The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 07:31 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumTurtle View Post
Dude! I love you I'm obsessed with old links/show promos. I have some TMHT from Going Live/BBC already but could you find some from Sky? Really like to see there advertising for the show. As a side note, the Ninja part was always kept for showings of the films yet they still edited any use of nunchucks. Ridicules
Thankfully, the UK couldn't edit the computer and video games.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #22
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

Slight correction to the original post - TMHT did NOT premiere on Going Live in September 1990! In fact it was on CBBC afternoons at 4.35pm (Wednesdays until "Beneath these Streets", then Tuesdays) from January 1990. "Return of the Shredder" was indeed the first episode shown, and the run ended with "The Sword of Nowhere" (note, no Ninja in the title!) Mid way through season 3.

My first episode was "Curse of the Evil Eye" in late January. At the same time, issue #1 of the TMHT Adventures comic was in the shops! I picked that up and continued to collect the comic.

The Going Live run in September was a repeat showing...and this time I was there ready with a VHS tape to get all the episodes I had previously missed.

I have fond memories of the Hero Turtles (hence the name!)

Edit:regarding why the BBC didnt get season 4 onward. It was the same reason they only purchased season 1 of Thundercats. Because they screened weekly, circa 60-65 episodes were enough to run over several years (Thundercats screened 30 episodes of the 65 episode season 1 in 1987, then repeated them, and then didnt screen the remainder until 1990... by which point it had been five years since the US showed them!!).

So it was not so much being outbid by Sky (BBC and Sky often purchased American programmes as a joint bid -splitting the terrestrial and satellite rights e.g. Star Trek Next Gen), but rather just wanting to save the money!

Last edited by HeroTurtlesFan; 05-07-2020 at 01:18 PM.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Did season 1 air in the UK a tall? or anywhere in Europe under the TMHT branding? What happened to seasons 4-10? Did they go to another network? Seems foolish of the BBC to have passed on several seasons of a highly rated show?
Welcome to the forum, looks like we had the same type of upbringing TV wise in the UK.

So to answer your questions yes BBC only showed Seasons 2 and 3. Sky One showed at least Season 1-7 as part of The DJ Kat Show:

and if you had the right channels you would have grown up with this channel:

so if you didn't have Sky or satellite you were screwed. The show was still edited for its first four seasons but at least we got to see all the episodes. I felt so lucky to get new episodes and I felt sorry for all those kids that never got to see after Season 3.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #24
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I have some TMHT from Going Live/BBC already but could you find some from Sky? Really like to see there advertising for the show.

There's also a Planet of the Turtleoids commercial but can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Thankfully, the UK couldn't edit the computer and video games.
No, they just created a UK version (which I maintain is still better than the US Amiga one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
Slight correction to the original post - TMHT did NOT premiere on Going Live in September 1990! In fact it was on CBBC afternoons at 4.35pm (Wednesdays until "Beneath these Streets", then Tuesdays) from January 1990. "Return of the Shredder" was indeed the first episode shown, and the run ended with "The Sword of Nowhere" (note, no Ninja in the title!) Mid way through season 3.
I had no idea for years this was the case. I guess I missed the first showings on CBBC. Going Live's Return of the Shredder was my first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
So it was not so much being outbid by Sky (BBC and Sky often purchased American programmes as a joint bid -splitting the terrestrial and satellite rights e.g. Star Trek Next Gen), but rather just wanting to save the money!
That's right although unlike Turtles BBC ended up eventually screening all seven seasons of TNG some years after Sky did.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #25
Galactus
Foot Elite

If anyone is curious this is the version of the intro they used for season 4 on wards. They even kept it for the Red Sky seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FvgNG5ln1I

Last edited by Galactus; 05-08-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #26
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
If anyone is curious this is the version of the intro they used for season 4 on wards. They even kept it for the Red Sky seasons.

Thanks for sharing. That was the same version used in Ireland too. I still prefer it to the US one. We were lucky to able to watch all the episodes without having to get Sky.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-10-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #27
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yep, I remember that. I always thought the UK logo was better than the US one minus the Hero word.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #28
Overlord

Quote:

That's the same as the original intro seasons 4–7 (no idea what the original Vacation in Europe intro was).
Old 05-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #29
Galactus
Foot Elite

^^^

Not quite. They cut out the part were the turtles jump out of the manhole in front of the Channel 6 building that leads into the mutating logo and the end were they throw the pizza at the screen which again morphs into the logo. It's not much but it is different.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #30
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

The online Internet archive has a VHS rip of the UK VHS for ?Invasion of the Punk Frogs? and ?Case of the Killer Pizzas?. I would link them here, but I?m not sure how the moderators would feel about the legality of this
Old 06-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #31
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I am American, and I can never understand Europe's ban on the nun chucks which is a real ancient weapon used during Japan's hey day, and it was ok for Swords and Sai's to not be ban. It really made no sense to me. Historic wise, there is nothing out of the normal of what a Japanese warrior would be using with the 4 turtles. It just made no sense to me. It would be like making a movie about Greece, and say we cant show the Dory its ban in our country. But the Xiphos is ok to show.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I am American, and I can never understand Europe's ban on the nun chucks which is a real ancient weapon used during Japan's hey day, and it was ok for Swords and Sai's to not be ban.
It was the United Kingdom. The British politicians had gotten the stupid idea that because nunchucks were common in street gangs, they should be edited out from cartoons.

But knives, ice hockey sticks and baseball bats are probably OK...
Old 06-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #33
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It was the United Kingdom. The British politicians had gotten the stupid idea that because nunchucks were common in street gangs, they should be edited out from cartoons.

But knives, ice hockey sticks and baseball bats are probably OK...
If it was a gang issue, than I agree with them removing Baseball bats and knives. They did that right lol. In the US, the mob's main force weapon was a baseball bat. I know the tommy gun gets more media attention and all, but when they wanted money from you, most often it would be a bat to the knees or something like that.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #34
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
If it was a gang issue, than I agree with them removing Baseball bats and knives. They did that right lol. In the US, the mob's main force weapon was a baseball bat. I know the tommy gun gets more media attention and all, but when they wanted money from you, most often it would be a bat to the knees or something like that.
The United Kingdom did not cut any scenes with knives, ice hockey sticks and baseball bats.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #35
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The United Kingdom did not cut any scenes with knives, ice hockey sticks and baseball bats.
So what was Selphie's weapon in Final Fantasy VIII?
Old 11-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #36
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

https://youtu.be/29byI6Cuq0

Didn’t realise the show aired on FKids too. I assumed that was only the 2003 series

https://youtu.be/29byI6Cuq00

Last edited by The Turtle Terminator; 11-10-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: YouTube link didn’t work, then I think I broke the entire post
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote