The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM   #21
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
How odd. My one friend who's a huge FF7 purist who hates everything BUT the actual FF7 game gave this a spin and he loved it, despite hating newer FF stuff in general and having lots of doubts about this project until he actually played it. Weird. I don't have a PS4 so I won't be able to play it until who knows when, anyway, but his endorsement sat pretty strong with me.

I do share the trepidation about the business model regarding this, though. I've been making the same jokes for a couple of years now. Kinda think they're over-reaching just a bit. Guess we'll see.

As for them now only being in the "FF7" business, well... yeah, that's disappointing, but what are they supposed to do? "Final Fantasy" as a brand was only ever super popular in America thanks to that one game. The rest all had various degrees of success, and a lot of them were "better" games, sure, but... well, 7 is the one everyone talks about, and for better or worse is what the "brand" is represented by to most people. Not 8. Certainly not 9, which nobody even talks about or remembers.

I mean, I get it. But when you've done ten FF games since FF7 and most of them have only had mediocre success, some of them failed badly, and none of them left much of a mark on pop culture at all... and when business is down across the board, nobody's buying a ton of games BUT they just keep getting more and more expensive to produce, well... what are they supposed to do? It's basically "milk FF7" or "give up and go out of business." Because they can't well take another 10 years and millions of dollars to underwhelm everyone like they did with XV, that's lunacy.

I'unno. We'll see. I like FF7, so I'm looking forward to finally playing this. Hopefully it'll get finished. Most people I know are pretty happy with it so far.
I enjoy 8, and 2 a bit more than 7 lol. 8 is my favorite FF game of all time. And 2 is a underrated masterpiece. Yes the leveling system can be broken in that game, but I enjoy the story.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I enjoy 8, and 2 a bit more than 7 lol. 8 is my favorite FF game of all time. And 2 is a underrated masterpiece. Yes the leveling system can be broken in that game, but I enjoy the story.
By 2 do you mean 2, or 4?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:05 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

The real FF2 was the one with the broken leveling system. It's pretty notorious so they probably didn't feel the need to clarify.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 PM   #24
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The real FF2 was the one with the broken leveling system. It's pretty notorious so they probably didn't feel the need to clarify.
I thought almost every one knew of the broken leveling system? You can become GODS before you even leave the first town. Its not a bad system, its a easy system to use and master, but the problem is, if you know what your doing, in a few battles or so you can be OP very fast.

And the Rebel theme? One of the best music pieces in the entire series. I know the game gets a lot of flack, but this was a fun game to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60oAz-KCemQ

Last edited by turtle1237; 05-19-2020 at 09:48 PM.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So you can upgrade to the PS5 version of FFVII Remake for free, but you have to pay for the (apparently PS5 exclusive?) new chapter revolving around Yuffie:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii...ource=facebook
Old 02-25-2021, 11:31 PM   #26
Sumac
Banned

With the new mobile Ever Crisis re/de(make), SE milks FF7 for all its worth.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:04 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's a little bit appalling that SE is devoting their staff at all to working on side stuff for the existing FF7 "Remake" just to sell PS5 copies of the game as opposed to... you know, actually committing these staff to actually remaking the other 95% of the game they forgot to get around to with the first game.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:25 AM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

I'm actually a little annoyed that Ever Crisis is a mobile exclusive. It seems like it would be perfect for lower end systems like the Switch or ideal for laptops, yet it's exlusively put in mobile, a platform that would be trash even it weren't for the typical slimy schemes of mobile games.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I'm actually a little annoyed that Ever Crisis is a mobile exclusive. It seems like it would be perfect for lower end systems like the Switch or ideal for laptops, yet it's exlusively put in mobile, a platform that would be trash even it weren't for the typical slimy schemes of mobile games.
Just play it on emulator on PC, like I do with some games.
You can even use joypad.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:44 AM   #30
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Ff7 is my favorite game of all time, but I have no interest in playing the remake.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
Ff7 is my favorite game of all time, but I have no interest in playing the remake.
The remake is a great game. Has my favorite combat in an RPG ever. I just can't believe how fun it is to play, and the real-time switching between Cloud/Tifa/Barret/Aerith is great too. So glad they didn't keep the remake turn-based.

I have about 52 hours in the game. I'll probably replay it on PS5 eventually since we get that one for free. And of course the Yuffie DLC would be paid content, it's probably going to be $20 which is about the standard price for DLC. It'll probably be 6-7 hours long so it'll be worth it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

I just have a bad feeling that by the time they get to the actual "end of game" content, it'll be on the PS8.

Like when they first announced this project YEARS ago and said it was going to be released in "episodes", I figured alright, I'll wait it out and eventually they'll release a "Deluxe Edition" or whatever with all the chapters in one set. But it's becoming pretty obvious that's never going to happen. And that's got me pretty discouraged and making me not even want to bother with it. I don't want to play one chapter or episode or whatever every two or three years, I just want to play the "whole" game in one shot.

This is a very cynical strategic move by Square/Enix, and probably Sony too. After FFXV, they pretty much figure that they can't "sell" Final Fantasy unless it's Cloud and Co., since that's all anyone responds to. So they found a way to stretch FF7 over about a dozen or more games' worth of content, and voila, they're promised multiple multi-million sellers over the next decade-plus, since it will be at least that long before they actually get to the stuff that was on Disc 3 of the original game. Furthermore, with each release being a timed exclusive, Sony sees their PS sales go up.

I'm sure it's a fun game, and I really liked the original a lot, but the way it's being done has really turned me off to it. I skipped the PS4 entirely because almost every single other game I wanted to play was on Xbox One, which I ended up getting first, and I didn't feel like dropping another $400 on a console just to play two or three exclusive games. As it is, this project feels like a massive overreach that's being done for the most cynical corporate reasons and I don't like how they're handling it.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

FF7 is basically it's own spinoff series seperate from the rest of Final Fantasy now.

The first remake takes 45-50 hours to beat so it's definitely a long complete game. The current idea is it's being split into a trilogy, with the second game coming around late 2022 or 2023, and the third part sometime after that. And of course some other various spinoffs like mobile games and extra stuff is coming out too.

I'm all for it. I lost interest in the main series, like Final Fantasy 16 is coming out this year and I have virtually no interest in it, but I'll buy all the FF7 sequels.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:05 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Just play it on emulator on PC, like I do with some games.
You can even use joypad.
Hmm... can you advise me? I tried to find a way to emulate "Adventures of Mana" from mobile on PC (and then I tried to find a way to emulate the same game on PS Vita only to spend 2 hours on it to realize PS Vita emulation isn't "there yet"), but I couldn't make it work.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:35 PM   #35
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hmm... can you advise me? I tried to find a way to emulate "Adventures of Mana" from mobile on PC (and then I tried to find a way to emulate the same game on PS Vita only to spend 2 hours on it to realize PS Vita emulation isn't "there yet"), but I couldn't make it work.
Download Bluestacks or Nox for your PC (I recommend Bluestacks at the moment) and download game you want from Google Play (if its there). Install the game like you usually do with apps for Android and launch it.

If you have any questions, ask them, I will try to help.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:42 PM   #36
AquaParade
Banned

I thought the remake was horrible. Total slog. Combat was good but getting around and everything else was a total chore.
I did love the original like everyone else.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:43 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I thought the remake was horrible. Total slog. Combat was good but getting around and everything else was a total chore.
I did love the original like everyone else.
The only chapter was terrible was the second time you visit the sewers to chase after the rat thing that ate the key. That part was total filler and making you go through the sewers a second time was awful.

Every other chapter was great.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

I've never played FF7 since I didn't have a PS1 growing up, and as an adult I never looked out for it because I guess I just assumed it would disappoint me due to its age showing, kinda like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are no longer as amazing as they were in 1996-1998.

I'd like to have played this remake, but it took years for them to finally release it and it's a PlayStation exclusive, as expected. The only PlayStation console I have is the PS2. And it's highly unlikely I'll get a PS5 since the Switch has a lot of games and I'm not getting a PS5 just to play a few of its exclusives.

Surprisingly, the FF8 remaster is available on the Switch. As is the original FF7 game. I'll definitely get the remastered version of FF8 someday. Is it worth playing the original FF7 in 2021 for someone like me who never played the game before, though?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

I think so, but it depends on how you feel about turn-based RPGs. It can be a little grind-heavy in the middle. You can probably finish it within a week to ten days playing a couple hours a day, less if you use a strategy guide to make sure you don't waste any time or miss any important quest items. I think the story and characters are what really makes up for a lot of the other things it maybe isn't great at, for a lot of people.

Kinda hard to really illustrate what it was like seeing it for the first time when it was brand new. The opening cinema along with the soundtrack was like a revelation compared to anything that had ever come before and it really made the game feel like a huge deal. I played the hell out of it back in high school but I never finished it at the time since I kept getting distracted by new wrestling games coming out. So a little over a year ago I finally committed to finishing it and I knocked it out in a few days.

I like it, it's fun. Not very hard although it's easy to miss a couple of items if you don't know exactly where to look or how to get them, but it doesn't make the game unbeatable if you don't get them, there's just a few things that make it a little easier. Or a lot easier. Knights of the Round Materia kind of makes the last Boss fight super easy, but it's an optional Materia and not mandatory to complete the game. RPGs have come a long way since then but I think it's still a lot of fun and it was very innovative at the time.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I think so, but it depends on how you feel about turn-based RPGs. It can be a little grind-heavy in the middle. You can probably finish it within a week to ten days playing a couple hours a day, less if you use a strategy guide to make sure you don't waste any time or miss any important quest items. I think the story and characters are what really makes up for a lot of the other things it maybe isn't great at, for a lot of people.

Kinda hard to really illustrate what it was like seeing it for the first time when it was brand new. The opening cinema along with the soundtrack was like a revelation compared to anything that had ever come before and it really made the game feel like a huge deal. I played the hell out of it back in high school but I never finished it at the time since I kept getting distracted by new wrestling games coming out. So a little over a year ago I finally committed to finishing it and I knocked it out in a few days.

I like it, it's fun. Not very hard although it's easy to miss a couple of items if you don't know exactly where to look or how to get them, but it doesn't make the game unbeatable if you don't get them, there's just a few things that make it a little easier. Or a lot easier. Knights of the Round Materia kind of makes the last Boss fight super easy, but it's an optional Materia and not mandatory to complete the game. RPGs have come a long way since then but I think it's still a lot of fun and it was very innovative at the time.
FFX is the only FF game I've played to this day so far and I liked it a lot, even though it's a somewhat polarising game among a significant portion of the fandom mostly due to the cast of characters not being so liked overall. I mean, OK Tidus and Yuna are meh, but what's wrong with Auron and Lulu? Rikku, Wakka and Khimari aren't bad either.

Anyway, I have experience with turn based RPGs. I've also played DQ8, Earthbound and Pokémon before. So I know what to expect from that kind of gameplay.

A little grinding is always expected in these kind of games.

I am not expecting a super hard game. Final Fantasy is literally the most popular RPG series on the planet alongside Pokémon. Therefore it is meant to be accessible to people who are either new to the genre or don't play a lot of JRPGs.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote