The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Avenger
Thug

Any fan of Green Lantern here? (comics)

I just finished the 3 omnibus from Geoff johns run on Green Lantern, and I absolutely loved it!

Its covers everything from "Green Lantern Rebirth" (Comeback of Hal Jordan) to "Sinestro Corps War" to "Blackest Night" to "The End" of the News 52. After that Geoff Johns leave the title.

My next goal is to finish the run of the News 52, read Green Lantern Corps and then attack the Rebirth Era.

Do you have specific favorite storyline from GL comic book?
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Oh, man... Look, I hear ya. I loved it too in a big bad way when I was reading month-to-month.

But you're about to get an absolute spanking from Andrew.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I just finished the 3 omnibus from Geoff johns run on Green Lantern, and I absolutely loved it!

Its covers everything from "Green Lantern Rebirth" (Comeback of Hal Jordan) to "Sinestro Corps War" to "Blackest Night" to "The End" of the News 52. After that Geoff Johns leave the title.

My next goal is to finish the run of the News 52, read Green Lantern Corps and then attack the Rebirth Era.

I picked up Green Lantern:Rebirth#1 back in the Fall of 2004 and I have read it ever since. I am reading the third succeeding volume from the mini-series, Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps to this day. Its had a couple of low points, but its been the most consistently interesting book that DC has put out for a longtime. Sinestro Corps War is still the best storyline to come out of it.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I picked up Green Lantern:Rebirth#1 back in the Fall of 2004 and I have read it ever since. I am reading the third succeeding volume from the mini-series, Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps to this day. Its had a couple of low points, but its been the most consistently interesting book that DC has put out for a longtime. Sinestro Corps War is still the best storyline to come out of it.
Well, my favorite moments are when Hal interacts with the Corps, so I guess a comic titled "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps" should please me.

The only issue I have is the format. I'm tired of TPB format with 5 or 6 issues; I prefer Deluxe Edition or bigger. So either way I wait for I-don't-know-how many years to have the format I want, or I buy it in numeric version on Play Store (Android).
Old 05-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

I've become a fan of the current "Green Lanterns" series (with Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz), but that's the extent of my interest in this space cop franchise.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

So basically you haven't read any good GL comics. That's a pity. But you're interested in reading more GL stuff, so that's good... start with anything before Geoff John's. Like almost anything.

Stop by my website here (also has a message board just like this one: http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So basically you haven't read any good GL comics. That's a pity. But you're interested in reading more GL stuff, so that's good... start with anything before Geoff John's. Like almost anything.

Stop by my website here (also has a message board just like this one: http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com
Y'know, I just realized I've never actually read your reasonings behind hating Geoff Johns so much. What is it about his work you dislike so much? From what I've read, I found his strength lies in developing lesser known villains into something actually interesting.

Then again, I've avoided the shitshow that was the War of Light, so, apparently I got out before it got real ugly. But I liked his Green Lantern run from Rebith through the Sinestro Wars and thought the Booster Gold series dropped in quality as soon as he left.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I found it odd how the Guardians of the Universe were depicted as enabling villains and wondered why the space aspect became the only aspect. There is also villains like Goldface, Shark, Sonar (finally got an arc under Robert Venditti years later), and Evil Star that have completely disappeared. So yes there are problems with Johns run, but I enjoyed how he reworked the mythos as a whole. Its unfortunate how the numbering had to restart two times,but that is comics for you.

What do you all think of the Grant Morrison announcement? I do not think he has written Hal aside form a bit part on Final Crisis.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Y'know, I just realized I've never actually read your reasonings behind hating Geoff Johns so much. What is it about his work you dislike so much? From what I've read, I found his strength lies in developing lesser known villains into something actually interesting.
He's the poster child for everything that's wrong with "hot," fratboy writers today. Lots of splash pages, double-splash pages in issues you can read in 2 minutes, giant "everything you've known is WRONG!" events that cliffhang into even gianter giant events, all the while hiding behind A-list artists so their stuff always sells. You will never see Geoff "slum" it with a B or C-list artist. He's a hack of the worst kind.

He was always a decent ideas guy, at least, but then somewhere around GL Mega Event #2 or #3 he ran out of ideas, so he didn't even have that.

And 95% of his big events aren't even about telling a good story or getting into any of the characters' heads, but either A) Going down a list of things he wants to retcon from the character(s)'s history, or B) Retconning something of his own. He also has a big tendency to introduce supporting characters and subplots and then completely forgetting about them, ignoring them.

To be fair, "Rebirth" itself wasn't bad. And maybe the first... 15 or so issues of his initial Vol. 4 of Green Lantern, before the whole franchise became Sinestro Corps War #1-500.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
He's the poster child for everything that's wrong with "hot," fratboy writers today. Lots of splash pages, double-splash pages in issues you can read in 2 minutes, giant "everything you've known is WRONG!" events that cliffhang into even gianter giant events, all the while hiding behind A-list artists so their stuff always sells. You will never see Geoff "slum" it with a B or C-list artist. He's a hack of the worst kind.

He was always a decent ideas guy, at least, but then somewhere around GL Mega Event #2 or #3 he ran out of ideas, so he didn't even have that.

