The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #201
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
2016 movie was failure because i didnt fight the turtles.
But you did in the 2014 film, and it wasn't the greatest success.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #202
AlessandraDC
Thug
 
AlessandraDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 82
I would love to see an origin story similar to IDW and 2012 - in the sense that I'd like to see a human Yoshi and Saki when they were actually friends, "brothers". I really liked Splinter's characterization in the Nick cartoons too.
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #203
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
I would love to see an origin story similar to IDW and 2012 - in the sense that I'd like to see a human Yoshi and Saki when they were actually friends, "brothers". I really liked Splinter's characterization in the Nick cartoons too.
Yeah I'd like to see something with Saki and Yoshi before or around the feud. Hopefully they are both in it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #204
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,059
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/q...ak-1202970399/

Just barely a mention (as TMNT staying under the PD banner while Form and Fuller launch a new production name), but at least proof that another film is still on the agenda.



Fully Formed Entertainment... They're really just doing that just to use the play on their names, right? lol
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #205
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,812
I don't understand why they are still involved after the reception & performance of the last film.

I know I'm outside of the loop, but doesn't whoever is "in charge" have the ability and desire to hand it off to someone else at this point?

I still believe the film has potential to be good, based on the idea that they know they need a new direction after the last film flopped and the belief that people can learn from their mistakes. lol.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #206
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't understand why they are still involved after the reception & performance of the last film.

I know I'm outside of the loop, but doesn't whoever is "in charge" have the ability and desire to hand it off to someone else at this point?

I still believe the film has potential to be good, based on the idea that they know they need a new direction after the last film flopped and the belief that people can learn from their mistakes. lol.
I believe its bc Platinum Dunes is owned by Viacom/Nick they are doing it in house they don't have to split any profit from outsourcing to another movie studio I am assuming.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #207
Galactus
Mad Scientist
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,843
^^^

Paramount does not own Platinum Dunes.

They do (or did) have something called a 'first look' deal with them which means when Paramount gets a newly acquired property they can give Platinum Dunes first refusal to work on it and while they are deciding no other production company can make a pitch.

Why are they sticking with Platinum Dunes after the abysmal failure of the previous Platinum Dunes movie? Who knows.

I imagine no other production company is chomping at the bit to do TMNT. Since the last movie tanked the movie series is pretty much dead and reviving it is a pretty big task especially when you consider that Hollywood has been convinced that the Fred Wolf show in live action + extra doses of goofyness is the way to commercial success and for the first time nothing prevented for them fully going for that approach and it flopped hard. I don't think anyone knows how to approach this now that their silver bullet turned out to be a dud.

Not to mention Rise of the TMNT is not making any waves as a TV show or merchandising. You often hear that "TMNT was just a fad that doesn't work anymore" but prior to Out Of The Shadows you could at least battle that by pointing out that even the bad movies have made money, the toys sell well and the cartoon draws good ratings and fan response but you can't really do that right now.

Then again we don't know how much Paramount or Platinum Dunes is committed to doing another TMNT movie right now. I'm sure some ideas have probably been kicked round but we've heard nothing since the (surprising) mention that PD will be working on a new movie with a "new approach". I would not be surprised if they put that out there to let people know they still have it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #208
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,812
Sometimes being a TMNT can be really frustrating. Sorry to vent that here, but it just crossed my mind as I was reading this thread. I feel like Iíve been waiting for a great TMNT film all my life.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #209
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Sometimes being a TMNT can be really frustrating. Sorry to vent that here, but it just crossed my mind as I was reading this thread. I feel like Iíve been waiting for a great TMNT film all my life.
I fear at times that the 1990 or the 07 film will be the best we will ever get in terms of tone and or quality..... I keep praying that TMNT finds it's Nolan or Feigi
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:33 AM   #210
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.
 
Krutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Rawkzone
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I fear at times that the 1990 or the 07 film will be the best we will ever get in terms of tone and or quality..... I keep praying that TMNT finds it's Nolan or Feigi
Working on it. Gimme another 10 years or so
__________________

Spoiler:
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #211
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I imagine no other production company is chomping at the bit to do TMNT. Since the last movie tanked the movie series is pretty much dead and reviving it is a pretty big task especially when you consider that Hollywood has been convinced that the Fred Wolf show in live action + extra doses of goofyness is the way to commercial success and for the first time nothing prevented for them fully going for that approach and it flopped hard. I don't think anyone knows how to approach this now that their silver bullet turned out to be a dud.
If some genius ever got it in their heads to present the TMNT story as a family of outcasts and their group of ne'er-do-well friends trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them, you'd have an evergreen property. Other shows and films that are running with that premise have shown that people will respond to that universally.

When you "reintroduce" something to a new generation, you have to distill it down to the base elements and start from there. What I've described above are the true "base elements" of TMNT. Family. Outcasts. Fighting to find their place. Simple. You build on that.

You distill it down to "pizza", "goofy", and "Cowabunga", you're left with a mess. You can't build anything meaningful on that. It's mush. Once people hit a certain age, they realize that all of that stuff is insipid. At least, they're supposed to. The people holding the reigns, however, have decided to be snake-oil salesmen, selling a bad product to an audience too young/dumb to understand they're being worked. They just yell "COWABUNGA!" and expect everyone to throw money at them. And some people actually do, which makes the whole situation even worse.

What TMNT is actually about has been force-bred out of the property entirely because NOBODY actually understands what it was even about in the first place, and they keep trying to build a solid gold mansion on top of a rotting swamp. If we're serious about seeing real change, we simply HAVE to collectively decide and agree not to reward these people for repeatedly giving us junk. Only when EVERY attempt at a cartoon rehash has completely failed would anyone even think about trying anything of substance.

Feel free to hope. I don't.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #212
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If some genius ever got it in their heads to present the TMNT story as a family of outcasts and their group of ne'er-do-well friends trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them, you'd have an evergreen property. Other shows and films that are running with that premise have shown that people will respond to that universally.

When you "reintroduce" something to a new generation, you have to distill it down to the base elements and start from there. What I've described above are the true "base elements" of TMNT. Family. Outcasts. Fighting to find their place. Simple. You build on that.

You distill it down to "pizza", "goofy", and "Cowabunga", you're left with a mess. You can't build anything meaningful on that. It's mush. Once people hit a certain age, they realize that all of that stuff is insipid. At least, they're supposed to. The people holding the reigns, however, have decided to be snake-oil salesmen, selling a bad product to an audience too young/dumb to understand they're being worked. They just yell "COWABUNGA!" and expect everyone to throw money at them. And some people actually do, which makes the whole situation even worse.

What TMNT is actually about has been force-bred out of the property entirely because NOBODY actually understands what it was even about in the first place, and they keep trying to build a solid gold mansion on top of a rotting swamp. If we're serious about seeing real change, we simply HAVE to collectively decide and agree not to reward these people for repeatedly giving us junk. Only when EVERY attempt at a cartoon rehash has completely failed would anyone even think about trying anything of substance.

Feel free to hope. I don't.
Well said and more or less sums up the big issue with TMNT today.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #213
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Well said and more or less sums up the big issue with TMNT today.
I didn't get to say in the other thread, I appreciate your appreciation, and whatever frustration I may feel at other people presently isn't directed at you specifically.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #214
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,551
What does TMNT need, this is my opinion;

What is needed, is a back to basics approach to tmnt; go back to the story of four turtles (Leo, Don, Mikey, and Raph), who falls down a storm drain, and mutated by ooze. They are raised in the sewers of New York and taught martial arts by a mutant rat who learned those martial arts (either as the pet of a former martial artist, or a mutated martial artist himself), and they come together to form a family of outcasts, not fully understood by the world above. They befriend afew humans (April, Casey, perhaps a few others) and often battle other martial artists (especially the foot clan), criminals, mutants and monsters to protect either humanity or to just protect themselves. As Leo 656 said, your themes are; outcasts, a family, and trying to find their place in the world.

There, that's it. That's what you need for a version of TMNT. You start there, and build the other extensions of the mythology on to that. Everything else; pizza, slapstick,random goofiness, 100 different silly mutants, toyetic vehicles. all of those things are the icing on the cake. Without a strong core, there is nothing there. Things like wither Leo and Raph fight, bandana color, and themes outside of the core ones vary from version to version, and despite what fans of those particular versions think, they are malleable. But you need that core, or you end up with inane stupidity that will entertain the kiddies with it's bright colors and fight scenes, but is otherwise all flash and no substance.

We need a TMNT movie that puts that core first, and builds around it.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #215
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If some genius ever got it in their heads to present the TMNT story as a family of outcasts and their group of ne'er-do-well friends trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them, you'd have an evergreen property. Other shows and films that are running with that premise have shown that people will respond to that universally.

When you "reintroduce" something to a new generation, you have to distill it down to the base elements and start from there. What I've described above are the true "base elements" of TMNT. Family. Outcasts. Fighting to find their place. Simple. You build on that.

You distill it down to "pizza", "goofy", and "Cowabunga", you're left with a mess. You can't build anything meaningful on that. It's mush. Once people hit a certain age, they realize that all of that stuff is insipid. At least, they're supposed to. The people holding the reigns, however, have decided to be snake-oil salesmen, selling a bad product to an audience too young/dumb to understand they're being worked. They just yell "COWABUNGA!" and expect everyone to throw money at them. And some people actually do, which makes the whole situation even worse.

What TMNT is actually about has been force-bred out of the property entirely because NOBODY actually understands what it was even about in the first place, and they keep trying to build a solid gold mansion on top of a rotting swamp. If we're serious about seeing real change, we simply HAVE to collectively decide and agree not to reward these people for repeatedly giving us junk. Only when EVERY attempt at a cartoon rehash has completely failed would anyone even think about trying anything of substance.

Feel free to hope. I don't.
I agree with this.
First and foremost Turtles need good dynamics and personality, than comes "pizza" and the other stuff.
__________________
Now with 150% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #216
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,498
We've been on the same page a lot lately, and frankly it's a little uncomfortable, aaaaaand I'unno what I'm supposed to do about it.

Thanks, I guess.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #217
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,059
Likewise, sounds pretty good to me! Now get rid of the lazy film makers. I hope the new writer isn't a lazy writer and is capable of writing something decent.



Btw, for anyone who skipped OotS but might want to take look at, now that it won't require giving them money, it's finally premiering on Nick Thursday night.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #218
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,498
Given how many copies I've seen clogging up the $5 bins everywhere I go, I'm inclined to believe that every single person who actually wanted to pay for that atrocity has already done so.

In another year, those things are gonna start showing up in the mail with those little sample boxes of Tide.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #219
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,059
lol Well, as long as they aren't like the plague of AOL discs long ago.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #220
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,498
They'd still have more use in 2019 than DVDs of that f*ckin' thing.

Everyone needs a good coaster, after all. I wouldn't wanna insult my glasses by setting them on that hideous box art.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
papenbrook the troll, papenbrook triggered

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.