The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
So, what are your top 10-20 favourite video games of all time?

Pretty self-explanatory title.

In no order, I'd say my top 20 favourite games of all time as of today would be:

Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man 2
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Football Manager 2011
Pokémon Omega Ruby
Sonic Mania
F-Zero GX
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Mega Man X
Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mega Man 3
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tekken 5
Animal Crossing: A New Leaf
King of Fighters 2002
Super Smash Bros. 4

Honorable mentions: Mega Man X2, Tetris(NES), Mario Kart Double Dash, Sim City(SNES), Sim City 2000(Saturn), Pokémon Red and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

What about you? You can either make a top 10 or 20.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,639
In no specific order:

-TMNT 4: Turtles In Time
-TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES)
-Super Mario World
-Yoshi's Island
-The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
-The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
-The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword
-Donkey Kong Country series
-Pokemon series
-Animal Crossing: A New Leaf
-Wario Land
-Kirby: Planet Robobot
-Crash Bandicoot (original trilogy)
-Super Mario Galaxy series
-Mario Kart 8
-Super Smash Bros series
-Team Fortress 2
-Portal series
-Half Life series
-The Godfather

Honorable mentions: Aladdin (SNES), Klonoa, DoReMi Fantasy, TMNT: Fall Of The Foot Clan, Doom 2, Left 4 Dead, Broforce, Metal Slug, AVGN Adventures, Rampage, & a host of other first party Nintendo stuff that goes without saying (like pretty much every mainline Mario/DK/Zelda/Kirby/etc. title). I realize I cheated on a few by having sequels included, count those as a tie if you're anal about it.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
FF2
Shining Force series. All games
Mortal Kombat series. All of the main games.
Street Fighter Series. All of the main games, yes I even enjoy SF1
FF8 best FF ever.
FF13, 2nd best ever.
Assassins Creed games. 2 is my favorite though.
Titan Quest.
Zeus Master of Olympus, Greek city building game.
Pharaoh, Other city building game this one base in Egypt.
And of course Caesar city building game base in ancient Rome.
And I round the series with Emperor, city building game base in China. Out of the games, I like Zeus best.

Vampire Bloodlines
Tomb Raider series.
Streets of Rage series
Sonic
Zelda games
Pokémon games Own all main series games, lucky me.

Tons more of course.
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
In no specific order:

-TMNT 4: Turtles In Time
-TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES)
-Super Mario World
-Yoshi's Island
-The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
-The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
-The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword
-Donkey Kong Country series
-Pokemon series
-Animal Crossing: A New Leaf
-Wario Land
-Kirby: Planet Robobot
-Crash Bandicoot (original trilogy)
-Super Mario Galaxy series
-Mario Kart 8
-Super Smash Bros series
-Team Fortress 2
-Portal series
-Half Life series
-The Godfather

Honorable mentions: Aladdin (SNES), Klonoa, DoReMi Fantasy, TMNT: Fall Of The Foot Clan, & a host of other first party Nintendo stuff that goes without saying. I realize I cheated on a few by having sequels included, count those as a tie if you're anal about it.
You kinda cheated by listing series instead of single titles. Couldn't you pick a stand out favourite among those series you've listed?

But I get it. It's hard to make these kind of tops. I bet in 2 years my top 20 will look a bit different. Also, I listed about 6-7 honorable mentions... I was about to list a bunch of them, thus making it a top 50. it's hard, man.

Props for having Alladin(SNES) in there. I have that game and loved it when i was a kid. Pretty solid platformer. Capcom used to make pretty good licensed Disney games.

Doremi? I assume it's based on the magical girl anime?

