Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise Official Episode Discussion S1 EP5B: Mascot Melee

Quote:
Mascot Melee

In order to get a birthday gift for Splinter, the turtles have to take on thuggish Times Square mascots.
Here's a clip

https://www.facebook.com/teenagemuta...6992515691699/

If anyone hasn't seen the episode Newsworthy which airs tomorrow, feel free to discuss it here.

If we are getting new episodes next week, I think I will do 2 episodes for one discussion thread.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Alright I'm seeing a pattern here. There's going to be a lot of episodes where the Turtles interact with humans who are under the assumption they're wearing costumes, aren't there?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Here's a clip

https://www.facebook.com/teenagemuta...6992515691699/

If anyone hasn't seen the episode Newsworthy which airs tomorrow, feel free to discuss it here.

If we are getting new episodes next week, I think I will do 2 episodes for one discussion thread.
It seems that they did flip the official order around between FatF and Mascot Melee. With the shows continuity they can switch a bunch of eps around lol.
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ever since first seeing the premise of this one I can't not think of that Christmas special.

Quote:
Gotta get a gift
Gotta get a gift
Gotta get a gift
Gotta get a gift
For Splinter!

------------

Saw that coming... "too nice, I'll save it for special occasions" (or something like that). At least that part was actually relatable. lol

Mascots were annoying, but thought the Turtles part of the fight was decent and Raph working the crowd was kinda fun. The nod to the old movie was the best part. I definitely need that gif.

Kind of sad though that if this is the last new one (except for those who haven't seen tomorrow's) for god knows how long I wish it would have left us off with one related to the actual overall plot.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-26-2018 at 05:10 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Ever since first seeing the premise of this one I can't not think of that Christmas special.

------------

Saw that coming... "too nice, I'll save it for special occasions" (or something like that). At least that part was actually relatable. lol

Mascots were annoying, but thought the Turtles part of the fight was decent and Raph working the crowd was kinda fun. The nod to the old movie was the best part. I definitely need that gif.

Kind of sad though that if this is the last new one (except for those who haven't seen tomorrow's) for god knows how long I wish it would have left us off with one related to the actual overall plot.
Ending a premiere set with filler will leave a bad taste in people’s mouths. We’ve already seen this with the prior cartoon, but this series may have it worse.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
matteso586
Stone Warrior

Who else geeked out a bit at the sight of 1987 Raphael's head on the meme?

Is it a dumb plot twist that the thuggish mascots are actually mutants in disguise?

Unless I'm going crazy, I thought I heard John DiMaggio in this episode.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

My least favorite so far.... still a lot of references in this episode but that’s reallt it
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Not my favorite episode, but it was one of the funniest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
Unless I'm going crazy, I thought I heard John DiMaggio in this episode.
Sure sounded like the dog mascot was him, yeah. I hope he comes back for another part, love him.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Thought it was good episode. I can see the mutants wanting make money or pickpocket as mascots since they’re mutants.

Haven’t seen the next episode but I knew it was gonna have another horrible schedule. Words can not describe how much I hate this format. It’s happening to a lot of cartoons.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

After seeing that, I just feel like getting drunk and going to bed...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Vicky82
Emperor

The episode was alright, I liked some of the references (Turtle in a trench coat, TMNT SOTO dance, Donnie whistling OT tune).

So in this version Raph isn't afraid of bugs/roaches but has a peanut allergy.

Was that Cree Summer voicing that Female Mascot, because it was the same voice of that female ref in Shell in a Cell.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
The episode was alright, I liked some of the references (Turtle in a trench coat, TMNT SOTO dance, Donnie whistling OT tune).

So in this version Raph isn't afraid of bugs/roaches but has a peanut allergy.

