The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Games of the GENERATION

Grand Theft Auto V pretty much marks the end of this console generation. Sure, you have some joints coming out here and there, like South Park and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, but this is pretty much it. So let's rap, gang; what are your favorite games of this generation?

There were some great franchises that started in the last few years. Gears, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Call of Duty didn't but it sure blew up recently. You have the Galaxy joints, Dead Space, Saint's Row, and a whole bunch of others that escape me at the moment.

Not just games, but there were some major innovations this generation, too. Downloadable titles and content, party chat, indie games blew up, and much more.

So dawgs, I'll ask again. What are your favorite games of this generation?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Cawadooty African-American Ops II!
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Borderlands 2 probably takes the first place, at least it's my most played one. Demon's/Dark Souls are just perfect for my taste. I've only played Arkham City for few hours but that and Asylum are in my top list. Every God of War game for Sony's consoles also, this and previous generations. Well, this is almost like the top 5 list but not counting older games.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

I didn't know people were still on the Call of Duty joke kick.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Definitely The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. IMO it's the only game that fully utilised the hardwares potential - same way GTA V did with the 360 and PS3!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
I didn't know people were still on the Call of Duty joke kick.
I didn't know people still took forums seriously. You know, sometimes I like to pretend to get offended on the internet for fun! It's a white privilege. I guess I need to check it every now and then...oh wait, are we trying to start an internet fight? I'm sorry. Let me try and do this, it's been a while. You gay! Was that good enough? Let me know what you think.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I didn't know people still took forums seriously. You know, sometimes I like to pretend to get offended on the internet for fun! It's a white privilege. I guess I need to check it every now and then...oh wait, are we trying to start an internet fight? I'm sorry. Let me try and do this, it's been a while. You gay! Was that good enough? Let me know what you think.
And that's what we call: An overreaction.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

So did you win? Put that sh*t up on the fridge, baby.

But to keep this on-topic (whatever that even means anymore) I'm all about Viva Pinata.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

MK9, Red Dead, Far Cry 3, deus ex human revolution, bioshock,mass effect Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Fallout, No more Heroes, Batman, and GTA 5

Oh Valkrie Chronicles

Last edited by PApagreg; 09-25-2013 at 10:01 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Definitely Uncharted and the God of War series for me. But I gotta add in the Mario Galaxies as well.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Peanut
Second Gear

Such a loaded question, because this has been a crazy gen with a lot of great stuff and in these last 7-8 years I've had the ability to play whatever I wanted whenever I wanted for the first time ever. I'll also always remember this gen for extreme overreactions to complete f*cking nonsense (it even happened immediately in this thread) and it also cemented my hatred for the games community, so thanks Internet.

I'm gonna have to do some thinking on this a bit and go back through some of my game history on my 360, because it's hard to remember everything.

The first game that jumped to mind for me was Viva Pinata. Incredibly unique, tragically overlooked and one of the most addicting games I've played this entire generation. It really is Rare at it's finest. And speaking of overlooked games I loved, both Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and Enslaved are incredible games that will never get recognition for how excellent they are. Also I feel like Yakuza 3 and 4, despite being exclusives to a Sony console, were completely ignored by the majority of people and it makes me f*cking angry. It's leaps and bounds more interesting than any of the schlock first-party sh*t Sony has drizzled out of it's rank asshole (inFamous, Killzone, two mediocre God of War games, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, 800 Ratchet and Clank games, Heavy Rain) outside of Naughty Dog joints and Puppeteer, yet it can't even manage to be successful enough to warrant Sega doing the bare minimum in localization that they did for the last 3 games. Sad as sh*t.

Now I'm kinda working myself up, thinking about the trash that's risen to the top (at least in terms of mindshare) over the really unique stuff that's come out this generation. Kinda depressing.

Edit already: Dragon Age: Origins! What a f*cking incredible game.

Edit again: Hunted: The Demon's Forge! So much god damn fun! OH! Asura's Wrath!

Last edited by Peanut; 09-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Oh, maaaaaaan. I remember when we played Hunted. That was awesome. I also agree with Majin and Enslaved. Great games.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Turo602
The King of Kings

Alan Wake
Assassin's Creed II
Batman Arkham Asylum
Bayonetta
Borderlands
Castle Crashers
Dead Rising
Dead Space
Gears of War
Halo 4
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil 5
Saint's Row 2
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tomb Raider
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Games I have yet to play that I'm sure would be and or replace games on my list include Borderlands 2, Dead Space 2, The Last of Us, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and GTA V.

Last edited by Turo602; 10-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
Ninjinister
無問題

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Oisterboy
Foot Soldier

Mmmm, most memorable I see on my shelf being:

Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Ni No Kuni
Dead Space 2
Skyrim
The Last of Us
The Walking Dead
LittleBigPlanet 1 + 2
LA Noire
Uncharted 3
Heavy Rain

My favorite is probably definitely Borderlands 2. But the downloadable game Journey is actually really high up on my list too. Probably second to Borderlands. Wii had some great titles, but those are all upstairs and I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
NinjaMan
Mad Scientist

Super smash bros brawl
Arkham series
Lego batman 2
Lego marvel superheroes
Call of duty
Marvel ultimate alliance 2
NinjaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

1. Uncharted Trilogy
2. Mortal Kombat (2011)
3. Batman : Arkham Asylum
4. Batman : Arkham City
5. Goldeneye 007: Reloaded
6. The Last of Us
7. PORTAL 2
8. LEGO Series
9. Call of Duty Black Ops II
10. Infamous 2

Last edited by ObiWanFan4life; 09-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaman View Post
super smash bros brawl
arkham series
lego batman 2
lego marvel superheroes
call of duty
marvel ultimate alliance 2
LEGO Marvel does not f**king come out for more than a month!
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaeltheAwesome13 View Post
LEGO Marvel does not f**king come out for more than a month!
You are now officially in my top 5 favorite users list.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm one of those people who's about 5 years or so behind what's currently being played, so I haven't experienced as many of the best games that came out in this generation as many others have. But I've played a few more "modern" games that I really liked. These are just personal favorites, not a statement declaring them better than this, that, or the other.

They won't be on anyone's "Best Of" anything list, but I've probably spent more hours playing the WWE games on 360 than anything else. They pretty much got a little better every year.

I just started playing GTA IV (yeah, IV, not V, shut up) and so far it's pretty good. The last one I played at length was Vice City, which I really enjoyed, but a lot of stuff in IV is greatly improved.

Heavy Rain was very controversial, but I thought it was fun and different. I wouldn't exactly want to play a hundred games like it, but at the time I played it it was just what I was looking for.

Batman: Arkham Asylum would probably be the most obvious choice. I haven't played Arkham City yet, but I'm sure it's just as good.

Sonic Generations was a lot better than I expected it to be; I literally haven't had thumb cramps like that since like the early-90s. I had a lot of fun with that one.

All the Fight Night games were great, and I generally give less than a sh*t about boxing.

Fighting games are something else I don't mess with much, but Mortal Kombat and Injustice: Gods Among us are among the best I've ever played.

Ghostbusters really surprised me. For a licensed game based on an ancient franchise that's been on life support for over 20 years, that game was lots of fun and hit all the right nostalgic notes as well. It needed a playable Ecto-1 level, but you can't have everything.

I got heavy into DC Universe Online for a couple weeks. I lost entire 12-hour blocks of my life and remembered why I generally don't play MMOs. My impulse control is poor and I will always sacrifice sleep for games, which negatively affects my work output. But it was a blast, all the bugs aside.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was even better than I expected it to be. I'd have played it tons more than I did, but this generation more than any other, I've been buying and playing tons of random games simply because I have more money to spend on them. I'm usually juggling a couple Wii, 360, and even Gamecube games from my "To Play" pile, so sometimes when I finish a really good game like this one, I shelve it and move on to another one, when back in the day I'd just play it until I knew it all by heart. I miss being a kid and having all that free time.

Finally, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I'm a huge Zelda mark anyways, but it was the reason I bought a Wii. I know it's not much different from the GC version, but I bought and played it only for Wii so I'm counting it.

Some games I haven't played extensively or at all yet but am sure I will enjoy immensely are Skyward Sword, the Mario Galaxy games, Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, GTA V, The Mass Effect series, and Xenosaga. Feel free to ask me how I felt about 'em in 2018, I'm sure I'll have played at least two of them by then.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo, sony, video games, xbox