The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Davetello
Banned

Topics which turn you into an obnoxious elitist

Following on from the wars observed in relation the 2014 film (which I haven't been part of), name a topic which you might be snobby and sanctimonious about. For example, Leo656 might be considered by some to be elitist when it comes to Superman & his disdain for Smallville. MsMarvelDuckie might be elitist when it comes to Marvel (not saying she is, just giving an example of what might be like).

For me, it would be the footballer Cristiano Ronaldo. I think he's an overrated fraud and whenever I see someone say he's as good as or better than fellow footballer Lionel Messi I just assume they're clueless and ignore their future opinions on football. To be fair I'm 100% right as only morons rate Ronaldo above Messi. I also have fair reason to think this as Ronaldo seems to have an army of clueless 12 year old sycophantic fanboys who are in love with him and have only been watching football since 2009. There are more holes in their arguments than in an Amsterdam brothel. It certainly doesn't help that Ronaldo himself is a slimy weasel.

So as you can see, I am very elitist when it comes to certain football/soccer debates (although in the case above my view is the correct one). So which subject(s) turn you into an obnoxious pr!ck?
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

Films for sure. I much prefer serious, foreign language pictures to 99% of anything Hollywood puts out. My favorite would be Persona by Ingmar Bergman.

And here it is:

Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

In terms of real-world stuff I have no interest in politics, sports, or religion...so all the really touchy topics I have no part of. Those topics tend to make people the most defensive simply because everyone can't respect each others personal views.

I also don't really see many movies a year besides the big Hollywood ones, and I don't really listen to music either.

So its just the select few shows and videogames I watch/play but even there its not a big deal.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Davetello
Banned

Dirty Blond - thanks for the link there.

CC - You should take a more active interest in politics because it affects every aspect of your life.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
In terms of real-world stuff I have no interest in politics, sports, or religion...so all the really touchy topics I have no part of. Those topics tend to make people the most defensive simply because everyone can't respect each others personal views.
Of this, I definitely agree. They definitely bring out the ugly in people, and I learned long ago to try to avoid those things myself in forums. It's often people doing sanctimonious posts, preachiness, using strawmen, or putting words in another person's mouth and/or generalizing.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #6
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Hm, I don't know. Maybe something Japanese? Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Of this, I definitely agree. They definitely bring out the ugly in people, and I learned long ago to try to avoid those things myself in forums. It's often people doing sanctimonious posts, preachiness, using strawmen, or putting words in another person's mouth and/or generalizing.
I avoid talking about these things in real life, especially politics and relgion, unless I know the person is open-minded and can actually have a rational, adult conversation regarding it.

I'm so so with politics. I know I should be keeping up with more politics on this side of the pond, especially with Abe administration in office. Back home, I semi-kept up with politics because, as it was pointed out, it affects a lot of aspects of your life.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Lethal Lullaby
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah. I have no interest in any of those three you listed at all either.

For me, well I can't think of anything that I become obnoxious about at the moment. Haha. Oh wait. I think perhaps when I know how a certain character acts/ is supposed to act. Then someone is protraying that character like wayyy wrong, and I feel the need to correct them.
Sometimes I do correct them. >u<
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
So which subject(s) turn you into an obnoxious pr!ck?
Probably too many to mention. I'm sure y'all know me well enough to know at least a few topics which push my buttons.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #9
Commenter 42
Banned

I'm not sure this thread was entirely necessary.

I like you Dave, but this? I don't think anyone was being an "elitist" in the other thread. The word is being used improperly for one, and two it's reinforcing the idea that having standards is snobbish; also a fallacy.

A snob might say that they only watch a certain directors films, and that is all. A snob might forego the regular seating because only Imax will do.
A snob can't wear anything BUT Fendi or Prada, but definitely not Marc Jacobs. That's a snob. they deal only in extremes, and if it's not the ultimate best of the best, it sucks.

We're hardly acting snobbish, at all.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:37 AM   #10
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
I'm not sure this thread was entirely necessary.

I like you Dave, but this? I don't think anyone was being an "elitist" in the other thread. The word is being used improperly for one, and two it's reinforcing the idea that having standards is snobbish; also a fallacy.

A snob might say that they only watch a certain directors films, and that is all. A snob might forego the regular seating because only Imax will do.
A snob can't wear anything BUT Fendi or Prada, but definitely not Marc Jacobs. That's a snob. they deal only in extremes, and if it's not the ultimate best of the best, it sucks.

We're hardly acting snobbish, at all.
Perhaps this is a misunderstanding - I'm not necessarily saying that I personally find it snobbish in there. I'm saying that the subject of elitism has cropped up (rightly or wrongly). I'm using that example of a debate over the issue of elitism on this forum as a simple intro to my thread.

For the record, I can see the views of both sides on the 2014 film and don't have a strong view either way. I certainly don't have anything against you and I enjoy your posts, for the most part.

Oh, & I also agree that the film was very poor. But I generally stayed clear because it didn't feel right for me to tell people that they were wrong to enjoy it, even if it could do great harm to the future of the franchise.

Last edited by Davetello; 11-30-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
snake
Disgusting

Star Wars, Marvel, and TMNT. I'll correct anyone who mentions something wrong on any of those topics.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Roleplaying.

You're probably not better at it than I am. The roleplay community is full of idiots that don't know their heads from their asses.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

Hm. For me it would be history, Gundam, G I Joe, and tons of things nerdy lol named my store after myself lol

Youtube channel that talks about TMNT, Gundam, Pumpkin Plants, Finances, G I Joe, Transformers and move: https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods

https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
pennydreadful
trash

Good one, Snake - you just reminded me of one of my major ones: discussing the changes Lucas made to the OT turns me into a frothing elitist. I can roll with some of what he did for the 97 versions, but everything after that... nyyyygh.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Back to the Future is something I can be very passionate about, and I could go for days discussing various what-ifs within that universe.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Good one, Snake - you just reminded me of one of my major ones: discussing the changes Lucas made to the OT turns me into a frothing elitist. I can roll with some of what he did for the 97 versions, but everything after that... nyyyygh.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8fu3etzdf1r6v7x1.gif
You know, it's been so long since I've seen the original versions of the trilogy that I can't recall what's been added (aside from the obvious) and changed. My family still have the original trilogy on Beta, though. Whenever I go home, maybe I'll ask my folks to dig out the Beta tapes and the Beta tape player and watch them.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

This thread makes me so happy that most of the people who kept this **** going in the first couple of pages are gone. One necropost I'm thankful for.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think Bitcoin and NFTs.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think Bitcoin and NFTs.
Really? I don't recall seeing you in the Crypto thread...
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Land Before Time sequels

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote