The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite

Tenchi Muyo Discussion

So yeah, doing a marathoning of Tenchi stuff, just watched the 3 ovas (20 episodes) and currently reading the corresponding mangas for expansion.

With so many stuff out dealing with the Tenchi muyo series, the recent being "Ai! Tenchi Muyo" I thought just a fun talk about the series would be cool?

Which is your favorite of the "Tenchi" characters? Ovas, Universe, tokyo, or Ai? Do you enjoy the movies? What about the spin-offs like: GXP, Pretty Sasami series, War on Geminar.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
sdp
-

I loved Tenchi Muyo when it aired on CN as a kid, I also remember liking and watching Universe and a little of in Love. I plan on re-watching it one of these days but doesn't the Tenchi franchise have a very convoluted timeline? We have like 4 alternate universes and the spin-off shows all vary on each one.

I would like to own a good Ryoko figure, I have the one that McFarlane toys made and while decent it's mostly a statue. Tenchi definitely had some interesting characters. At first I saw it as blander version of Ranma 1/2 but it definitely carved its own path.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Allio
Foot Elite

From what I can tell, the main canon seems to be

-OVA series -> Mangas > GXP > War on Geminar

-I believe the movies can go with either "Universe" or "Tokyo" but I can't be certain as I haven't watched those two yet

-Ai! Tenchi Muyo is standalone, though I haven't finished yet.

-Pretty Sasami is stand alone as it is just a Magical girl series featuring Sasami (Though I want to say it has 3 shows?)

I do hope that Funimation dubs Ai! Tenchi Muyo from last year, and hopefully they release the first Pretty Sammy show on dvd (The second half is cheap, but the first is expensive)

Last edited by Allio; 06-02-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I was allllll about Ryoko back in the day. Had a bunch of toys from the series, wish I still did.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Allio
Foot Elite

So just picked up the Tenchi Universe Dvd set, and it actually gives you a small breakdown on the Tenchi-verse (minus the Manga and "Ai!" obviously)

- Tenchi Muyo! OVA series 1, 2, 3 -> Tenchi Muyo! GXP

-Tenchi Universe! -> Tenchi The Movie: Tenchi in Love -> Tenchi Forever: Tenchi in Love 2

-Tenchi in Tokyo!

-Tenchi Muyo: The Daughter of Darkness

-War on Geminar
Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

It has been confirmed, Tenchi Muyo OVA 4 is coming out.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Has anybody else seen the elusive Mihoshi Special? I found it at my local Suncoast shortly before it went out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

Seven Seas will start releasing the canon light novels of Tenchi Muyo that expands the original ova series

http://www.sevenseasentertainment.co...-novel-series/

and apparently OVA 5 was announced.

Last edited by Allio; 12-25-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Tenchi Muyo & Tenchi Universe. That is all.

I don't have any of the series on DVD ..just what I taped from Toonami when the series aired on Cartoon Network.
However, I did pick up Tenchi The Movie - Mid-Summer's Eve (aka The Daughter of Darkness) some years ago.

I think I also rented Tenchi The Movie - Tenchi Muyo in Love at some point in time.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote