The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I picked up TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan for Xbox 360 today from Target. It was on clearance for $11.98. If you're still rocking a last-gen console like me and you're interested in the game, it may be worth a trip to Target.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

I was really disappointed in this, I really wanted my idw videogame. it was only idw in asthetic only.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
Turo602
The King of Kings

I was really disappointed too, but only because my expectations were set too high and that's probably got to do with the way the trailers presented the game. I was hoping for something in the vein of Batman: Arkham City, with an open-world design and awesome linear story, but unfortunately, it was just another turtles beat 'em up.

However, what's there isn't really bad either. As far as TMNT games go, this one is pretty good. Combat is good even if not too deep, the more open-levels are a lot of fun to traverse, and the bosses are extremely fun. They got the charm of the franchise down and the Turtles' personalities are on point. The randomized objectives also give the game a lot of replay value as you'll constantly be doing different things in each stage during different playthroughs.

Though, had it not been rushed, I think it could have been really amazing. It would have definitely benefited from more levels, more level and enemy variety (purple dragons and triceratons come to mind), vehicular combat stages, and cool extras like a Mirage comics filter, unlockable playable characters, and alternate skins from different eras. Only then would it have been worthy of full retail price. It just sucks that we'll never see anything special done with this franchise as a video game. It's always gotta be tied to something else and ends up falling short because of it. Platinum is a great developer and given what they did with the little they had to work with, I think they could make a great TMNT game. If we're not gonna get something like the Batman games, at least make the beat 'em up formula work to its fullest potential.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

how?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I was really disappointed in this, I really wanted my idw videogame. it was only idw in asthetic only.
How?! Tom waltz wrote the damn thing!!
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well it wasn't actually part of IDW continuity, just loosely based on it. Same reason Armaggon and Wingnut were bosses in this game whereas they have no real appearances in IDW, Wingnut only a small cameo in the comic.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, I would have bought it if it was presented as at least like an alternate universe IDW TMNT, where instead of the events of the comics the events of the games happened. Maybe Shredder and Krang actually teaming up, something. I don't know why they would use the IDW art style but then include Armaggon and Wingnut
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I was really disappointed too, but only because my expectations were set too high and that's probably got to do with the way the trailers presented the game. I was hoping for something in the vein of Batman: Arkham City, with an open-world design and awesome linear story, but unfortunately, it was just another turtles beat 'em up.

However, what's there isn't really bad either. As far as TMNT games go, this one is pretty good. Combat is good even if not too deep, the more open-levels are a lot of fun to traverse, and the bosses are extremely fun. They got the charm of the franchise down and the Turtles' personalities are on point. The randomized objectives also give the game a lot of replay value as you'll constantly be doing different things in each stage during different playthroughs.

Though, had it not been rushed, I think it could have been really amazing. It would have definitely benefited from more levels, more level and enemy variety (purple dragons and triceratons come to mind), vehicular combat stages, and cool extras like a Mirage comics filter, unlockable playable characters, and alternate skins from different eras. Only then would it have been worthy of full retail price. It just sucks that we'll never see anything special done with this franchise as a video game. It's always gotta be tied to something else and ends up falling short because of it. Platinum is a great developer and given what they did with the little they had to work with, I think they could make a great TMNT game. If we're not gonna get something like the Batman games, at least make the beat 'em up formula work to its fullest potential.
They really did rush the F out of this game honestly. I think the biggest letdown I keep hearing from a lot of people from the beginning (aside from how short it is) is there was no true multiplayer, just a online version of it. It really limits the replay value some because of it too.
FYI I bought this when it came out, no ragrats.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
FYI I bought this when it came out, no ragrats.
Same ... I mean, I liked it ... but it had SO MUCH MORE potential to be better than it actually was.

I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play. Falling in love with Sonic Mania this week made me really yearn for classic TMNT style of video games.

The FW series does get a lot of attention (some would say too much) but I would love for a new TMNT game to be such a nostalgia trip within that world. I think it would make more sense to do FW in a retro style since it would capture more attention possibly ... but give us different downloadable skins (1990 film, 2003 series, Mirage, 2012) and possibly different levels to play in that represent those eras.

Hopefully Activision doesn't renew the license (if they already dropped it by now) and TMNT falls in the hands of people who actually want to make something just a little bit more substantial.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play.
Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.
Ha ... speak of the devil!

Count me in that number then of the nostalgic hipsters. I just think most attempts to transfer TMNT over into new styles of gaming haven't really payed off in their favor, is it a matter of the wrong teams behind them ... or rushing development? Probably a combination of both, but returning to a winning formula isn't as horrible of an idea as some might suggest.

Guess the important thing is to look towards the future ... since MIM bombed as much as it did, I don't see another TMNT game hitting consoles for awhile.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
is it a matter of the wrong teams behind them ... or rushing development? Probably a combination of both
Neither, really. They start production on these kinds of games, banking on there being a ton of pre-orders to finish the production. The pre-orders never really happen (in TMNT's case, probably because the last slew of games have been back-to-back terrible) so they just quickly wrap up what they have somehow and throw it out there, cutting their losses.

Not that any TMNT game really, well, ever has been a passion project for anyone involved. At least MIM bothered to hire Tom Waltz, for whatever he was allowed to inject.

Quote:
but returning to a winning formula isn't as horrible of an idea as some might suggest.
A "winning formula" from 1992 is only going to win with people who remember being Final Fight-clone crazy in 1992 (and even then, maybe for only 5 minutes, when the nostalgia wears off and they remember how mind-numbingly repetitive those games were). Those games will not register with any new fans.

Quote:
Guess the important thing is to look towards the future ... since MIM bombed as much as it did, I don't see another TMNT game hitting consoles for awhile.
Yeah, it's not really a coveted license right now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Neither, really. They start production on these kinds of games, banking on there being a ton of pre-orders to finish the production. The pre-orders never really happen (in TMNT's case, probably because the last slew of games have been back-to-back terrible) so they just quickly wrap up what they have somehow and throw it out there, cutting their losses.

Not that any TMNT game really, well, ever has been a passion project for anyone involved. At least MIM bothered to hire Tom Waltz, for whatever he was allowed to inject.

A "winning formula" from 1992 is only going to win with people who remember being Final Fight-clone crazy in 1992 (and even then, maybe for only 5 minutes, when the nostalgia wears off and they remember how mind-numbingly repetitive those games were). Those games will not register with any new fans.

Yeah, it's not really a coveted license right now.
All completely solid points. To me though ... those older games never felt mind-numbingly repetitive, but I see your point. Did you ever get your hands on that Transformers: Devastation game from Platinum? The two feel similar to an extent, but T : D has FAR more re-playable value in it that MIM barely scratched. I never really considered the pre-order factor into the gaming development process.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

A retro-styled beat 'em up with 2D sprites a'la Turtles In Time WOULD be a hit, as an indie download title. Fact.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.
Yeah, I can totally see a new TMNT game done in the same retro style, I know a lot of people including myself, are fans of the original Konami games, so it would be cool if someone did a new TMNT game in those styles.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
A retro-styled beat 'em up with 2D sprites a'la Turtles In Time WOULD be a hit, as an indie download title. Fact.
Y'know, as long as it wasn't a borefest like that recent Power Rangers title. I had such high hopes for that....
Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Y'know, as long as it wasn't a borefest like that recent Power Rangers title. I had such high hopes for that....
What was this? Was it branded with the ol' Mighty Morphin' designation?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
What was this? Was it branded with the ol' Mighty Morphin' designation?
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't remember the name.

It has some cool ideas, but it is like the developers had never played a brawler before and didn't know what made them appealing.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't remember the name.

It has some cool ideas, but it is like the developers had never played a brawler before and didn't know what made them appealing.
Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira_is_loose_again, powder_the_cuck