The Godfather? The 2006 game? First time I see someone listing it as their personal favourite. That's what I like about these kind of threads. I'm always waiting for someone to list a couple of more obscure games or games that rarely appear in these sort of top 10s-20s. But the game didn't really have bad reviews overall from what I remember.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
I FORGOT about Shantae.
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
FF2
Shining Force series. All games
Mortal Kombat series. All of the main games.
Street Fighter Series. All of the main games, yes I even enjoy SF1
FF8 best FF ever.
FF13, 2nd best ever.
Assassins Creed games. 2 is my favorite though.
Titan Quest.
Zeus Master of Olympus, Greek city building game.
Pharaoh, Other city building game this one base in Egypt.
And of course Caesar city building game base in ancient Rome.
And I round the series with Emperor, city building game base in China.
Out of the games, I like Zeus best.

Vampire Bloodlines
Tomb Raider series.
Streets of Rage series
Sonic
Zelda games
Pokémon games Own all main series games, lucky me.

Tons more of course.
Wow I've never heard of these games. I see Pharaoh, at least, is on Steam. Would you recommend picking up these games in 2018 for someone like me that has never played them?

Man I miss the old Sim City from the 90s. Sim City(SNES) And Sim City 2000 were fuuuuuuun. Sim City 4 is cool, tho.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wow I've never heard of these games. I see Pharaoh, at least, is on Steam. Would you recommend picking up these games in 2018 for someone like me that has never played them?

Man I miss the old Sim City from the 90s. Sim City(SNES) And Sim City 2000 were fuuuuuuun. Sim City 4 is cool, tho.
They are late 90's and early 2000's games. May be a bit of work tracking em down. Of course a true fan like me would never let them leave my cold dead hands lol.

Some game play footage of each game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDoUokol2cI Zeus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXyxxZz3rA Pharaoh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhRf7OcIgRY Caesar III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0cnsiBP4E Emperor rise of the middle kingdom.

When I was a kid, the mention city building games were my drugs lol. And now I am older well I still have them well, I still play em.
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
They are late 90's and early 2000's games. May be a bit of work tracking em down. Of course a true fan like me would never let them leave my cold dead hands lol.

Some game play footage of each game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDoUokol2cI Zeus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXyxxZz3rA Pharaoh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhRf7OcIgRY Caesar III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0cnsiBP4E Emperor rise of the middle kingdom.

When I was a kid, the mention city building games were my drugs lol. And now I am older well I still have them well, I still play em.
I'll check those videos later, thanks.

I don't care about tracking down physical copies. As long as they're on Steam or GOG then it's fine.

Ever played City Skylines? It's a modern city building game. It's like the Sim City successor, I've heard.

I've only played Sim City as far as city building games go, but I've always liked the idea of building cities and public transportation systems since I was a kid.

But since I'm poor at math and have terrible art/drawing skills, I'd never make it as an architect or a civil engineer
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Props for having Alladin(SNES) in there. I have that game and loved it when i was a kid. Pretty solid platformer. Capcom used to make pretty good licensed Disney games.

Doremi? I assume it's based on the magical girl anime?

The Godfather? The 2006 game? First time I see someone listing it as their personal favourite. That's what I like about these kind of threads. I'm always waiting for someone to list a couple of more obscure games or games that rarely appear in these sort of top 10s-20s. But the game didn't really have bad reviews overall from what I remember.
Aladdin is a classic. The visuals, soundtrack, everything about it is vibrant, lively, & true to the source material. I've played through it countless times over the years. Its controls aren't perfect, & it's a bit short, but mighty fun.

Yep, that game. The Godfather is one of my favorite films of all time, so being a part of that world, interacting with those characters, hearing many of the original cast members record new dialogue, it's a big treat for fans. I love mafia media/culture in general, so it'd be fun even without those trademarked elements. I have the Wii version, & the controls add something to the fun as well. I've put probably like 1000 hours or more into it, that makes it a natural fit for a top 20. It's my GTA.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,056
My top 5 favourite games of all time in no specific order:

1. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
2. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Counter-Strike 1.6/Condition Zero
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'll check those videos later, thanks.

I don't care about tracking down physical copies. As long as they're on Steam or GOG then it's fine.

Ever played City Skylines? It's a modern city building game. It's like the Sim City successor, I've heard.

I've only played Sim City as far as city building games go, but I've always liked the idea of building cities and public transportation systems since I was a kid.

But since I'm poor at math and have terrible art/drawing skills, I'd never make it as an architect or a civil engineer
I played Sim city. Never played Skylines.

The games are "like: Sim city in a way, but your busying building a ancient city and not a modern utopia. You manage money, politics, feeding water and clothing your people and giving them homes to live em. Building armies to defend your boarders, or in the case of Zeus go for conquest and have the beating city states pay you tribute. In the other 3 cities games, you work for the boss(Pharaoh, Caesar, or Emperor) and they pretty much order YOU around lol.

If Caesar says he needs a army to go into Gaul, you better supplied him. If you refuse to many of the bosses request, they will invade you and kick you out of office. In Zeus as your own city state, you are your own boss.
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Aladdin is a classic. The visuals, soundtrack, everything about it is vibrant, lively, & true to the source material. I've played through it countless times over the years. Its controls aren't perfect, & it's a bit short, but mighty fun.

Yep, that game. The Godfather is one of my favorite films of all time, so being a part of that world, interacting with those characters, hearing many of the original cast members record new dialogue, it's a big treat for fans. I love mafia media/culture in general, so it'd be fun even without those trademarked elements. I have the Wii version, & the controls add something to the fun as well.
Yeah, I like SNES Alladin for all the things you mentioned as well. The Genesis version by Virgin is considered the best one in general, but the SNES one is pretty fun as well. Capcom really made some great games in the early 90s.

Ah, I see. makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I played Sim city. Never played Skylines.

The games are "like: Sim city in a way, but your busying building a ancient city and not a modern utopia. You manage money, politics, feeding water and clothing your people and giving them homes to live em. Building armies to defend your boarders, or in the case of Zeus go for conquest and have the beating city states pay you tribute. In the other 3 cities, you work for the boss(Pharaoh, Caesar, or Emperor) and they pretty much order YOU around lol.

If Caesar says he needs a army to go into Gaul, you better supplied him. If you refuse to many of the bosses request, they will invade you and kick you out of office. In Zeus as your own city state, you are your own boss.
Sounds fun.

What other games do/did you play on PC? Just city building type of games or other stuff as well?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #13
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, I like SNES Alladin for all the things you mentioned as well. The Genesis version by Virgin is considered the best one in general, but the SNES one is pretty fun as well. Capcom really made some great games in the early 90s.

Ah, I see. makes sense.


Sounds fun.

What other games do/did you play on PC? Just city building type of games or other stuff as well?
2 more games for the pc, Vampures the masquerade bloodlines. You play as a new vampire finding his or her way around in the world of the night. You are from one of the 12 or so Vampire clans, and depending on what clan you choose in the select screen, can determine the story or how you handling stuff.

Other one is a game base loosely off the odyssey in the early 2000's. It was sort of combat puzzle base? The combat was not great, but it was fun. I got eating by a Cyclopes because I drunk too much lol.
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
2 more games for the pc, Vampures the masquerade bloodlines. You play as a new vampire finding his or her way around in the world of the night. You are from one of the 12 or so Vampire clans, and depending on what clan you choose in the select screen, can determine the story or how you handling stuff.

Other one is a game base loosely off the odyssey in the early 2000's. It was sort of combat puzzle base? The combat was not great, but it was fun. I got eating by a Cyclopes because I drunk too much lol.
I dunno those games either. I was never much into PC games. My brother owned The 7th Guest when I was a kid. That was our first PC game. Then we got FIFA 2001 and Championship manager 2000/2001 and a couple of other football games.

I didnt' really start playing games on pc until I joined steam around 2009. I eventually discovered the Civilization and Europa Universalis series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #15
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,484
Fallout New Vegas- Literally my favorite game of all time
Megaman Legends- Mostly Nostalgia
BloodBorne/Dark Souls 1- I love the aggresiveness of Bloodborne but I also like how Dark Souls is very methodical.
Yakuza 0- I have been wanting a grounded beat up and here it is.
Red Dead Redemption- Has the denseness of Bully and the grittyness of Grand theft Auto
Batman Arkham City- Not a lot of games can have good open world and good level design but Arkham City manage to pull it off
Metal Gear Solid 3- Literally my favorite stealth game of all time.
Zero Horizon Dawn- This is the game that made me feel like a Hunter
Doom 2016- Pretty much every good thing from old school and modern shooters
Resident Evil 4- Not just because it revolutionize the Resident Evil gameplay but also how many ways you can execute different task
Infamous 2- I feel as if this is a better Superhero game than the Batman games
Tekken 5- To this day I can't get the opening theme out of my head
Spiderman 2- See Megaman Legends
Super Smash Bros Melee- This is basically my favorite party game
Deus Ex Human Revolution/Dishonored- What can I say I love stealth games where you have a number of different paths you can take
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #16
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.
 
Krutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Rawkzone
Posts: 2,591
In no specific order and without giving much thought...

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Twisted Metal 2
Twisted Metal: Black
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Superhot VR
Resident Evil 7 VR
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005)
WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain
Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari Damacy
Manhunt
Uncharted
Infamous
Life Is Strange
Life Is Strange: Before the Storm
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Mass Effect Trilogy
__________________

Spoiler:
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,661
OK...

---

1. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
2. Final Fantasy IV (II here, originally)
3. Wing Commander IV
4. Quest for Glory II
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
6. The Adventures of Willy Beamish
7. CastleVania: Bloodlines
8. Dune 2
9. Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco & the Time Rippers
10. Leisure Suit Larry II

Probably.

If I were to go on, it'd be some weird mixmatch of different sequels of Wing Commander, King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Ultima, and Final Fantasy. Conquest of the Longbow would rate, too!

And now I'm sad they don't make good adventure or dogfighting games anymore.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
In no specific order and without giving much thought...

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Twisted Metal 2
Twisted Metal: Black
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Superhot VR
Resident Evil 7 VR
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005)
WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain
Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari Damacy
Manhunt
Uncharted
Infamous
Life Is Strange
Life Is Strange: Before the Storm
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Mass Effect Trilogy
A Link to the Past stands out in your list.

As for HCTP... that's a game I used to love when I was a teen. I must have played about 100 hours of it or close to it. But as I lost interest in wrestling as I've gotten older I also have lost interest in wrestling games; even for those I liked a lot when I was a kid/teen such as DOR 2, SYM, HCTP and SvR 06. That being said, I played No Mercy a couple of years ago and liked it a lot for an old game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
OK...

---
I was bored and curious

Interesting list you got there. Were Leisure Suit Larry games that fun? I've always been curious about them somehow.

I'm surprised no Mario or Zelda game crack your list.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #19
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant
 
Toitlefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 265
Huh, I guess I never thought to make a list of my favorite games so I’ll play along (in no order)...

Super Mario Bros 1. and 2. annndd 3
Ninja Warriors (snes)
B.O.B (sega)
Space Invaders
Galaga
Twisted Metal 2
Turtles in Time
Tmnt 2 (arcade)
X-men (arcade)
Mega Man X
Fallout 3, 4
Resident Evil

There’s a few more for PS2 and 3 I can’t think of at the moment.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #20
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 684
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
OK...

---

1. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
2. Final Fantasy IV (II here, originally)
3. Wing Commander IV
4. Quest for Glory II
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
6. The Adventures of Willy Beamish
7. CastleVania: Bloodlines
8. Dune 2
9. Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco & the Time Rippers
10. Leisure Suit Larry II

Probably.

If I were to go on, it'd be some weird mixmatch of different sequels of Wing Commander, King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Ultima, and Final Fantasy. Conquest of the Longbow would rate, too!

And now I'm sad they don't make good adventure or dogfighting games anymore.
I beaten all the Leisure Suit Larry games lol. But I seem to recall games 1 and 3 and 7 the most though. II had that shower scene right with Larry naked?
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.