And 95% of his big events aren't even about telling a good story or getting into any of the characters' heads, but either A) Going down a list of things he wants to retcon from the character(s)'s history, or B) Retconning something of his own. He also has a big tendency to introduce supporting characters and subplots and then completely forgetting about them, ignoring them.

To be fair, "Rebirth" itself wasn't bad. And maybe the first... 15 or so issues of his initial Vol. 4 of Green Lantern, before the whole franchise became Sinestro Corps War #1-500.
That's fair enough. Truthfully, I can't think of a single "big event" in comics I ever actually liked (maybe Civil War and to a much lesser extent, Crisis on Infinite Earths) so I tend to bail out once they start revving up. Which is why I bailed out once I saw that Sinestro Corps War was only the beginning.

I'm not sure the reasoning behind pitchforking someone for only working with high grade artists, though. You're a filmmaker - wouldn't you want your stuff to look as best as it possible can be, especially if you already have good working relationships with the people who can make it happen? I'm not even sure DC would allow Johns teaming with a lesser, unproven artist for their big titles which he's always attached to. But my knowledge of how the comic industry works isn't that sharp, admittedly.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I haven’t read any GL. I think the first things I will read are the below two books.

I liked the three Superman Earth One books and have heard some good things about the GL one. And I think the 75 year edition will give me a good foundation.

1. Green Lantern Earth One HC Vol 01

2. Green Lantern A Celebration Of 75 Years HC

I’m hoping to read these sometime in the next half year.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #12
Avenger
Thug

Quote:

What I bought since then: (outside of recent eras)

Green Lantern/Green Arrow run
Green Lantern: Earth One

I intend to buy Kyle Rainer's first run eventually.

I already knew about your message board. (still I didn't know it was your's)

So you don't like Geoff Johns. What do you think about Peter Tomasi's job on GLC? I read a few and I liked it, but the volumes are hard to find.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
What I bought since then: (outside of recent eras)

Green Lantern/Green Arrow run
From the 70s? That's not bad at all.

Quote:
Green Lantern: Earth One
Elseworlds.

Quote:
I intend to buy Kyle Rainer's first run eventually.
Oh, you absolutely should. Since it's pre-Johns, DC has made it hard to find now, though.

Quote:
So you don't like Geoff Johns. What do you think about Peter Tomasi's job on GLC? I read a few and I liked it, but the volumes are hard to find.
I know Peter Tomasi and he's a great guy. It's also no coincidence that when Peter stopped being an editor -- namely, Johns' editor -- that Johns' stuff went from the "Rebirth" and early Vol. 4 stuff into "nonsense mega-event city" stuff.

His GLC stuff was... the best it could be. It was so many people crammed into a single book, none of them got a chance to shine. Still, he found time for the Soranik Natu-Kyle stuff and the realization of the prophecy from Alan Moore's old "Tygers" story from "Tales of the GLC," which was cool. Even the reopening of Guy's "Warriors."
Old 05-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Its ironic, I was lamenting in how the earth-based villains in Hal's rogues gallery have had no use for 15 years. The very next day Goldface was killed off.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 05-10-2018 at 04:51 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 AM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm gonna admit and it's counter to what Lantern fans apparently like, but I am a sucker for he damn rainbow corps.

Introduce a new Lantern color/type? Make a pre-existing character a Lantern, even for one panel? I'm there.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:09 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I'm gonna admit and it's counter to what Lantern fans apparently like, but I am a sucker for he damn rainbow corps.

Introduce a new Lantern color/type? Make a pre-existing character a Lantern, even for one panel? I'm there.
No wonder you wiped me out of the TMNT Wikis.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #17
Avenger
Thug

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with you.

Blackest Night was supposed to be a big deal because all the differents colored lanterns were working together to stop Black Hand & Nekron.

The thing is, immediately after that, they did it again to stop Krona.

Another annoying stuff in the News 52: the multiple titles events like "The third army" or "Wrath of the first lantern", where you need 2 or 3 issues of each title to complete the story.

Ok, the event is also sold in a volume of it's own, but when you only read the main GL title, it's frustrating to get the beginning, the end, and missing a big part in the middle.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you.

Blackest Night was supposed to be a big deal because all the differents colored lanterns were working together to stop Black Hand & Nekron.

The thing is, immediately after that, they did it again to stop Krona.

Another annoying stuff in the News 52: the multiple titles events like "The third army" or "Wrath of the first lantern", where you need 2 or 3 issues of each title to complete the story.

Ok, the event is also sold in a volume of it's own, but when you only read the main GL title, it's frustrating to get the beginning, the end, and missing a big part in the middle.
The corrupt Guardians created most of their own rogues gallery and the ones Earth bound are ignored. There was not necessarily the rainbow corps alliance going for two consecutive stories that bothered me it was Hal Jordan and Sinestro having a marriage of convenience lasting for three calendar years that began with Blackest Night and continued on until Sinestro lost his green ring after he and Hal beat Black Hand in the afterlife.

What do you all think Grant Morrison will do?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What do you all think Grant Morrison will do?
All I know: amazing, amazing things. It's the best possible thing imaginable for GL.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
No wonder you wiped me out of the TMNT Wikis.
Uh...
What?

Tags
green lantern