The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #41
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Funny how shootings now have to have big casualty counts now to even warrant discussion. Just the day before the one in Ky, a kid here in Texas walked into thw cafeteria of his school, and shot his former girlfriend and barely missed another kid. The ONLY reason he didn't continue the spree was that he ran out of ammo and fled. Those kids in the cafeteria that day got lucky. Not only did the girl survive, but he was stopped while still in the property and arrested. But all anyone outside our area wants to talk about is the one where they weren't so lucky. Interesting the way people have just gotten used to these things and only take notice when there are massive deaths or injuries.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #42
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

That event also has the one-two punch of domestic violence and the system working, neither of which are big news gets.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Funny how shootings now have to have big casualty counts now to even warrant discussion. Just the day before the one in Ky, a kid here in Texas walked into thw cafeteria of his school, and shot his former girlfriend and barely missed another kid. The ONLY reason he didn't continue the spree was that he ran out of ammo and fled. Those kids in the cafeteria that day got lucky. Not only did the girl survive, but he was stopped while still in the property and arrested. But all anyone outside our area wants to talk about is the one where they weren't so lucky. Interesting the way people have just gotten used to these things and only take notice when there are massive deaths or injuries.
Yes, it's strange how accustomed we've become. It's easy to feel quite helpless and like you're slowly sliding down the conveyor belt into this kind of unavoidable terror-filled future.
There seems to be no reasoning with this kind of crazy. Right now my feeling is that change will only come from a slow but sure cultural shift. Not just laws, but a different way of thinking or evolution. Tall order.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #44
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yes, it's strange how accustomed we've become. It's easy to feel quite helpless and like you're slowly sliding down the conveyor belt into this kind of unavoidable terror-filled future.
And how we should react?

People die all the time. Most of the time you are completely helpless to do anything. Just accept it and try to help where you can and don't let other things weight you down - it's a sure way to madness.

Also, impression is just that: an impression, which exists only because new "social media" gives you more access to more news. I am pretty sure, if you go and find all cases all violence in the schools for the past decades - it most likely will be close to how it is nowadays. Just before you didn't had ways to know about it..
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And that's just here in the states. Every day something horrible is happening somewhere, whether it's busloads of people getting machine-gunned in Egypt, the 30 families a day getting mutilated by the cartels in Mexico, or the women getting openly burned alive in the streets of Guatemala.

Is this some new thing? Of course not. People are just up in arms about it on their keyboards more nowadays, doing quality loud, mutual complaining with one another over the internet while changing nothing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #46
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah horrible things have always happen. But I don’t think more people becoming aware of all these horrible things is bad. Modern communication tech has helped many become aware of what they probably would have never known about years ago. And more awareness is good right? Its just the tragic incidents have to impact the eyes and ears of people with power and not only online folks.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #47
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-eyeball View Post
Whether arming teachers and other school staff is a feasible solution I do know that an overwhelming majority of these mass shooters when facing an equal force (i.e. someone with a gun) they are either shot by another armed person or they quickly shoot themselves. Of course this isn’t always the case but from what I’ve seen it seems to go this way more often than not.

I’m all for a law abiding citizen being able to protect themselves and their loved ones with the best means available. I would not have a problem with teachers that are well trained in firearms use protecting my kids at school. I would however prefer I be the one carrying the gun and watching over my kids but I can’t be with them every minute of every day.
You understand. This is how it should be everywhere. No gun free zones at all. We have plenty of gun laws, too many really. Criminals don't follow the law. If they want it, guns or drugs, they find it. More regulation doesn't work. If a criminal knows there is a chance they'll get shot trying to shoot up a place, they're going to think twice.

I'm also not even remotely suggesting people just carry guns because 'Merica, most States have minimal requirements to get a permit, even the States with Constitutional Carry. Get one, learn how to use it and then carry it ever day. Its actually saved my hide twice in the year and a half that i've carried. This asinine notion that a sign posted will save lives is asinine. Same as the comic book artists that claim they'd just punch someone with a gun, holstered, at conventions just because they don't like them. Not one of the cons I've been to have even noticed and all the artists I've met are still drawing... lol.

Face your fears. Heft a gun, go to a range, shoot off a few dozen rounds. Pewtherapy works wonders.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #48
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
You understand. This is how it should be everywhere. No gun free zones at all. We have plenty of gun laws, too many really. Criminals don't follow the law. If they want it, guns or drugs, they find it. More regulation doesn't work. If a criminal knows there is a chance they'll get shot trying to shoot up a place, they're going to think twice.
Considering how pretty much all of our public massacres end with the shooter being killed by the authorities or taking their own life, I think you're placing FAR too much importance on the deterrent of armed defenders.

These people are sick; pretty sure none of them really give a crap if they make it out alive at the end.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
These people are sick; pretty sure none of them really give a crap if they make it out alive at the end.
It's true. No one is walking into a school with an assault rifle unloading on people is doing so with the remote expectation that they're going to be walking away from it, nor would anyone doing that be concerned with adhering to the latest gun laws.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #50
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's true. No one is walking into a school with an assault rifle unloading on people is doing so with the remote expectation that they're going to be walking away from it, nor would anyone doing that be concerned with adhering to the latest gun laws.
"Oh no, if I do this, I'll be breaking gun regulations!"
"Oh no, if I do this, I'll probably end up dead!"

Those are rational thoughts. Not happening in these people.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #51
plastroncafe

The criminals don't follow the law argument conveniently neglects the fact that laws give a wronged party avenues for redress.

The speed limit's not going to keep most people from speeding, but guess who's going to be at fault should the speeder get into an accident and harm another person.

If you don't like no gun zones, I would highly suggest not going to them.

And I'll be honest, I don't think the people who pull these Mass school shootings are mentally ill, I think they're entitled.
The one that no one talked about where the guy came in and shot his ex-girlfriend, that's not mental illness that's entitlement.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If you don't like no gun zones, I would highly suggest not going to them.
What are you supposed to do if that's the school district you in, and that's where your kid has to go to?

Quote:
And I'll be honest, I don't think the people who pull these Mass school shootings are mentally ill, I think they're entitled.
In what way? I mean, if we agree that the shooters going into schools killing a bunch of kids aren't expecting to live... they're basically suicidal, same as the guys that want to kill themself by drawing empty guns on cops ("suicide by cop"). If that doesn't denote some kind of mental illness (at the very, very least some heightened form of depression), I don't know what does.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #53
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Considering how pretty much all of our public massacres end with the shooter being killed by the authorities or taking their own life, I think you're placing FAR too much importance on the deterrent of armed defenders.

Great point. I think this is deceptively easy to overlook.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #54
plastroncafe

Quote:
What are you supposed to do if that's the school district you in, and that's where your kid has to go to?
Your kid doesn't have to go to the public school that your districted in.

Quote:
In what way? I mean, if we agree that the shooters going into schools killing a bunch of kids aren't expecting to live... they're basically suicidal, same as the guys that want to kill themself by drawing empty guns on cops ("suicide by cop"). If that doesn't denote some kind of mental illness (at the very, very least some heightened form of depression), I don't know what does.
I gave a specific example.
That boy went into the school to shoot his ex-girlfriend, and anyone who got in his way. His ex-girlfriend, meaning at some point she told him no and he thought her no was the wrong answer.

He was using the very same logic of deterrence that y'all are expressing here. That having a gun means no one will stand up to you, he was wrong.

And I think you're confusing having depression with being depressed. They're not the same thing.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Your kid doesn't have to go to the public school that your districted in.
Since when? In WA that's very much the case. i.e., if your house falls on this side of X street, your kid has to go to this high school; if your house falls on the other side of X street, your kid has to go to this other high school.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #56
plastroncafe

Quote:
Since when? In WA that's very much the case. i.e., if your house falls on this side of X street, your kid has to go to this high school; if your house falls on the other side of X street, your kid has to go to this other high school.
Well if you're insistent on not having to pay out of pocket for school, then yeah. But you don't have to send your child to public school.

There's home school, there's private school...
A quick Google tells me that people are trying to get school choice on the ballot, you may want to get involved in that Grassroots movement.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
There's home school, there's private school...
Nobody can afford that.

Quote:
A quick Google tells me that people are trying to get school choice on the ballot, you may want to get involved in that Grassroots movement.
What for? They're all "gun free zones."
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #58
plastroncafe

That's going to come as a shock to all the people I know who homeschool.

But we digress.
As a mentally ill person I am more than a bit tired for me and mine being blamed for the faux entitlement of others.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #59
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Quote:
This is all true but what do the overwhelming majority of these massacres have in common? GUN FREE ZONES!!! If you are a sicko intent on doing maximum damage of course you go to the places where nobody is able to meet you with equal force! Most criminals have a problem with the police but they don’t go to a police station to shoot one! I think it’s fair to say that these sickos have an agenda when they set out to do these terrible things so if you can fight back with equal force I absolutely believe the damage can be minimized. Those no firearms signs have never deterred a criminal from committing horrible acts if anything those signs say “please come in and fleece the helpless sheep”!

I have a concealed carry and have had to pull a firearm twice in self defense and in both instances not a single shot was fired but the situation was resolved effectively and the opposition I was up against was dealt with by the authorities and I/others walked away unharmed.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #60
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Nobody can afford that.

What for? They're all "gun free zones."
Homeschool shouldn't be expensive
But Private schools are definitely expensive. I know in some areas like mine. Families can send their children to private school at the city's cost, if they live in an area where their public school is considered "failing" which is most of the schools around here.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andrew likes tags, plastron hates white men*, plastrons tears, second pc