The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #61
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

I think the better question is... do any of the first gen PS1's work anymore? I had to turn my nieces on its side to play anything.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #62
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I know all the first gen PS1 are dead. They used cheap plastic disc drives in all the early models.

I once went to Sams and saw a kid yank a PS1 by the controller and it flinged off the shelf and hanged by it's cord off the shelf. It then fell 5 feet to the concrete floor. The door shattered and the disc spindil flew off to god only knows where. Cheap piece of sh*t.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #63
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

XD

That must be where they got the idea to include a disc launcher with the PSP.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #64
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

XDDD
Old 01-01-2005, 09:18 PM   #65
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
I think the better question is... do any of the first gen PS1's work anymore? I had to turn my nieces on its side to play anything.
Well mine does. My sisters actually, but it was played a total of about 10 times.

Last edited by Peanut; 02-08-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #66
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Okay, you have to read this. This man is a god.....and I work with him.

http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php...&comments=full

It's hysterical, sickening, full of sex humor, and completely true in every respect.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #67
Super Moderator

My old Playstation works. I don't see the problem. If a system falls off a shelf, it should break. You shouldn't be that stupid, anyway.

Just read the article. While it may be quite humorous and most people who play games nowadays are pretty ignorant to their purchases, it keeps the video game industry going. As long as they buy every F*CKING Grand Theft Auto game, that leaves more room for the Zelda games and the Mario games and the Metroid games. And that guy sounded like he knew everything, I hate that. And since when was it cool to cry about the video game industry every 10 seconds? Sure, I hate GTA just as much as you do, but the good games will come eventually. I know this good and well. There's no need to cry about it. This is getting ridiculous. Stop. Please, just stop.

No, wait. I'm not done yet. What, is there something wrong with the average gamer? Since when was gaming restricted to certain people? It's there for everybody. You need to admit that there's people out there who are not like us. I know kids who get stuck on games real easily, and that's fine. They're just not experienced enough with this stuff. I may sound hypocritical, defending the casual gamers, because I bash them all the time, but I do it in a joking manner. These guys play games. That's cool. I don't really care if they buy every damn sports game to date. They are supporting the video game industry, and the industry is stronger than it has ever been. There's going to be good stuff coming out of this, and you know that. DS, Revolution, PS3, Xbox 2. This is going to be huge, people. We owe our thanks to the casual gamers who continuously buy this stuff.

And about the console war. Do you want to go back to a time where one comapny ruled the industry? Nintendo? No, we can't have that anymore. There's more companies out on the scene right now, and they have ideas that may be interesting. Sorry, but that's just how it goes. You can't change that. People are going to like specific companies for the games they put out, and you can't change that.

So in conclusion, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the games that you have, for it is the casual gamers that brought it to this point.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #68
Peanut
Second Gear

I can honestly say I didn't find that article funny. While some points are very very true, others just reek of blatant fanboyism. Seriously I hate the crappy games, the oh so endless supply of crappy games, but I know, no matter what happens, that we'll still get good ones. In my personal opinion, this guy needs to pull his head out of his ass and actually see the gaming world from the eyes of a true gamer. Someone who plays games for every system, no matter who makes it, because they're fun.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #69
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well, keep in mind his articles are written solely for humor, not fact.

My life is pathetic. Really, it is. I jump on this stuff for a good laugh because frankly, Nintendo is just about all I got left. Family sucks, life sucks, school going downhill, living situation sucks, one shot at a meaning relationship lately blown by family = sucks, and now I have a crippling back problem. What do I do? I stick my head in the Gamecube and attempt to radiate my skull. That's why I laugh at stuff like this. Gotta have something to keep me going.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:15 AM   #70
Barkworm
Super Moderator

*takes deep breath*
I LOVE MY PS2 AND I HAVE DOUBLE AS MUCH GAMES FOR IT AS I HAVE FOR MY GAMECUBE!!!
*runs*
EDIT: To all Pokémon fans, "Pokémon Pearl" and "Pokémon Diamond" have been announced for DS!
EDIT #2: I just read that article and it's totally lame although it has one or two valid points in it.
EDIT #3: TMB, we still love you! *pats crippled back*
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 AM   #71
Super Moderator

Well, I'm sorry I was a jerk. Sometimes I just get angry about this stuff, because it's getting too complicated when gaming is so simple. I kind of know how you feel, TMB. In many respects, I am a PATHETIC individual. I mean, look at this s*it I have as my avatar and signature. I have at most 3 real friends left, school isn't going so great, I have a feeling two of my relatives are going to die soon, and there's some tension in the family (relatives) now. My solution? I turn to Japanese junk and video games. It's tough living the life of a nerd, being rejected by society and neglected by our family members, but I wouldn't really want it any other way. It sucks, but you learn to live with it.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:02 AM   #72
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

You're not a jerk Ai. We're all just stressed out. I just get depressed when I see my one escape in life begin to become as soulless as Hollywood and the rest of the media as they slowly take it over and control the content. Sorry about your relitives man. We're having the same thing here.

You know, this wouldn't be as depressing if Nintendo would just get off their ass and do some proper advertising. They've done better lately, but it's not enough. I'm just hoping they've been saving the ad budget for this Spring when they'll need it, because they can't have spent $40 million on just the little we've seen with DS on TV. More like $5 million. Meh, they need an ad that's just simple. Screw the artistic/edgy stuff. Yeah, they're fun to watch for us, but the average boozer dosen't have the patience to wait 15 seconds before they show a little game logo to tell you what in the hell it was you just saw. Just show *insert character here* kicking ass while screaming some lame ass pop music and showing magazing quotes saying "this game owns all" ect. That's the lesson they could learn from Sony. They make a lot of crap, but they can sell anything because they know how to mess with the general public. Metroid Prime could outsell GTA 2 to 1 if they advertised it half as good as Sony.

Point is, they have better content than anyone else. They don't ever need to change how they make the games. Just the way they promote them. Just sell it dirty like Sony, then we'll be the ones people hate for having the highest selling games ect. Hopefully Reggie can prove my point this year. They didn't do it in 2004 because there was no compatition and such.

Geeks just don't get a break, in any generation.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:19 AM   #73
Super Moderator

I really am stressed out. Not over video games, but just life in general. I don't even have that many problems, but it's the stress of the nerd, I guess. I usually turn to Dir en grey when I'm sad or angry. They always cheer me up. Either them or Morning Musume. You just can't help but feel good after hearing one of their upbeat childish songs.

Yeah, Nintendo really needs to do some advertising. I mean, it seems like they don't even have a department for that in their company or something. Even in Japan, their advertising is limited. I'm guessing they use the "word of mouth" technique, or maybe rumors on the internet. Either way, TV is usually the way to go. Always has, always will. Too many kids watch TV these days. In Japan, I believe there's five different DS commercials, all starring Utada Hikaru. That's some pretty good advertising there, but it's a little insufficient for their other products, you know?

I don't know. Maybe they will bust something hardcore out.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #74
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

I dunno... the DS ads here had a lot of people talking, and their GBA ads are damn near perfect. Have you seen the FF1+2 ad with the dragon flying around? Beautiful. The gamecube ads... not so much. The Metroid Prime 2 one was good, but the Mario Tennis one sucked. That was just horrible.

I think if they can keep what they have (crazy internet rumors, word of mouth, loyal fanboys who'd kill to get their hands on the next game) and add in better TV support, they'll do a lot better.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #75
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yes, they're Gameboy ads own all. They grap attention, and they're to the point. They need to keep those. But sh*t like the Mario Tennis commercial needs to go. Halo 2 isn't the greatest game ever made by any means, but Microsoft marketed it as such, and drove the hype through the roof. But it blew over afterwards. Nintendo needs to do that with the new Zelda. Make insane stupid levels of hype.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #76
Peanut
Second Gear

I like the new Mario Party 6 commercial with Bowser. I laugh my ass off everytime I see it. The commercials with the guys dressed up in suits are the best.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #77
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Seeing kids put Whipped cream on Boswer's face in funny as hell.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #78
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

God, I hate Halo fanboys. They're worse then the die hard Nintendo fanboys (the ones who won't admit that Nintendos' fallen, and that they do things wrong at times).

I'm getting sick of trying to explain that just because a game doesn't start with Halo doesn't mean it's a bad game. *screams*.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 AM   #79
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Halo 2 is a good game, but those people put it on a stupidly high pedastool simply because it's all they've heard about in the media. That's because Microsoft spewed ad all over the place, and paid off all the magazines. I've watched people review it. Even the people on G4 admit it was way overhyped, but you won't see that as long as Microsoft is funding them. Nintendo needs to realize this and jump on the bandwagon. They've actually got the content that they could hype to high heavens, and the game live up to it.....if they'd just hype it. Look at Metroid Prime 2. It could have done it had they coughed up the cash, but I think they were saving their money for this year's DS ads. They're going to need it to maintain the portable market.

In other news, this make me laugh up my breakfast.

by: Larry McCormick

The French government isn't too thrilled with US megapublisher EA's bid to assume control of Ubisoft.

The plot thickens in the EA arena once more. We reported a few weeks ago that the publisher bought a 19.9% stake in French developer/publisher Ubisoft. The president of Ubisoft at the time cited EA's acquisition of such a large share of his company's stock a hostile action.

The latest news on this story comes from French newspapers and a report on Yahoo! UK Finance, which mentions that the French government may lend support to Ubisoft to keep it beyond EA's grasp. Ubisoft reportedly plans to assemble a meeting with some of its key shareholders this week to discuss why a takeover from EA would be detrimental to the company and how to prevent it.

One strategy Ubisoft is apparently going to try to employ will be to get the Guillemot family to increase the number of shares it owns. The Guillemots currently own a 17.5% stake in the company and hold 26.6% of the voting rights.

It's world war 3. EA versus the French. You here thinks they'll try to buy out France now.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:09 AM   #80
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Halo 2 wasn't that hyped in the German media. Most multiplatform magazines I've seen here gave Metroid Prime 2 or even Paper Mario 2 higher ratings. It caused some problems with retarded readers though.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote