The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I was commenting the other day, in another thread here, that I wouldn't be heartbroken if Spider-Man went back to Sony at this point.
I see a lot of this out there and it's strange. It's like people suddenly have gotten amnesia and have forgotten that Sony hasn't made a good Spider-Man movie in approaching 20 years.

I mean, for the MCU itself sure, it matter less so. Yeah, we've already gotten the big team-up movies with Spider-Man and there's not really any more of that on the horizon. I just hate to think that this might push Marvel to (re)bulid things around, I dunno, Captain Marvel as opposed to what it seemed like they were intending to do, which was push Spider-Man to the forefront a bit more.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #22
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I see a lot of this out there and it's strange. It's like people suddenly have gotten amnesia and have forgotten that Sony hasn't made a good Spider-Man movie in approaching 20 years.

I mean, for the MCU itself sure, it matter less so. Yeah, we've already gotten the big team-up movies with Spider-Man and there's not really any more of that on the horizon. I just hate to think that this might push Marvel to (re)bulid things around, I dunno, Captain Marvel as opposed to what it seemed like they were intending to do, which was push Spider-Man to the forefront a bit more.
They just last year released Into the Spider-Verse, which is a fan-favorite, and way more entertaining than at least half the MCU films from the last five years.

I look at Sony as a bigger risk, with potential for greater reward. The MCU Spider-Man films will always be very good. A Sony Spider-Man film could be utter trash or something that rises above Disney limitations into something wonderful. Same pattern we saw over at Fox or any other movie studio.

I feel like I should keep saying I'd prefer for Spider-Man to stay in the MCU, even though no one is calling me out on it. I just want it to be clear, but I do have a few positive feelings towards the possibility of Sony taking lead again.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I just hate to think that this might push Marvel to (re)bulid things around, I dunno, Captain Marvel as opposed to what it seemed like they were intending to do, which was push Spider-Man to the forefront a bit more.
I wouldn't mind seeing Rogue swipe her powers when the X-Men finally arrive.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Watts isn't "locked down" for another movie, and is being courted by other studios

https://www.newsarama.com/46616-jon-...os-report.html
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
They just last year released Into the Spider-Verse, which is a fan-favorite, and way more entertaining than at least half the MCU films from the last five years.
1- wasn't live action, doesn't count in the garage scheme of things

2- Spidey in the MCU didn't prevent them from making Spider-Verse and they couid even make a sequel if they wanted without messing with the MCU.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #27
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
1- wasn't live action, doesn't count in the garage scheme of things

2- Spidey in the MCU didn't prevent them from making Spider-Verse and they couid even make a sequel if they wanted without messing with the MCU.
1. Still counts. It was a movie they produced. They aren't the content creators on any of the projects they're producing, even though they sometimes overstep their boundaries, arguably. Their job is to manage the production of the film and get the right people for the job. While animation, as a medium, can be quite different from live action film, the job of the producer is largely the same. It's not the same difference as, say, hiring a writer to direct a film or vis versa.

2. Sure. I agree. But that wasn't my point. My point was that Sony is a studio capable of producing high quality Spider-Man films, just as recently as last year. It wasn't that Sony producing high quality Spider-Man films is not possible with Spider-Man simultaneously in the MCU.

Aside from that, I really feel like there will be negotiations that end with Spider-Man back in the MCU. Ya know, going by the outcry we are seeing online, as well as the fact that it truly seems to benefit both parties.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The Monopoly Mouse will win in the end
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #29
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Thank God for this. I'm so happy.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 08-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #31
Sumac
Banned

So I see Sony hasn't learnt **** from their past.

OK, waiting for another Spider Man reboot, when they will run this series into the ground. Again.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #32
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think they're allowed to have a 47% market share.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #33
ZariusTwo
Overlord

While we'll never know how Stan would feel about all this, his daughter has spoken out, and it's not in favour of Disney

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/22/stan-...derman-marvel/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #34
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Haha, my thoughts exactly!
https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/08...y-buying-sony/

Quote:
I've written previously about the fact Spider-Man is the most important IP Sony has, so much so that without it Sony's financial situation would be weak. It's also no secret that Sony Pictures is likely to wind up bought by another company at some point in the next couple of years, for all of the reasons the much larger and more successful 20th Century Fox did the math and realized they couldn't compete longterm in a marketplace requiring a larger stable of branded IP, global multimedia footprint, and marketing power than Fox had, relative to more financially successful and IP-laden studios. If and when Sony winds up in a merger with a company like Netflix, Amazon, or Apple, the Spider-Man IP will revert back to Marvel — and it's unlikely anyone currently involved with the IP at Sony will get a dime when that happens.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...k#7407add76b50

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-22-2019 at 08:31 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
So I see Sony hasn't learnt **** from their past.

OK, waiting for another Spider Man reboot, when they will run this series into the ground. Again.
They aren’t rebooting and Tom Holland is still spiderman. All this means is if a deal doesn’t go through you just won’t see Spider-Man teaming up with the other Marvel superheroes anymore. And no more mentions of Tony Stark in Spider-Man movies.

But everything else in the current Spider-Man movies will continue on as usual. I’m pretty sure Tom Holland is signed on for at least 2 more movies either way.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #36
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They aren’t rebooting and Tom Holland is still spiderman. All this means is if a deal doesn’t go through you just won’t see Spider-Man teaming up with the other Marvel superheroes anymore. And no more mentions of Tony Stark in Spider-Man movies.

But everything else in the current Spider-Man movies will continue on as usual. I’m pretty sure Tom Holland is signed on for at least 2 more movies either way.
I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't give two ***** of what Tom Holland is signed up for. They could literally reboot Spider-Man yet again and have Holland be a random extra in the class if they wanted.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why would they do that when Far from home grossed the most amount for a movie they had? Sony has no intention of rebooting, this deal was just about Marvel getting the profits and to keep using him in MCU movies.

Sony has been building up their spiderman universe with Venom and other spinoffs and will continue using Holland as long as possible. If anything they’re probably jumping at the chance to do the Spider-Man Vs Venom movie they wanted now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #38
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Why would they do that when Far from home grossed the most amount for a movie they had? Sony has no intention of rebooting, this deal was just about Marvel getting the profits and to keep using him in MCU movies.

Sony has been building up their spiderman universe with Venom and other spinoffs and will continue using Holland as long as possible. If anything they’re probably jumping at the chance to do the Spider-Man Vs Venom movie they wanted now.
Right. There is every reason to believe Sony will want to stick with Tom Holland, as well as any other groundwork laid by Marvel, that is still accessible to them.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That's not all it means. It means absolutely 0 quality control from Marvel/Disney... and we saw how that goes with Spider-Man 3, the Spider-Man 4 they tried to rush Raimi into, Amazing Spider-Man, and Amazing Spider-Man 2. As in the Hot Garbage Express™.

If it comes to it, it'll be a bit sad watching Sony destroy a thing that's been built up over the last two movies. Though it wouldn't be the first time they've torn a thing they've had success with in the third movie.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #40
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
That's not all it means. It means absolutely 0 quality control from Marvel/Disney... and we saw how that goes with Spider-Man 3, the Spider-Man 4 they tried to rush Raimi into, Amazing Spider-Man, and Amazing Spider-Man 2. As in the Hot Garbage Express™.

If it comes to it, it'll be a bit sad watching Sony destroy a thing that's been built up over the last two movies. Though it wouldn't be the first time they've torn a thing they've had success with in the third movie.
I agree with this.

They've had some successes, kinda unexpected, with Venom and Spiderverse... but the odds aren't in their favor.

Hopefully the Tom Hardy / Tom Holland movie will be good. That's about the only hope I have for the near future.