The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #621
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
More, if anyone absolutely, positively must know:

Spoiler:
* Kylo kills Snoke.
* Kylo is bad guy and remains dark at end.
* Rey is the Last Jedi at the end and does not turn Dark.
* Leia lives.
* Luke dies at end. Pulls an Obi-Wan.
* Yoda convinces Luke to train Rey.
* "The Resistance" is in disarray at the end.
* There's a ton of humor.
* Rey’s lightsaber is destroyed
* Rey’s parents are junk dealers and left her. She's just a random person strong in the Force.
* Phasma dies.
* Luke fights Kylo in a scene where his life force is drained.
Hmm... Interesting.

Spoiler:
I'm glad Rey's a random rather then a SkySolo or Kenobi strong in the Force, I was afraid we'd end up with a lame dynasty like they kept overusing in the books.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #622
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Welp, time to avoid the thread
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #623
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

A lot of people coming out of that screening suggesting...

Spoiler:
That while it's not outright said, it's strongly implied that new character Rose Tico is the daughter of Luke Skywalker.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #624
Vegita-San
Emperor

Spoiler.. FINN SURVIVES!

Crud. I just ruined 2 people's viewing of the movie.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #625
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I love that Star Wars now represents so many different races. Diversity & gender inclusion is the way of the future.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #626
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I love that Star Wars now represents so many different races. Diversity & gender inclusion is the way of the future.
hey Andrew, get the plant meter out. screams brainwashing here ;o)...
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #627
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I love that Star Wars now represents so many different races.
What are you talking about? There's about 1,000 different races seen in the original 6 movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
hey Andrew, get the plant meter out. screams brainwashing here ;o)...
He might be being sarcastic.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #628
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

He might be being sarcastic.
I dunno.. All I know is IIII was being sarcastic .

other people tend to turn SJW at a scary switch flip these days.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #629
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
As a black man, this offends me. /s

Honestly though, this compulsion people have to pat franchises on the back for just tossing in a non white male character every now and then is baffling to me. The story and narratives are more important IMHO. You can have s*itty, mediocre characters of any race or gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 12-12-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #630
Vegita-San
Emperor

Virtue Signaling. they have to desperately show they are better than everyone else by saying 'Look what we're doing! We don't care if the work is good or bad, but look what WE are doing!'

take the new super girl show for example. an entire episode was apparently devoted to homophobia. In a FRIGGEN SUPER HERO series. sigh.

Although now you are confusing poor shark blade. they might have thought you'd praise them for saying what they said ;o).

----just saw the video. Avery Brooks is Brilliant.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #631
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
----just saw the video. Avery Brooks is Brilliant.
He's also batshit crazy. Has anyone ever seen him in Shatner's "The Captains"? He's got some kind of dementia... it's actually uncomfortable to watch.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #632
Vegita-San
Emperor

there are times i think that...and then there are times i wonder if that is just his way of talking.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #633
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Even a busted clock is still right twice a day

I saw that bit from "The Captains" a few years ago. I always just assumed he was really high that day.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #634
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This is pretty angering. This is what I asked the guy who's seen it and this is what he said (not really any spoilers here, just stuff about the political landscape of the new trilogy):

Spoiler:
Do we get a better understanding of the New Republic, the Resistance, and the First Order? Meaning, the whole lay of the land? I mean, if the whole thing in 7 was that the New Republic were pacifists so the "Resistance" was their way of plausibly deniably fighting the First Order... why would there still be a "Resistance" after the First Order blew up those bunch of worlds in 7? Why wouldn't the New Republic full-on declare war at this point and the "Resistance" stop being a "Resistance"? Is any of this touched on or clarified?

Not really. It’s a Chase movie. First Order chases the "Resistance" the whole time.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #635
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I...might Redbox this one.

Especially if the rumors about
Spoiler:
Luke's death
are true, among other things. It seems like there's no real plan here. Just throw sh*t at the wall and see if it will stick.

I don't feel angry, just ambivalent. If you told me five years ago that I would be feeling "meh" about the second/"dark" chapter in a new Star Wars trilogy, I wouldn't have believed it...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #636
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I...might Redbox this one.

Especially if the rumors about
Spoiler:
Luke's death
are true, among other things. It seems like there's no real plan here. Just throw sh*t at the wall and see if it will stick.

I don't feel angry, just ambivalent. If you told me five years ago that I would be feeling "meh" about the second/"dark" chapter in a new Star Wars trilogy, I wouldn't have believed it...
Spoiler:
Luke definitely dies. It's 100% true. The more I read about it, too, the lamer it sounds... basically, the whole movie he never leaves Ach'to. He creates a Force Projection version of himself that fights Kylo on another world, giving Rey time to escape... then Luke is too worn out from that and dies like Yoda.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #637
Vegita-San
Emperor

that's exactly what it feels like, which is why the dramatic attempts like killing han kind of feel flat.

'lets throw a bunch of nostalgia, attempt 'dark and dramatic, cause that is the thing these days' and people will automatically love it.

I'm seeing this thing next monday. We'll see.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #638
newfan
Mad Scientist

Spoiler:
I was going to ask how he died. Wasn't Yoda 900 years old? ...and even he lived till Jedi.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #639
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So. Does this basically mean that Last Jedi is indeed the revamped Empire Strikes Back? Or is it worse than that?

And why would anybody be surprised that a certain someone doesn't last to the sequel? Always seemed pretty obvious to me.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #640
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So. Does this basically mean that Last Jedi is indeed the revamped Empire Strikes Back? Or is it worse than that?
I don't think we'll have a fair analysis of that until a month or so from now when people chill on the "ZOMG!!! BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!" kind of stuff. Hell, I may even go in and see it this weekend and be more forgiving than I'd be objectively immediately thereafter.

Quote:
And why would anybody be surprised that a certain someone doesn't last to the sequel? Always seemed pretty obvious to me.
Well, I thought that
Spoiler:
the idea was to really push these new characters, while utilizing Luke to make a daisy chain at least into 9 of old into new, possibly even into 10 (reasons being simple: Han was now dead and even before Fisher passed, it was clear her subsequent portrayals of her wouldn't be substantial so neither of those characters could fill that role). Clearly I was wrong.

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw