Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #21
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I do like the one Dimension X theory.

In my head, I like to imagine Dimension X is both the dimension of the Archie comics as well as containing a galaxy (X-shaped, as we see in Adventures) that contains what we traditionally think of as Dimension X. In that, there is the Fred Wolf Krang, the Kraang, and whatever that is in the latest "film."
I used to think of Dimension X as one as well, glad I'm not the only one.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Even IDW? That means yet another Krang, a second planet Neutrino, etc.
That's where it gets less tidy. Unless we assume it's the same planet Neutrino as in the FW show... just further in time, maybe.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
That's where it gets less tidy. Unless we assume it's the same planet Neutrino as in the FW show... just further in time, maybe.
Eh. Zak, Dask and Kala would have said something, plus princess Trib vs. Tribble and a million other contradictions.

I love multiverse crap as much as the next guy, but it has to make sense.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's 3 different versions of Krang himself. The original Fred Wolf, the Archie version, and the IDW version.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #25
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My personal issue with the retcon is Krang being SubPrime's cousin. Unless they mean it in a sense of comradery, but if they mean literally? I doubt it very much.

I would believe if they made contact across dimensions, but I don't believe them being actual relatives. It sure puts a big question mark on how the Nick Utroms do family groups.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There's 3 different versions of Krang himself. The original Fred Wolf, the Archie version
I think you could reconcile those two Krangs into one.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #27
Casey
Stone Warrior

Right. Because FW didn't have any inconsistencies with Krang's origin or anything else for that matter.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #28
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
No. Nickelodeon can pretend all that they like that the original cartoon existed within the realm of their universe, but it didn't.
This. Nick gets an A for effort, but it just doesn't work out. To many inconsistencies in FW itself to try to make it make sense with the new show.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
This. Nick gets an A for effort, but it just doesn't work out. To many inconsistencies in FW itself to try to make it make sense with the new show.
It makes about as much sense as anything that's presented -- often conflictingly -- about Krang in FW. And Nick kind of gets to dictate what's what in that regard now.

I have no horse in this race, I just like to compartmentalize the different universes into tidy places like I did in "Odyssey." The one messy spot is Dimension X.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #30
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
My personal issue with the retcon is Krang being SubPrime's cousin. Unless they mean it in a sense of comradery, but if they mean literally? I doubt it very much.
I felt like he simply got shoehorned into the episode.
Don't get me wrong, it was a decent episode, but it could have been better (by being a little less awkward in certain areas.)
Spoiler:
Here's an idea - since he wanted to get to Dimension X, FW Krang could have just made contact *and attempt to dupe* the Utrom High Council, since they're more intelligent than their brain-washed kin The Kraang.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:40 AM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I do like the one Dimension X theory.

In my head, I like to imagine Dimension X is both the dimension of the Archie comics as well as containing a galaxy (X-shaped, as we see in Adventures) that contains what we traditionally think of as Dimension X. In that, there is the Fred Wolf Krang, the Kraang, and whatever that is in the latest "film."
Personally, I'd say when you're watching the Nick cartoon, it's probably best to pretend the Nick cartoon isn't the fourth or sixth TV show based on TMNT (depending on how you count FF and BttS) and just see it as it's own independent thing. That way you'll avoid jumping through mental hoops.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Personally, I'd say when you're watching the Nick cartoon, it's probably best to pretend the Nick cartoon isn't the fourth or sixth TV show based on TMNT (depending on how you count FF and BttS) and just see it as it's own independent thing. That way you'll avoid jumping through mental hoops.
Why would anyone count FF or BTTS as a separate show from the 2k3 series? They're just new seasons with a subtitle rebranding. Even the episode count number continues and they're considered Season 6 and 7.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why would anyone count FF or BTTS as a separate show from the 2k3 series? They're just new seasons with a subtitle rebranding. Even the episode count number continues and they're considered Season 6 and 7.
Yeah I don't get that, makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I'll just pretend it's a subtle jab at the writing of the Fred Wolf cartoon and leave it at that.
If it's a jab it's a very, very, very subtle jab i.e. wishful thinking on your part because I definitely don't think that's what they intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I like the idea of Krang being separated from his body. It's a more interesting, horrifically implied backstory for me. I do wish they could have included the backstory presented in Season 6.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
If it's a jab it's a very, very, very subtle jab i.e. wishful thinking on your part because I definitely don't think that's what they intended.
And once again you have proven your inability to understand humor... Hell, You've even missed the keyword "pretend".
Hahahaha!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #35
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

I liked the retcon, since I thought it made the show more fun and tied the two shows together.

Granted, the '80s cartoon doesn't mesh perfectly with the Nick show (but it is a parallel universe within Nick's multiverse and does fit a lot better than it did with 2k3, IMHO). On the other hand, the '80s show had a loose continuity and contradicted itself quite a bit already, so it's not like the retcon makes anything worse.

And while a big deal is made of the fact that Nick claims that '80s Krang was a Utrom/Kraang banished to the '80s universe when in the '80s cartoon pilot he claims to be a disembodied brain, in "The Four Musketrutles," we see that Krang's species are indeed brain-like Utroms. So, there is a president for him not having an actual body.

So, in conclusion, since the retcon is confirming something that was already contradicted and the '80s show already has a loose continuity, I see no reason to reject the retcon.

(In regards to why Krang doesn't look like a Nick Utrom, I would theorize that the Utroms are multiracial, for lack of a better word. His saying that he had once had a body could be either chalked up to a continuity error we ignore or a lie he told to get '80s Shredder to build him a new robot suit.)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

Krang being Utrom (I'm speaking generally here, not justin regards to the Fred Wolf cartoon or TDT) is probably for the best, if his original backstory was kept then you'd have ignore the Utroms or have the coincidence that this Utrom-like thing just co-exists with them.
Hahahaha!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #37
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Some could say they are multiracial but I doubt it though. Virtually all of the Kraang look like with the exception of Subprime and Prime. They say he was banished from 3D Dimension X, and went to 2D Earth but that couldn't be. He said 2D dimension x was his home dimension and 3D and 2D dimension X have their own versions of Tragg and Granitor.

Him being disembodied is more interesting and would explain why he was so upset from losing his body, even so much as he didn't want his Rock Soldiers to look at him the way he is. If he was always a brain like alien, why would Tragg be so surprised of Krang's appearance?

Plus Krang was out of character. They made him into a joke instead of being a fearsome warlord, which he was in 2D Dimension X and the fact he was willing to blow up realities just to get rid of the Turtles. He was trying to make amends but for him to go out of his way to do something so extreme is out of character. He never regarded the Turtles as major enemies, just beings that annoyed him. This is something the Shredder would do, but even that would be stretching it. The only Shredder I know that would do that is Chrell, as he actually attempted to do that.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

So many people seem to forget about mutagen when it comes to talking about Krangs backstory. Since he used the mutagen to turn ordinary rocks into his loyal soldiers (as confirmed in the episode Michelangelo's Birthday), there's no reason for him not to use on himself and become a reptilian monster. Thus, he is still technically an utrom and was able to acquire his body via mutation before Subprime stripped him of his body via de-mutation in order to humiliate him before having him banished to 2D Earth.

And I agree with Dimension X being the same in OT and Nick. It may seem different because its an entire dimension, not just one planet, so its bound to look very different in places. Some areas of Dimension X could be 3D, pink and have giant worms/rock soldiers, while other areas could have a red sky and be 2D. Dimension X is very unstable and unpredictable after all.

Krang and Subprime don't have to be literal first cousins, I don't even think thats possible since I doubt the Kraang breed in the same way as humans and animals. However, its much more feasible to suggest that Krang wasn't a literal first cousin, but a cousin species, in the sense that Dogs and wolves are cousins descended from a common ancestor. Thus, this would explain why Krang has a similar body shape yet different appearance to the Kraang.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-01-2016 at 08:27 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #39
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
Plus Krang was out of character. They made him into a joke instead of being a fearsome warlord, which he was in 2D Dimension X and the fact he was willing to blow up realities just to get rid of the Turtles. He was trying to make amends but for him to go out of his way to do something so extreme is out of character. He never regarded the Turtles as major enemies, just beings that annoyed him. This is something the Shredder would do, but even that would be stretching it. The only Shredder I know that would do that is Chrell, as he actually attempted to do that.
I'd like to think Krang had gone insane by that point

While its true Krang wasn't initially occupied with the Turtles as first and regarded them as mere annoyances, as the classic series progressed, he started to become more-turtle obsessed. Sure, he never went to the same levels as Shredder (who went back in time to the 1500s or tried to kill the turtles when they were elderly in the future), but Krang still was much more hung up on destroying the turtles in say, season 6 than in season 2, where he was primarily concerned with his operations in Dimension X.

In my personal headcanon, Transdimensional Turtles takes place right after the OT episode Shredder Triumphant and before the episode Get Shredder, thus explaining how Krang needed the Krang to get to Dimension X and was seperated from the technodrome at the end. After being constantly defeated by the turtles so many times, he finally snapped after he lost the technodrome, causing him to resort to trying to destroy all the turtle realities in his insane outburst.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #40
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
So many people seem to forget about mutagen when it comes to talking about Krangs backstory. Since he used the mutagen to turn ordinary rocks into his loyal soldiers (as confirmed in the episode Michelangelo's Birthday), there's no reason for him not to use on himself and become a reptilian monster. Thus, he is still technically an utrom and was able to acquire his body via mutation before Subprime stripped him of his body via de-mutation in order to humiliate him before having him banished to 2D Earth.
Hmm, interesting. Retcon aside, the mutagen would definitely be an explanation for his reptilian form contradicting what was previously shown.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
krang, retcon