The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #41
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Didn't we get to meet him in the Mortal Kombat comic from like 25 years ago?
No idea. I haven't read any MK comics in my life. Are those canon, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Neither is protagonist though.
Scorp and Sub are like Ryu and Ken - they usually have very little to do with main story, but they are faces of their series.

His real name and real face have been revealed in his ending in MK1.
In MK comic he was already ninja specter and didn't play important role.
Ryu is definitely the protagonist of SF, though. And Ken is his best friend. Chun-Li would be the female protagonist.
An interesting case is that, Guile, is like the 3rd most iconic male fighter in the series but his role is not very big. Not to mention he skipped several games of the franchise. And he's only there because Charlie Nash went missing and someone had to go search for him. But who cares about SF's "story", anyway? It's hardly consistent and the main focus of the game is the gameplay.

And even if Scorpion and Sub-Zero aren't the protagonists of MK, they're definitely the faces and the most recognisable characters, so they might as well be protagonists.

One thing people forget is that Johnny Cage is technically the closest character to being a protagonist after Liu Kang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't think any of the comics are canon, anyway. Same with Street Fighter. There's been too many and they all contradict each other, and the games, to a serious degree.

The best was the original Street Fighter II comic, which was so bad Capcom pulled the plug after like three issues, and issued a statement within the pages of the book itself, essentially saying "Sorry this was crappy." I wanna say it was by Malibu, but I could be wrong.
The only Street Fighter related thing I've truly enjoyed that wasn't video game related was the Street Fighter II animated movie. That movie is great, seriously. I know you've watched it as did other people here, but I can't stress it enough.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #42
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
No idea. I haven't read any MK comics in my life. Are those canon, though?
Official MK1, Official MK2, MK4 (which came with PC port), MKD and MKX comic books that have been made with participation from Midway / NRS are canon.

Quote:
Ryu is definitely the protagonist of SF, though. And Ken is his best friend. Chun-Li would be the female protagonist.
An interesting case is that, Guile, is like the 3rd most iconic male fighter in the series but his role is not very big. Not to mention he skipped several games of the franchise. And he's only there because Charlie Nash went missing and someone had to go search for him. But who cares about SF's "story", anyway? It's hardly consistent and the main focus of the game is the gameplay.

And even if Scorpion and Sub-Zero aren't the protagonists of MK, they're definitely the faces and the most recognisable characters, so they might as well be protagonists.

One thing people forget is that Johnny Cage is technically the closest character to being a protagonist after Liu Kang.
There is a difference between the most popular character / face of the series and protagonist, i.e. the main character in the story. One thing is not like the other and they shouldn't be confused.

And Ryu is not protagonist of the Street Fighter story. Most of the time he is barely a side character.
The only time where he was main protagonist was back in Street Fighter 1. In SFV he was one of the main characters, though, but in general this story was more about Chun Li and Guile rather than Ryu.

Liu Kang was nominal protagonist only in the first four MK games, though, barely anyone cared about him. Than it, arguably was Kung Lao in MKDA, Shujinko in MKD and Taven in MKA.

Johnny Cage was not a protagonist up until MK Armageddon. Up until that point he was a joke character whose sole accomplishment was that he had died twice.

In MKA he was leader of the good guys, since Raiden went crazy and Liu was dead. In MK9 he was one of the main characters, though Raiden was the protagonist in that game and in MKX, Kombat Kids shared the spot as the main characters.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #43
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

http://whatculture.com/comics/shang-...u-need-to-know

Damn, I'm less excited for Shang-Chi now that I know more about him! What's the point of this character? Generic Asian martial artist. Pffft. Seems like a blatant Jackie Chan ripoff, but what do I know...
Old 12-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Nope, it was indeed from Malibu and I still own all three issues.

https://markepicblogofrandomness.blo...n-started.html
https://markepicblogofrandomness.blo...r-issue-2.html
https://markepicblogofrandomness.blo...r-issue-3.html

Aside from the apology, the third wasted time having Honda fight one of their original characters, that looked like a more feral Aquaman. And they gave a brief summary of what some of the character storylines would have been had the story continued.

As a kid I thought they were awesome because OMG the violence, OMG the blood, and their promised 'ultraviolence so intense one of the characters might not survive!!!!'. I bought the first 2 issues day of release, but didn't find issue 3 til years later at a con.
That's the issue where Ryu gets Ken's scalp sent in the mail, right? I think my wife has all of those.

I love the SFII animated movie. All I ever remember is that one scene with Chun-Li, though. I know y'all know.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #45
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's the issue where Ryu gets Ken's scalp sent in the mail, right? I think my wife has all of those.

I love the SFII animated movie. All I ever remember is that one scene with Chun-Li, though. I know y'all know.
Yep, at the time i was like HOLY CRAP, THEY KILLED KEN?!'.

Yeah, we allll know the Chun Li scene.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Get director:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...ro-1203162631/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #47
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Official MK1, Official MK2, MK4 (which came with PC port), MKD and MKX comic books that have been made with participation from Midway / NRS are canon.

There is a difference between the most popular character / face of the series and protagonist, i.e. the main character in the story. One thing is not like the other and they shouldn't be confused.

And Ryu is not protagonist of the Street Fighter story. Most of the time he is barely a side character.
The only time where he was main protagonist was back in Street Fighter 1. In SFV he was one of the main characters, though, but in general this story was more about Chun Li and Guile rather than Ryu.

Liu Kang was nominal protagonist only in the first four MK games, though, barely anyone cared about him. Than it, arguably was Kung Lao in MKDA, Shujinko in MKD and Taven in MKA.

Johnny Cage was not a protagonist up until MK Armageddon. Up until that point he was a joke character whose sole accomplishment was that he had died twice.

In MKA he was leader of the good guys, since Raiden went crazy and Liu was dead. In MK9 he was one of the main characters, though Raiden was the protagonist in that game and in MKX, Kombat Kids shared the spot as the main characters.
Afaik, it's not very clear who won the SFII tournament, but fans claim it's either Ken or Cammy. Sadly, the English translation messed up Cammy's ending. In the Japanese version, Bison revelas she was his clone or whatever, but in the English translation he reveals they were both lovers... wat

Well, I personally didn't like Liu Kang much in the original MK games. His voice was annoying as hell, especially in MK3/UMK3 and Trilogy. Like, holy hell. Those screams. Was that supposed to be funny?! Scorpion and Sub-Zero were the characters me and most other kids liked.

I see. I completely skipped the middle MK games. I played up until UMK3 and Trilogy and then jumped to MK9, which is basically a sort of remake of the story of the first 3 MK games. I remember reading about the key aspects of the plot in the instruction manual of UMK3 back in the day, so it was pretty cool watching it in cutscene form on MK9. Not to mention the game had retained the simple gameplay from the original ones but also felt more refined and naturally had better graphics. I think MK9 is the best of the "classic" gameplay style MK games. It really did a good job on that front.

Quote:
Yep, at the time i was like HOLY CRAP, THEY KILLED KEN?!'.

Yeah, we allll know the Chun Li scene.
Yeah, but I honestly don't care much for it. There's better... Chun-Li "content" out there

It's a really great movie. Really captures the spirit of the game and portrays the characters very well. And M. Bison s treated like a serious threat. Shame Akuma only had a 2 second cameo that you're bound to miss on your first time watching it if you grab a glass of water or something when it happens.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #48
snake
Disgusting

Marvel is probably kicking themselves so hard that they blew their load on Iron Fist because now they can’t make a solo film on him or else they’d have to acknowledge the TV show as noncanon.

So what do they do? Pull out f*cking Shang-Chi. Gotta get those asian markets, I guess.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Marvel is probably kicking themselves so hard that they blew their load on Iron Fist because now they can’t make a solo film on him or else they’d have to acknowledge the TV show as noncanon.
I doubt it. As much crap as Netflix got for "white-washing" Iron Fist or how it's an example of a "white savior," I doubt they'd want to touch it on the big screen. Unless they were to just literally make Iron Fist Asian, which is what all the SJWs wanted... but that defeats the whole purpose of the character.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #50
snake
Disgusting

I feel like it’d be handled better on the big screen. The only ones paying attention to Iron Fist were weird, internet people. The only ones who care about social justice issues are also weird, internet people. Your average normie isn’t going to give two sh*ts what the weird, internet people are saying. Case in-point: Captain Marvel is succeeding despite weird, internet people fighting over it.

The only example that’s actually carried over to real life is the new Star Wars movies. Nobody likes that garbage.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #51
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Afaik, it's not very clear who won the SFII tournament, but fans claim it's either Ken or Cammy. Sadly, the English translation messed up Cammy's ending. In the Japanese version, Bison revelas she was his clone or whatever, but in the English translation he reveals they were both lovers... wat
Guile had won Street Fighter 2 tournament.

Quote:
Well, I personally didn't like Liu Kang much in the original MK games. His voice was annoying as hell, especially in MK3/UMK3 and Trilogy. Like, holy hell. Those screams. Was that supposed to be funny?! Scorpion and Sub-Zero were the characters me and most other kids liked.
His voice is supposed to be homage to the Bruce Lee. His whole character, from appearance to the fighting style and mannerism in later games, based on Bruce Lee.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #52
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sadly, the English translation messed up Cammy's ending. In the Japanese version, Bison revelas she was his clone or whatever, but in the English translation he reveals they were both lovers... wat
Actually the original Japanese version apparently just said she was his spy. The clone thing was a retcon in later releases.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:01 AM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Actually the original Japanese version apparently just said she was his spy. The clone thing was a retcon in later releases.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info/correction.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #54
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Well, this would be ONE way to make me give a fvck about this movie.

https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-fat...real-mandarin/

Probably too good to be true, though...
Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #55
sdp
Megan Fox = April

They've done magic so the Real Mandarin isn't that far off, but I guess why bother if Iron Man is no longer alive and also another villain that uses gems in his fingers will get people to roll their eyes.

I wonder if that actor from the Chinese extended version of Iron Man 3 will be in this. Talking of which, did that version of the movie ever come out in English? If not does that mean that China actually has an extended cut of the movie that we don't?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They've done magic so the Real Mandarin isn't that far off, but I guess why bother if Iron Man is no longer alive and also another villain that uses gems in his fingers will get people to roll their eyes.

I wonder if that actor from the Chinese extended version of Iron Man 3 will be in this. Talking of which, did that version of the movie ever come out in English? If not does that mean that China actually has an extended cut of the movie that we don't?
Yeah, good point... oho, more magical finger jewelry! Will he snap his fingers? Oh noes!

22 movies in, Iron Man 3 is still dragging along at the bottom of the list for me. Fvcking Iron Man 3.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In an interview with THR, the film’s director Destin Daniel Cretton was asked why he chose to do the project to which he said it was about having a superhero with an Asian face on screen:

“I grew up without a superhero to look up to. I gravitated to Spider-Man when I was a kid, primarily because he had a mask covering his face and I could imagine myself under that mask. I would love to give my son a superhero to look up to. I feel very privileged to be a part of telling that story.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/brief-sh...lming-updates/
Old 01-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #58
neatoman
Emperor

Anybody else heard the rumour that Spiral and Omega Red are in this movie?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #59
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In an interview with THR, the film’s director Destin Daniel Cretton was asked why he chose to do the project to which he said it was about having a superhero with an Asian face on screen:

“I grew up without a superhero to look up to. I gravitated to Spider-Man when I was a kid, primarily because he had a mask covering his face and I could imagine myself under that mask. I would love to give my son a superhero to look up to. I feel very privileged to be a part of telling that story.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/brief-sh...lming-updates/
He's an idiot.

I also wonder if it some odd form of racism as well, oh I can't look up to a character that isn't the same race as me. Or at least some form of entitlement.

As a Hispanic dude I never once felt I couldn't look up to and try to go by the morals and values of Spider-Man, Batman and Captain America because oh noes they aren't Hispanic. I never once thought well I guess comics just aren't for me cause there aren't any Hispanic superheroes.

And this from someone that went to a school that was half Hispanic and half black. Most of us liked Batman or Wolverine and we didn't let race get in the way of it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #60
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
As a Hispanic dude I never once felt I couldn't look up to and try to go by the morals and values of Spider-Man, Batman and Captain America because oh noes they aren't Hispanic. I never once thought well I guess comics just aren't for me cause there aren't any Hispanic superheroes.
Because, you are a normal functioning human being.

Those people are not - they hate themselves (or think that others are hated) and the only way they can get their fix to it, is a validation through the self-inserts in fictional stories or headpats in social networks for being "oppressed".

Their self-worth is so fragile, that it needs to be fed upon some external source. It's the same type of people who use medical diagnosis to build their whole personality and self-worth upon.

They are pathetic, really.

Tags
cuck-chi, marvels shang-sjw