Was that Cree Summer voicing that Female Mascot, because it was the same voice of that female ref in Shell in a Cell.
Should Raphael's peanut allergy be a keeper? And could we also get a mutant peanut plant as a villain?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No more peanut butter on the pizza for Raph. Come on, thought they wanted to be more like the FW series. lol

Also, yeah, the mutants trying to get by as mascots does at least kinda make sense. Really though, was Leo really stunned by the girl costume's ass...? lol Wasn't sure I caught that right until I saw a repeat.

Would have made a nicer story though if it was instead GOOD, if misguided, mutants just trying to survive and the fight comes to a halt when they're found out by the Turtles who can suddenly relate to their plight. Rather than just being monster bugs there is immediately no sympathy for. (Not that being pick pockets, including of Raph, didn't immediately end any possible sympathy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Ending a premiere set with filler will leave a bad taste in people’s mouths. We’ve already seen this with the prior cartoon, but this series may have it worse.
Yeah, it seems like bad planning to not want to leave off with something that will have people wondering what happens next and at least mildly eager to see it return.

Instead they want to leave off with the worm. Their version of the Plankton gimmick imo. *sigh*

I really really do hope we're just getting some of the most random stuff out of the way. But what are the chances very few eps even created so far even have anything to do with the underlying theme...

I tried to look ahead in the schedule of next week to see if there is even at least just one new one, but it just shows a basic description of the series and nothing spacific. I assume it's just repeats like it will be airing a ton of over the weekend.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-27-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
No more peanut butter on the pizza for Raph. Come on, thought they wanted to be more like the FW series. lol

Also, yeah, the mutants trying to get by as mascots does at least kinda make sense. Really though, was Leo really stunned by the girl costume's ass...? lol Wasn't sure I caught that right until I saw a repeat.

Would have made a nicer story though if it was instead GOOD, if misguided, mutants just trying to survive and the fight comes to a halt when they're found out by the Turtles who can suddenly relate to their plight. Rather than just being monster bugs there is immediately no sympathy for. (Not that being pick pockets, including of Raph, didn't immediately end any possible sympathy.)

Yeah, it seems like bad planning to not want to leave off with something that will have people wondering what happens next and at least mildly eager to see it return.

Instead they want to leave off with the worm. Their version of Plankton gimmick. *sign*

I really really do hope we're just getting some of the most random stuff out of the way. But what are the chances very few eps even created so far even have anything to do with the underlying theme...

I tried to look ahead in the schedule of next week to see if there is even at least just one new one, but it just shows a basic description of the series and nothing spacific. I assume it's just repeats like it will be airing a ton of over the weekend.
Turtlepedia has titles and in some cases summaries for some future episodes, though. And I agree this was a wasted opportunity. And what about bringing back Cowabunga Carl?

Alopex seems fluffy enough to be a mascot, if they try to stick to her original design.

Last edited by miru; 09-27-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #15
matteso586
Stone Warrior

Isn't it interesting that Warren Stone's debut episode is also an episode that is more focused on a villain?
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Definitely the weakest episode by far. The meme was just crummy. It felt PPG 2016 levels of bad.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #17
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Definitely the weakest episode by far. The meme was just crummy. It felt PPG 2016 levels of bad.
Ending on not only filler, but bad filler with missed opportunities is like

Old 09-30-2018, 01:02 AM   #18
Ninjinister
無問題

I feel like the show's humor can be hit or miss but I really like the fight scenes in it, like the one against the mascots here.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:33 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Great fight/dance scenes in this one, Donnie gushing over the Atomic Lass mascot was funny and Leo's Mascot costume was just a fanny pack, the humans aren't very perceptive. Loved the gag with the tank closing it door so slowly, and jumping jack Splinter... Ewww

Adore the recurring Teddy Bear Town coupons
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Adore the recurring Teddy Bear Town coupons
Now the question is, how soon do we see them there in an ep and I want to know what disguise they've actually be using in order to shop in the place. lol I mean, come on now, according to Raph's member card he's been there a lot and has quite he collection.

(And will real life Build A Bear do 'Rise' Turtles? I mean, obvious tie-ins, come on now corporate people.)