of times but... yeah. Weird.

I think the general idea is that they felt like Fury was the "training wheels" on the Avengers then once they were established... no need for them. But that's dumb.
Absolutely dumb. Although I get his absence in Civil War... if Fury throws his support to either Cap or Tony, that kinda undercuts the other side's validity. "Oh, Avengers Dad is siding with my brother... well $hit, guess that puts me in the wrong."

Not that it couldn't be made to work, or have Fury serve in some critical role. After all, Cap's had no problem going up against Fury in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
good point if Black Widow can get his own movie why not Nick Fury
At least we can (hopefully) count on seeing Fury and Hawkeye in the Black Widow movie.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #116
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,250
As much as I love seeing Spidey in the MCU, and appreciate the way Marvel has incorporated him into the fold, I still feel like he hasn't had a big, tragic Spider-Man moment in the MCU.

I've never actually felt like this Peter has suffered, which to me, is a key ingredient of Spider-Man. I know I shouldn't wish for this film to be something it's not, especially when it looks to be so much fun, but I am hoping they can finally put the MCU Peter Parker "through the ringer" this time around.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #117
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,385
Any idea how old Donald Glover's character's nephew was in Homecoming? I watched a video that mentioned an alternate Mysterio's role in the Spider-Men miniseries and it eluded to the fact that Glover is Miles Morales uncle...so if Miles didn't get dusted in the snap, he'd be 5 years older...maybe old enough to be a 2nd Spidey soon.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #118
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Any idea how old Donald Glover's character's nephew was in Homecoming? I watched a video that mentioned an alternate Mysterio's role in the Spider-Men miniseries and it eluded to the fact that Glover is Miles Morales uncle...so if Miles didn't get dusted in the snap, he'd be 5 years older...maybe old enough to be a 2nd Spidey soon.
He's only ever referenced, if I remember correctly. Implied to be youngish. Good idea... that would be a good way to age up Morales.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #119
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Add a transgender actor to the diverse cast of Characters in this movie

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spide...-movie-a165911

Barack now becomes the first transgender actor to be cast in a big-budget superhero movie and opens the door for a more inclusive landscape moving forward.
I guess this kid came out as trans AFTER being in Homecoming so she doesn't count...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josie_Totah

I wonder if Zach has a bigger role.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #120
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,764
Well that trailer was pretty dang good, I'm hyped. Very curious to see all the fallout of Endgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's criminal how underused Nick Fury has been in the MCU since Avengers 2.

I get not having him in Civil War, but reducing him to an end credit scene in Avengers 3? No presence at all in Black Panther? Nothing in Ant-Man and the Wasp? Just kicking it at the funeral in Avengers 4?

This is MotherFvcking Samuel L Jackson, Feige. Why's he just prequel costarring with Captain Marvel!?
I'm hoping Jackson comes back in a big way now to pave the way at the start of Phase 4 or whatever this period of MCU films is gonna be called

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Good idea... that would be a good way to age up Morales.
Agreed. It would be cool if we get Miles Morales in the MCU sooner than we expected
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cybercubedmilfhunter, far from sjws, make it stop, marvel's crapshoot ideas, spider-cuck, spider-man

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.