The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mollie Tibbetts: missing and remains found

And it looks like an illegal immigrant is charged with the murder and has basically confessed to it:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/us/mo...ent/index.html
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

If it happened in California, they'd give him a slap on the wrist.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Too sad, poor girl.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
mrmaczaps
Banned

How many illegals have killed Americans now? I've lost count... Well past time to stem that problem as fast as possible.

Sad that she was a victim of her own worldview of open borders & hating on white men according to her twitter. No one should have to die like that... (motibbs is her twitter.)
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

her killer is not an Illegal Immigrant he was in Iowa Legally

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...mp/1064567002/

court document filed Wednesday morning states that the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts was working legally in Iowa.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
her killer is not an Illegal Immigrant he was in Iowa Legally
Looks like FAKE news:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ect-has-us-le/

"Homeland Security officials said they can find no evidence that Cristhian Rivera got permission to be in the U.S., pushing back Wednesday against the novel legal claims of the lawyer for the man accused of killing Iowa college student Mollie Tibbetts."

and

"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services says it has no record of Mr. Rivera. A search of records by USCIS revealed Rivera did not make any DACA requests nor were any grants given. We have found no record in our systems indicating he has any lawful immigration status,” said USCIS spokesman Michael J. Bars.

It sounds like he applied at an Iowa farm and was employed, so his lawyer is saying he must be legal (yet he admits he came here as a youth). This is pretty meaningless. I know dozens of illegal immigrants who apply and get jobs at banks, hotels, restaurants and more. They can usually stay under the radar for at least a few years per job -- often times more -- before the usual immigration crackdown happens.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Huh, this is interesting.

Quote:
Rivera has lived in Iowa for four to seven years, working at Yarrabee Farms, a Brooklyn-area farm owned by Eric Lang, the brother of Craig Lang, a prominent Republican.

Craig Lang has verified that Rivera is in Iowa legally, according to Richards’ motion.

"Craig Lang supports Cristhian’s right to be in this jurisdiction and for the government to support any other idea of status publicly flies in the face of such statement," Richard wrote.

Yarrabee Farms, Rivera’s employer, issued a statement Tuesday night saying Rivera was vetted through the government's E-Verify system. However, a government archive does not indicate the Brooklyn, Iowa, farm as a participating member of the system.

On Wednesday, however, officials from the farm retracted the statement and acknowledged they did not use the E-Verify system.

So this guy was getting paid to work at a farm owned by a prominent political family, who initially claimed that the guy was working here legally because they verified his ability TO work here legally.

Only to show that they never used the system they claimed they did.

So, it's possible this could have been avoided if business in the US didn't break the law in the first place.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

So this guy was getting paid to work at a farm owned by a prominent political family, who initially claimed that the guy was working here legally because they verified his ability TO work here legally.

Only to show that they never used the system they claimed they did.

So, it's possible this could have been avoided if business in the US didn't break the law in the first place.
Well, you're probably not wrong.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:48 AM   #9
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Now, the next interesting question will be whether the farm and owners get more than a slap on the wrist for this..!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
plastroncafe

I doubt it. It's a good for the bottom to have an illegal Workforce. You don't have to pay them the legal limit, you don't have to insure them if they get hurt, and if they get uppity you just report them.

the money is a save by skirting labor regulations, means they likely have an extra emergency legal fund. And of course a prominent political member in the family.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I doubt it. It's a good for the bottom to have an illegal Workforce. You don't have to pay them the legal limit, you don't have to insure them if they get hurt, and if they get uppity you just report them.

the money is a save by skirting labor regulations, means they likely have an extra emergency legal fund. And of course a prominent political member in the family.
That's not really the way it works. These are people that show up with fake or forged social security cards and IDs... companies have no idea if the person is illegal or not if they don't pay the extra money to do the E-Verify deal on every employee, so they are paid and insured the same as any other employee. They just hope that every time the government does their sweeps of employers, their people check out.

And employers don't report illegals among themselves. That's not a thing. That's just inviting fines on themself. If they receive credible intel that someone is illegal, generally that person is immediately investigated and then quietly fired.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I’m not certain why we don’t see more investigations and boycotts of businesses that utilize an illegal workforce. Personally, I’m not sure what side I fall on in the situation. I’m just surprised it’s not in the news more.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, likewise. If there was a crackdown on the companies who actually hire them under the table so they can pay workers less, gee, maybe trying to sneak into the country would be less desirable if the jobs were gone.

If this poor girl wasn't dead it would be more amusing that there is a connection to the family of a "prominent Republican." What's that? Going on about illegals and borders is just to get votes and it doesn't matter what you're really doing on the sidelines that no one knows about?
Old 08-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, likewise. If there was a crackdown on the companies who actually hire them under the table so they can pay workers less, gee, maybe trying to sneak into the country would be less desirable if the jobs were gone.

If this poor girl wasn't dead it would be more amusing that there is a connection to the family of a "prominent Republican." What's that? Going on about illegals and borders is just to get votes and it doesn't matter what you're really doing on the sidelines that no one knows about?
This guy has nothing to do with companies that hire workers under the table. This guy came in the door with fake docs and got hired like anyone else.

I haven't worked for a hotel where it hasn't turned out we had at least 5-30 illegal immigrants in our ranks unbeknownst to us every couple of years. Until the letter from immigration comes. There is no agenda on the part of the hotels, it's just the way this works. Most Mexicans have or know someone that gives them the right docs to last a little while at legit jobs.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-24-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #15
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I would think some professions would keep better trained HR folks around. Ones that can spot fake SS cards and drivers licenses.

Part of me wants to excuse illegal workers as honorable. Like Robin Hood. They just want to survive and provide. But I think every situation is not like that. If someone is willing to break one law (such as labor laws) what other laws are they willing to break. In this case the other law turns out to be homicide.

Most of the time it seems focus is placed on businesses preying on immigrants as cheap disposable labor. However like a lot of situations the responsibility isn’t always 100% one sided.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

This sh*t drives me nuts.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/deta...170658953.html

So this guy made a habit of creeping up on girls in his car while they were out jogging or walking or whatever. And then there's this:

Another man — who was only identified as Justin — claimed that Rivera followed his fiancée in his car.

“I remember her calling me when she noticed how slow he was driving by in circles, turning around the block to keep up with her several times on her walk home,” he said. “I vividly remember one day, it was around sunset or just after, my fiancée called because she was scared."

Justin said she was returning from getting groceries when Rivera drove past her at least six times.

"Now it’s really strange because of how long he’s been driving around like that. It makes you wonder if Mollie was his only victim.”

-----------------

I have lots of questions. Such as, WHERE were all of these people when everyone was looking for Mollie's body and asking for anyone with useful information to come forward? Obviously people are busy, but still... this guy left a lot of tracks. I doubt the murder could have been avoided, sadly, but they may have gotten answers more quickly.

I'm somewhat forgiving of the fact that nobody reported or made a harassment complaint against the guy, simply because most people in a situation like that just want to forget about it and move on; it becomes a story you tell your friends about, the "creepy weirdo" who rolled up on you while you were jogging until you heroically told them to go get f*cked... and then you just laugh it off and forget about it.

Until the guy kills someone.

Like I said, it's not those other girls' fault - only the murderer is ultimately responsible for his own actions - but it's a shame that, maybe, 1% chance, if someone had taken down his license number and reported him on one of those other occasions, he wouldn't have had a chance to kill anyone.

Guy definitely watches a lot of TV, though. "I blacked out"? Uh-huh. And by all accounts, most of his interactions with these other people he creeped on previously were in English; NOW he needs an interpreter to speak with police. It's amazing.

We can hope that this was his only murder, but he's obviously put a lot of thought and practice into getting his technique down. What a mess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And no one ever reported it? Maybe eventually giving the police multiple accounts in the same area? Lord knows he gave them plenty of opportunity to get a good look at him and the vehicle to be able to describe it all to the cops.

I can understand some just deciding to brush it off as a random weirdo, but it was supposedly a small town where many knew each other, was there really no talk of a weird stranger stalking women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Most of the time it seems focus is placed on businesses preying on immigrants as cheap disposable labor.
Personally I never viewed it as preying on anyone, rather just guilty of being one of the primary attractants of illegals in the first place. Greed of not wanting to pay American citizens what little is earned from minimum wage in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This guy has nothing to do with companies that hire workers under the table. This guy came in the door with fake docs and got hired like anyone else.
Well then maybe companies, esp those who see a lot of this killer's demographic, need to be a bit more mindful, and perhaps the system that does background checks, etc needs to be improved. There has to be some kind of safeguards that could be put in place that can red flag things that don't add up between a person and the documents they're trying to get by with.

But there are many who knowingly fully well hire illegals on purpose and should be accountable for their hiring practices and the role they play in attracting people here for those jobs in the first place...
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
plastroncafe

The farm that hired him initially said that his docs came back clean, but the company they say they used as a research portal doesn't have them registered. Then they changed their story

That information is straight from the link I posted earlier.
the farm was hiring people without doing the due diligence required to ensure that an employee is in fact credible to work.

I'm more than happy to have the immigration policy discussion, but so long as unscrupulous employers are willing to cut corners there's no wall tall enough to solve this problem.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #19
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Personally I never viewed it as preying on anyone, rather just guilty of being one of the primary attractants of illegals in the first place. Greed of not wanting to pay American citizens what little is earned from minimum wage in the first place
Yeah it’s just my perspective is all. Maybe not everyone has the same take, that’s aight.

So if the paperwork was treated as legit....I’m guessing the business was at least paying minimum wage in this case. Not much of a cost saving method. Unless I’m missing something.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
The farm that hired him initially said that his docs came back clean, but the company they say they used as a research portal doesn't have them registered. Then they changed their story
As if that isn't a bit suspicious or anything... So maybe he was hired under the table?

Not that they hold any blame at all in this. But given the typical political leanings of the places where a majority of farms are at, and those leanings being of those who tend to be most concerned with illegal immigrants as a top issue...and yet in many of those areas they hire them? I just don't get the hypocrisy.

If he really was hired under the table as a known illegal then I hope they have at least in the back in their minds accepted some small amount of personal responsibility for, via employment, having kept him in the community in the first place.